HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Concussion Helmet suggestions

Old
07-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
How are you getting these concussions? From falling and hitting the ice? From getting hit in the face/head? That sounds like a lot of concussions to be getting playing no-check hockey...
The majority of the concussions i have had were from when i was in my youth 1-13. They aren't from hockey, mostly stupid crap like falling from trees etc...

I haven't had a documented concussion in probably 5-8 years.

The head hits that i've gotten recently were from stupid guys in mens league who shouldn't hit because they don't know how. I.E. I got blatently leveled from a goon who had a personal vendetta, Puck was on the bench side of the ice, i was on the complete opposite, he skated up and leveled me, puck wasn't within 20 feet of me.

Then the other night i got boarded from behind head first.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I wonder if it's been that long if you are susceptible to concussion damage anymore. I think I've only had one concussion, smacked my head on a desk as a kid almost 20 years ago, can't remember if I blacked out or not since it was so long ago.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:44 AM
night-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
The majority of the concussions i have had were from when i was in my youth 1-13. They aren't from hockey, mostly stupid crap like falling from trees etc...

I haven't had a documented concussion in probably 5-8 years.

The head hits that i've gotten recently were from stupid guys in mens league who shouldn't hit because they don't know how. I.E. I got blatently leveled from a goon who had a personal vendetta, Puck was on the bench side of the ice, i was on the complete opposite, he skated up and leveled me, puck wasn't within 20 feet of me.

Then the other night i got boarded from behind head first.
.. I can't really add anything to the many comments already posted, other than this:

Based on the hits you've taken in recent weeks, as a player concerned about hits to the head, you're seriously playing with the wrong crowd of people. Do yourself a favor.....

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You should head to a local hockey shop and try them all on, and even others as well. The best is going to be the one that fits the best.

Who knows, if the only helmet that can fit your head properly is the 4500, then that's the one you go with
I'm gonna ignore all the "should he play" discussion.

Much like how the best skates are the ones that fit your foot properly, same goes with the helmet and your head. This is probably the best advice. Go to a local hockey shop and try on as many helmets as possible and make your decision based on that. Most of them are fairly easy to adjust to fit your head without any tools and such, so you should have no trouble doing it in the shop. Ask for assistance too if the shop is willing to help.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote