HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Pick #152 -David Broll - LW - 6-2/216 - SAULT STE. MARIE (OHL)

Old
06-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Shaun_W_W

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
Brown is one of the fastest guys in the league. To be positive, , we could call him a tougher, bigger Brown, with a little more potential.

Or not much like Brown at all.
I was thinking a capable fighter who isn't an enforcer, limited offensive potential but a gritty fan favourite who plays 3rd/4th liner. He is bigger and tougher and Brown is faster but they sound similar besides that, but that's just me.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
If you can't beat'em beat the **** of them is going to be our new model.
“If you can't beat them in the alley, you can't beat them on the ice,”
this was said many,many years ago by our godfather Conn Smythe. I'm glad to see Brian's cut from the same cloth.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
...hmmm

“By taking the massive David Broll at the start of the sixth round, [head scout] Dave Morrison and his staff absolutely stole a kid who we think will become a power forward in the NHL for a long time. Broll was the 10th player selected two years ago in the OHL draft and at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, it has taken him some time to come into his own, but the “Bulldozer” is a prototypical Brian Burke forward and his selection represents a major coup by the Maple Leafs.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...anadian-teams/
Almost missed this annual report card, Seidel blogs for CBC now and didn't expect this. He always gives high marks for Morrison's picks.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Interactif

From Camp, see a bit of Ben Eager in him. Watch:

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
KlattNazty

From the video, his skating is not nearly as bad as i expected it to be

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:19 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

It's always great to see a player willing to use his body but his skating needs a ton of work. And he looks bigger than 6-2 216.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Biggiemac95*

Could be a great 3rd/4th liner for us in the future.

Biggiemac95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiemac95 View Post
Could be a great 3rd/4th liner for us in the future.
Probably, but he does have the potential to be more. Either way, it was still a pretty awesome 6th round pick.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:17 AM
LeafsYoungGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
From the video, his skating is not nearly as bad as i expected it to be
my thoughts exactly, he didn't seem to have much trouble keeping up. I think if he works on his first few strides and works his shot for a better finish this kid could be an absolute beast at both ends.

LeafsYoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:38 AM
tacoburrito

vCash: 50
I love the way he hit everybody close to him. It was nice the way he stripped that puck from that player on the breakout

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:10 AM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

Ideally with Biggs in a top 6 role, Ross and Broll could potentially make for a great duo on the 3rd line.

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:42 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
“If you can't beat them in the alley, you can't beat them on the ice,”
this was said many,many years ago by our godfather Conn Smythe. I'm glad to see Brian's cut from the same cloth.
Smythe always claimed that he was thinking of Syl Apps when he said that line. Apps was a gentleman of the first order, never drank, smoked or swore, was a five time all star and won the Lady Byng Trophy in 1942. He only fought three times in his career, once when he was goaded unmercifully by tough guy Flash Hollett who had knocked out two of Apps' teeth. Apps beat him to a pulp.

It isn't about fighting. It's about mental, physical and moral toughness that will take a player into the hard situations of the game and let him end up with the puck. When a person like that does fight, look out. But it's all about hockey toughness, not pugilism on ice.

I would be delighted if Broll has that kind of toughness.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 03:54 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Lots of talk about Biggs.

Broll has been given more responsibility this season. Is an extremely fast skater, and suprisingly is already signed to a professional contract.

7GP 2g 6a 8p +6

could be a steal.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:50 PM
LMFAO

Broll is now listed at 6'3'' 235 pounds BTW

I just can't wait to see David Broll, Tyler Biggs, Jamie Devane, Brad Ross, Carter Ashton Jerry D'amigo, Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri, Jesse Blacker, Sam Carrick, etc playing for the Leafs. The team toughness of this team going forward is unreal, I believe we'll be even tougher than the Bruins in a couple of years.

LMFAO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post

I just can't wait to see David Broll, Tyler Biggs, Jamie Devane, Brad Ross, Carter Ashton Jerry D'amigo, Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri, Jesse Blacker, Sam Carrick, etc playing for the Leafs. The team toughness of this team going forward is unreal, I believe we'll be even tougher than the Bruins in a couple of years.
The great part is we will have a lot of prospects on ELC's playing in the bottom 6 for peanuts. No more 3.5M for 30y/o role players.

Biggs - Carrick - Ross
Devane - Rupert - Broll
Ryan - Crescenzi - Ashton

Lots of options for our bottom 6. No more late picks spent on Brown (although I love Browns' game). No more UFA signings for grinder/agitators.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post

Kind of amazes me when I hear people today rambling about "where's the toughness he promised?".

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
TheCLAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
The great part is we will have a lot of prospects on ELC's playing in the bottom 6 for peanuts. No more 3.5M for 30y/o role players.

Biggs - Carrick - Ross
Devane - Rupert - Broll
Ryan - Crescenzi - Ashton

Lots of options for our bottom 6. No more late picks spent on Brown (although I love Browns' game). No more UFA signings for grinder/agitators.
Prospects are all fine and dandy but none of the guys listed have accomplished anything at the pro level. There is a fine line between an NHL agitator/grinder and a bunch of prospects who don't even have a year experience at the PRO level. The developmental curve for these guys are still about 2-3 years away. It shows promise compared to previous years but none of these guys would bump anyone on our current roster.

TheCLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
WTFMAN99

Who says Broll will be limited to a grind guy? Not saying he's a huge skill guy but you look at a guy like Lucic who broke out big time in his last jr year, its not impossible we got a guy in the top 6 who can fight and maybe chip in 20 goals, 20 assists and be a physical presence? The fact he can skate really helps. That is being incredibly optimistic though and I don't expect him to be the next Lucic, that would *REALLY* be if things went incredibly smooth.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:53 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Kind of amazes me when I hear people today rambling about "where's the toughness he promised?".
Wasn't this also the guy that 98% of HF Leafs board experts pegged as a bust seconds after the pick?

That's a protip for any new people reading anything posted here

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote