HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Support for the Islanders!? Vote Yes!

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Support for the Islanders!? Vote Yes!

I come in peace.

I know some of you guys live out in Nassau.

We may hate each other but more importantly we love to hate each other. If the referendum is not passed on August 1st there is chance that the Islanders won't be here anymore. I'm asking those who live out in Nassau (and are registered to vote) to vote yes on August 1st. We need all the support we can get.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...e-nyi-to-stay/

Brian Boyle:

Quote:
“For the players and the fans, our games against the Islanders are the most exciting of the regular season and I hope some day we’ll battle in the playoffs. What we have with the Islanders and the Devils, with the teams in such close proximity, is special. I don’t ever want to see that change and I hope the best for the Islanders and their fans throughout New York.”
Here is a little FAQ published by the Islanders website

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568969

Thanks Guys

Old
07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

there is nothing more I'd like to see than the Isles get shipped out of here btw.

07-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

I definately do not want to see you guys relocated. Ever since I was young I loved to hate the Islanders, and I do not want to see that come to an end

Old
07-13-2011, 08:49 PM

See ya.

Old
07-13-2011, 08:49 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

vCash: 1150
im voting no

i dont see why they can just play there home games at ice works in Syosset they wouldnt have a problem selling out there

Old
07-13-2011, 08:51 PM
free0717

I dont live in Nassau County, but would hate to see this rivalry put to an end.

PS. Potvin still sucks

Old
07-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

As a fan of the younger generation, I have no real appreciation for the "rivalry". All I love to do is rag on Islander fans because their team sucks. Nothing would make my day like the Islanders being shipped out to Kansas City. It just gives another thing to stick in their faces. Plus, there is only room for one team in NY, and that is the RANGERS!

Old
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Crease

Why any Rangers fan would want to see the Islanders relocated is beyond me. I look forward to every game the Rangers play against the Islanders.

Old
07-13-2011, 08:57 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

vCash: 1150
as a Nassau Resident i don't want to be paying for it for the next 50 years and like most Rangers fans i believe there is a bigger rivalry between the flyers/Devils than the Islanders

Old
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I still can't stand the Islanders, but with the weakening of the rivalry over the last couple of years my displeasure for them has subsided some. I don't have the benefit of getting to fully enjoy the rivalry when it was in it's hayday.

I still want nothing more than to see continued suffering out of Islanders fans, but at the same time I really want to see this become a passionate rivalry again.

I'm not going to lie, going to games at the Colosseum is extremely painful. The arena is a dump, and it's really only a 2nd home game for us.

Unfortunately I live in Jersey and cannot vote, but if it means anything to you guys you have my support. Both of us have extremely young teams and having a chance to both develop at the same time would be incredible. Add to the fact that it would be another black eye for hockey to have yet another relocation,

Best of luck guys. I hope you guys stick around and I'm looking forward to a renewed rivalry.

07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
My aunt lives near Naussau, but I don't think she knows about this campaign. I'll make sure she votes yes. It will be a travesty to see the Islanders get relocated, I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemies. We also need a younger brother to look up to us anyways.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:03 PM
mullichicken25

I don't want the team to move simply due to the fear of those cavemen migrating over to our fanbase

Even if only one of them did it, that's one too many

Old
07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

NVMC is the site of some seriously epic times...home of the Islanders... also many amazing musical moments.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
as a Nassau Resident i don't want to be paying for it for the next 50 years and like most Rangers fans i believe there is a bigger rivalry between the flyers/Devils than the Islanders
Next 50 years? Is that how long it will take to get the investment repaid? The site says that 11.5% of every dollar that comes into the building will repay the residents...

Old
07-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Voting no.

Rather them go somewhere where they can fill up a building.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:33 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Well, I'm not a nassau resident so I can't vote
BUT, I dont want to see the isles leave, some of my best friends are Isles fans and I love the rivalry
Although even if I was a Nassau resident I probably wouldn't get out and vote
so yeah...

Old
07-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
As a fan of the younger generation, I have no real appreciation for the "rivalry". All I love to do is rag on Islander fans because their team sucks. Nothing would make my day like the Islanders being shipped out to Kansas City. It just gives another thing to stick in their faces. Plus, there is only room for one team in NY, and that is the motha fudging RANGERS!
Basically this. I never got to see them play when the rivalry actually meant something. Now it's just a second home ice.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

Vote Yes for the economy. Last thing we need it all those jobs that arena creates getting shipped off the Island.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Kind of Blue

The fact that a minor league ballpark was tied into this project is ridiculous. It's one thing to keep the Islanders on Long Island, but Nassau residents really don't need to be paying for a ballpark.

If this is passed, Nassau homeowners will pay an additional $58 in taxes each year for the next 30 years.

The county will receive 11.5% of revenue generated by the arena.

It's not a terrible deal, but the cost could have been lower (specifically by excluding the ballpark) and the return probably could have been greater.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

This will pass because people are suckers.

Wang will never pay the money back. Wait and see.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Noreaster96

Islander fan coming in peace to clarify a few things with regards to the proposed deal. 11.5% of total revenue from the colisseum goes to the county IN ADDITION TO tax revenue generated by the colisseum. For those with the time to read the entire deal, here is the link to an independent associations review of the deal

http://islanders.nhl.com/v2/ext/HUB%...PROJEC_001.pdf

In short, it lays out that not only will the Colisseum be able to pay back the initial investment and loan services, but also profit Nassau County in the long term. It also goes a bit into what would happen if the Colisseum were not to be approved.

This being said it is an investment, and like any investment, there is risk involved. Noone can guarantee much in the future, BUT I am highly confident that if this is voted down, taxes will be HIGHER than if voted into action.

Also, for those saying theyre too young for the rivalry... If you can actually vote that means you're at the very most a few years younger than I, and I know that my blood boils whenever the Islanders face the Rangers (And I love it).

If, by any stretch of the imagination, the Rangers were threatened to be moved (Granted this would never happen given their Original 6 status and, lets face it, regardless of what you think of the Rangers they are definitely one of the most prominent NHL franchises) I would fight it tooth and nail because I love the games they play against eachother and the rivalry among the fans (even if it hasnt been its strongest in recent years).

With both teams containing up and coming rosters I promise that we are close to a new awakening of a heated rivalry that will be great for fans of both sides. So please, lend us a hand vote yes and watch as both teams will be contending for high playoff spots in the near future

Thank you for your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
The fact that a minor league ballpark was tied into this project is ridiculous. It's one thing to keep the Islanders on Long Island, but Nassau residents really don't need to be paying for a ballpark.

If this is passed, Nassau homeowners will pay an additional $58 in taxes each year for the next 30 years.
The county will receive 11.5% of revenue generated by the arena.

It's not a terrible deal, but the cost could have been lower (specifically by excluding the ballpark) and the return probably could have been greater.
I dont believe this is true... I believe that its 11.5% + Tax generated at the colisseum which, according to Camoin, would lead to a profit starting in year 3 of the loan. Not saying that taxes wont be higher (just not from this project)

Old
07-13-2011, 09:51 PM
frankthefrowner

Holy crap i am disgusted by some of my fellow ranger fans. This rivalry while not currently at its peak is one of the best in hockey. Hell even when 1 of the two teams arent all that good the games are always fun to watch.

If i lived in Nassau county i would vote yes in 10 seconds without hesitation. The islanders are storied franchise who have been saddled with piss poor ownership for far too long. They are also a loyal fanbase and i dont want to hear any crap about them not selling out the past couple years. Just look at the early 2000 teams they were good teams and the building rocked hard. But its hard as a fan to spend alot of money on tickets and concessions and parking when the team frankly has no hope of competing.

I would also hate not being able to just goto a random game on the island because im a god damn hockey fan. One of my favorite experiences was actually at a Hawks Isles game from like 5-6 years ago during a big snow storm. They played the game presumably because the Hawks werent going to be back and there were like 2000 people there. They let us move down to the lower bowl and we were sitting right behind craig anderson when he first came up. We kept yelling Mr Anderson at him like a bunch of jackasses(its when the matrix trilogy was out) and he even shot us a smile and a wave.

Losing the Isles to Kansas city would be a huge blow to me those 6 games we play against them good or bad are fun and would water down the games for me..

Vote Yes.. luckily those of you who say you are voting no probablyt cant vote yet anyway.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
I dont believe this is true... I believe that its 11.5% + Tax generated at the colisseum which, according to Camoin, would lead to a profit starting in year 3 of the loan. Not saying that taxes wont be higher (just not from this project)
The annual debt service will be $26 million. The county's 11.5% of the arena's revenue will not cover that (with the possible exception of the first year, if you want to assume a "honeymoon period").

The tax increase to cover the debt is starting at $58. I've yet to find any guarantee that that $58 will be reduced when the arena revenues start coming in in year 3. It will be difficult to significantly reduce that because it is difficult to predict exactly how much revenue will be coming in (above the minimum $14 million that the Islanders have to pay).

Old
07-13-2011, 09:59 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Unfortunately, I cannot vote.

Hope it passes. Look forward to the day that the New York Rangers meet (and beat) the New York Islanders in the ECF.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I live in Nassau. As a matter of fact a lot of Isles players rent houses in my town during the season (Bruno Gervais, Chris Campoli, Arron Asham when they played here). I would vote (yes) but I'm not registered to vote and don't really feel like registering just for this, seeing as how I don't plan on voting in any gubernatorial/presidential/senate elections ever.

Closed Thread