HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #14

View Poll Results: Who is the #14 Rangers prospect?
Steven Fogarty 17 24.29%
Mikhail Pashnin 5 7.14%
Michael St. Croix 1 1.43%
Dale Weise 6 8.57%
Shane McColgan 9 12.86%
Andrew Yogan 32 45.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #14

Ryan Bourque won a close fight in round 13. Now let's hope he stays healthy and transitions well to the AHL. Mike Pashnin easily won the right to be added to the poll.

Don't forget to write-in who should be added in the next round. Also would be good to include a discussion/argument on why you voted for a particular prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. D Ryan McDonagh
3. D Tim Erixon
4. RW Christian Thomas
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. LW Mats Zuccarello
7. LW J.T. Miller
8. LW Carl Hagelin
9. RW Jesper Fasth
10. D Pavel Valentenko

SECOND-TIER PROSPECTS

11. C Oscar Lindberg
12. D Tomas Kundratek
13. LW Ryan Bourque

Ryan Bourque
Left Wing
Born Jan 3 1991 -- Topsfield, MA
Height 5.09 -- Weight 164 -- Shoots L

2010-11 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 49 26 33 59 22

"He's capable of scoring and capable of making a play, but he's also very capable of making sure that the other team does not score... He's out there the last two minutes if you're down a goal or you are up a goal."
- Gordie Clark in 2011

"He gets the puck first and evades the other team's defense and gets it to the guys that do the damage on the power play. He also plays that role of having to stop a team from scoring. That's the training he needed, and he's ready to take those skills and play against men now."
- Gordie Clark in 2011.

"Ryan's a very serious kid, and probably the two biggest reasons we took him are because he's got the huge heart and he can really skate."
- Jeff Gorton, Assistant GM.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

C STEVEN FOGARTY

Gritty forward who bullies his way around the net and near the boards. Scores predominantly garbage goals.

"underrated...one most natural passers... we wanted him"
-Gordie Clark

D MICHAIL PASHNIN

Hard-hitting defenseman with an all-around game. Similar in style to Scott Stevens, though obviously nowhere near as talented. However, he is on the first pairing defenseman in the KHL at the age of 21.

"Pashnin is a warrior, who goes all out in games and does everything it takes to win. He is a good influence on his teammates, because he has great character and is a solid, hard-working player... He acclimated very well on the Red Army team and to the big city. Since playing at the KHL level, he has really improved his intensity and quickness. His body-checking has become harder and he plays a stronger physical game. He is a very hard player to play against and he plays with a lot of confidence."
- Vladimir Lutchenko, the Rangers' Russian scout.

"He plays like a North American. I loved what I saw from him in the 2008 Canada-Russia Challenge series. The Canadian players came after the Russians, and this guy just gave it right back to them. He's just a real warrior."
- Gordie Clark in 2010.

"The KHL arenas have wider ice, and there's very little hitting, but Pashnin's game is a North American game, and that's why he stood out at Development Camp last year. The way he plays is very North American. Defenseman Mikhail Pashnin, the Rangers' seventh-round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, celebrates the MHL championship he won with Red Army 2, the top affiliate of CSKA Moscow on April 22, just a few weeks before he turned 22 years old... He came here and he opened a lot of eyes"
- Gordie Clark in 2011.

C MICHAEL ST. CROIX

A talented small guy who is high risk, high reward, exactly the kind of player I have been advocating that we draft.

"His statistics and achievements speak for themselves, but the essence to St. Croix’s unique game is his style of play. A playmaker and goal-scorer, he believes a big part of his game involves his vision, which contributes to his impressive offensive abilities. St. Croix is able to set up plays and get passes through the narrowest of lanes, but most importantly he positions himself perfectly to finish the play. At the same time, his vision grants him the confidence to get fancy with the puck and put on a show."
- The Hockey News

RW DALE WEISE

Tied for AHL lead in shorthanded goals, energy player who has been compared to Callahan by the Rangers.

"He's very underrated as a goal-scorer, so I would have expected close to 20 in his first year, and I'm not at all surprised he got this many (28) in his second year. I think this is a big off-season for him in getting himself prepared to take a run at a position on the Rangers. He had a great year for us in Hartford... He's got a combination of size and skating. The thing we licked about him in juniors was his penchant for finishing checks. He still does and can pop anybody. He plays an all-around game and plays in all positions."
- Gordie Clark.

"I do have some skill, too. I'm not a guy that just fights and mucks. I think I can score, and eventually someday, I can probably score 20 goals in the NHL."
- Dale Weise.

RW SHANE MCCOLGAN

Just like St. Croix in that he's a talented small kid. Finished as the runner-up to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as the WHL top rookie in 2009-10 after posting 25 goals and 69 points in 71 games.

"McColgan sees the ice well, has great hands, and definitely isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas. The big question on everyone’s mind is whether or not he will be able to play his style at the pro level. The 5-9 McColgan hasn’t let his size hold him back yet, as he has proven a willingness to battle with any player in the WHL while generally staying healthy. If he can get his game to the next level, he could be a big draft day steal."
- TheScoutingReport.org

"Plays fearlessly as a Kelowna Rocket with a great speed/skill ratio puck and does so at top end speed, maybe faster than anyone in this draft class. Has a nice snap shot, and passes well, but what sets him apart is the quick first step and the gears. Not big, and needs heaps of weight-room strength. Never the less, he brings all he does have in the attack zone.
- Bill Placzek

C ANDREW YOGAN

Great size and physical with terrific hands and shot for a guy this big, but not great on defense and has poor hockey sense. Very raw, especially because of his injuries and subpar work ethic, but excellent potential as a tough guy who can also score.

"Yogan is another player with first round skills that will likely slip a bit in the draft. He’s a great skater for his size and has good offensive tools, although his finish is questionable. The main factor that will dog his draft stock is his lack of hockey sense and inability to effectively use his teammates."
- TheScoutingReport.org

"Andrew is a big, skilled power forward with soft hands and a great shot."
- Erie Otters head coach Robbie Ftorek

Old
07-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Voted for St. Croix for his high potential. Add blueliner Samuel Noreau. The kid was drafted the same round as Shane McColgan. He deserves to be on the list this late in the ball-game.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:16 PM
TrollololBoyle

I could not decide between McColgan, St. Croix, and Yogan, but I give a slight edge to McColgan

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:16 PM
darko

Yogan

add Parlett

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Yogi again. Add Blake Parlett.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Yogan, add Parlett.

Again.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Voted for St. Croix for his high potential. Add blueliner Samuel Noreau. The kid was drafted the same round as Shane McColgan. He deserves to be on the list this late in the ball-game.
Didn't you pick Fogarty last round?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Didn't you pick Fogarty last round?

I did. Not excited about his choice of BCHL, so I will go with the 4th rounder instead of the 3rd rounder. I would say Fogarty, St. Croix, McColgan and Weise are all very close, though for different reasons.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

This team needs to add a few more RWs. Thomas, Fasth and Weise are the only guys who prefer to play RW who have a decent shot at the NHL.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I did. Not excited about his choice of BCHL, so I will go with the 4th rounder instead of the 3rd rounder. I would say Fogarty, St. Croix, McColgan and Weise are all very close, though for different reasons.
I'm not sure I understand. I would have liked for him to remain in the USHL, but the BCHL is just as talented--if not more so. I don't see how the choice of leagues makes him any less of a prospect.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Definitely not the guy playing in the baby league. He shouldnt even be ranked in the top 20 for this year.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Voted for Yogan. I think he will develop a defensive game and could be a good bottom 6 player for this team using his size to his advantage.

Add Scott Stajcer. Solid stats last season. Might not be more than a back-up in the NHL, but at this point, he is someone who should be on the radar as well.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Yogan, add Stajcer.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I'm not sure I understand. I would have liked for him to remain in the USHL, but the BCHL is just as talented--if not more so. I don't see how the choice of leagues makes him any less of a prospect.

I was under a mistaken impression that he'll go to either the WHL or the NCAA.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I still don't get it. Does he magically become a better prospect if his name is on a WHL roster? One potentially could argue that's better for his long term development, but in the here and now, he's the same player regardless of leagues.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Re: Yoggi.

It seems like less developed players sometimes get more credit than similar, but more developed players because people still have unreasonable hope for the prospect. Yoggi's ceiling potential is not significantly higher than Weise's, but Weise is almost NHL ready.

Here's a guy who would have had over 30 goals in the AHL each of the last two seasons if he spent the whole year in the minors and did not get called up to the Rangers. He finishes his checks hard and skates very well for a player his size. He came up to the NHL and held his own, though as a rookie he had to play it safe.

Meanwhile, Yoggi - according to scouts - has no more than third line potential, and he's coming off serious injuries. Combined with bad hockey sense and poor work ethic, there's a reason his stock fell so badly in the draft.

Yet, Yoggi gets significant votes and Weise barely got into the poll.

Last edited by Beacon: 07-12-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I still don't get it. Does he magically become a better prospect if his name is on a WHL roster? One potentially could argue that's better for his long term development, but in the here and now, he's the same player regardless of leagues.

Let me put it this way: it was always a close vote for me. It wasn't as if I thought Fogarty was a slam dunk the last round. I think he would have progressed better in the WHL than BCHL, so considering how close I thought he was last round to St. Croix, he fell a little in my mind.

Let me put it this way. If on a scal of 0-100, I thought Fogarty was 75 and St. Croix was 74, now I think Fogarty is 72. Not a huge drop, but I will put St. Croix ahead because he's playing against better competition, which I think is ultimately better for his development.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:34 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Definitely not the guy playing in the baby league. He shouldnt even be ranked in the top 20 for this year.
You're right, the fact that he's playing in the BCHL instead of the USHL or the WHL means that he really has less potential than Clark and Gorton originally thought he did.

There is a reason that this kid was ranked as a high second to our staff, I'm sure we'll see those reasons come out this season, regardless of the league...

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
You're right, the fact that he's playing in the BCHL instead of the USHL or the WHL means that he really has less potential than Clark and Gorton originally thought he did.

There is a reason that this kid was ranked as a high second to our staff, I'm sure we'll see those reasons come out this season, regardless of the league...

There's also a reason why the other 29 teams passed on him in the second round. Just saying... let's wait and see if the Rangers or the other 29 teams are right.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:35 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Yogan, add Audy-Marshassault

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Yogan, add Audy-Marshassault

Again, unfortunately Jam doesn't count as a prospect. Hopefully he will be signed to an NHL contract by the time we vote again in February.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Chalfdiggity3

voted McClogan.. The kid has RIDICULOUS offensive talent, high hockey iq, and a high work ethic and if he can grow another couple of inches at play at 5'11 and get some muscle on his body, and continues to develop he could become the steal of the draft.

Not sure why everyone is voting for Yogan, from what ive heard he has poor hockey sense and no work ethic and only projected to top out as a 2/3rd line tweener. I know the guy has size and a shot but what else does he bring?

Add Parlett

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:40 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Honestly, are you 12 years old?

Voted Yogan, have been since Lindberg was off the board. He has some upside but is clearly a project.

07-13-2011, 02:16 AM
ColonialsHockey10

1. I vote for St. Croix

2. Since when did Pashnin become a first pairing KHL defenseman? I could have sworn he was still getting sent down occasionally? Very possibly I am wrong though. I will say that he is incredibly overrated on this board due to his physical play at prospect camp, and think he will be falling down to earth very soon.

3. Fogarty is a major project out of left field, it shouldn't surprise anyone that he isn't one of our top guys yet. I think if all goes well he will creep up our lists every time we do a new one of these. His choice to go to the BCHL lowering some posters value of him is absolutely ridiculous as well.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote