HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Edgework drills?

Old
07-12-2011, 07:26 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Edgework drills?

I feel like my biggest weakness as a skater/player is how I use my edges on really sharp/hard turns (especially at high speed), the majority of the pressure is always on my outside foot (i.e. right foot when turning left, left foot when turning right), my inside foot is just sort of hanging along for the ride, more coasting than actively making me turn. Anyone have some good drills/tips for improving your edgework on hard turns so as to get more even pressure between the two skates?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Focus on leading with your head and shoulders first, your body will follow. Another idea that's simple and something you may laugh at but helped me a ton was the skating on one foot as long as I could while alternating between inside and outside edges. Do it while turning, stopping etc. Do it for as long as you can, I'm not talking about 5 or 10 seconds. If you can do it for a minute, you'll see a huge improvement in your edges on both sides.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 07-12-2011 at 08:07 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammy View Post
Focus on leading with your head and shoulders first, your body will follow. Another idea that's simple and something you may laugh at but helped me a ton was the skating on one foot as long as I could while alternating between inside and outside edges. Do it while turning, stopping etc. Do it for as long as you can, I'm not talking about 5 or 10 seconds. If you can do it for a minute, you'll see a huge improvement in your edges on both sides.
I've seen alot of Junior/Little Flyers doing this. Doesn't look easy.

It's kind of like skating on one leg right?

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:21 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I've seen alot of Junior/Little Flyers doing this. Doesn't look easy.

It's kind of like skating on one leg right?
Yup. You're putting all your weight on that one edge and practice turning, skating, stopping etc on it. It's something a buddy of mine showed me and it's the best edge training I've found yet.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
AlanHUK

this was posted a while back, the one leg weaving someone mentioned is covered on it, it starts around 2:20 into the video, has commentary explaining how to do it as well as video.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:09 PM
beth

^ I've been trying to do this for months. I do it at least 10 times forwards and backwards each time I go out to practice. I'm still losing momentum when I do it, but I'm getting better each time. I figure once I get this down forwards and backwards, I'll be able to do anything, because it's SO HARD! I'm realizing that a lot of it has to do with getting your upper body in the right place - if you try to do it with just your legs, it won't work so well. It's a GREAT drill.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:26 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
this was posted a while back, the one leg weaving someone mentioned is covered on it, it starts around 2:20 into the video, has commentary explaining how to do it as well as video.

Some great looking drills in there for sure, especially the one-legged slalom stuff BadHammy mentioned. Vaguely remember doing this stuff in practices and power skating classes when I was younger, but it's been quite awhile

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:34 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammy View Post
Yup. You're putting all your weight on that one edge and practice turning, skating, stopping etc on it. It's something a buddy of mine showed me and it's the best edge training I've found yet.
This will be the best one. Hands down.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Prodigyhockey

Edge Work Drills

Hello All,

I put together a nice scoop it that highlights a bunch of good edge work drills. Let me know what you think...

http://www.scoop.it/t/hockey-edge-work-drills

Prodigyhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Noir

Apart from the 1 legged slalom, you could also compliment your development by strengthening your legs/leg muscles. Especially your thighs.

Turning on a tight radius @ high speeds requires (& also stopping on a dime) puts a lot of strain on your leg muscles to keep holding your turn radius. I'm not a coach but I notice during games, when I get tired or fatigue out, my turning radius gets a bit wider and my stopping distance also increases.

I'm guessing good leg muscles will not just help your conditioning, but will also give you good confidence in your body when throwing hard, fast and sharp turns.

I do various leg exercises, but this is my favourite (when I'm at the gym):

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:12 AM
rinkrat22

so you are really only using your inside edge to turn? try doing big c-cuts on one foot, but only use the outside edge. start out slow, make sure you are getting good turns. In clinics I tell the players to make sure the come all the way around by facing the stands and then the player benches. so if you're skating the length of I the ice from goal line to goal line. push off with with say your right foot and then coast on your left outside edge until you make a half circle, the cross you hips over and continue on your right outside edge. until you make a half circle again. your only stride will be on an outside edge and you are just using momentum to propel yourself. you have to have a good knee bend to do this well. master this one and I'll give you some more.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote