HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan White inks one-year (1-way deal)

Old
07-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Frankc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
DD-Eller-A.Kost
Moen-xx-White
Darche

the best bottom 6 in a very long time.

We are stilling missing a right handed centre who is good at face-offs, White was at like 40% on face-offs last year so he isn't an option. A lot of people mentioned Engqvist, I know he is good enough defensively for the NHL but how is he on faceoffs?
White did good in playoffs.. We should give him a chance and see what he can do. Honestly I would prefer to see a line of Moen-White-Darche .. Darche is valuable for this team. He doesn't make a lot of mistake, always giving his 100% and he can score goals with limited ice-time... 10 of his 12 goals were on even strenght while having an average of a little bit less than 10min per game on ES.

The player I'd like to see being our 13th forward is Moen and replace him on the line with a guy like Palushaj or Weber.

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Maxpac

Another great contract by Gauthier. The man has really been on fire since the season ended.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

can our bottom 6 be

Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen
Trotter - DD - White (nice chemistry in the video at 2:16 and 2:56)? Maybe Darche with DD and White.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:01 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Another great contract by Gauthier. The man has really been on fire since the season ended.
Exaggeration? He's done Ok so far. He still has a lot of work to do.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post

can our bottom 6 be

Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen
Trotter - DD - White (nice chemistry in the video at 2:16 and 2:56)? Maybe Darche with DD and White.
The video is clearly fake. Gomez scores in it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Exaggeration? He's done Ok so far. He still has a lot of work to do.
He did do a very good job in the contracts he has given out to our younger players, DD, Patches and Weber I was sure would have been payed a little more. Cole was a good signing and a need, got Emelin to come down here finally, the guy has done very good IMO all that's left is Gorges in terms of signings. Hopefully he keeps surprising us

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

can our bottom 6 be

Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen
That was probably the most fun Habs aftenoon game I have ever seen. But the highlights are missing the best part of the game. Ryan White hitting Malkin and then taking it to Guerin...

Old
07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He did do a very good job in the contracts he has given out to our younger players, DD, Patches and Weber I was sure would have been payed a little more. Cole was a good signing and a need, got Emelin to come down here finally, the guy has done very good IMO all that's left is Gorges in terms of signings. Hopefully he keeps surprising us
He did some good signings with our young RFA, there's no doubt. Cole is a good acquistion as well. But I would not say that he's on fire. Anyway, as you said, hopefully he keeps surprising us. I'm not blaming him and I give him the benefit of the doubt that he will get the few missing pieces here and there before the season start.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Gauthier is a genius, it's amazing how he can sign players, from last years team, that have to be signed or have no where to play,

Oshawa General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Gustave

Quote:

can our bottom 6 be

Kostitsyn - Eller - Moen
Ah yes, the dreaded Darche - Plekanec - SKost line. So random. So many injuries.

Good for White. I guess he will be the "enforcer" this year. He better be ready for a heavy workload.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Ginu

Think we'll still get one guy with size like Winchester after we sign Gorges.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Seems like more than a team would normally pay a guy who has played half a season and doesn't have much of a minor league resume, but who cares, I love White and it's great to see they must also love him if they are throwing that kind of money and a 1-way deal at him. He'd normally be on league minimum and 2-way in many organizations, so it's got
to be considered a huge vote of confidence in him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:36 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Think we'll still get one guy with size like Winchester after we sign Gorges.
I'd also try to replace Spacek with another D via trade. Bigger, tougher D.

We might need someone for the PK as well. Does Cole play on the PK? EDIT : Yes he does.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Gauthier is a genius, it's amazing how he can sign players, from last years team, that have to be signed or have no where to play,

I hope your mind doesn't blow up when I say this, but maybe, just maybe, Gauthier could of overpayed for our players....

Old
07-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

I just hope we don't see Cammalleri on the PK or with a minute left with the addition of Erik Cole, he's easily our worst forward in the defensive zone. I don't understand why Jacques Martin keeps putting him on the PK, it just doesn't make any sense, 1) you're wearing him out so he's not as effective on 5 on 5 and 2) he's not very good defensively to begin with.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Gally11

I think an open spot at camp is more interesting now than adding another experienced forward. I was all for Konopka but now that he's gone it will be nice to see people battle for a spot, last year most of us were disappointed when management didn't make room for White, this year they wouldn't have to.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Would have preferred a two year deal, but I'll take it.

Love that it's a one-way. Hopefully he's here to stay.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I think his skating is adequate. To me his skating is deceiving because he has an awkward stride but I find he gets where he needs to get without speed hindering him.

Plus, centers are pretty always moving on the ice, as opposed to wingers who are more often stopped. This makes White's first few steps less of an issue.
I think White's speed is not "deceiving" as in deceptively good, but "décevant" meaning disappointing or a letdown.

People were so relieved and happy to see a young guy come up who would hit and drop 'em if needed that they did not notice how many times his lack of speed led to a 3-on-2 against us. He would start off equal with an opponent around their blue line, by the red line their guy was a step ahead and by our blue line, two steps ahead of White backchecking.

JM did seem to notice this by the way, and this is why White's minutes were limited versus good scorers by the end of the year.

I do NOT think White will ever be a third line center in the NHL, but I am ok with him as a 4th line RW.

Once again, I want to say that I am waiting for PG to sign another bottom-6 forward who is an upgrade over Pyatt and Halpern. Engqvist, who costs more than both of them, is not an upgrade. He is earning only $200k less than Dominic Moore!!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:01 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I just hope we don't see Cammalleri on the PK or with a minute left with the addition of Erik Cole, he's easily our worst forward in the defensive zone. I don't understand why Jacques Martin keeps putting him on the PK, it just doesn't make any sense, 1) you're wearing him out so he's not as effective on 5 on 5 and 2) he's not very good defensively to begin with.
To be honest, I don't think Cammy is that bad defensive, he was good enough defensively to play centre early in his career, his hockey IQ is high. I think JM puts him on the PK time to time to get him in the game, when we take too many penalties.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
To be honest, I don't think Cammy is that bad defensive, he was good enough defensively to play centre early in his career, his hockey IQ is high. I think JM puts him on the PK time to time to get him in the game, when we take too many penalties.
Cammalleri has to be our softest player in the defensive zone. I never see him win any one-on-one battles.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Cammalleri has to be our softest player in the defensive zone. I never see him win any one-on-one battles.
To play in our PK you don't need to win zone-battles. You just need to anticipate where the puck is going and block the lanes.

Cammy hates backchecking but he has great anticipation. That said, he barely plays PK so it's no big deal.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
If anything, the addition of Cole will make each of our top 6 players better Cammy included.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
1 YEAR, ONE WAY 625,000$

By fred poulin on twitter
Outstanding. Great contract cap wise and glad to see him get a 1 way.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Outstanding. Great contract cap wise and glad to see him get a 1 way.
I'm somewhat puzzled by these comments...what were people expecting White to get this summer?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I like Ryan White okay but can't get overly enthused. He did stick up for his teammates but JM will see to it that doesn't happen too often. I remember JM giving him a lecture during a game this season - "like settle down there and don't hit too many guys."

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote