HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins to host prospect development camp from 7/11 - 7/16

Old
07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Just as a sidenote, I think Joe Morrow might be the nicest person on earth:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
Yeah he seemed very well-spoken at the draft too. Not just for an 18 year old.

And Tangradi looks huge in his interview. If he doesn't stop bulking up he'll need a tailor-made XXL helmet soon.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:35 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
People hear 230 and think it's crazy big because most guys are 5'10" and they get pretty bulky at 185. I'm 6'5" and I'd be close to Nugent-Hopkins skinny at 185. If Tangradi is a legit 6'4" then 230 doesn't seem "too big" to me.
Yeah, 230 really isn't all that big for a guy who is as tall as Tangradi is. Malone played around that weight when he was here, and I can almost guarantee he isn't as cut as Tangradi probably is. I wouldn't worry about him.

If he got over 240, I would then start to question

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I would say a lot of players drop about 7-10 lbs over the course of a season anyway due to the intense cardio. When they're in-season, I think what work is done with weights is centered on maintaining strength as opposed to adding bulk. Adding weight in the gym over the offseason is probably mostly about ensuring your playing weight doesn't drop below where you want it to be halfway through your season.
Exactly. It's nearly impossible to keep on weight during a season. They don't do much weight lifting, and they burn any calorie they put in their bodies in an instant throughout the season.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87isgod View Post
Depends on what you consider significant. Adding 7 to 10 pounds of muscle at tangradis age shouldn't be a factor. The guy is gonna lose some weight naturally anyway during the year so any water he's holding by then will be gone. What I am saying is let's not make much adew out of nothing. I'm just saying why is it so hard to believe its a good thing.
Its totally different in hockey than in football. You want to be lean. 10 lbs is a lot. Plus upper body bulk isn't really needed. For example I would take the racehorse, Quebec Mats Sundin over the bulldozer TO Sundin.

With Tangradi, I'm kind of hoping for an Andrew Ladd type. Even if Ladd doesn't get a point he's very involved in the game. Thats something that 'gradi might be able to get from talking to Kevin Stevens. Stevens was a power forward but didn't fight much. That guy played involved hockey every shift. A whack, a hack, chirping, bumping the goalie, backing up a team mate, pushing and shoving after plays are over... Kevin Stevens was like that from day 1 playing RW with Quinner and Cunnyworth. Its and attitude and Tangradi has it, but needs to bring it every shift.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:04 AM
JTG

That's the thing for me...the role we want Tangradi to fill, I don't think he has to be the fastest big man on the ice. We want him to post up in front of the net and be immovable. Being 230+ makes him that.

I think Artie is a perfect mentor for Tangradi, and he very well may have spoke to Tangradi. Artie is still around town, and still works with the organization.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Just as a sidenote, I think Joe Morrow might be the nicest person on earth:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

This is insanity. He's not even the nicest player named Joe on our team, let alone the whole world. I swear some of the things I read on HFB drive me to drink.

15G, 35A - and he'll do it with a smile. Adams is afraid. Asham is afraid. The entire 4th line is afraid. He might play all three positions. Simultaneously.
HE CARE!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
JTG

He's too nice. I wanted him to start shouting profanities and telling reporters how he can't wait to **** down Tangradi's 18 inch neck.

Last edited by JTG: 07-13-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
He's too nice. I wanted him to start shouting profanities and telling reports how he can't wait to **** down Tangradi's 18 inch neck.

Can you imagine if a rookie did that? I mean.. he'd be out on his ass but how funny would that be if some kid (like a 4th rounder with a chip on his shoulder) came into dev camp and started trash talking all the guys he wanted to beat out for the team / main camp invite? "You expect to make the NHL with that haircut? What are you a ****ing muppet? You suck! I'm going to make you look like a paralympic hockey player! Hey thunder-t^ts... yah you with the microphone from TSN, did you get that quote? Yah? What about my phone number, did you get that yet? You and me... tonight baby... all night long."

Old
07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
JTG

"Yeah, I mean, I'm the best ****ing defenseman here, so if they send me back, it's just because they don't want me to embarrass Kris "high and wide" Letang. I watched Tangradi skate down the ice. He looks like a ****in weeble wobble."

Old
07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

"Who is this ****ing French guy I keep hearing about... Desgrace? Despres? I don't know but it looks like his Dad saw too many reruns of Deliverance and married his older sister, if you know what I'm saying. I didn't know they did stuff like that up in French Quebec. Maybe they should've let them secede. All I know is if I were that big, every player on the other team would be bleeding by their 3rd shift. Hopefully Ray sees the light this week and does what he needs to, to straighten out this roster. Frickin lockerroom of misfit toys I'm living on here. When do we play; enough of this koombayah ****!"

Old
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Empty Netters interviewed Veilleux. I guess he's at 218 lbs now.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...ockey-07-13-11

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Your link is afraid of Joe Morrow. Try this one.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...-netters/28448

6'5" 218 is about 10-15 lbs too light but a large specimen either way. Looks like he put together a real nice season last year with some offensive upside. Could he play as a 2nd/3rd line tweener here (skill-wise) assuming he made a good showing in camp? Comparison to Tangradi in terms of skills, physical play, skating? Imagine this line:

Tangradi - Staal - Veilleux

(Was that the one someone posted yesterday? That could possibly be both a great offensive 3rd line and shut-down line if the two rooks can play two-ways in our system.)

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-13-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old
07-13-2011, 11:38 AM
JTG

"What do I think about Malkin? I've watched a good bit of Va-geno. I tell you one thing...he tries to pull that ****in lazy hook **** on me at the blueline, I'm going to ****ing knock him into the upper bowl. He tells me he always wants the puck. He smashes his stick onto the ice and grunts like a ****in sped. He told me that he wants to take the puck from behind the net. I said '**** you and the borscht you rode in on.' It's my ****in puck, and I'm Joe ****in Morrow. You get the puck when I say you get the puck. Last thing I want is me giving him the biscuit and then he goes all Russian. FML, then I'm back covering his ass on a 4-1."

Old
07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Apparently Billy G took a puck to the head yesterday when Beau Bennett ripped a shot off the crossbar... the deflection caught him off guard... so he's now fitted properly.
- WBS Facebook

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post

- WBS Facebook

Impress.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Shero Podcast: http://wbspenguins.com/Podcasts/071311_Day2_Shero.mp3

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:04 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:

- WBS Facebook
haha i love that guy, and i'm so glad he didn't stick with the flyers last season because of that.

he should help a hell of alot with our forwards

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

Two new articles I just put together, one about Patrick Killeen, the other Red McNeill.

I have about five other audio files of interviews and plan to attend again on Saturday and get some more...expect a lot of them to show up in the upcoming top-20. I'll try and put together articles for whatever ones I can though. Hope everyone enjoys!

McNeill:
http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=555

Killeen:
http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=553

On a side note I've found all of the Penguins prospects to be articulate and very good at providing usable quotes. Taking a mass of quotes and turning it into a workable story is something of an art form and their players make it easy. I told Tangradi pretty much just that in the locker room today. I could very easily see him down the road serving as an assistant captain and someone who does a lot of talking to the media.

McNeill is a pretty funny guy. Just little quips, like when he interjected in my interview yesterday with Scott Harrington, or today how he told me Matt Cooke is a much nicer guy in person than on the ice.

I got a little from Kuhnhackl today but not sure if it will be enough to put together an article. He's also a pretty funny guy. He said there are as many hits in one shift of North American hockey as there is in an entire game of German hockey.

07-13-2011, 02:37 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
One random thing i heard in the interview, i didnt realise we still had joey mormina signed. add one more guy to the crazy Defensive depth lol.

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:49 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Your link is afraid of Joe Morrow. Try this one.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...-netters/28448

6'5" 218 is about 10-15 lbs too light but a large specimen either way. Looks like he put together a real nice season last year with some offensive upside. Could he play as a 2nd/3rd line tweener here (skill-wise) assuming he made a good showing in camp? Comparison to Tangradi in terms of skills, physical play, skating? Imagine this line:

Tangradi - Staal - Veilleux

(Was that the one someone posted yesterday? That could possibly be both a great offensive 3rd line and shut-down line if the two rooks can play two-ways in our system.)
I said yesterday if everything went perfect for our prospects in the next couple of years, could you imagine a lineup of...

Neal - Crosby - Bennett
Tangradi - Malkin - Veilleux
Jeffrey - Staal - Kuhnhackl

Of course that is incredibly optimistic, and will more than likely never even come close to being fulfilled.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
WVP

Thanks for the info, Ian. Keep it coming....

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:03 PM
JTG

I think the only thing holding Veilleux up is that he cannot seem to stay healthy. Hopefully he can build on last season.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Empty Netters interviewed Veilleux. I guess he's at 218 lbs now.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...ockey-07-13-11
Considering the AHL site listed him at 219lbs...I don't know if that's a good thing.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:22 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:

- WBS Facebook
Guerin is hilarious, that mustache pic and that crazy grin of his is forever burned into my memory.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
sina220*

Bennett was on Madden this afternoon. some highlights.

To begin the interview a funny lil hiccup happened...

Madden says "So I know it may seem cliche to ask, but do you surf?"

Bennett replies "do I suck?"

And Madden says "No, you were drafted in the 1st round we know you don't suck. Do you SURF, like boogie board or wakeboard?"

Bennett laughed and said yea...

*Said he weighed in at 195 this morning and hopes to be 205 playing weight by camp next year.

*Focused simply on learning from the older guys (mention tangradi and sill) during the camp and taking back what he can to Denver.

*Is very focused on winning at Denver next year, almost to the point it seemed if you'd tell him he made the Pens he'd ask for one more year at college. Wouldn't even answer who he'd like to play with, Cros, Malkin, or Staal because it was too far ahead.

*Said he was primarily a pass first player but his coaches at Denver actualy told him to start shooting more because they like his shot and think he can really keep a goalie on edge when he mixes it up. Says he's learning to read goalies and take what they give him, pass or shot.

*his plan was to do 2 years at Denver and that still seems like what he wants to do.

*Feels no pressure from being highest drafted player in Cali history, mentioned he's pulling for Etem and they keep in touch.

*Is a Kings, Lakers, and Dodgers fan.

sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
JTG

Tangradi on KDKA right now.

Yeah...he's massive