HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
  #176
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,598
vCash: 4057
AHL All-Star Bryan Rodney is my favorite player as well.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
  #177
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Name: Johnny
Age: 22
Sex: M
Where You're From: Greenville, SC
Where You Live Now: Greenville, SC
Nationality: American
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: 93 Chevy Truck
Job: Leasing office.
What brought you to HF Boards: When I would search about hockey I'd always get this site so I decided to join.
How you became a hockey fan: Greenville Grrrowl , I didn't become a hardcore hockey fan till around the lockout or year before.
How you became a Canes fan: Thrashers moved and they became my home town team.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Mike Murphy, Bryan Rodney, Erik Cole
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Nik Antropov, Ryan Getzlaf, Keith Yandle, Mike Bossy, David Perron and many more
Other Sports You Like: Mainly all besides golf.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For:Greenville Road Warriors, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Braves
College Attended/Attending: Greenville Tech
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox 360 (gamertag HeShackTheHead) I've owned many more but no longer use them.
Favorite Game(s): NHL Series, Almost all 2D Fighters
Music You Listen To: Ska is my favorite Genre but I love all kinds.
Favorite Movie(s): Office Space, Baseketball
Favorite Book(s): Theo Fleury Story
Favorite Food(s): Pizza, Things that aren't good for you
Favorite TV Show(s): Squidbillies, King of the Hill, First 48
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Tooo many!
Anything Else: I love hockey! I also one time ate a whole papa Johns pizza.
Another South Carolinian. We're taking over, y'all. I'll even look past that whole Grrrowl fan thing for 'ya.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:17 PM
  #178
Johnny8242
Registered User
 
Johnny8242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I met Bryan Rodney when he was on the Checkers (ECHL) like 5 or 6 years ago he was super nice. I was rooting for him to make it to the NHL since then.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:50 PM
  #179
HisIceness
Michal Jordan
 
HisIceness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Name: Johnny
Age: 22
Sex: M
Where You're From: Greenville, SC
Where You Live Now: Greenville, SC
Nationality: American
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: 93 Chevy Truck
Job: Leasing office.
What brought you to HF Boards: When I would search about hockey I'd always get this site so I decided to join.
How you became a hockey fan: Greenville Grrrowl , I didn't become a hardcore hockey fan till around the lockout or year before.
How you became a Canes fan: Thrashers moved and they became my home town team.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Mike Murphy, Bryan Rodney, Erik Cole
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Nik Antropov, Ryan Getzlaf, Keith Yandle, Mike Bossy, David Perron and many more
Other Sports You Like: Mainly all besides golf.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For:Greenville Road Warriors, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Braves
College Attended/Attending: Greenville Tech
Video Game Systems Owned: Xbox 360 (gamertag HeShackTheHead) I've owned many more but no longer use them.
Favorite Game(s): NHL Series, Almost all 2D Fighters
Music You Listen To: Ska is my favorite Genre but I love all kinds.
Favorite Movie(s): Office Space, Baseketball
Favorite Book(s): Theo Fleury Story
Favorite Food(s): Pizza, Things that aren't good for you
Favorite TV Show(s): Squidbillies, King of the Hill, First 48
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Tooo many!
Anything Else: I love hockey! I also one time ate a whole papa Johns pizza.
That there ain't right I tell you what!

Welcome. I also watch the first 48 from time to time. The show is supposed to have some Charlotte episodes sometime soon.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
  #180
Drivebytrucker
Registered User
 
Drivebytrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Hey

Name: Tim
Age: 32
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Toronto, Ontario
Where You Live Now: Ottawa, Ontario
Nationality: Canadian
Mode of Transportation: 2010 Jeep Patriot
Job: Overpaid Municipal Waste Water Operator (The **** Plant)
What brought you to HF Boards: I'm been lurking here for a long time and I generally think you guys know what you're talking about
How you became a hockey fan: Lifer
How you became a Canes fan: Hardcore Whaler Fan since the Geoff Sanderson / Sean Burke / Andrew Cassels / Zarley Zalapski era
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Riding around Ottawa with three Hurricane Car Flags on my Jeep during a play off run....
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Ronnie Franchise, Roddy, Scorvo, and current roster it would have to Ruutu and Gleason.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Brooks Laich, Milan Lucic, and Phil Kessel.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Toronto Bluejays, Toronto Raptors, Toronto FC. For some reason, I never bought into the Leafs.
College Attended/Attending: Canadian Community College (3 year)
Music You Listen To: Lot of Indie Rock / Alt. Country. Faves all time are Drive-by Truckers, Whiskeytown / Ryan Adams, Wilco / Son Volt / Uncle Tupelo, Social Distortion.
Favorite Movie(s): I cry at the end of Rudy every time
Favorite Book(s): Nick Hornby, Douglas Coupland, Chuck Klosterman
Favorite Food(s): I live off footlong veggie subs from Subway
Favorite TV Show(s): Mad Men of course
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Ron Francis #10 Whaler Jersey, 2009 RBK Hurricanes Red


HAPPY TO BE ON BOARD!

Drivebytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:29 PM
  #181
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo
 
Anton H Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia SC
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivebytrucker View Post
Drive-by Truckers,

Welcome aboard good sir!

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:25 PM
  #182
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivebytrucker View Post
Name: Tim
Age: 32
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Toronto, Ontario
Where You Live Now: Ottawa, Ontario
Nationality: Canadian
Mode of Transportation: 2010 Jeep Patriot
Job: Overpaid Municipal Waste Water Operator (The **** Plant)
What brought you to HF Boards: I'm been lurking here for a long time and I generally think you guys know what you're talking about
How you became a hockey fan: Lifer
How you became a Canes fan: Hardcore Whaler Fan since the Geoff Sanderson / Sean Burke / Andrew Cassels / Zarley Zalapski era
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Riding around Ottawa with three Hurricane Car Flags on my Jeep during a play off run....
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Ronnie Franchise, Roddy, Scorvo, and current roster it would have to Ruutu and Gleason.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Brooks Laich, Milan Lucic, and Phil Kessel.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Toronto Bluejays, Toronto Raptors, Toronto FC. For some reason, I never bought into the Leafs.
College Attended/Attending: Canadian Community College (3 year)
Music You Listen To: Lot of Indie Rock / Alt. Country. Faves all time are Drive-by Truckers, Whiskeytown / Ryan Adams, Wilco / Son Volt / Uncle Tupelo, Social Distortion.
Favorite Movie(s): I cry at the end of Rudy every time
Favorite Book(s): Nick Hornby, Douglas Coupland, Chuck Klosterman
Favorite Food(s): I live off footlong veggie subs from Subway
Favorite TV Show(s): Mad Men of course
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Ron Francis #10 Whaler Jersey, 2009 RBK Hurricanes Red


HAPPY TO BE ON BOARD!
While you probably already know this, I should point out that Ryan Adams is from Raleigh as was Whiskeytown, so this was all destiny for you. Of course, he has since completely shunned the state altogether....

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:38 PM
  #183
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center
 
HankClerval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Name: Hank (as far as you know)
Age: 41
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Raleigh NC
Where You Live Now: Durham NC
Nationality: American
Mode of Transportation: 2010 Cooper Mini, license plate S1SU
Job: Geek
What brought you to HF Boards: Longtime listener, first time caller
How you became a hockey fan: Watching the Raleigh Icecaps back in the day
How you became a Canes fan: Long trips to Greensboro
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Late night airport trips during the playoffs
Favorite Cane's Player(s): It's like naming your favorite children.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): The Sedins. Two girls, no Cup.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Redskins (sigh), Durham Bulls, Wolfpack.
College Attended/Attending: NCSU.
Music You Listen To: A lot of Hank Williams lately. Senior, not Junior.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: RF #10 Whaler, Sutter #16 Road White, Blue Team Finland (still regret losing the Icecaps jersey to an ex-girlfriend)

HankClerval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:01 AM
  #184
Carolinas Identity
#freehope
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankClerval View Post
Name: Hank (as far as you know)
Age: 41
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Raleigh NC
Where You Live Now: Durham NC
Nationality: American
Mode of Transportation: 2010 Cooper Mini, license plate S1SU
Job: Geek
What brought you to HF Boards: Longtime listener, first time caller
How you became a hockey fan: Watching the Raleigh Icecaps back in the day
How you became a Canes fan: Long trips to Greensboro
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Late night airport trips during the playoffs
Favorite Cane's Player(s): It's like naming your favorite children.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): The Sedins. Two girls, no Cup.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Redskins (sigh), Durham Bulls, Wolfpack.
College Attended/Attending: NCSU.
Music You Listen To: A lot of Hank Williams lately. Senior, not Junior.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: RF #10 Whaler, Sutter #16 Road White, Blue Team Finland (still regret losing the Icecaps jersey to an ex-girlfriend)
Let's hear it for the Phi Slamma Jamma!!! err.. wait,they lost?! =)

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:42 AM
  #185
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center
 
HankClerval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneInCalgary View Post
Let's hear it for the Phi Slamma Jamma!!! err.. wait,they lost?! =)
/me pours out forties for Lo and V...

--hank

HankClerval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:22 AM
  #186
Drivebytrucker
Registered User
 
Drivebytrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
While you probably already know this, I should point out that Ryan Adams is from Raleigh as was Whiskeytown, so this was all destiny for you. Of course, he has since completely shunned the state altogether....

He married Mandy Moore and sold out.. Come on Ryan! Go back to washing dishes in Raleigh and write some beautiful sad ass country songs.

Drivebytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
  #187
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
anyone that lost an ice caps jersey should be killed... I can't find one anywhere... Give me your ex's name, so I can pick it up

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
  #188
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
All I have from the Ice Caps days is a program and a puck! (caught puck!)

Never had a jersey, but I still see someone wear one occasionally around town.

You've never watched minor league hockey until you've seen the players made to skate laps to "blow" the fog off the ice!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:40 PM
  #189
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center
 
HankClerval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
You've never watched minor league hockey until you've seen the players made to skate laps to "blow" the fog off the ice!
Oh, man, I'd totally forgotten that until just now.

Man, Dorton was a great place to see a game. And by "great place", of course I mean "****hole". Nothing like watching Barry Nieckar chase some poor sucker around the ice.

--hank

HankClerval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
  #190
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,364
vCash: 500
Out of curiosity, does anybody know if Dorton still has an ice plant?

As for dive arenas, the Carolina Coliseum has it beat. Non-regulation sized surface, no seating behind either goal, "box seats" were foldable tables behind the glass, the nosebleeds required a sherpa and an oxygen mask to get up to, there was no scoreclock/jumbotron above center ice (there was a rudimentary scoreclock mounted on the wall above the side the Inferno attacked twice) and the lowest seats that weren't box seats were about 7' or 8' above the ice. It was a dive, but I do miss it from time to time.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:21 PM
  #191
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankClerval View Post
Oh, man, I'd totally forgotten that until just now.

Man, Dorton was a great place to see a game. And by "great place", of course I mean "****hole". Nothing like watching Barry Nieckar chase some poor sucker around the ice.

--hank
I loved watching hockey games break out at the boxing matches LOL

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
  #192
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo
 
Anton H Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia SC
Country: United States
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Out of curiosity, does anybody know if Dorton still has an ice plant?

As for dive arenas, the Carolina Coliseum has it beat. Non-regulation sized surface, no seating behind either goal, "box seats" were foldable tables behind the glass, the nosebleeds required a sherpa and an oxygen mask to get up to, there was no scoreclock/jumbotron above center ice (there was a rudimentary scoreclock mounted on the wall above the side the Inferno attacked twice) and the lowest seats that weren't box seats were about 7' or 8' above the ice. It was a dive, but I do miss it from time to time.
Thanks for the memories. That place made me feel like I was at a cockfight.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:42 AM
  #193
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
Thanks for the memories. That place made me feel like I was at a cockfight.
NP, man. Here's hoping that one day the Inferno return triumphant in new digs. As much as it pains me to say it though, I doubt that day will happen. Still, Greenville's return to the League gives me hope for Columbia. I still can't get over how USC hoodwinked the public on the Colonial Center by saying they'd love to have the Inferno be a tenant and also try to bring in an arena football team.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:48 AM
  #194
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
I love Carolina Coliseum, just because it looked so cool to me as a kid when my parents would take me to USC basketball games there. Definitely was a dump for hockey though.

The Florence Civic Center was a pretty big dump as well. I went to abunch of Stingrays playoff games at both rinks back in the day.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:04 AM
  #195
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
I don't know if Dorton still has an ice plant or not. But they did finally install A/C in the building, so the old fogging problems shouldn't be an issue if they ever decided to use it again. I know it would cost a ton, but it would be sort of cool to see it used again, maybe NCSU could play their games there instead of RecZone, or whatever it's called now. I've actually seen RecZone get a little too full with spectators for college games. Maybe Dorton could be the home ice for all 3 Triangle college teams? I miss going to games there. I lived about 5 minutes away. I could buy a ticket with a student ID for about $5, and beer was about $3. Seating wasn't bad at all, and other than the humidity and fog, it wasn't a terrible place to watch hockey....other than those cowbell people who sat in the corner! Man they were annoying! Anyone remember the Hawaii 5-0 guys. They were there just about every night!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:57 PM
  #196
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Name: Tyler E.
Age: 27
Sex: M
Where You're From: Greenville
Where You Live Now: Greenville
Nationality: American
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Mode of Transportation: '97 LS 400 with lots of miles...
Job: Computer Programmer / Web Developer, The Daily Reflector (http://www.reflector.com)

How you became a hockey fan: Not sure really, was sort of aware of it, and then once the 'Canes came to Raleigh I went to a game, and over the last few years I've gotten more and more into it. Last year I got to maybe 10 games. For this year I just signed a season ticket purchase order for the whole shootin' match.

How you became a Canes fan: Geography. Plus, see above.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: The atmosphere. Even when the team isn't doing so hot the feeling in the barn is always really good.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Jokinen, Skinner, Ruutu, Ward
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Broduer, Datsyuk, Sellanne
Other Sports You Like: Not much, really. I can get into football sometimes, but moreso in person than on TV.
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: ECU
College Attended/Attending: Pitt Community College
Video Game Systems Owned: PC, 360
Music You Listen To: Lots of stuff. Some of my favorite bands include Drive-By Truckers, Rush, Frank Zappa, Electric Wizard, and the Grateful Dead.
Favorite Movie(s): Too hard to pick just one.
Favorite Book(s): Catch-22
Favorite Food(s): A good cheeseburger
Favorite TV Show(s): Futurama
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: None, currently. Planning on getting one for next year...undecided as to who. Probably Jokinen or Ruutu.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
  #197
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 500
Welcome! Nice to see some new members popping up lately.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
  #198
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft
 
Mr Whipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greenville, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Welcome, Tyler!

We'll have to see about getting some Caniac viewing parties going in Greenville this season, especially with the new Carolina Ale House opening soon.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
  #199
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Yep, for sure.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
  #200
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup
 
Yes We Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Name: Brandon
Age: 18
Sex: Male
Where You're From: Raleigh, NC
Where You Live Now: Raleigh, NC
Nationality: American
Mode of Transportation: 2008 Nissan Altima
Job: Waiter
What brought you to HF Boards: My fingers and the keyboard.
How you became a hockey fan: I liked what i saw when i watched televised hockey games.
How you became a Canes fan: I'm a hometown team kinda guy.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Watching the playoffs.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Rod, Staal, Ward, Skinner
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Dustin Brown, Patrick Sharp, Mike Green
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Bobcats, Atlanta Braves.
College Attended/Attending: Wake Tech
Music You Listen To: Parkway Drive, The Silversun Pickups, Muse, Sublime, OFWGKTA
Favorite Movie(s): The Departed, I Love You Man, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill
Favorite Book(s): 1984
Favorite Food(s): Hibachi
Favorite TV Show(s): Family Guy, Squidbillies, Tosh.0
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Staal.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.