HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How good are the rangers?

Old
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
1st or 2nd in East.

Def making the Conf Finals IMO.

This team is going to make a huge jump. Dubi & Cally are due for monster years. Richards & Gabby will put up big numbers. Our defense will get EVEN better and Hank will have an MVP type season.

This is our year. Ohhhh Baby.
I certainly hope so, we need our consistency in the scoring and PP. Our D is 99.9% of the time wonderful.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
OldStanley

vCash: 500
7th in the conference.

Last edited by OldStanley: 07-13-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: edit
OldStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
1st or 2nd in East.

This team is going to make a huge jump. Dubi & Cally are due for monster years. Richards & Gabby will put up big numbers. Our defense will get EVEN better and Hank will have an MVP type season.

Sure hope you're right. Personally I think 2012-2013 is the year we really make the jump...but you never can tell. If we had one more scoring threat on the wing I'd be more high on this season...but perhaps someone surprises.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Right now we could finish anywhere from 1-10.

If things go real well and the core kids all progress and Richards turns our PP around and gells with Gaborik we have a chance to be a top 3 team. Or we could face more bad injuries, Richards disappoints, Gaborik has a similar year, blah,blah,blah... we could miss the playoffs.

There are a lot of good teams in the east. Boston, Pitt, Washington, and TB should be locks. Montreal and Buffalo are good teams that should also make it, I think we are in that group. NJ, Carolina, and Toronto should all be better and at least challenging for a PO spot.

That is ten teams including us, and that is without even counting Philly who I think is being really overlooked. They still have a ton of talent, Giroux is a stud and JVR is on his way to being an absolute beast. He will get 1st line minutes this year and I fully expect him to be a 30-30 guy at least, I don't think 70pts is out of the question. I know Bryzgalov has done nothing in the PO, but he is one of the best/most consistent regular season goalies in the league. And if Pronger comes back and stays healthy enough to play top pair minutes that team will still be a playoff team in the east.

With that being said, I think we are definitely a playoff team somewhere between 3-6.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Too early to tell. The players who will be on the ice opening night are not all with the Rangers right now.

07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
JimmyStart*

ANything other than PO's is a joke barring catastrophic injuries. This is a PO lock team. If everything goes close to the absolute optimum from hank to Artie, DUbs, Cally, MDZ/Erixon, MZA, Stepan, gabs, Richards AND the D then yes they can contend for best team in the NHL. More likely they'll fall just short in the 4-6 range. A loooot of young guys which means a loooot of questions. However there's also a loooot of veteran leadership and stability unlike anything we've seen in a long time. I'm not expecting to miss the PO's like I thought we would last year though (which means we'll be bottom 5 lol)

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
ANything other than PO's is a joke barring catastrophic injuries. This is a PO lock team. If everything goes close to the absolute optimum from hank to Artie, DUbs, Cally, MDZ/Erixon, MZA, Stepan, gabs, Richards AND the D then yes they can contend for best team in the NHL. More likely they'll fall just short in the 4-6 range. A loooot of young guys which means a loooot of questions. However there's also a loooot of veteran leadership and stability unlike anything we've seen in a long time. I'm not expecting to miss the PO's like I thought we would last year though (which means we'll be bottom 5 lol)

Out of last year's playoff teams, who do you see dropping out? Habs could be 1. That team is worthy a playoff spot but they need to stay healthy. Thats about it. Sabres got better. Barring significant injuries I dont see any of the top-5 missing playoffs. Devils were hot in 2nd half, they'll be knocking on the door (IMO they are a playoff team but thats a story for another day). Then there's Canes.

This team isnt a playoff lock by any means.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I see them finishing anywhere from 3-6 in the Conference. Last season we had a good team that was hampered by injuries to key players midway through the season.

I think with the addition of Richards, the Pack Line continueing to develop, and a healthy Gabby, we might have a chance at the division this season.

The only things that I am worried about is McD and Sauer regressing on the back end, and if we can get the same production out of guys like Boyle, Feds, and Prust.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
1st or 2nd in East.

I like this one.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Will BR and Gabby mesh?
Who'll play the left side on that line?
Will the youth regress or take steps forward?
Will we stay healthy?
How will Hank play?
Can the young D handle it all on their own?
The same two questions get asked every year and the answer is the same as it has been the past few years. Hank will be amazing, and will keep the team in games they should lose easily. And the defense will be just fine.

The only two questions really to be asked are "can the team stay healthy" and "can they generate secondary scoring"

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

1st place

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
The same two questions get asked every year and the answer is the same as it has been the past few years. Hank will be amazing, and will keep the team in games they should lose easily. And the defense will be just fine.

The only two questions really to be asked are "can the team stay healthy" and "can they generate secondary scoring"
You won't find a bigger Hank fan than myself... but you don't know that. Same with the defense. If you don't think that (at the moment) they're inexperienced overall you're kidding yourself. Again, I love our D but they're young and inexperienced, and I love our goaltender but you can't say that Hank will be "amazing".

We all hope these things but we have no idea.

That's why they're question marks.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
mullichicken25

way to early to tell...there are a lot of IF factors that could make a considerable difference, as of now, and barring major injuries, this is how i see the east shaking out

1 - Pitt
2 - Washington
3 - Boston
4 - Tampa
5 - Buffalo
6 - NYR
7 - NJ
8 - Montreal

i think some people with higher predictions for the rangers this offseason are being a little optomistic regaurding the progress of our younger guys. Theres nothing wrong with that, i'm just trying to temper my expectations a little

stepan could score 25 goals, for sure, but he could also score 12...same could be said about AA, Wolski, or MZA

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:28 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Henke will have a strong season. He always does. The thing he needs to avoid is his typical mid-season slump. Happens every year. Always around mid to late January, and it usually lasts until almost the end of February. I could place bets on it, and become a very rich man. And the sucky part is once he starts to slump, the whole team does. I remain convinced he could've won the Vezina if late January to late February of this past season, didn't happen!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Chalfdiggity3

dont really care where we finish, as long as its in the top 8 and we make the playoffs. If everyone stays fairly healthy and are healthy come playoff time, ANYTHING can happen. We have a team that can finally do serious damage in the playoffs

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
dont really care where we finish, as long as its in the top 8 and we make the playoffs. If everyone stays fairly healthy and are healthy come playoff time, ANYTHING can happen. We have a team that can finally do serious damage in the playoffs
Yes, but the higher in the standings we are, the better are chances are of doing that damage. We need to be higher then a 7th or 8th seed. Tired of being the underdog in a series.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:59 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Good to see my questions and yours are relatively similar. Must mean I'm on the right track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Somewhere around #4 to #6 seed in East. By no means a playoff lock however.
I tend to agree with you guys also. I think the team staying healthy is my #1 concern, but by no means are any of the other things guaranteed to resolve themselves. I would like to think they all will..but as we know that would be setting myself up for disappointment.

And ogie, I think the real question is "Can they generate primary scoring?". The first five years post lockout this team always had a first line to put pucks in (sort of) and got little support. Last year we got all the support in the world, and had no top line help. Maybe this year it all clicks...maybe.

My prediction was the addition of Richards would make them a 4-6 team. I'll stand by that.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:08 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

1)Pittsburgh
2)Washington
3)Boston
4)New York
5)Buffalo
6)Philly
7)Tampa Bay
8)New Jersey/Montreal

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Muh
Beadle

If Pitt is healthy, I cant see them not winning division. I have confidence we can contend for the division, but I gotta give it to Pitt right now. East has some strong teams this year, but I see us in the 4-6 range. I am still not sold on TB, and curious how the rest of the conference will shake down.

1. Penguins
2. Capitals
3. Bruins
4. Sabres
5. Rangers
6. Flyers
7. Habs
8. Devils/TB

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Yes, but the higher in the standings we are, the better are chances are of doing that damage. We need to be higher then a 7th or 8th seed. Tired of being the underdog in a series.
Agree...and I'll add that fighting for the last spot/spots the last month of the season adds to the fatigue factor, it's like playing an extra month of the playoffs.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
If Pitt is healthy, I cant see them not winning division. I have confidence we can contend for the division, but I gotta give it to Pitt right now. East has some strong teams this year, but I see us in the 4-6 range. I am still not sold on TB, and curious how the rest of the conference will shake down.

1. Penguins
2. Capitals
3. Bruins
4. Sabres
5. Rangers
6. Flyers
7. Habs
8. Devils/TB
As much as I agree that Pitt should be the favorite, they have some major question marks regarding Crosby and Malkin. The injuries that they suffered are possibly career altering injuries, and if these guys are not as effective as before, then they can certainly end up behind the Rangers.

I am not saying we do not have question marks of our own, but when the two players you rely on most suffer major injuries, you might just be screwed.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
mullichicken25

i see a lot of people putting Tampa curiously low

any particular reason for this that im not seeing? i picture them and washington battling for the #2 spot w/the loser taking 4th

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

any particular reason for this that im not seeing? i picture them and washington battling for the #2 spot w/the loser taking 4th
I think they got worse, and the teams around them (Montreal, NYR, Buffalo, Washington), got significantly better.

07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Agree...and I'll add that fighting for the last spot/spots the last month of the season adds to the fatigue factor, it's like playing an extra month of the playoffs.
Yeah that took a huge toll on our D more than anything. Staal and Girardi were absolutely gassed, and McD and Sauer were'nt much better off. Staal - Girardi were playing 25-30 minutes a night down the stretch, and that severely hampered them when the playoffs actually started

Old
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

They did not really get any better, while everyone else improved significantly