HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty vs. Subban

View Poll Results: Doughty or Subban
Doughty 267 62.38%
Subban 161 37.62%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 05:29 PM
HotPie

vCash: 500
I love Subban but....

I'd pick Doughty over him any day.

Old
07-12-2011, 05:36 PM
the tribute

this isn't even close. doughty by a mile.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

I'll take subban,

Here's why,

for all the ranting and raving people give about not being Homers, which I dont particularly care I really don't think that it's flawed to think that when the cards all fall (age 32) we will have the best defenseman in the league.

I've watched hockey for a long time, and it's the first time since Crosby and Ovechkin that I've seen a rookie player take over and dominate in games the way Subban has. He has something about him, and the work ethic and maturity tell me he will succeed. As well being in the limelight in Montreal doesn't affect the way it has with Carey, he's built to be here.

Since the Benching Incident earlier in the season when he struggled. He put up 27 points in his last 42 games, as well as 12 goals, A pace that would've put him atop the league in goals scored in his rookie year. I think your witnessing the birth of our next superstar to couple with Price.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:12 PM
la25ecoupe

Subban gives better interview. Doughtry seems like a boring guy.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:16 PM
icerocket

Doughty

Only homers wouldn't take him.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
But then you have people saying "Subban will get there" or "Subban is still progressing". Wait... Doughty is younger! 7 months or 1 day... Don't make it sound like he's done progressing. He's still learning. He's younger AND has more NHL experience. You can't factor that out.
I think the idea is that since Subban is a harder worker (supposedly), he's going to keep improving for a long time, whereas the lazy partying (supposedly) Doughty, will stop improving or get worse, and therefore at some point Subban will surpass Doughty.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
At this point I have to go with Doughty, no matter how much I love Subban. DD had a rough season, and he still put up 40 points and has a Norris nomination to his resume. He's younger than PK and has more experience.

Subban's rookie season looks better though, so who knows (at an older age, to be fair)!
PK .....NO CONTEST

he does things at top gear tha Drew cant do

plus he is built like a tank .....phyiscally stronger than Drew

remember Drew has no pressure in LA ...solid D and hockey is 4th of all sports

PK had to carry the D for a strech with our injuries in this media craze town

NO CONTEST ...

Old
07-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Protest the Hero

Doughty? More like Doughy, am I right!

Has anyone used this one yet?

Old
07-12-2011, 07:23 PM
the tribute

eeesh come on guys. he plays one season and he's automatically better then doughty.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Where did you get that Doughty was a fat ass party animal? Because he's 21 and likes to have a few drinks with beautiful women?
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/27...-drew-doughty/

Here's one legit article about Doughty and the proof of the huge mental gap between PK and Doughty. And there are other reports that are worse about his partying ways and lack of training.

Yes I agree that Doughty is better (not that much) now, but I believe that Subban will end up with the better career. Just a gut feeling. No guarantees that Doughty will start training and focusing seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tribute View Post
eeesh come on guys. he plays one season and he's automatically better then doughty.
No, some of us think he potentialy can be as good or better in a few years. Nothing automatic about it, far from it.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-12-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: merged
Old
07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
the tribute

This whole "he's fat" crap is absolutely ridiculous. It's like you guys need that excuse to make your opinion feel better.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:53 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Doughty is at another level than PK imho. He had a bit of a down season but he's still younger and a top10 defensemen in the league. PK isn't there yet.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tribute View Post
This whole "he's fat" crap is absolutely ridiculous. It's like you guys need that excuse to make your opinion feel better.
You sound like you're taking this too seriously.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:27 PM
tinyzombies

Completely different players. Doughty hurt his shoulder last year and took a lot of flack for not being at the same level. I thought it was a gutsy performance by him to finish the year.

Both great defensemen. We'll see how they continue to develop. Probably future Team Canada teammates.

Doughty can fall into bad habits moving the puck and positionally. PK seems to have gotten over those growing pains and seems to me the better all around dman right now.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Emanresu Wen

Ask this question in 3 years.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
DDIHH

If you ask me wich player I'd rather watch for the next 10 years: PK

And it doesn't mean he'll be the best of the 2.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

I have to go with Doughty on this one.

I love PK and the kid is good but he's not Doughty good and I'm not really sure yet if he could be that good. Close maybe, we'll have to see.

I have no doubt though that they will both be on the 2014 Canadian Olympic team.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIHH View Post
If you ask me wich player I'd rather watch for the next 10 years: PK

And it doesn't mean he'll be the best of the 2.
That's pretty much what I said.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:21 PM
znk

Doughty and it's not even debatable.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Great One

Some of the posts i've read in this thread just goes to show why Subban is one of the most overrated players in this league. There is no reasonable logic other than complete homerism to argue that Subban will be better than Doughty. Doughty has already proven so much at such a young age that he has already established himself as an elite dman in this league. I can't say that Subban will never be better than Doughty because it's too early to tell but from what we've seen from both players thus far, there is just no evidence to suggest that Subban has a better future. And all those comments that Doughty is too fat and has issues which means that Subban will be better, this is complete BS IMO. If Doughty has been playing out of shape with all these issues then i'd hate to see how talented he'd be if he "straightened" himself out.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
the tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
Some of the posts i've read in this thread just goes to show why Subban is one of the most overrated players in this league. There is no reasonable logic other than complete homerism to argue that Subban will be better than Doughty. Doughty has already proven so much at such a young age that he has already established himself as an elite dman in this league. I can't say that Subban will never be better than Doughty because it's too early to tell but from what we've seen from both players thus far, there is just no evidence to suggest that Subban has a better future. And all those comments that Doughty is too fat and has issues which means that Subban will be better, this is complete BS IMO. If Doughty has been playing out of shape with all these issues then i'd hate to see how talented he'd be if he "straightened" himself out.
And that's why he's the great one.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Krnage

Doughty

Old
07-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I love Doughty (I think he just might be the most complete blueliner in the league right now) but I don't think it's as crazy a question as you're suggesting.

I'm the furthest thing from a blind homer as you'll find in this forum and while I agree that Doughty is more proven, I don't think this question is as absurd as you do. I was skeptical on all the hype too but Subban has all the tools to have a fantastic career. He hasn't put the defense together yet but his offensive skills are exceptional.

I would take Doughty over Subban but I can understand those that might disagree based on potential. A few years ago it would've been absurd to compare an unproven Stamkos to OV and now, not so much. Subban has star quality talent and I think it's shortsighted for anyone to just write him off, even when comparing him to today's great players. It's fine if you want to pick Doughty, but you're not giving PK's talents and potential enough credit here. It's not the ludicrous choice that you're suggesting it is.

I'd go with Doughty because I think overall, he'll be the more complete blueliner but I actually think that Subban will be better offensively in the long run.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 07-12-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 11:30 PM
haburger

what has doughty done to make the kings so great?did i miss a playoff series where the kings actually did sum damage?exactly.p k was massive in the playoffs.he will be better in the end but only time will tell.

Quote:
subban is overrated?i d say underrated bud.playin 20 min a game an puttin up 38 pts in 77 games is unreal for a rookie d man .no?an he s got waaay more pressure playin in mtl than the hockey hotbed of L.A.an for a bonus ,has played almost double the amount of playoff games.i like DD,but subban has the potential to take it to another level.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I love Doughty (I think he just might be the most complete blueliner in the league right now) but I don't think it's as crazy a question as you're suggesting.

I'm the furthest thing from a blind homer as you'll find in this forum and while I agree that Doughty is more proven, I don't think this question is as absurd as you do. I was skeptical on all the hype too but Subban has all the tools to have a fantastic career. He hasn't put the defense together yet but his offensive skills are exceptional.

I would take Doughty over Subban but I can understand those that might disagree based on potential. A few years ago it would've been absurd to compare an unproven Stamkos to OV and now, not so much. Subban has star quality talent and I think it's shortsighted for anyone to just write him off, even when comparing him to today's great players. It's fine if you want to pick Doughty, but you're not giving PK's talents and potential enough credit here. It's not the ludicrous choice that you're suggesting it is.

I think you overlooked the fact that i did mention that it's too early to say who will be better. My argument is that from what we've seen thus far it just don't make much sense to say that Subban will be the better defenceman. We can all make a guess and say that we believe Subban will be better, and i'm ok with that but i'm just saying that there's no logical evidence to back up this prediction.Many people in this room have followed Subban since day 1 and i understand how they can be biased in their opinion, but from alot of the comments i've read, it just seems like they haven't watched much of Doughty and are just basing their opinions on what they've seen from Subban. The only explantions i've seen so far that Subban will be better is that Doughty is out of shape, and has drug and alcohol problems. I don't agree with these statements and think they're BS because if it were true or severe enough to damper his development then i'm sure the Kings would have dealt with the situation before now.

Look, i'm not a Subban hater like alot of other posters on these boards. I get frustrated with his antics at times, but i can see past that and see that this kid will be a great player in this league for many years. I just think it's too early to compare these players because of all Doughty has proven in this league so far. It's almost like comparing Seguin to Stamkos. Stamkos and Doughty have been in the league long enough to establish themselves as elite players whereas Seguin and Subban are just getting started and are just not in the same league as Doughty and Stamkos at this point in their careers.

Closed Thread