HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best players that won't make the HHOF

Old
07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Im seeing way to many flyers on this list.

Lindros
Leclair
Tocchet
Brind'amour- I can definetly see him getting in though.
Propp
Kerr

Out of that list the one guy that i see no chance of getting in is Kerr. Which is a shame because He had a stretch where he was as dominant of a goal scorer as there was in the league. He had another year where he had 48 goals in 60 some odd games and that would have given him 5 season of 50 goals. So those arguing for bure about this 5 50 goal season need to chill out a bit. 50 goal seasons dont make a player a HOF. But i believe if Bure is a Hof than so is Kerr.
50-goal seasons were harder to come by between 1991-2003 than they were between 1980-1993

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Killion

Someone mentioned Bill White earlier, a standout with the Marlies in the late 50's at a time when they had a lot of great players, who paired with Stapleton in Chicago was a 3 time 2nd team AllStar & of course played for TeamCanada in the 72 SummitSeries. Interesting choice. Its hard to say what the guy mightve' accomplished had he had a longer career starting earlier, as he found himself in Siberia (Springfield under Shore who wouldnt part with him) until the age of 28 when LA grabbed him in the expansion draft. He was a candidate for the Calder (won by Sanderson) however youth (and Sandersons play) trumped age.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
one of those guys
Come on now! He had no longevity! Everyone needs to hobble around the ice for an extra 5 seasons or so playing on the 3rd line in Detroit with dwindling numbers to truly prove their greatness!

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:04 PM
double5son10

Wayne Cashman---doesn't have the #s, but man was he a great all-around player.
Tim Kerr---mentioned several times already, great scorer from the slot but kind of one-dimensional. Injuries are his biggest issue; was largely a spectator on his teams two Cup Final appearances.
Claude Lemieux---simply too hated to get in, but sooo clutch.
Esa Tikkanen---see above.
Eric Desjardins---#19 all-time playoff scorer for D-men, three Finals appearances, a hat-trick in key game 2 of '93 Finals (only D-man to ever do so). Canada Cup winner. Sadly, I don't think he gets in: regular season #s are good, not great, no individual trophies and was never a 1st-team All-Star.

Andy Moog---Some great playoff runs, and sits currently 14th in all-time goalie victories, but his best yrs were playing in tandem w/ another goalie, 1st Fuhr then Lemelin.
Mike Liut---Scapegoated for '81 Canada Cup final. Enough said.

Unfortunately the HOF has a big black eye for overlooking International and WHA players. A lot of Russians (Maltsev, Mikhailov, Petrov, Ragulin, Vasiliev, etc.) and Czechs (Ivan Hlinka, Vladimir Martinec, Milan Novy) but the one player I would love to see is Alexander Yakushev. The Yak was an absolute beast in the Summit Series.
Tying in w/ the WHA and international play, Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg in the late 70s were part of arguably the best line in hockey though their good but not great #s in the NHL probably keep them out.
Other WHA players like Andre Lacroix and Marc Tardiff should get some consideration, as well as perhaps Richard Brodeur and Joe Daley in the nets. And there's no logical reason that JC Tremblay isn't in the Hall other than anti-WHA bias.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:41 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
This is starting to remind me of the old Abbot & Costello routine "whos on first".

Here is exactly what you said in post #50.

"Please do... from 1950-1970, I see maybe 15 or 20 that are in the same arena."

Based on this I provided a list of players that played at least part of the careers from 1950-1970. IMO, if they played at all between 1952 amd 1972, they are contemporaries of Nesterenko. If you want to keep changing the rules go ahead and do so but my mission is finished here. I am not going to waste any more time on this.
Semantics, not my problem you interpreted it wrong, even after I clarified it....and it still ain't 50.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:29 AM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Im seeing way to many flyers on this list.

Lindros
Leclair
Tocchet
Brind'amour- I can definetly see him getting in though.
Propp
Kerr

Out of that list the one guy that i see no chance of getting in is Kerr. Which is a shame because He had a stretch where he was as dominant of a goal scorer as there was in the league. He had another year where he had 48 goals in 60 some odd games and that would have given him 5 season of 50 goals. So those arguing for bure about this 5 50 goal season need to chill out a bit. 50 goal seasons dont make a player a HOF. But i believe if Bure is a Hof than so is Kerr.
3 50+ goal seasons and 2 60 goal seasons in the dead puck era in 12 seasons, 5 of them he actually played 70+ games is most definitely something special and HOF worthy. Not to mention the skill and speed he used was just dazzling. Cam Neely is in the hall, and his and Bure's Careers are somewhat similar, high scoring, lots of potential, shortened by Injury. The only thing is Bure averaged well over a ppg with 779 points in 702 games while only playing 5 full seasons.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:00 AM
MJB Devils23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Shanahan?
Why would Shanahan not make it?

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkLoc91 View Post
3 50+ goal seasons and 2 60 goal seasons in the dead puck era in 12 seasons, 5 of them he actually played 70+ games is most definitely something special and HOF worthy. Not to mention the skill and speed he used was just dazzling. Cam Neely is in the hall, and his and Bure's Careers are somewhat similar, high scoring, lots of potential, shortened by Injury. The only thing is Bure averaged well over a ppg with 779 points in 702 games while only playing 5 full seasons.
In 99-00 season, Bure had 58 goals in only 74 games, playing with Florida.

Owen Nolan was 2nd in goals that season with 44.

That's remarkable.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Kresnik

Patrik Elias maby?

Stats: 961GP---- 335G-481A-816PT

I don't know if his stats have suffered abit by playing in NJ Devils, but enough of that. I don't think he will get in to the hall.

Oh btw, he got two stanley cups and he had a big role for the team during the cup run 1999/2000 by scoring 20points in 23 games.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:49 PM
MJB Devils23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
Patrik Elias maby?

Stats: 961GP---- 335G-481A-816PT

I don't know if his stats have suffered abit by playing in NJ Devils, but enough of that. I don't think he will get in to the hall.

Oh btw, he got two stanley cups and he had a big role for the team during the cup run 1999/2000 by scoring 20points in 23 games.
Elias had a damn good playoff career. He could take over entire series.

But the thing is, with his skillset, he never really got a chance to reach his ceiling imo. But playing for the Devils unfortunately has that effect. His resume is very impressive and am thankful to have watched his career go the distance. He'll have his number int he rafters as he's one of the most respected players in the league and beloved players by Devils fans.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFr96 View Post
Tocchet has no chance because of the criminal charges and the gambling controversy.
Even if he were clean as a whistle he wouldn't make it. Not enough "eliteness" if that's a real word and I know it isn't

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

As premature as this may sound, I can see Zetterberg not getting in if he doesn't get anymore hardware/cups.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Devil 23 View Post
Elias had a damn good playoff career. He could take over entire series.

But the thing is, with his skillset, he never really got a chance to reach his ceiling imo. But playing for the Devils unfortunately has that effect
devils scored most goals in the league the year elias scored his best season

he wasn't a florida panther

i think that season was his potential

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote