HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2011, 08:56 AM
  #76
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I guess we're all taking the 'fingers in ears, eyes closed, yada, yada, yada' approach to this? It says a lot about a person when they can't even be bothered to read something and take it with a grain of salt. Is anything in the article about Connolly untrue?

Which reporter who writes about the Leafs and says anything negative about them does this board like anyways? I don't really like Simmons either, but this team hasn't made it to the playoffs in quite awhile, we 'should' be reading negative things about them.

Cue the "but, but, but... it's SIMMONDS!" and "troll" comments.
If you think the Toronto Sun is a worthy paper or that Steve Simmons represents the gospel of truth and is a credible journalist then I guess I understand your defense of him and that rag of a paper.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
  #77
sangreale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's just a link. That's all
But the title of the thread states your position very clearly. I do not know you, but I get the sense that someone who claims he is just passing on a link while making his opinion quite clear in the title of his thread might not be exactly clear on the "troll" concept.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
  #78
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
But the title of the thread states your position very clearly. I do not know you, but I get the sense that someone who claims he is just passing on a link while making his opinion quite clear in the title of his thread might not be exactly clear on the "troll" concept.
I fixed the title for him.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
  #79
Darylman
Registered User
 
Darylman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
Simmons is absolutely a terrible journalist and all around douchey guy. He definitely skews the article to be controversial and prickish towards Connolly. That said, I agree he needs to prove himself here, but thats more what his old coach said than Simmons. Also, his post about Franson was retarded.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
  #80
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
I dont think anyone is expecting a 1c out of Connolly, pretty sure we just expect him to fill the role, not to put up those types of numbers.

Same way we said Bozak was our 1c

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:09 AM
  #81
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
Lupul was kind of the same story (less about attitude) but still an underachiever and i was definitely pleasantly surprised with him. Hopefully he and Connolly can reflect together and help.

The line about the whole arena hating me is a bit of a worry. Playing for the Leafs you can get booed in the preseason.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
  #82
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
That's the same scoring pace for the following players:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Joe Pavelski
Niklas Backstrom
Jeff Skinner

He's a stopgap centre. He buys us a year or even a half season to get someone from the prospect pool ready and that's it. If he turns into more then he is a gift bag.
Richards 23 goals, 43 assists
Jeff Carter 36 goals, 30 assists
Joe Pavelski 20 goals, 46 assists
Niklas Backstrom, 18 goals, 47 assists
Jeff Skinner 31 goals, 32 assists

Not quite the same, I said Connolly should be good for maybe 50 points. You can talk "pace" all you want. Connolly missing games is part of the territory. He hasn't managed 80 since 2002-2003.
But like I have said, good pickup based on market conditions. I think last year was an "off year". He's better than 13 goals, 29 assists for sure. I just don't think he's a first line centre on a playoff team. Then again I think Toronto might have one more deal before the season starts which could bump Timmy down a notch. Look at your cap room, something is cooking.
One thing that may surprise you is he has wicked shot. Seriously I've seen nothing in Toronto media about that. Ruff tried for 10 years to get him to shoot more. In 2008-2009 he did start shooting more and scored 18 goals in 48 games coming back from injury. Then he stopped shooting again.
Maybe Ron Wilson is the guy who who could change him but I'm telling you he can shoot better than anybody gives him credit for in Buffalo.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
  #83
sangreale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I can only speak for myself Stephen, but I'm not defending Connolly per say, I just have an utter contempt for anything Simmons writes.
Seconded. His most recent histrionics showed what a dweeb he is. He spends his life dishing it out but as soon someone takes a stab at him he gets his nose completely out of joint. Say what you want about McCowan but he would just told Burke to go "bleep" it.

The OP changed the title of his thread so perhaps he has realized his "mistake". (oops I see ND did it ... lol)

On Connolly ... I have no opinion as of yet. I never saw him as a guy I "needed" on my team. Maybe we will change my mind.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:20 AM
  #84
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
If his ego is hurt a 2 year contract with a premium price would be a bit of a carrot for him.

This is what you could get if you can perform. Leafs pay the price to show they believe he can do it, Connolly needs to prove it over two years if he wants to earn it

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
  #85
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Richards 23 goals, 43 assists
Jeff Carter 36 goals, 30 assists
Joe Pavelski 20 goals, 46 assists
Niklas Backstrom, 18 goals, 47 assists
Jeff Skinner 31 goals, 32 assists

Not quite the same, I said Connolly should be good for maybe 50 points. You can talk "pace" all you want. Connolly missing games is part of the territory. He hasn't managed 80 since 2002-2003.
But like I have said, good pickup based on market conditions. I think last year was an "off year". He's better than 13 goals, 29 assists for sure. I just don't think he's a first line centre on a playoff team. Then again I think Toronto might have one more deal before the season starts which could bump Timmy down a notch. Look at your cap room, something is cooking.
One thing that may surprise you is he has wicked shot. Seriously I've seen nothing in Toronto media about that. Ruff tried for 10 years to get him to shoot more. In 2008-2009 he did start shooting more and scored 18 goals in 48 games coming back from injury. Then he stopped shooting again.
Maybe Ron Wilson is the guy who who could change him but I'm telling you he can shoot better than anybody gives him credit for in Buffalo.
Fair enough, I suppose the one thing I like about Connolly is his speed, as that willl be an asset playing with Kessel who is incredibly fast himself. I'd love it if we had a bigger forward to park in front of the net, but Lupul will have to do.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
  #86
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
The OP changed the title of his thread so perhaps he has realized his "mistake". (oops I see ND did it ... lol)
I think if your mods wanted to change title, it should be something neutral with no editorializing. I'm neither here no there on Simmons. He's a muckraker, every town has one. In Buffalo, Jerry Sullivan of Buffalo News slams the Sabres no matter what, including this off-season. LOL. Damien Cox does it too, though he jumps on and off the Leafs bandwagon so much he must be sore. You can't take these guys too seriously sometimes.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:31 AM
  #87
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Oh brother. Is this going to turn into TMLFans.ca where only the mods' opinions were tolerated? Check out the membership there now. A few posts per day when it used to be hopping with activity and lively discussions five years ago.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
  #88
dubey
So hot right now
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hackey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Oh brother. Is this going to turn into TMLFans.ca where only the mods' opinions were tolerated? Check out the membership there now. A few posts per day when it used to be hopping with activity and lively discussions five years ago.
Sabres fan just posted to troll the board. I don't see an issue with the new title.

It's more accurate than it used to be.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
  #89
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I think if your mods wanted to change title, it should be something neutral with no editorializing. I'm neither here no there on Simmons. He's a muckraker, every town has one. In Buffalo, Jerry Sullivan of Buffalo News slams the Sabres no matter what, including this off-season. LOL. Damien Cox does it too, though he jumps on and off the Leafs bandwagon so much he must be sore. You can't take these guys too seriously sometimes.
So what's wrong with " typical " then ? It's neutral, the reader can then figure out which way the wind blows. It's certainly more neutral than your title using the word " Great "

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:35 AM
  #90
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
his stats from 07 to 10 are actually really good......apart from the injuries.

he averaged .89 points per game during those three seasons

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:35 AM
  #91
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Oh brother. Is this going to turn into TMLFans.ca where only the mods' opinions were tolerated? Check out the membership there now. A few posts per day when it used to be hopping with activity and lively discussions five years ago.
Send me a PM if you have Mod issues. I am somewhat shocked at your comment.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
  #92
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,678
vCash: 500
Allows anonymous quotes so others can bash a hockey player. A modern day Woodward and Bernstein.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:39 AM
  #93
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
So what's wrong with " typical " then ? It's neutral, the reader can then figure out which way the wind blows. It's certainly more neutral than your title using the word " Great "
That you can't see that "typical" is editorializing is completely telling.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
  #94
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
That you can't see that "typical" is editorializing is completely telling.
Only if the reader has a predisposed view of Simmons. (I admit I do)

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:44 AM
  #95
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,473
vCash: 1237
The new title is as bad as the old one. For exactly the same reasons, too.

May I humbly suggest:

"Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly"

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
  #96
dubey
So hot right now
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hackey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Tim Connolly as told by Steve Simmons

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
  #97
Vexxed14
Registered User
 
Vexxed14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Barrie, Ont
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Tim Connolly: " **** Steve Simmons! "


Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
  #98
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
The new title is as bad as the old one. For exactly the same reasons, too.

May I humbly suggest:

"Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly"
There ya go, now lets get back on topic.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:51 AM
  #99
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Steve Simmons Going Deep With Tim Connolly?








KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
  #100
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,732
vCash: 500
I don't see a great deal of problem with the opinion from Simmons.

What do you call someone who expresses their opinions to the media but won't put their name on those opinions?

Connolly isn't the only center on the team, and Bozak was playing between Kessel and a number of bit players until Lupul was traded for with 28 games to go.

Okay, so find a negative that Connolly and not Bozak is going to be centering Lupul and Kessel.

Connolly might be injured? So Richards might get a concussion and join the other future saviour of the Leafs at center Savard in the dark room.

Really, 50 games of Connolly is a no-brainer better option than 82 games of Bozak and Brent there. Connolly is replacing a player who started the season with 37 games experience.

Connolly doesn't even have to go through 3/4 of a season with Versteeg and Crabb pretending to be top 6 players.
% of TimePlayer 1Player 2player 3
15.99% EV 42 BOZAK,TYLER 81 KESSEL,PHIL 19 LUPUL,JOFFREY
12.87% EV 42 BOZAK,TYLER 46 CRABB,JOEY 81 KESSEL,PHIL
9.57% EV 42 BOZAK,TYLER 81 KESSEL,PHIL 32 VERSTEEG,KRIS
5.1% EV 42 BOZAK,TYLER 43 KADRI,NAZEM 81 KESSEL,PHIL
4.3% EV 9 ARMSTRONG,COLBY 42 BOZAK,TYLER 81 KESSEL,PHIL

Bozak wasn't traded, he's still there. So how can Connolly be a negative?

Explain how putting Connolly into the line up is a bad decision.

Simmons put too much emphasis on the Leafs missing out on Richards and Carter like they really had a choice in the matter. Well I guess they did to the same extent they missed out on Heatley, and Vokoun and every other player that wasn't traded to Toronto.

Brad Richards was never going anywhere but NY, even Simmons said he wasn't going to Toronto. I don't know why would Simmons contradict his own "truths" from earlier this year?

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.