HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
Am I the only one that if it came down to it, I'd rather have Suter than Weber with all things considered?
My 2 cents:

Keep Suter if you want to maintain the course and remain stable.

Keep Weber if you want to attempt to push the team to the next level and go over the top.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I am comfortable trading either weber or suter for a superstar forward. But only for that and only one of them.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'd definitely move Suter first. Even if there's a drop-off from Suter to Blum or Suter to Josi, as mentioned before, there's not a defenseman in the system...and really, i'm not sure there's one in ANYONE's system that does what Weber does in such a variety of ways.

I acknowledge the technicality of Suter's game and how great that is, but the entire Weber package is pretty close to generational.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

In 4 years, I would probably be more upset not to see Suter on this team rather than Weber

Old
07-12-2011, 05:01 PM
glenngineer

I think both are hard to replace. While Weber's physical presence and skills that come with it are hard to replace, the calm and intelligent game that Suter plays is not easily replaceable either. It would be like having to choose between Pronger and Niedermayer and that was not an easy choice for Anaheim to make. It would also be like having to choose between Stevens and Niedermayer.

I think if it all comes downy to it, if we could land a top 3 forward for Suter, I think we can sustain his loss with the presence of a guy like Josi taking his spot in the lineup. Yes there will be a drop off but they'll also be a huge talent upgrade up front. The same could be said about moving Weber to land a top 3 forward. Just depends who our trading partner could be.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
AEM6729

The Skate of the Union tonight might as well be called the Shea Weber Summit. Either announce that you re-signed him so we can all rejoice, or don't announce anything and be faced with endless questions about him all night.

C'mon Poile! Give us some good news!!!!

Old
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Shea Weber

I kinda think this season will be a test to see if Blum/Josi/Ellis are ready to fill some big shoes and play future big minutes. If management feels Blum is ready to play with Weber, we could move Suter next offseason for a big time forward.

I wouldn't complain if that happened.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I kinda think this season will be a test to see if Blum/Josi/Ellis are ready to fill some big shoes and play future big minutes. If management feels Blum is ready to play with Weber, we could move Suter next offseason for a big time forward.

With Suter becoming a UFA after this season, I don't think this is the case. After watching Kovy leave town, if Poile senses at all that Suter wants to leave town, trade him this summer IMO.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:12 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:

I agree with AW, if management feels that Blum will be able to play with Weber and they want to trade Suter as a result, they have to make that decision NOW. That cannot be made during next season or at the end of next season. You saw what happened with Atlanta when they waffled on Kovalchuk. They gambled that they could make a deal and all they got for one of the greatest scorers in the league was a good prospect in Bergfors, a young moderate D in Oduya, a young moderate prospect in Cormier and a late first rounder. It wouldn't surprise me if in 2-3 years, only Oduya is in the NHL from that group.

These trades can cripple a franchise, so best to do them when you can maximize value from your asset. Can you believe that franchise took a perennial 40+ goal scorer on a bad team and turned him into a mediocre NHL defenseman? That could be exactly what has happened when it's all said and done. If the Preds got similar value from Suter, they could be down with the Minnesotas of the world very quickly.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I agree with AW, if management feels that Blum will be able to play with Weber and they want to trade Suter as a result, they have to make that decision NOW. That cannot be made during next season or at the end of next season. You saw what happened with Atlanta when they waffled on Kovalchuk. They gambled that they could make a deal and all they got for one of the greatest scorers in the league was a good prospect in Bergfors, a young moderate D in Oduya, a young moderate prospect in Cormier and a late first rounder. It wouldn't surprise me if in 2-3 years, only Oduya is in the NHL from that group.

These trades can cripple a franchise, so best to do them when you can maximize value from your asset. Can you believe that franchise took a perennial 40+ goal scorer on a bad team and turned him into a mediocre NHL defenseman? That could be exactly what has happened when it's all said and done. If the Preds got similar value from Suter, they could be down with the Minnesotas of the world very quickly.
Agreed. I think that if there were ever a time to trade Suter, if you believe that you can at least get by without him, it's now. Trading him at the deadline is the gamble we tried with Hamhuis, and reportedly the best offer Poile could get from Philly was a second round pick. That would be an absolute disaster, even if the value of Suter warranted a "good prospect" or a first round pick. If we're going to lose Suter, if there's any risk, there has to be a forward of equal or close to equal value coming back.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
With Suter becoming a UFA after this season, I don't think this is the case. After watching Kovy leave town, if Poile senses at all that Suter wants to leave town, trade him this summer IMO.
I didnt realize Suter will be a UFA. I just don't see it happening this summer, they already traded away a defenseman this summer and will be counting on young, unproven guys to pick up some slack. Trading Suter away as well adding fuel to that fire scares me.

Preds management continues to say that they plan on locking up Suter and Rinne as well. We shall see.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
I didnt realize Suter will be a UFA. I just don't see it happening this summer, they already traded away a defenseman this summer and will be counting on young, unproven guys to pick up some slack. Trading Suter away as well adding fuel to that fire scares me.

Preds management continues to say that they plan on locking up Suter and Rinne as well. We shall see.
Shea, how much do you think losing Suter would hurt your production? You didnt do so hot without him this year....

If Suter wants out, trade him now. We could get a great return for him, so I wouldn't mind it as much if he had to leave. I'd rather keep him, but if he is leaving next summer, trade him.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
If Suter wants out, trade him now.
I'd be even more agressive. If you aren't confident Suter will sign, trade him now. He may want to stay and the Preds may not be able to give him the right offer. I don't want that to happen. If the Preds don't feel confident, he needs to be moved.

And I disagree with Shea that it would necessarily send a bad message. If we trade him for a handful of picks and prospects, then I would agree. If he's going for a Parise/Stamkos/Ryan type player, then I don't think it sends a bad message at all. I think it shows Poile can be aggressive in his desire to win soon.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I'd be even more agressive. If you aren't confident Suter will sign, trade him now. He may want to stay and the Preds may not be able to give him the right offer. I don't want that to happen. If the Preds don't feel confident, he needs to be moved.
Yup. The difference in what we can get now compared to what we can get at the deadline/end of the year is huge.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
SmokeyClause

Word on the Trade board is that the Kings are rumored to have offered Doughty 6.5/yr for 9 years. If that gets accepted, it's the benchmark. If he signs a 7/yr for 9 years deal, then to sign Weber for a 5 year deal will take +8M annually, in my opinion.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Word on the Trade board is that the Kings are rumored to have offered Doughty 6.5/yr for 9 years. If that gets accepted, it's the benchmark. If he signs a 7/yr for 9 years deal, then to sign Weber for a 5 year deal will take +8M annually, in my opinion.
Another good comp would be Chara. I think he signed at the end of last season. If so, that's about 8 years at $7 cap hit.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
SmokeyClause

Apparently, a radio personality in Philly is calling:

Stamkos to Philly for Schenn, Couturier, JVR and a 1st. No confirmation.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

Interesting thread choice

Old
07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Interesting thread choice
Thought I'd post it here since the talk of Stamkos is in this thread, if I'm not mistaken. Interestingly, the thread has since been removed from the Trade board but is still live on the Philly board.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Thought I'd post it here since the talk of Stamkos is in this thread, if I'm not mistaken. Interestingly, the thread has since been removed from the Trade board but is still live on the Philly board.
Glen Macnow looks like a joke. Anyway, he's now claiming his "sources" are saying that Holmgren won't give up JVR.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:

Thats to much imo. But id do it if I was TB

Old
07-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Thats to much imo. But id do it if I was TB
Luckily for philly, its a fake account. That is waaaaaay too much

Old
07-13-2011, 01:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Luckily for philly, its a fake account. That is waaaaaay too much
That makes a lot of sense. I'm mildly disappointed. Not that I want Stamkos to Philly, but if that's the market value of a hugely talented RFA, good bye Weber.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. I'm mildly disappointed. Not that I want Stamkos to Philly, but if that's the market value of a hugely talented RFA, good bye Weber.
I know i've said all along I won't trade Weber for picks and prospects.....sign me up for that deal. Think we can convince Holmgren? He would have to be nuts to do that.

Imagine JVR-Couturier-Wilson in 4 years

Old
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
I know i've said all along I won't trade Weber for picks and prospects.....sign me up for that deal. Think we can convince Holmgren?

Imagine JVR-Couturier-Wilson in 4 years
Just a PURE Powerforward line. Would be awesome

Closed Thread