HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins to host prospect development camp from 7/11 - 7/16

Old
07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

vCash: 500
Thanks sina for the rundown on the BB interview.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
JTG

http://www.1059thex.com/cc-common/po...0713153247.mp3

Anything on Mark Madden is put on his page at WXDX.com

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:36 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

If there's an internet link to the Tangradi interview, someone please post it!

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Considering the AHL site listed him at 219lbs...I don't know if that's a good thing.
Yeah, I thought he was around 208ish a year ago for some reason. I guess I was wrong.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I thought I heard that the only day this was open to the public was Saturday. Is that correct?

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:57 PM
87isgod

Yeah he should of dropped 20 pounds and be a beanpole and get knocked off every loose puck and get crushed in front of the net but hey he mite be half a step faster and would fit our system better. Some of you guys are being ridiculous over this. I hope he comes to camp and in that first pre season game demolishes people then you all will shut up.

87isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:07 PM
ThatGuy

Send a message via MSN to ThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87isgod View Post
Yeah he should of dropped 20 pounds and be a beanpole and get knocked off every loose puck and get crushed in front of the net but hey he mite be half a step faster and would fit our system better. Some of you guys are being ridiculous over this. I hope he comes to camp and in that first pre season game demolishes people then you all will shut up.
wat.

ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:07 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87isgod View Post
Have you seen Veilleux play, at all? His legs are skinny compared to the rest of his body, it looks downright awkward when you watch him.

Now, Mike Rupp is also 6'5" and was at 230lbs, Veilleux at 219lbs looks fine for his upper body, but his lower body looks like it's behind, his legs are skinny and he needs to bulk up. What you miss is that it's muscle people want him to pack on. It would help him have powerful strides if he continues to work on his skating while he bulked up.

All this crap about agility and what not is bs, players know their bodies, if they can add the muscle and still play well they will know. Veilleux has had shoulder issues in the past, getting stronger wouldn't be a bad thing for a guy that is physical and fights. Having stronger legs will help him with leverage when he fights as well, a stronger base.

[IMG]http://media.timesleader.com/images/300*346/Keven_Veilleux_1_12-19-2010_COG61IF.jpg[/IMG]

Look at those pics and tell me he doesn't need to bulk up his legs, getting stronger in general when you are a guy that suddenly start fighting more often isn't a bad thing.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Dat guy may be soff.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:13 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

We are so far removed from the "country club" its amazing. You can see that organization and players are taking strength and nutrition seriously.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
We are so far removed from the "country club" its amazing. You can see that organization and players are taking strength and nutrition seriously.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
JTG

Oddly enough, after that, Recchi had a career resurgence of sorts.

I was hoping that Gary Roberts would have been retained by this organization in some form or fashion. No such luck.

The guys in this camp are the ones that need a Gary Roberts around.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Should I just buy my Sill jersey now, or should I wait til he's high on the list of trades TBD so I can get it on discount?

Seriously, this guy is the **** and an ultimate leader in WBS. I hope he joins the NHL Pens sooner than later. For once we won't have to steal a pest from Vancouver and we'll have our own.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Burgs

From the Post-Gazette:

Quote:
Two defensemen, Alex Grant (wrist) and Joe Rogalski (unspecified) are not participating in on-ice sessions as a precaution because of lingering or nagging injuries.
Hope that is not the same wrist he broke so badly during last year's prospect tournament.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Since you guys seem to be more obsessed with weight than a teenage white girl I thought I'd chime in and offer up a few tidbits on the reporting of weight by teams.

Typically, teams will release a "Development Camp" press guide prior to the camp starting with general information about all the attendees (stats, measurables, etc...). So often times early reports come out based around that camp guide and people tend to take those as the most recent figures but are most liking last year's numbers. Day 1 of any team Development Camp is filled with testing...both physical and mental. This is also where the updated height and weight measurements are taken. Some teams will then release and updated press guide during camp if there's an inter-squad scrimmage or something that will include the newest info.

It may take some time for that info to trickle down to the web though, especially if that player hasn't turned pro yet. The league is notoriously bad at maintaining team roster pages (and this is controlled by the league not the teams) and that's why you'll constantly see former players listed.

Both height and weight reporting is notoriously either incorrect or exaggerated. How much do you tell people you weigh? Now think about how you'd respond if you new a bunch of girls on a hockey message board were going to scrutinize you for it. So taking players at their word isn't all the best approach. Besides, their weight fluctuates like crazy, especially during the season like others have mentioned. I played hockey the other night and weighed myself before the game and the next morning and the difference was about 8 pounds...and I typically walk around at 175.

In the end, I'd base more on what I can actually see than what is reported. Like Tangradi looks like a monster now...and KV's legs are still pretty tiny, but he's added bulk to his upper body. Visible changes are easier to track than weight gain, so it's always good to read reports about a player's appearance as opposed to what he may have weighed at some point when he stepped on a scale.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Oddly enough, after that, Recchi had a career resurgence of sorts.

I was hoping that Gary Roberts would have been retained by this organization in some form or fashion. No such luck.

The guys in this camp are the ones that need a Gary Roberts around.
I don't think training/nutrition and better performance is a coincidence. Instilling his habits into the players would help them in so many areas.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Sotty

Bill Guerin mic'ed up:

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...d=-6&id=120744

"If I didn't have to skate I could still play." Yeah, we all saw that first-hand.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
From the Post-Gazette:

Hope that is not the same wrist he broke so badly during last year's prospect tournament.

Maybe if Grant would stop punching Joe Victory in the shoulder before practices, he'd stop breaking his wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
Bill Guerin mic'ed up:

"If I didn't have to skate I could still play." Yeah, we all saw that first-hand.
I am glad he didn't leave. Anyone who can poke fun at himself like that is made of win.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Since you guys seem to be more obsessed with weight than a teenage white girl I thought I'd chime in and offer up a few tidbits on the reporting of weight by teams.

Typically, teams will release a "Development Camp" press guide prior to the camp starting with general information about all the attendees (stats, measurables, etc...). So often times early reports come out based around that camp guide and people tend to take those as the most recent figures but are most liking last year's numbers. Day 1 of any team Development Camp is filled with testing...both physical and mental. This is also where the updated height and weight measurements are taken. Some teams will then release and updated press guide during camp if there's an inter-squad scrimmage or something that will include the newest info.

It may take some time for that info to trickle down to the web though, especially if that player hasn't turned pro yet. The league is notoriously bad at maintaining team roster pages (and this is controlled by the league not the teams) and that's why you'll constantly see former players listed.

Both height and weight reporting is notoriously either incorrect or exaggerated. How much do you tell people you weigh? Now think about how you'd respond if you new a bunch of girls on a hockey message board were going to scrutinize you for it. So taking players at their word isn't all the best approach. Besides, their weight fluctuates like crazy, especially during the season like others have mentioned. I played hockey the other night and weighed myself before the game and the next morning and the difference was about 8 pounds...and I typically walk around at 175.

In the end, I'd base more on what I can actually see than what is reported. Like Tangradi looks like a monster now...and KV's legs are still pretty tiny, but he's added bulk to his upper body. Visible changes are easier to track than weight gain, so it's always good to read reports about a player's appearance as opposed to what he may have weighed at some point when he stepped on a scale.
8 lbs is always what I lost too

Old
07-14-2011, 09:55 AM
JTG

I love how Guerin is constantly chirping at Bennett

Old
07-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Who is #7 that bombed the slapper Billy was so impressed with? I saw a 17 but I don't think that's who it was.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:06 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Who is #7 that bombed the slapper Billy was so impressed with? I saw a 17 but I don't think that's who it was.
Joe Morrow

Old
07-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Joe Morrow
That's encouraging. [Although I read at least one guy who said he's slow to get the shot off. But he turns 19 this winter I think so probably has minimum 3 more years in minors before taking a real shot at the big team in camp.]

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-14-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
Bill Guerin mic'ed up:

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...d=-6&id=120744

Man Tangradi looked ****ing huge in that video...

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:01 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I almost forgot about Kuhnhackl in all of this. Here's an article about him on the Trib's site...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_746661.html

Quote:
"An 18-year-old does fill out and grow, but Tommy's gotten taller (since last summer) as well," said Tom Fitzgerald, the Penguins' assistant to the general manager. "His dad is a big, big man. He's a big kid who can skate, can really rip the puck, and he's got good hockey skills. He plays both wings, so he's a top prospect for us."
I wonder how tall he is now...

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote