HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Startup hockey in Philadelphia

Old
07-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Startup hockey in Philadelphia

Anyone know where they have beginners leagues in Philly?
I skate about average, still have problems with stopping though, but i still want to play because i love the sport and i need something to keep me from getting fat..

Any tips?

And about how much would all of the gear cost?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Guffaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
I skate about average, still have problems with stopping though, but i still want to play because i love the sport and i need something to keep me from getting fat..

Any tips?

Where are you in the Philadelphia area? If I know that I should be able to help.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Where are you in the Philadelphia area? If I know that I should be able to help.
Northeast Philadelphia.. Mayfair/Wissonoming/Tacony area

Old
07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
McDugan

Quote:
Northeast Philadelphia.. Mayfair/Wissonoming/Tacony area
Grundy Arena in Bristol Boro (out by Bensalem) has a really great adult clinic run by a great bunch of guys and last year they ran a "C-2" beginnner-level adult league. I couldn't do the league last year but I'm hoping they run it again.

There's also the NE Philly Skate Zone a little closer, they also have a clinic but I've never been.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:10 AM
pelts35.com

Wintersport in Willow Grove has a Sunday night adult skills clinic that is run by the Abington High School hockey coach that gets about 20 guys per night, many of which play in the C or C-South league there.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Wintersport in Willow Grove has a Sunday night adult skills clinic that is run by the Abington High School hockey coach that gets about 20 guys per night, many of which play in the C or C-South league there.
I may check that out.

I'm in Delco so I play mostly at The Skatium in Havertown, Ice Works in Aston, or Skate Zone in Pennsauken(close to you). Probably not that close to you, but I think Ice Works has a men's Novice League and beginner clinics.

Center Ice in Oaks may be within driving distance for you and they may have something. Maybe Wissahickon too.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:55 PM
AIREAYE

Regarding beginner gear, you should PM Jarick (prominent member here) because he has a really good topic about how to start out

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:49 AM
trtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
Grundy Arena in Bristol Boro (out by Bensalem) has a really great adult clinic run by a great bunch of guys and last year they ran a "C-2" beginnner-level adult league. I couldn't do the league last year but I'm hoping they run it again.

There's also the NE Philly Skate Zone a little closer, they also have a clinic but I've never been.
Grundy's C-2 league is perfect for a beginner. Good bunch of guys. Not all are beginners. Some are just older, slower guys. There are 6 teams currently.

The summer C-2 league is almost done. One more regular season game this week, then a couple of weeks for playoffs. It will startup again in the fall.

www.grundyarena.com
Adult clinic brochure

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:05 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I may check that out.

I'm in Delco so I play mostly at The Skatium in Havertown, Ice Works in Aston, or Skate Zone in Pennsauken(close to you). Probably not that close to you, but I think Ice Works has a men's Novice League and beginner clinics.

Center Ice in Oaks may be within driving distance for you and they may have something. Maybe Wissahickon too.
Oaks definitely has something, I just didn't mention it because that would be a hike from NE Philly. They have a "developmental league" that starts with skills for a few weeks and then games. In the spring I walked on to one and there were 2 sessions on a Monday night, both with more than 30 players.

Definitely come by the skills clinic at Wintersport. It's $25 to walkon or $135 if you sign up for all 7 weeks (last week is a scrimmage).

Old
07-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Oaks definitely has something, I just didn't mention it because that would be a hike from NE Philly. They have a "developmental league" that starts with skills for a few weeks and then games. In the spring I walked on to one and there were 2 sessions on a Monday night, both with more than 30 players.

Definitely come by the skills clinic at Wintersport. It's $25 to walkon or $135 if you sign up for all 7 weeks (last week is a scrimmage).
I was looking at that. Ok so it's not "learn to play"?

I'm nothing special, but I played club college many moons ago and probably at a B or C level right now since I've only been back at it for a few months. Just making sure I'm gonna get something out of it.

I can skate, shoot, etc. I just want to learn the right way to play out, positioning, tips, etc.. Former goalie here. Just feels like I'm lost out there running around with a chicken with my head cut off.

I'll check out oaks. Thanks

Old
07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I was looking at that. Ok so it's not "learn to play"?

I'm nothing special, but I played club college many moons ago and probably at a B or C level right now since I've only been back at it for a few months. Just making sure I'm gonna get something out of it.

I can skate, shoot, etc. I just want to learn the right way to play out, positioning, tips, etc.. Former goalie here. Just feels like I'm lost out there running around with a chicken with my head cut off.

I'll check out oaks. Thanks
For someone that played club, then the Developmental league at Oaks is probably beneath your skill level. However I think you would get a lot out of the clinic at Wintersport. There are players who can barely skate to guys who just want to get better.

As a goalie, I'm curious as to why you decided to leave the crease?

Old
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Alright, thanks guys.. Ill check em all out today/tonight

Old
07-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
For someone that played club, then the Developmental league at Oaks is probably beneath your skill level. However I think you would get a lot out of the clinic at Wintersport. There are players who can barely skate to guys who just want to get better.

As a goalie, I'm curious as to why you decided to leave the crease?
Thanks. I'll check out the Wintersport clinic if there is one in the Fall. I think the Spring/Summer one is almost done and there last 6 are scrimmages. I more interested in instruction.

Goalie? Long story. I was 20 years old with severe patella tendonitis in both knees, cortisone shots, etc. which I attributed mostly to crouching in goal. I got accepted to college and spoke to the coach who told me he was already set with goalies and that the starter had played Junior A in Canada. So I did a 180 and gave playing forward a shot. Camps, finding all the ice I could, off ice, roller, etc. I make the team. 1) Kid that played juniors didn't play again so I would have likely started in net. 2) The tendonitis came back and was due to severely over training.

It's all good. I like skating, scoring goals, and back then hittting. Plus unless the game is really good it's a better workout. I was taught to stand up, angles, kick saves, T-glide, shuffle, etc. I wouldn't know what to do now with all this butterfly this and that anyway

Old
07-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Guffaw

Quote:

Any tips?

As for gear look for closeouts/clearance on the big retailer internet sites. It may be last years model or an unpopular color, but often times it's 1/2 price.

Ebay as well. You'll get some stuff used once or twice that looks new for 30-50% off retail.

Old
07-14-2011, 08:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Thanks. I'll check out the Wintersport clinic if there is one in the Fall. I think the Spring/Summer one is almost done and there last 6 are scrimmages. I more interested in instruction.

Goalie? Long story. I was 20 years old with severe patella tendonitis in both knees, cortisone shots, etc. which I attributed mostly to crouching in goal. I got accepted to college and spoke to the coach who told me he was already set with goalies and that the starter had played Junior A in Canada. So I did a 180 and gave playing forward a shot. Camps, finding all the ice I could, off ice, roller, etc. I make the team. 1) Kid that played juniors didn't play again so I would have likely started in net. 2) The tendonitis came back and was due to severely over training.

It's all good. I like skating, scoring goals, and back then hittting. Plus unless the game is really good it's a better workout. I was taught to stand up, angles, kick saves, T-glide, shuffle, etc. I wouldn't know what to do now with all this butterfly this and that anyway
The summer clinic begins this Sunday (17th) and the schedule is

Week 1 : Skating
Week 2: Skating & Stickhandling
Week 3: Skating, STH & Passing
Week 4 & 5: Skating, STH, Passing & Shooting
Week 6: Angling & Positioning
Week 7: Scrimmage

The first week is definitely the hardest as it's pretty much skating the entire time with virtually no passing or shooting.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
The summer clinic begins this Sunday (17th) and the schedule is

Week 1 : Skating
Week 2: Skating & Stickhandling
Week 3: Skating, STH & Passing
Week 4 & 5: Skating, STH, Passing & Shooting
Week 6: Angling & Positioning
Week 7: Scrimmage

The first week is definitely the hardest as it's pretty much skating the entire time with virtually no passing or shooting.
Thanks. Shoot, my pickup game is Sunday nights. I'm not sure I wanna miss that. I'll keep checking