HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan White inks one-year (1-way deal)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2011, 01:45 PM
  #76
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm somewhat puzzled by these comments...what were people expecting White to get this summer?
Well considering that fighting is clearly the most important hockey trait, White could have asked for the moon and gotten it.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:00 PM
  #77
larrypacman8167
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
You gonna have Trotter or Engvist between Moen and White.
i'm thinking engqvist,white, darche and blunden will have a rotation

engqvist FO% was not good(36%) but he only played three games so i'll give him a chance and white's FO% during the playoffs was 52%.For a line that plays 8-10 mins i'm ok with both of them playing center... if it doesn'T work get a cheap FO specialist via trade


Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-13-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: merged
larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:07 PM
  #78
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Seems like more than a team would normally pay a guy who has played half a season and doesn't have much of a minor league resume, but who cares, I love White and it's great to see they must also love him if they are throwing that kind of money and a 1-way deal at him. He'd normally be on league minimum and 2-way in many organizations, so it's got
to be considered a huge vote of confidence in him.
well put...

i'd be very interested to hear the conversation btw PG and JM about White and his projected role for the team going into this year.

I hope the "vote of confidence" is shared by the coach, and that he gives him a little more of an opportunity to play a bit more consistently... in the ~10-13min/game range as opposed to the 8-9min he was getting this past season.


White strikes me as a player who could develop into a Claude Lemieux clone... not skilled/consistent enough to be a top-6 fixture, but a perfect mix of skill/intensity to play a strong bottom-6 role and the type of guy who elevates his game when the pressure is on... his production, as a pro (granted at the AHL level) reflects that, as does his "in-your-face" style in the NHL.

definitely think/hope he's a guy that will exceed most people's expectations.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
  #79
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,036
vCash: 500
GJ PG RW is what we NEED!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:12 PM
  #80
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
well put...

i'd be very interested to hear the conversation btw PG and JM about White and his projected role for the team going into this year.

I hope the "vote of confidence" is shared by the coach, and that he gives him a little more of an opportunity to play a bit more consistently... in the ~10-13min/game range as opposed to the 8-9min he was getting this past season.


White strikes me as a player who could develop into a Claude Lemieux clone... not skilled/consistent enough to be a top-6 fixture, but a perfect mix of skill/intensity to play a strong bottom-6 role and the type of guy who elevates his game when the pressure is on... his production, as a pro (granted at the AHL level) reflects that, as does his "in-your-face" style in the NHL.

definitely think/hope he's a guy that will exceed most people's expectations.
786 pts in 1215 games isn't bottom 6 numbers. Claude Lemieux was a top6 player.. Plus he had 9 seasons of 20 or more goals.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
  #81
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm somewhat puzzled by these comments...what were people expecting White to get this summer?
I was expecting 1 year, 1 one way 550K.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:23 PM
  #82
habamillions
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: arnprior,ontario
Posts: 1,347
vCash: 500
good deal for white and for montreal. its not like if the final piece to something huge he is a gritty player which i like but can be replaced at anytime.

habamillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
  #83
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I was expecting 1 year, 1 one way 550K.
Well I was expecting around the same...I mean, he's a guy coming off his entry deal right? And I believe as a 3rd round pick, he was probably making about 850K when in the NHL last year (and probably something like 75K in the AHL)?

So considering he hasn't fully established himself as a full time NHL'er yet...you'd have to expect his deal would be LESS than what he originally signed for

Although he'll be taking home more money since it's a 1 way deal.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:28 PM
  #84
MJG
Registered User
 
MJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,097
vCash: 500
Good player. Even better flow

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
  #85
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well I was expecting around the same...I mean, he's a guy coming off his entry deal right? And I believe as a 3rd round pick, he was probably making about 850K when in the NHL last year (and probably something like 75K in the AHL)?

So considering he hasn't fully established himself as a full time NHL'er yet...you'd have to expect his deal would be LESS than what he originally signed for

Although he'll be taking home more money since it's a 1 way deal.
Yes, 3rd rounder on his ELC, was 850K and he made the AHL max for an ELC 62,500K.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
  #86
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm somewhat puzzled by these comments...what were people expecting White to get this summer?
Frankly I was expecting $100,000 less.

Desharnais I was expecting $200,000 less than he got.

I do not understand why we had to give guys who played less than a full NHL season anything more than league minimum one-way for the first year (Desharnais getting more the second year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
well put...

i'd be very interested to hear the conversation btw PG and JM about White and his projected role for the team going into this year.

I hope the "vote of confidence" is shared by the coach, and that he gives him a little more of an opportunity to play a bit more consistently... in the ~10-13min/game range as opposed to the 8-9min he was getting this past season.


White strikes me as a player who could develop into a Claude Lemieux clone... not skilled/consistent enough to be a top-6 fixture, but a perfect mix of skill/intensity to play a strong bottom-6 role and the type of guy who elevates his game when the pressure is on... his production, as a pro (granted at the AHL level) reflects that, as does his "in-your-face" style in the NHL.

definitely think/hope he's a guy that will exceed most people's expectations.
Claude Lemieux would sometimes score 10 goals per playoff season, and you are comparing Ryan White to HIM??? wtf


Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-13-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: merged
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
  #87
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Frankly I was expecting $100,000 less.

Desharnais I was expecting $200,000 less than he got.

I do not understand why we had to give guys who played less than a full NHL season anything more than league minimum one-way for the first year (Desharnais getting more the second year).
100k & 200k less? Even both those added together don't equal the minimum salary for an NHL player

And Ryan White is technically making LESS than he did in his 1st deal...these are standard type deals. I don't see why anyone is haggling over the dollar figure of these deals

625K or 525K...it doesn't matter at all.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
  #88
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,448
vCash: 506
Some people just like complaining.

100K represents %0.1555 of the total salary cap.

Anyway, based on all this, here is what I have so far.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Andreas Engqvist ($0.900m) / Ryan White ($0.650m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Josh Gorges ($2.750m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,295,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,004,491

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:08 PM
  #89
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,469
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
100k & 200k less? Even both those added together don't equal the minimum salary for an NHL player

And Ryan White is technically making LESS than he did in his 1st deal...these are standard type deals. I don't see why anyone is haggling over the dollar figure of these deals

625K or 525K...it doesn't matter at all.
I usually disagree with people who says we should not care about players salary because we don't pay them ( most often its about Gomez )

But crying over 100k ???? get real please!

I'm glad Ryan White will make some serious $$$ next year.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
  #90
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,873
vCash: 50
Awards:
a $625,000, one year/one way contract is the perfect situation for a young man like White, who knows his role, knows how to play it well and knows he will be in a rotation and probably won't play all 82 games a year.

I really like this contract. Been a big fan of White since day 1.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
  #91
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
So with 12 forwards signed. Who will be our 13th? I expect to return to 100 pages of speculation.
A kid having a 2-way contract..

My first pick is Palushaj, with him in the line-up we could have 3 very dangerous offensively lines..

My second is Blunden.. To add some size and grit to the fourth line..

Im personally not a very big fan of Engvist but he is a right handed center, good on the faceoffs and some people around here seem to be high on him, so Engvist is a legitimate option as well..

Later in the season, Leblanc could become an option too..

My guess is that we will see alot of guys called up and sent down this year..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:18 PM
  #92
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,155
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Good News! The hair alone is worth every single penny.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
  #93
Patccmoi
Registered User
 
Patccmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Some people just like complaining.

100K represents %0.1555 of the total salary cap.

Anyway, based on all this, here is what I have so far.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Andreas Engqvist ($0.900m) / Ryan White ($0.650m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Josh Gorges ($2.750m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,295,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,004,491
Damn, must've missed the signature of Gorges among all the other things that were going on in this frantic hockey time.

Seriously though, isn't Yemelin getting some decent bonuses? I thought he would have some to his contract. Is it confirmed that he does not?

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
  #94
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,224
vCash: 500



White is good asset to have because he is a gritty physical player that can also fight, but than can play hockey and he is still developing and with the effort he give each game Martin will always use him at some point. Plus he seem to get better on faceoff, he got 52,2 % in the playoff while the others centre (not named Halpern) have been destroy.


Last edited by Forsead: 07-13-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:56 PM
  #95
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I like Ryan White okay but can't get overly enthused. He did stick up for his teammates but JM will see to it that doesn't happen too often. I remember JM giving him a lecture during a game this season - "like settle down there and don't hit too many guys."
heh, it was during the playoffs, and it was more like "settle down bud, dont take any stupid penalties against this solid bruins team, let THEM instigate/retaliate, let THEM take dumb penalties "

it was actually one of my fav moments of the season because it was the first time i ever saw martin talk to a player like that, and i always thought he RLY liked white and that just proved it to me that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post



White is good asset to have because he is a gritty physical player that can also fight, but than can play hockey and he is still developing and with the effort he give each game Martin will always use him at some point. Plus he seem to get better on faceoff, he got 52,2 % in the playoff while the others centre (not named Halpern) have been destroy.
LOL so i just realized why they were booing us at the draft in minny LOL thanks for that vid, love seeing white do that vs stronger fighters, love seeing that pk hattrick


Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-13-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: merged
Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:20 PM
  #96
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,427
vCash: 500
I guess this settles the White vs Pyatt debate

(yes, there were those who actually sided with Pyatt)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:40 PM
  #97
crazyd
Canada is hockey
 
crazyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Now go and get a 4th line center to mentor and shape White into the player he can develop to be. Via FA or trade, but Moen only provides one dimension of what White can become.

And it is not having Engqvist centering that line that will suffice.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
  #98
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,784
vCash: 500
White should grow out his hair and take on the Clay Matthews look


Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
  #99
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Some people just like complaining.

100K represents %0.1555 of the total salary cap.

Anyway, based on all this, here is what I have so far.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Andreas Engqvist ($0.900m) / Ryan White ($0.650m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Josh Gorges ($2.750m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,295,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,004,491
1 more guy, with some sandpaper to his game, and still some cap room...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:51 PM
  #100
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
525K/1yr (1way) is my guess.

I'd hope for a 2way deal.
Why? Doesn't hurt the club if he is sent down and pay his normal salary in the minors.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.