HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How good are the rangers?

Old
07-13-2011, 12:01 PM
TrollololBoyle

vCash: 500
I have no doubt we make the playoffs and that is all that matters.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
As much as I agree that Pitt should be the favorite, they have some major question marks regarding Crosby and Malkin. The injuries that they suffered are possibly career altering injuries, and if these guys are not as effective as before, then they can certainly end up behind the Rangers.

I am not saying we do not have question marks of our own, but when the two players you rely on most suffer major injuries, you might just be screwed.
I agree about Crosby. But until he shows that he is not the same player, or atleast close to it, its hard for me to say we are better.

On a side note, I hate the Pens but still respect players as individuals. As a fan of the game and what Crosby brings, is it bad that I hope hes ok?

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:09 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Agree...and I'll add that fighting for the last spot/spots the last month of the season adds to the fatigue factor, it's like playing an extra month of the playoffs.
100% agree. The good thing about Lundqvist is he usually always finishes strong. But it would certainly be nice for them to not have to scramble like they usually do.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
I agree about Crosby. But until he shows that he is not the same player, or atleast close to it, its hard for me to say we are better.

On a side note, I hate the Pens but still respect players as individuals. As a fan of the game and what Crosby brings, is it bad that I hope hes ok?
Not at all man, I also hope Crosby is 100%. He is a great player, even though he is a bit too whiny for me . I just hope that he plays poorly against the Rangers

I think that Malkin is a whole different story. He had a major knee injury and it is hard to come back from a catastrophic injury like that. I had a buddy who I played Juniors with and he tore his ACL and MCL after getting hit knee on knee. He was never right after that, and he never got that "jump" back.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
asparkoflife

4th or 5th

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Not at all man, I also hope Crosby is 100%. He is a great player, even though he is a bit too whiny for me . I just hope that he plays poorly against the Rangers

I think that Malkin is a whole different story. He had a major knee injury and it is hard to come back from a catastrophic injury like that. I had a buddy who I played Juniors with and he tore his ACL and MCL after getting hit knee on knee. He was never right after that, and he never got that "jump" back.
Yeah two major injuries to their most important players. Curious to see how both respond.

Serious knee injuries are huge question marks, especially in hockey. What exactly was Malkin's, did he tear both ACL and MCL? I know Crosby has been cleared to practice for some time now, but hows Malkin? He expected to be ready? Haven't read up on him this offseason.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

The Rangers were absolutely devastated with injuries last year. got a combined 23 goals and 30 assists from their top 2 highest paid players (by far) and really only had 2 outliers in terms of players having monstrous career years....Prust and Boyle (one could argue Stepan is in for a regression as well)....and still made the playoffs, and played the #1 seed fairly even.

It wouldnt be a stretch to say, a healthier team this year could expect 60-70 goals from their top2 players and 100+ assists.

I have the Rangers penciled in as #4 right now. I could see them slip as far as 6, and go as high as 2 or 3....but this is definitely the best ive felt about this team in a long, long while. most of that is because of 1 man. John Tortorella. This team plays to win. They have a killer instinct. They play 60 minutes a night every night. The formula is there to win a Stanley Cup. IMHO they are just missing 1 major piece....a bonafide top line left winger.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:37 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i see a lot of people putting Tampa curiously low

any particular reason for this that im not seeing? i picture them and washington battling for the #2 spot w/the loser taking 4th
I wouldn't put them as low as some have, but they do have some question marks...most important is how long can a 40 year old goalie carry them

I think it's way too early for predictions nobody knows who will be available once rosters get trimmed during training camp as someone posted earlier.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Yeah two major injuries to their most important players. Curious to see how both respond.

Serious knee injuries are huge question marks, especially in hockey. What exactly was Malkin's, did he tear both ACL and MCL? I know Crosby has been cleared to practice for some time now, but hows Malkin? He expected to be ready? Haven't read up on him this offseason.
Torn ACL and MCL

Old
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
The Mouth

6 or 7th seed but with a lot more regulation wins

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
The Perfect Paradox

I predict them finishing anywhere from 5-7 in the conference and 2nd in the division.

I think some of us here are overrating the Pens by saying that they basically won the division. They have plenty of question marks, and if Crosby doesn't return to his dominant form after that major concussion I could definitely see the Pens having trouble holding the division league.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I predict them finishing anywhere from 5-7 in the conference and 2nd in the division.

I think some of us here are overrating the Pens by saying that they basically won the division. They have plenty of question marks, and if Crosby doesn't return to his dominant form after that major concussion I could definitely see the Pens having trouble holding the division league.
I cant speak for everyone, but I agree. I said with a healthy Crosby it would be hard for me to say we are better ( Still think we can contend for division). But until we see first hand that Crosby isnt Crosby, they are my pick to win the division.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

The Penguins are the only team that strikes me as certainly better than the Rangers. For the rest of them in the East, I'm not so sure.

-Boston: great run to the Cup and certainly a good, balanced team. That said, I think the Rangers are right there with them.

-Tampa Bay: I think the Rangers are a better team than the Lightning. Better D, better goalie, now a somewhat comparable offense.

-Philadelphia: they're going to take awhile the acclimate themselves to their new team. They really changed their personnel and identity and I don't see them being very good this year.

-Washington: An enigma. I have no idea what to make of them. You would think now with Vokoun and being the perennial top seed in the East that they are ready to take that next step. Not too sure. I think the East has caught up with them. They certainly no longer steamroll teams like they did in 2009-10.

-New Jersey: played awful to start... then went on a run that was just unbelievable. There was a period there where you had to assume they were gonna get into the playoffs. I think they are very dangerous.

-Buffalo: definitely upgraded and they were a very solid team last year. I have to pick them as my favorite in the Northeast Division.

The thing about hockey is that you really have to see the team play in order to get an idea of how good they are. Hockey is not a sport in which teams get by on the merits of one individual (besides the goaltender at times). So it's very hard to predict where the Rangers will end up.

What I do know is that they are very hardworking, play a solid defensive system, and have an elite goaltender. Now, they are really injecting some pure talent into that mix. I'd have to pick the Rangers to finish anywhere from #1-#6. I don't think a playoff berth is going to be in question for the final months of the regular season. Should be solidly in the picture.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:05 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

1) Pittsburgh
2) Washington
3) Boston
4) Tampa Bay
5) Rangers
6) Sabres
7) Devils
8) Flyers

9) Canadiens
10) Hurricanes
11) Maple Leafs
12) Senators
13) Jets
14) Islanders
15) Panthers

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

i think this is the best and most complete rangers team in the last 5 or 6 years....however, as always, it all hinges on the health of henrik and gaborik (obviously richards too)...if one of them gets hurt, especially henrik, a bottom 5 finish in the east isnt out of the question

barring injuries i see you guys competing with pit for the division but probably finishing around 5th

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:20 PM
frankthefrowner

The wild card this year is expectations. Last year there really werent any. Play your ass off and we were fine. This year though there must be an improvment that somtimes can put negative pressure on a team. We shall see.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:20 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Out of last year's playoff teams, who do you see dropping out? Habs could be 1. That team is worthy a playoff spot but they need to stay healthy. Thats about it. Sabres got better. Barring significant injuries I dont see any of the top-5 missing playoffs. Devils were hot in 2nd half, they'll be knocking on the door (IMO they are a playoff team but thats a story for another day). Then there's Canes.

This team isnt a playoff lock by any means.
Uh we made the PO's last year so why would a team drop out if we make it again? We are a playoff lock barring something catastrophic. ANything less is a complete failure and dissappointment. If your claim is that the Devs or something get in well then it's kinda on you to explain who's dropping out and why

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 07-13-2011 at 01:27 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
The Penguins are the only team that strikes me as certainly better than the Rangers. For the rest of them in the East, I'm not so sure.

-Boston: great run to the Cup and certainly a good, balanced team. That said, I think the Rangers are right there with them.

-Tampa Bay: I think the Rangers are a better team than the Lightning. Better D, better goalie, now a somewhat comparable offense.

-Philadelphia: they're going to take awhile the acclimate themselves to their new team. They really changed their personnel and identity and I don't see them being very good this year.

-Washington: An enigma. I have no idea what to make of them. You would think now with Vokoun and being the perennial top seed in the East that they are ready to take that next step. Not too sure. I think the East has caught up with them. They certainly no longer steamroll teams like they did in 2009-10.

-New Jersey: played awful to start... then went on a run that was just unbelievable. There was a period there where you had to assume they were gonna get into the playoffs. I think they are very dangerous.

-Buffalo: definitely upgraded and they were a very solid team last year. I have to pick them as my favorite in the Northeast Division.

The thing about hockey is that you really have to see the team play in order to get an idea of how good they are. Hockey is not a sport in which teams get by on the merits of one individual (besides the goaltender at times). So it's very hard to predict where the Rangers will end up.

What I do know is that they are very hardworking, play a solid defensive system, and have an elite goaltender. Now, they are really injecting some pure talent into that mix. I'd have to pick the Rangers to finish anywhere from #1-#6. I don't think a playoff berth is going to be in question for the final months of the regular season. Should be solidly in the picture.
I agree with this. Pitt is the only team that if completely healthy, are better then the Rangers hands down. Everyone else, including Washington, are teams that we could finish ahead of (besides Division spots)

I can see anywhere from 1-6, and a possible Division Title. I think that we are more likely to finish 4-6, because I do not think that we are going to win the Atlantic yet.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Sorry..I don't get the whole thing with people saying we are not a playoff lock. I understand that if something catastrophic happens (like what happened to the Devils last year), that we could miss the playoffs, but if this team is healthy, and with Richards now on this team, ANYTHING less then the playoffs and at least a 2nd round appearance is a failure to me, and not making the playoffs at all is unacceptable. The Rangers are a few steps...a few steps away from being a serious Stanley Cup threat. It's time people start believing in this team, and stop with the trepidation ****.

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 07-13-2011 at 01:57 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
1) Pittsburgh
2) Washington
3) Boston
4) Tampa Bay
5) Rangers
6) Sabres
7) Devils
8) Flyers

9) Canadiens
10) Hurricanes
11) Maple Leafs
12) Senators
13) Jets
14) Islanders
15) Panthers
Pretty much how I see it, though I feel the Flyers can be interchangeable with the Habs and Canes. All three of those teams will fight to get in.

I also see the Panthers ahead of the Islanders, Jets and Senators. I see the Senators as the lowest team in the East.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

4th-6th.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also I think with the addition of Vokoun Washington is much better than TB, and I think if Gabby doesn't suck this year and BR racks up points we're a better team too because of our advantages at defense and in goal.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
1) Pittsburgh
2) Washington
3) Boston
4) Tampa Bay
5) Rangers
6) Sabres
7) Devils
8) Flyers

9) Canadiens
10) Hurricanes
11) Maple Leafs
12) Senators
13) Jets
14) Islanders
15) Panthers
I see the Islanders finishing around 12th. Other then that, I can see this being the standings come the end of the season

Old
07-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Could they contend for the division? Perhaps. There's 3 wild cards imo and that is how the dust settles in Philly, any affect of Crosby and Malkin's injuries, and the Devils. NJ was nowhere near as bad as they were to start and nowhere near as good in the second half. If they find the right coach aka trap fest, they easily can challenge for the division. Highest potentional for NYR: 2nd or 3rd seed, lowest potential I'd give them is 8th-9th seed. There's no reason they shouldn't improve with adding Richards. Factor in expected progression from Anisimov and Stepan, along with hopefully healthy years from Callahan and Dubinsky, a should be determined Wolski on a contract year, and they should be fine offensively. As for MZA, where does he fit? And if they bring Prospal back, I'm calling it now in a year MZA will be back in Europe, he's too overrated on here.

As for the defense, I think Sauer will be fine, plays a simple game, should be no sophmore slump. McDonagh may have more of a "slump" as he is still trying to add offense to his game. Staal and Girardi you can probably expect the same as last year. The third pairing is a big question mark as in just trying to predict it.

Goaltending won't be an issue (duh!). Henrik has been healthy his career, but with his style of play one has to wonder that has to end some time. Thank goodness they have Biron.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

1)Pittsburgh
2)Washington
3)Boston
4)NY Rangers
5)Tampa Bay
6)Philadelphia
7)New Jersey
8)Buffalo

9)Toronto
10)Montreal
11)Carolina
12)Florida
13)Islanders
14)Atlantapeg
15)Ottawa

Playoffs Round1

Pitt
Buff -- Pitt

Nyr -- NYR
Tampa

Wash -- NJ
NJ

Bos -- Bos
Philly

Playoffs Round2
NJ
Pitt - Pitt

NYR - NYR
Bos

Playoffs Round3
NYR
PITT - PITT
Pitt goes to SCF

Last edited by vipernsx: 07-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote