HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Steve MacIntyre (1 yr | $600k | 2-way)

Old
07-13-2011, 05:27 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
Even with MacIntyre, we will have room on our opening day roster for one of Vitale or Johnson. All it will take is one pre-season injury up front to have the space to keep both of them up front. Injuries have happened so often that Shero seems to plan for them, which is why I don't even see this as an asset management problem. It might be in theory, but in practice, roster spots are going to open up.
scratch that, Jeffrey thinks he will be ready for TC.

http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3211877

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
"I should be ready for training camp (in early September). I'm a few weeks ahead of schedule," Jeffrey says.
And camp just got even better.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
mpp9

It's going to be a battle. We could run a bottom six with Matt Cooke and just WBS players.

Jeffrey-Letestu-Tangradi
Cooke-Vitale-Johnson

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:31 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
You're ecstatic over a goon? Lol how random
You know that for decades there are many people who enjoy this part of the game right? Why else is there hockey fight sites and youtube vids all over the place. Just because you don't get excited about this aspect of the game doesn't mean its "random".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
The best fighter that was available at the time signed with Dallas.
Nope, you have the best fighter in the league playing for you right now. Just because Godard won one fight against this guy doesn't mean he is the better fighter. I will put money down that Godard is not looking forward to their next battle.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
JTG

Godard was/is a better fighter. What Mac has on him is that he's significantly bigger

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:03 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
And camp just got even better.
I think camp just got boring. It is really locked in. If Tangradi makes the team, they will send him or Mac down until they trade somebody. Johnson and Vitale are SOL now

Old
07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Love the addition of MacIntyre. I feel very comfortable with our current roster.

I'd love to see the young guys really push for a spot, though. That would only make us better.

Not an ideal number of natural right-wingers, but at least we have options on that side.

Training camp will be FUN.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:26 PM
JTG

According to Tangradi, he is equally comfortable on both sides of the ice. That helps our cause, and in turn, really helps his.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I think camp just got boring.
How is three good young C (and one crafty vet) vying for one or potentially two C spots (if the Staalkin horror rears its ugly head again), or two C one RW spot, boring? It's going to be a battle. Even Craig Adams is not guaranteed a C spot with this many eager, talented young dudes ready to step it up. Though he is almost assuredly guaranteed A spot on the 4th line since he (like Mr. Versatile) can play all three F positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's going to be a battle. We could run a bottom six with Matt Cooke and just WBS players.

Jeffrey-Letestu-Tangradi
Cooke-Vitale-Johnson
I don't see how Johnson beats out Adams for any spot on line 4 including RW. There are about 3 different combos that might work in addition to yours though:

Cooke - Jeffrey - Tangradi
Adams - Letestu - Vitale

Cooke - Letestu - Tangradi
Jeffrey - Adams - Vitale
(less fond of any move that puts Jeffrey on line 4 but it would be a pretty good 4th line)

Cooke - Jeffrey - Asham
Tangradi - Letestu - Adams

Make it 4
Jeffrey - Letestu - Cooke (someone suggested he might be able to play RW - I think he did In Van)
Tangradi - Adams- Vitale

(In WBS, who did Tangradi play with most of last year as C?)

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:15 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Nope, you have the best fighter in the league playing for you right now. Just because Godard won one fight against this guy doesn't mean he is the better fighter. I will put money down that Godard is not looking forward to their next battle.
God won the fight because he's the better fighter.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:16 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

I have already stated why...14 players are locked into spots. I think Tangradi is the one guy who could make things interesting and push the envelope, and I have no idea what they would do in that situation.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:17 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
How is three good young C (and one crafty vet) vying for one or potentially two C spots (if the Staalkin horror rears its ugly head again), or two C one RW spot, boring? It's going to be a battle. Even Craig Adams is not guaranteed a C spot with this many eager, talented young dudes ready to step it up. Though he is almost assuredly guaranteed A spot on the 4th line since he (like Mr. Versatile) can play all three F positions.

I don't see how Johnson beats out Adams for any spot on line 4 including RW. There are about 3 different combos that might work in addition to yours though:

Cooke - Jeffrey - Tangradi
Adams - Letestu - Vitale

Cooke - Letestu - Tangradi
Jeffrey - Adams - Vitale
(less fond of any move that puts Jeffrey on line 4 but it would be a pretty good 4th line)

Cooke - Jeffrey - Asham
Tangradi - Letestu - Adams

Make it 4
Jeffrey - Letestu - Cooke (someone suggested he might be able to play RW - I think he did In Van)
Tangradi - Adams- Vitale

(In WBS, who did Tangradi play with most of last year as C?)
Mark it down, now that Jeffrey is going to be ready for camp, Vitale as 0 chance of making this team.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Where was it said that Jeffrey was going to be ready for camp?

I may have missed it.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical View Post
Where was it said that Jeffrey was going to be ready for camp?

I may have missed it.
http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3211877

Pens resign Dustin Jeffrey
Courtright native says he'll be ready for training camp
By JACK POIRIER, The Observer
Updated 11 hours ago
Four months ago Dustin Jeffrey was enjoying the high spot of his young National Hockey League career.

He was logging a lot of minutes with the Pittsburgh Penguins and he was seizing the opportunity.

Injuries opened a roster spot and Jeffrey was showcasing a strong two-way game and scoring big goals.

However, his season came to an end on March 24 when he tore his ACL on an innocent looking play after Philadelphia Flyers' forward Jeff Carter fell on Jeffrey's right knee.

"It was so disappointing," the Courtright native recalls.

"It was a good time for me playing. I was getting an opportunity to play some big minutes."

Such injuries have ruined careers.

But Jeffrey pledged to himself that he would work hard with the goal of being healthy for training camp and cracking the Pens' lineup.

Four months into his rehab with Dr. John Vargo in Sarnia, Jeffrey says his knee has responded well to treatment.

He's confident. So too are the Penguins, who signed the forward to a new two-year $1.15 million contract this week.

The deal is a two-way deal in 2011-12 and a one-way deal in 2012-13. The contract has an average annual value of $575,000 at the NHL level.

The 23-year-old is coming off a season where he saw the most extensive NHL action of his professional career. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound forward established NHL career highs in games played (25), goals (7), assists (5) and points (12).

With the club plagued with injuries, including to stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the two-time AHL all star with the Penguins' top minor-league affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, was given more of an offensive responsibility.

Jeffrey responded on March 5 with his first two-goal performance of his NHL career at Boston, including the overtime winner.

"I should be ready for training camp (in early September). I'm a few weeks ahead of schedule," Jeffrey says.

He expects to be cleared for skating after meeting with his surgeon and team trainers upon his return to Pittsburgh in about three weeks.

"I feel really good right now," he says. "My rehab has been going very well."

As for his new contract, Jeffrey says it's rewarding that the club view him as part of their future.

"Pittsburgh is a place I wanted to stay. I've been with them my entire professional career. There's a family atmosphere within the organization."

So with the contract out of the way, Jeffrey says he can now focus on getting healthy and being ready for training camp and helping the club on the ice.

"Obviously I want to earn a roster spot and keep a roster spot."

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Good job Ray.. I like this signing a lot

Too bad Goddard is gone, he was the ultimate team guy and did a ton in the community.. having said that, MacIntyre is one of the few acceptable replacements we could have gotten.. he also has a great reputation in the locker room and is big on community involvement/charity

What the kinder-gentler HF Penguins message board faithful don't understand is that having a legit top 5 HW on the team makes the superstars and our GM much more comfortable.. and at 50k above league minimum, especially for an intimidating SOB like Big Mac, there really isn't anything to get their collective panties in a bunch about

Mrs Crosby's Dryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:04 AM
TowMater14

Quote:
God won the fight because he's the better fighter.
OK then. So with that train of thought.... Freakin Hal Gil , Eric Boulton, Scott Parker, Riley Cote, Shawn Thorton and Matt Carkner are all better fighters than Godard. Big Mac has lost 2 fights in the last two years and has a much better career fight percentage than Godard. But hey...what do I know??? Godard got him good with that punch and he still played the rest of the game with a broken orbital bone and smoked Letang, He is one tough sob.

Old
07-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Pens17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Crosby's Dryer View Post
Good job Ray.. I like this signing a lot

Too bad Goddard is gone, he was the ultimate team guy and did a ton in the community.. having said that, MacIntyre is one of the few acceptable replacements we could have gotten.. he also has a great reputation in the locker room and is big on community involvement/charity

What the kinder-gentler HF Penguins message board faithful don't understand is that having a legit top 5 HW on the team makes the superstars and our GM much more comfortable.. and at 50k above league minimum, especially for an intimidating SOB like Big Mac, there really isn't anything to get their collective panties in a bunch about
A thinking person speaks out on an issue as abstract to many as plasma physics!

Pens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JTG

No one said he wasn't tough. He's not a better fighter than Godard though. Technically speaking.

Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
OK then. So with that train of thought.... Freakin Hal Gil , Eric Boulton, Scott Parker, Riley Cote, Shawn Thorton and Matt Carkner are all better fighters than Godard. Big Mac has lost 2 fights in the last two years and has a much better career fight percentage than Godard. But hey...what do I know??? Godard got him good with that punch and he still played the rest of the game with a broken orbital bone and smoked Letang, He is one tough sob.
He may be tough, but God is still the better fighter.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:25 AM
DeadGator401

Awesome, Solid signing.

I can't wait for October 25th.

DeadGator401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:32 AM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
No one said he wasn't tough. He's not a better fighter than Godard though. Technically speaking.
Quote:
He may be tough, but God is still the better fighter.
I'm sorry, statistically it is quite the contrary. I guess that I just don't follow your logic. I thought that the goal of a fight was to beat the other guy up, which Mac does more. But...if you technically fight better while getting beat up more you are the better fighter. Correct?

Old
07-14-2011, 12:41 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

i'm a big godard fan, but i dont know if he is the better fighter. Mac has had some impressive wins the last couple of years

when your talking about guys as big as this, anyone one of them can get the better shot in a certain fight. while he was an islander, colton orr beat godard like 2/3 times in a row but EG hasnt lost to him since

good signing, nice to see shero keep us strong in this area

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:44 AM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
i'm a big godard fan, but i dont know if he is the better fighter. Mac has had some impressive wins the last couple of years

when your talking about guys as big as this, anyone one of them can get the better shot in a certain fight. while he was an islander, colton orr beat godard like 2/3 times in a row but EG hasnt lost to him since

Agreed!

Old
07-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post

Yeah, I agree with this. Godard and MacIntyre are pretty even, they both have a similar mix of technical fighting and brawling. Both can switch hands.

Saying a guy is much better because of one fight is a stretch for sure, Chris Tamer TKO'd Bob Probert. Anyone want to push Tamer as the best fighter of the 90's?

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:09 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

This thread is depressing and discouraging, am I still in the Pens forum?

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote