HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFStars 2011 Top-20 Prospects: [#4]

View Poll Results: Who is the Stars' #4 prospect?
Bachman 2 4.88%
Chiasson 12 29.27%
Dillon 1 2.44%
Klingberg 1 2.44%
Nemeth 4 9.76%
Oleksiak 17 41.46%
Ritchie 1 2.44%
Sceviour 0 0%
R. Smith 0 0%
Vincour 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2011, 08:56 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
HFStars 2011 Top-20 Prospects: [#4]

pos.
country
acquired
change
% of vote
Jack Campbell
G
Philip Larsen
D
Scott Glennie
C

Do you guys just want to save time and post last year's rankings?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 500
Had some trouble between Chiasson, Vincour and Oleksiak.

I really like Vincour as a player, I just question his eventual upside. I think he'll be a regular, but I'm not sure the role.

Oleksiak has a very high ceiling but he's very raw.

Went with Chiasson based on his season last year. Also, he seems to have the upside (more so than Vincour) and is a little more polished (more so than Oleksiak).

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:20 AM
BigG44

You can go either way with Chiasson or Oleksiak. I think Reilly Smith is just outside the Top 5. I loved watching the guy the last 2 seasons when I got the chance, but I want to see what he can do without Miele, Camper, and Cannone.

Chiasson's upside is a Top 6 power forward so I'll go with Oleksiak's upside of a top pairing, shutdown D.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
Had some trouble between Chiasson, Vincour and Oleksiak.

I really like Vincour as a player, I just question his eventual upside. I think he'll be a regular, but I'm not sure the role.

Oleksiak has a very high ceiling but he's very raw.

Went with Chiasson based on his season last year. Also, he seems to have the upside (more so than Vincour) and is a little more polished (more so than Oleksiak).
I think you framed the debate well. Vincour is an NHLer but may be a lower line guy if he can't score. Oleksiak has a long way to go. Chaisson is intriguing. Reilly Smith could shoot up these charts if he repeats his year without established linemates.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
piqued

I've got to see Vincour put up numbers first in the AHL to justify keeping him in our top 5. I'm a huge fan (have been since he was drafted) and it's certainly impressive how fast he's moved through the system, but his stint last year didn't show enough from an offensive standpoint. I'd be very worried about stunting his development by having him just trying to keep his head above water on the lower lines.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Went with Oleksiak, as I don't know enough about Chiasson to pick him at this point.

For me, Bachman's next, then Chiasson, and Vincour.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Brand New Stars

Went with Oleksiak on top end potential. This part of the list is going to so close with the likes of Oleksiak, Chiasson, Smith, Nemeth, Bachman, Vincour, and Klingberg.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
txomisc

Went with Oleksiak. IMO he is a rare combination of high ceiling with a high floor.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Went with Chiasson, but was actually really intrigued by Dillon. From what everyone's said he almost looks NHL ready, which is amazing.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Vincour again.

07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I find myself in an odd spot. I voted Nemeth for #3 (I know, it wasn't a popular sentiment) but at this point I think he's a more sure NHL player than some others. I was really impressed with him at the development camp. But now I'm in an odd spot because regardless of how the collective ranks the prospects I would have had him right at three with Oleksiak at four. So I'm left to ponder whether to keep voting for Nemeth, whom I have ranked higher than Oleksiak, or do I move on from my Nemeth player crush and vote for the guy who I would have had at #4 in Oleksiak? I went with Nemeth but this is a dilemma I ran into during last year's voting and felt the need to at least address a part of the methodology that goes into making these lists on an individual and collective basis.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Ub the Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I find myself in an odd spot. I voted Nemeth for #3 (I know, it wasn't a popular sentiment)
Oh, just wait for Chiasson to get off the board and I'll join you for sure...

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
piqued

Stick to your guns, always.

Old
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Oleksiak

Nullus Reverentia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Brand New Stars

Definitely keep voting for your guy. Otherwise who knows how far he could slip.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:44 PM
batmansuncle

vCash: 1912
Oleksiak for me

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:59 PM
tjcurrie

Like some others I debated between Oleksiak and Vincour. If I had to keep one of thoem, I would keep Oleksiak. But I went with Vincour because he's obviously more NHL ready.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:32 PM
BigG44

With Vincour, since this is a prospect list, I tend to value potential and ability to reach that potential more than being NHL ready.

Hands down, if this was a list of the most NHL ready prospects, Vincour is #1. He's already an effective Bottom 6 winger. The game he plays will help a team win games, and he'd be an important depth guy. However, he's not done much to prove he's a Top 6 talent. His potential may just be a solid 3rd line checker. That's OK. You need those guys to win, but his potential and ability to reach that potential seem to be much lower than the guys off the board and the next several spots IMO.

When it gets to Reilly Smith, that's when I think you have to starting considering Vincour. Smith has a tougher road to the Stars lineup, IMO. He's talented, but he may never get the opportunity to play a Top 6 role with all these forwards fighting for the same spots. With his size, Dallas might prefer other options in a Bottom 6 role besides his decent defensive ability. However, Vincour will clearly contribute at some point, and he'll likely at the very least be a significant defensive forward for the team.

That said, I'll ultimately select Smith over Vincour based on the games I watched Smith play this year. He's a dynamic player, and he has the potential to be another lethal counter-attacker on the PK. Plus, I believe/hope Glennie will stick at center allowing another young forward to ultimately step into the lineup.

My biggest question is what happens with Morrow and Ribeiro. Do they re-sign? Assuming they do, the Top 6 is going to be an interesting fight for ice time in the next several years.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
BigG44

FYI ... I still think Vincour will likely develop a scoring touch. I don't believe he'll be a Top 6 forward in Dallas, but that's because of his competition. I believe he'll end up in a checking role but still manage to contribute offensively. I'm just saying that as of now .... 1 whole season as a pro ... lazy bum .... it's not there.

As far as Glennie's offensive skills are concerned ....

Some, probably many, don't agree, but Scott Glennie's season and production last year was an improvement on the previous season IMO. He went from playing with two dominant WHL players in Schenn and Calvert to playing with guys most of you couldn't name, and for the most part, they weren't even the best forwards on his team. He still managed to produce Top 10 point totals and improve in the playoffs.

He had a solid season.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Went with Dillon here.

Glennie
Campbell (blah)
Bachman
Dillon

This is my personal list, I have Glennie that high because he's the next one to make the big step for us.

Dillon is NHL ready if he put on some weight.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
My biggest question is what happens with Morrow and Ribeiro. Do they re-sign? Assuming they do, the Top 6 is going to be an interesting fight for ice time in the next several years.
If that happens, then the team is in a really good spot. As that means that every prospect develops into an NHL player. Which is a big if and most likely will not happen. Half of them probably won't make it, some may take more years in the minors to make it than others, and if enough make it to the NHL it could be enough years down the road that Morrow isn't a Top 6 player anymore but is instead a good 3rd liner.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote