HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Question becomes is he a liability at even strength, and is his point production enough to justify that.

I don't feel that another year in the OHL is going to do anything for this kid, though.
He has nothing left to prove in the OHL. He dominates down there because he is simply better then most of the players in the league. He either needs to be in the AHL or if he earns it, the NHL.

Old
07-13-2011, 04:13 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Question becomes is he a liability at even strength, and is his point production enough to justify that.

I don't feel that another year in the OHL is going to do anything for this kid, though.
Only thing another year in the O would do is possibly boost his confidence and his stats. He'd provide depth to the second powerplay unit. If he can be on the PP with Del Zotto as his set up man, I'd be really happy.

Old
07-13-2011, 04:14 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
He has nothing left to prove in the OHL. He dominates down there because he is simply better then most of the players in the league. He either needs to be in the AHL or if he earns it, the NHL.
The AHL is out of question this year though. He can't go to the AHL unfortunately. He can only go back to juniors or jump up to the pros.

Old
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Which, to me, along with our 4th RW 'gap" is all the more reason why he should get a real look.

Gaborik, Callahan, Prust are locks. That other RW spot could go to anyone, including an off wing Fedotenko, Zucc, or even Thomas. Thomas instantly fills several teams needs in that he

A. Is a goal scorer
B. Is a RWer
C. Has a small cap hit

He should play big minutes in just about every one of our preseason games.

07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
MPJohnny5

And you know torts, not afraid to give these kids are hard look

Old
07-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Stepan Guy View Post
The AHL is out of question this year though. He can't go to the AHL unfortunately. He can only go back to juniors or jump up to the pros.
Ah I forgot about the age rule

Old
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Which, to me, along with our 4th RW 'gap" is all the more reason why he should get a real look.

Gaborik, Callahan, Prust are locks. That other RW spot could go to anyone, including an off wing Fedotenko, Zucc, or even Thomas. Thomas instantly fills several teams needs in that he

A. Is a goal scorer
B. Is a RWer
C. Has a small cap hit

He should play big minutes in just about every one of our preseason games.
Agreed. Right off the bat I'd place him with Stepan though. If both can develop chemistry, I'd be happy. Young players like working with Stepan, it would be awesome if Thomas did.

Old
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Stepan Guy View Post
Agreed. Right off the bat I'd place him with Stepan though. If both can develop chemistry, I'd be happy. Young players like working with Stepan, it would be awesome if Thomas did.
Well, with a line like that right away you've got to put a defensively solid player like Fedotenko on the LW. I'm not sure Avery would cut it. But if our roster is

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Cally
Feds-Stepan-Thomas
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

With Thomas's presence there signifying he is ready to pot maybe 10-15 goals on the power play for us then yeah I think we could be a darkhorse team.

Old
07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Well, with a line like that right away you've got to put a defensively solid player like Fedotenko on the LW. I'm not sure Avery would cut it. But if our roster is

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Cally
Feds-Stepan-Thomas
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

With Thomas's presence there signifying he is ready to pot maybe 10-15 goals on the power play for us then yeah I think we could be a darkhorse team.
I'd be really pleased with those lines. They could do some serious damage.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Thomas specifically mentions Jeff Skinner in the article, another small goalscorer the same age as Thomas. Look at the success Skinner had, Thomas is likely at a very similar, or even slightly better development level then Skinner was at draft day. Both are built very solid, although Thomas is faster. Skinner is incredibly shifty though and transfers his weight around perfectly, it's so unique.

I think he will definitely get 9 games at the minimum.

Old
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Thomas specifically mentions Jeff Skinner in the article, another small goalscorer the same age as Thomas. Look at the success Skinner had, Thomas is likely at a very similar, or even slightly better development level then Skinner was at draft day. Both are built very solid, although Thomas is faster. Skinner is incredibly shifty though and transfers his weight around perfectly, it's so unique.

I hope he gets his 9 games. I think he could step in and put some pucks in the net rather quickly.

Old
07-13-2011, 07:42 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post

Skinner is a little bigger and he put up 50 goals in his draft year. He probably isn't as fast as Thomas, but IMO, Skinner is a better skater. He really uses his edges well.

I think Thomas will be good, but I'm not ready to say he'll come in and have the same type of success.

Old
07-13-2011, 07:53 PM
ocarina

Quote:

Again, I don't get this mentality. He's nothing more then a goal-scorer at this point. He couldn't learn how to play a better defensive game and learn how to use his teammates more effectively in juniors?

I have high hopes for Thomas, but I'm worried that we are setting up unrealistic expectations for him so early in his career. He still has a ways to go.

Old
07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Again, I don't get this mentality. He's nothing more then a goal-scorer at this point. He couldn't learn how to play a better defensive game and learn how to use his teammates more effectively in juniors?

I have high hopes for Thomas, but I'm worried that we are setting up unrealistic expectations for him so early in his career. He still has a ways to go.
I think he should get a long hard look in camp and then we can let Torts decide if he is ready for NHL level play

Old
07-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Don't know if this was posted yet, but for anyone who wants to watch, here are his 2009-2010 highlights ( I want the ****ing 2011 highlights god damit! )

Here's to making the Rangers this season kid!

Old
07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Don't know if this was posted yet, but for anyone who wants to watch, here are his 2009-2010 highlights ( I want the ****ing 2011 highlights god damit! )

Here's to making the Rangers this season kid!
I really hope he makes the team, he has a real nose for the net

Old
07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Leetch3

Quote:

the concern with keeping thomas is can he physically handle playing against nhl dmen. you don't want him getting hurt and you don't want his development hurt by rushing him into a situation he isn't ready for. we'll get a clearer picture during preseason when he gets to face nhl/ahl players but for a 19 year old you have to think long term and whats best for him.

as for going back to juniors, i'm not sure he'll gain much from scoring 50g again but he can work on other parts of his game. but the biggest thing he could benefit from is adding size. he says he gained 7lbs so if he goes back to juniors and returns next summer up another 7-10lbs then he'd be alot closer to an 'acceptable' playing weight.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
the concern with keeping thomas is can he physically handle playing against nhl dmen. you don't want him getting hurt and you don't want his development hurt by rushing him into a situation he isn't ready for. we'll get a clearer picture during preseason when he gets to face nhl/ahl players but for a 19 year old you have to think long term and whats best for him.

as for going back to juniors, i'm not sure he'll gain much from scoring 50g again but he can work on other parts of his game. but the biggest thing he could benefit from is adding size. he says he gained 7lbs so if he goes back to juniors and returns next summer up another 7-10lbs then he'd be alot closer to an 'acceptable' playing weight.
I agree with seeing if he is ready for NHL physicality, but if he makes the team out of camp, then they have 9 games to decide whether he can actually handle the NHL regular season's pace

Old
07-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
I agree with seeing if he is ready for NHL physicality, but if he makes the team out of camp, then they have 9 games to decide whether he can actually handle the NHL regular season's pace
you can use those 9 games to decide if you think he's close but aren't 100% sure. but imo if he is on the opening night roster it is because they plan for him to be here the whole year. if he really struggles early maybe they would change their mind and send him back, but i don't see them keeping him with the intent of sending him back after 9 games.

hopefully he tears it up at traverse city and then in preseason/camp forces them to keep him

Old
07-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
you can use those 9 games to decide if you think he's close but aren't 100% sure. but imo if he is on the opening night roster it is because they plan for him to be here the whole year. if he really struggles early maybe they would change their mind and send him back, but i don't see them keeping him with the intent of sending him back after 9 games.

hopefully he tears it up at traverse city and then in preseason/camp forces them to keep him
Well if they keep him, he is going to have to play a top-6 role. He definately does not have the body to play a bottom 6 role. Unless they put him with Steps and Fedotenko and play their third line as another "second line"

Old
07-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Well if they keep him, he is going to have to play a top-6 role. He definately does not have the body to play a bottom 6 role. Unless they put him with Steps and Fedotenko and play their third line as another "second line"
i think on a line with stepan and fedotenko is exactly where he'd go

Old
07-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
i think on a line with stepan and fedotenko is exactly where he'd go
Probably. He would not be ready to take on first line duties right off the bat. Hopefully him and Steps gel together nicely and feed off each other in the offensive zone

Old
07-14-2011, 12:52 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

According to Kevin Allen, JT is going to the OHL

Old
07-14-2011, 12:52 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

JT Miller not going to UND, will play for Plymouth of the OHL

kausatoday 1:50pm via Web
Quote:
Rangers first rounder JT Miller, originally planning to play college hockey at North Dakota, now is expected to play at Plymouth in OHL.
http://twitter.com/#!/kausatoday/sta...65265350955008

Old
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

stevezipay Steve Zipay
Rangers have signed F Andreas Thuresson, 23, acquired from Nashville for Brodie Dupont, to a 1-year, two-way deal