HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly

Old
07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
What do you call someone who expresses their opinions to the media but won't put their name on those opinions?
A hockey man who knows that he may someday cross paths with Tim Connolly or his agent or one of his friends and knows it's best to not put his name next to candid opinions about the player.

I doubt the Leafs' brass don't know exactly what they got when they signed Connolly. I think it's fair to say that his numbers don't match his talent but his talent is exactly what the Leafs needed to add this off-season. Even performing at the level he performed in his more uninspiring seasons with the Sabres will help the Leafs who are shallow at center.

I wanted to comment on one of the statements in the article where someone talks about everyone in Connolly's family being high achievers implying that Tim Connolly isn't. Tim Connolly is one the best couple 100 hockey players in the world. Since when is that not "high achieving"? Is his family made up of Barrack Obama, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Oprah Winfrey and Mother Teresa?

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
When you ask hockey people questions about Connolly the first thing they ask in return is: “Can we go off the record?” They want to tell you the story or at least their version of the story. They just don’t want their names attached to the Maple Leafs’ $9.5 million signing. Among the terms used to describe Connolly are: Soft. Sullen.

Difficult. Loner. Spoiled brat. Silver spoon kid. Entitled. Not a team player. Almost the opposite of what you expect most hockey players to be.

And one more thing: Supremely skilled.
I re-read the article and it was like Deja Vu, most of the things in the above quote, were almost identical to what we heard when Burke got Kessel from Boston.

Maybe the same anonymous source?

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I re-read the article and it was like Deja Vu, most of the things in the above quote, were almost identical to what we heard when Burke got Kessel from Boston.

Maybe the same anonymous source?
I'd wager it was a particular Buffalo sports writer.

Connolly will certainly be one of the more talked about players this season, given his talent, history, and new team.

He's never responded well to people looking at him critically, it will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

And yeah, you don't really hear that kind of stuff about Kessel anymore. So obviously a change in scenery can do wonders for a player or his reputation. Though the comparison isn't exactly fair: Tim's been in this league for quite some time.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:42 AM
RASHBEEP

lmao at the thread title change.

RASHBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:20 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
I wanted to comment on one of the statements in the article where someone talks about everyone in Connolly's family being high achievers implying that Tim Connolly isn't. Tim Connolly is one the best couple 100 hockey players in the world. Since when is that not "high achieving"? Is his family made up of Barrack Obama, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Oprah Winfrey and Mother Teresa?
Good point. Sometimes we need context. Even playing one game in NHL puts a guy ahead of 99.999999999% of the population. Sometimes we all (especially newspaper columnists) lose sight of that fact.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
I noticed that as well, but if Simmons doesn't believe making the NHL as a top 6 centerman isn't high achievement I think he is in the wrong profession.

Always find these "evaluations" laughable, and think they must be coming from someone who is out of touch. Making the AHL is high achievement in sports. Most kids don't even make Tier 1 teams.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Norris View Post
The Toronto Sun is for mouth breathers.
Rad Jesus Lizard reference!!!

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
I'd wager it was a particular Buffalo sports writer.

Connolly will certainly be one of the more talked about players this season, given his talent, history, and new team.

He's never responded well to people looking at him critically, it will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

And yeah, you don't really hear that kind of stuff about Kessel anymore. So obviously a change in scenery can do wonders for a player or his reputation. Though the comparison isn't exactly fair: Tim's been in this league for quite some time.
I would think that Connolly is a good comparison to Kessel, the real difference is in the age factor but truthfully both are coming to the Leafs with virtually the same resume.

Both are Supremely skilled.

Both have injury history

Both were picked for their skill and scoring potential, when drafted.

Both seem to be Soft, Sullen, Difficult, Loner, Spoiled brat, Silver spoon kids, Entitled, Not team players.

Both almost the opposite of what you expect most hockey players to be.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
BleedsBlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
If you think the Toronto Sun is a worthy paper or that Steve Simmons represents the gospel of truth and is a credible journalist then I guess I understand your defense of him and that rag of a paper.
Hello everyone! Long time reader...first time poster!

I agree with that comment. I lost all respect for Simmons when he wrote that ridiculous article about Burke being in Afghanistan (on Canada Day) rather than being here trying to sign Richards.
Now he seems to be losing readers to the point where the Sun is placing rotating ads about Simmons on their homepage telling us that he's "worth the read".

BleedsBlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I guess we're all taking the 'fingers in ears, eyes closed, yada, yada, yada' approach to this? It says a lot about a person when they can't even be bothered to read something and take it with a grain of salt. Is anything in the article about Connolly untrue?

Which reporter who writes about the Leafs and says anything negative about them does this board like anyways? I don't really like Simmons either, but this team hasn't made it to the playoffs in quite awhile, we 'should' be reading negative things about them.

Cue the "but, but, but... it's SIMMONDS!" and "troll" comments.
I have read his work for years, and have long, long (as in years ago) since formed an opinion, that in my best estimation can be considered to be well informed, that Simmons has no credibility in regards to anything he writes about the Leafs in particular, and anything in general. I consider Simmons to be apologetically irresponsible in the manner in which he pens his work.

Is there something wrong with that? For that I'm to be labeled a child unable to hear criticism, with my proverbial fingers in my ears?

I couldn't care if he wrote an article about how sharp that Squiffy guy from HFBoards is with his thoughts. I would disregard it.

I have no problem with Cox, for example, he's generally fair and not a sensationalist chasing a splashy title in the way Simmons is. I can respect his work, if not always agree with it.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon

Last edited by Squiffy: 07-13-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I would think that Connolly is a good comparison to Kessel, the real difference is in the age factor but truthfully both are coming to the Leafs with virtually the same resume.

Both are Supremely skilled.

Both have injury history

Both were picked for their skill and scoring potential, when drafted.

Both seem to be Soft, Sullen, Difficult, Loner, Spoiled brat, Silver spoon kids, Entitled, Not team players.

Both almost the opposite of what you expect most hockey players to be.
You can't compare the injuries and certainly not the skill level. How old was Kessel when he scored 36 for Bruins? 21? That's why Burke gave up so much in picks. Kessel has already proven he's a 30 goal scorer. Connolly has never hit 20 goals and only 60 points once. And he's 30 now. Kessel is not yet 25.
One thing I know for sure is I don't buy into these sullen loner junk. Media makes this crap up about players they don't like. When a guy gets traded multiple times, that does make me wonder. If Connolly is such a jerk and so hated why did the Sabres keep him so long?

Old
07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
You can't compare the injuries and certainly not the skill level. How old was Kessel when he scored 36 for Bruins? 21? That's why Burke gave up so much in picks. Kessel has already proven he's a 30 goal scorer. Connolly has never hit 20 goals and only 60 points once. And he's 30 now. Kessel is not yet 25.
One thing I know for sure is I don't buy into these sullen loner junk. Media makes this crap up about players they don't like. When a guy gets traded multiple times, that does make me wonder. If Connolly is such a jerk and so hated why did the Sabres keep him so long?
Pretty much, the media just spins things to make money, theres nothing new in that business.

He is what he is, a highly skilled player who struggles to stay healthy. Not a superstar, just a guy who is capable of playing in the top 6 and putting up points on a relatively regular basis.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
It's long been suspected that both Connolly and Taylor Pyatt were given a lot more slack than many due to being Regier's supposed "big return" back when he had to deal Mike Peca. Darcy has been known to hold onto "his guys" for a long, long time.

On the other hand, there was open cheering by some in the locker room when he signed his extension two years ago.

07-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Gutless

Very fair article with a great end. Too many players come to Toronto without understanding that it's the greatest opportunity they'll ever have to prove that their talents can produce. A lot try to produce what they think will help avoid criticism, and that's immediately the wrong attitude to have. Bassin is completely correct in his assessment of Connolly's situation. It is his time, and it's up to him to take hold of it.

Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:24 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Just remember, guys, no matter what warts Connolly has as a player, he is replacing Tim ****ing Brent, so it's a huge upgrade no matter which way we slice it.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Just remember, guys, no matter what warts Connolly has as a player, he is replacing Tim ****ing Brent, so it's a huge upgrade no matter which way we slice it.
And keeping it in perspective the Bruins leading points centers had: 62, 57 and 53 points this year. Brad Richards had 91 and 77 points the past 2 seasons joining the Leafs on the golf course in April.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Connolly played before the lockout in the deadpuck era and players like him couldn't succeed in those times. He was a decent contributor but couldn't achieve his potential without the rule changes. If Kessel played during that time or any of the 2003 kids, they would struggle as well.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's more about him bumping Bozak, and Bozak replacing Tim Brent. Who I would've been fine with on the 4th line.

Our centers went like this

3rd line talent
2nd line talent
4th line talent
4th line talent

TO:

2nd line talent
2nd line talent
3rd line talent
4th line talent

Big difference the way I see it. I don't expect a lot from TC, just maybe 50pts, 60-65 games. Then the rotating Bozak, Colbourne, Kadri when he is injured.

It could turn out really good.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
It's more about him bumping Bozak, and Bozak replacing Tim Brent. Who I would've been fine with on the 4th line.

3rd line talent
2nd line talent
4th line talent
4th line talent

TO:

2nd line talent
2nd line talent
3rd line talent
4th line talent

Big difference the way I see it. I don't expect a lot from TC, just maybe 50pts, 60-65 games. Then the rotating Bozak, Colbourne, Kadri when he is injured.

the 3rd line could be considered a 2B line and the 1st line 1B if Connolly plays like he used to.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Damian Cox actually wrote a fantastic article on Tim Connolly.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post

3rd line talent
2nd line talent
4th line talent
4th line talent

TO:

2nd line talent
2nd line talent
3rd line talent
4th line talent

Connolly replaces Brent on the PP where it matters alot.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Connolly replaces brent. how coach makes out his lineup now is up to him.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
I agree with you on some things and not on others, I think the skill level is similar and it's hard to compare the two in point totals because of their injuries and playing years.

I absolutely agree with you on the other things said about their character, sullen loner crap and not team players, just made up stuff by disgruntled so called anonymous insiders.

The point you made about why did the Sabres keep him so long is a good one and on the money and asks the question why indeed did they keep him so long.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:09 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I agree with you on some things and not on others, I think the skill level is similar and it's hard to compare the two in point totals because of their injuries and playing years.

I absolutely agree with you on the other things said about their character, sullen loner crap and not team players, just made up stuff by disgruntled so called anonymous insiders.

The point you made about why did the Sabres keep him so long is a good one and on the money and asks the question why indeed did they keep him so long.
They kept him that long because they figured he still had promise. If he was a so-called cancer in locker room, they would have dumped him for sure before last contract. He wasn't resigned because at his market price, they thought they could do better. And I agree. As stop-gap measure for Leafs, he's OK.
Kessel is worlds above Connolly on skill. I base it one thing. One on one Kessel is tough to control every time he comes in on you. Connolly is not, he's lost a tad of his outside speed. You will see that this year.

Old
07-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Brad Richards was never going anywhere but NY, even Simmons said he wasn't going to Toronto. I don't know why would Simmons contradict his own "truths" from earlier this year?
Because he's a sensationalist who writes on behalf of the casual hockey fan mob that runs rampant in this city. The mob is one enormous troll and Simmons feeds it, and in doing so, he gets read and looked at by both casual and hardcore/knowledgeable fans.

Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote