HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OFFICIAL Rumors From Non-Credible Sources thread V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2011, 11:41 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Subban pretty much said so himself. You'd have to be living in a cave to not see how much Gill helped him out over the last year.
What do you think a rookie is gonna say. "Aw, Hal Gill, he didn't help me at all, in fact, I had to cover for his slow ass all year long". Of course he is gonna say these things. PK Subban would be exactly where he is today, with or without Hal Freaking Gill.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
What do you think a rookie is gonna say. "Aw, Hal Gill, he didn't help me at all, in fact, I had to cover for his slow ass all year long". Of course he is gonna say these things. PK Subban would be exactly where he is today, with or without Hal Freaking Gill.
I don't buy that. PK improved very quickly and I think Gill deserves a lot of credit. Usually guys like PK take a couple years to progress from where he started the year to where he finished.

Pk didn't answer the question on it, he's gone out of his way to praise the help Gill has given him.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Once again...

Non-Credible rumors.

FFS...

Old
07-13-2011, 12:03 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Why do you think Josh Gorges said the same thing then? At the end of the season, Gorges said it was integral that Gill was resigned.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:05 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Once again...

Non-Credible rumors.

FFS...
Look at the thread title.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Look at the thread title.
That's exactly my point. People keep talking about non-related things.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:08 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Quote:
That's exactly my point. People keep talking about non-related things.
At least it's not spread across the board.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
At least it's not spread across the board.
The rumors should be kept here. Mindless rumblings about expected lineups and what Subban did or did not say should be elsewhere.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Quote:
The rumors should be kept here. Mindless rumblings about expected lineups and what Subban did or did not say should be elsewhere.
totally agree btw.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Subban pretty much said so himself. You'd have to be living in a cave to not see how much Gill helped him out over the last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Subban would have been good regardless, but the fact that he was able to be so good, so quickly has a lot to do with his playing with Gill. He was able to pinch and not worry too much about getting out of position since Gill would be able to cover any mistakes that were made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't buy that. PK improved very quickly and I think Gill deserves a lot of credit. Usually guys like PK take a couple years to progress from where he started the year to where he finished.

Pk didn't answer the question on it, he's gone out of his way to praise the help Gill has given him.
one question for you guys...

how do you explain Subban's play in the '09 playoffs then?

b/c from my perspective, he was pretty damn impressive then, and based on his level of play at that point (when he had spent the season in Hamilton, not remotely influenced by Gill), I expected him to play at a high level this season...

that's not to say that Gill didn't have an impact, it would be foolish to say so, but a large part of why Subban has progressed so fast (and so consistently) over the past few seasons, is b/c he is so open and eager to learn.

Subban strikes me as a very "coachable" athlete, the type of "sponge" who is committed to learning from everyone/anyone he can.

while he certainly did learn from Gill, I think it's more a factor of his own approach to improving, and would have happened regardless of who he was paired with (again, look at his progression in the AHL).

doesn't take anything away from Gill, b/c not all veterans are as open/eager to play a mentoring role, but i think some of you are far overstating how much Subban's high level of play was a direct result of Gill's influence.

and frankly, by the time the playoffs came around, I think you could make a strong case that Gill was being carried by Subban... watching how often he was covering for him and buzzing around the d-zone making up for Gill's lack of mobility makes me a tad bit concerned of what will happen this season if/when Gill gets paired with someone who isn't as physically able to cover for him as Subban was.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
one question for you guys...

how do you explain Subban's play in the '09 playoffs then?

b/c from my perspective, he was pretty damn impressive then, and based on his level of play at that point (when he had spent the season in Hamilton, not remotely influenced by Gill), I expected him to play at a high level this season...

that's not to say that Gill didn't have an impact, it would be foolish to say so, but a large part of why Subban has progressed so fast (and so consistently) over the past few seasons, is b/c he is so open and eager to learn.

Subban strikes me as a very "coachable" athlete, the type of "sponge" who is committed to learning from everyone/anyone he can.

while he certainly did learn from Gill, I think it's more a factor of his own approach to improving, and would have happened regardless of who he was paired with (again, look at his progression in the AHL).

doesn't take anything away from Gill, b/c not all veterans are as open/eager to play a mentoring role, but i think some of you are far overstating how much Subban's high level of play was a direct result of Gill's influence.
Subban had some highs and some lows in the 2009 playoffs, but they had to keep playing him because Markov was out and he was the other skilled d-man we had. Bergeron also played a fair bit and was badly exposed.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:38 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

sportsnetbroph Mike Brophy
par *************
Although Devils say no, good source insists Guy Carbonneau is leading candidate to be new head coach.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think you can thank mr. Gill for PKs progression.
I owe PK's progression more to being footloose and fancy free because he knew Martin was out of options with all of the injuries. He was no longer going to be stapled to the bench. Gill was a good partner for Subban because of the complete lack of options which would have been...........

Gill - Spacek / no (too slow and Gill can't cover for mistakes as well as Hamrlik)

Gill - Hamrlik / no (Hamrlik on the wrong side)

Gill - Wiz / no (Gill can't read plays and cover for Wiz mistakes and visa versa)

Hamrlik - Subban / no (without Markov or Gorges no way these two could be on the same pairing because they were the only two that could "carry" their partner against top competition.

The logical solution was to pair Subban, who was already headed to being a star, with Gill who is slow as molasses. Subban covered more for Gill's ineptness than the other way around. Gill forced Subban to progress defensively but I think hindered him offensively.

Subban was very good the year before in the playoffs of 2009 - 2010. I don't get why that's forgotten. And he hardly had any experience at that time.

PK thanking Gill is lip service unless he meant that Gill was bad enough to make him look extraordinary.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Subban had some highs and some lows in the 2009 playoffs, but they had to keep playing him because Markov was out and he was the other skilled d-man we had. Bergeron also played a fair bit and was badly exposed.
? i'd say he continued to have highs and lows this year, and i'm pretty sure he'll continue to have highs and lows, as all players do, for the rest of his career.

not sure if we watched the same games, but from what I saw of the 09' playoffs, Subban came in and after a few games the coaching staff was giving him tons of minutes, because he was earning them.

A coach like Martin wouldn't have given him those minutes any other way... witness Weber this season sitting in the press box/playing as a fwd, while Sopel/Spacek/Mara were being used on defense.

Closed Thread