HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Prospal

Old
07-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Miller Time NYR

vCash: 500
Vinny Prospal

9g 14a 23 pts in 29 games last year.

Do we bring him back on the cheap, can he still perform, whats the deal with his knee?

ive seen his name mentioned here and there and was wondering what everyone's thinking about him, we need another left winger and he played with richards in tampa.

DISCLAIMER
NO need for 10 posts stating we need to sign dubi, cali, and boyle; i know.
discuss....

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
I say sign him up after we get our RFAs done. He can play on the third line with Stepan or the first line with Richards. If Thomas makes the team, he could be a scratch that comes in and plays when someone needs a break. He can play in any situation and extra rest definately will not hurt him. I say if its on the cheap, then get it done

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Uncle Sam

Dont Want... Let the kids play.

He has way to many injury problems and is not worth the risk imo.

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

There's too much of a log jam at forwards imo. No one knows any thing about his knee, but I personally don't think he can with stand a full season. Maybe we give him time to rest up, let him practice with us, and sign him around Christmas? Assuming we still need a LW to play with Richards-Gaborik.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SouthJerseyRanger

Well, he was first brought in after Tortorella was already the coach, so he's certainly not a relic of old times ala Chris Drury or Michal Rozsival. He's been a little less than a point a game player since he got here, so he's been productive.

I'm not sure I want him taking any time away from the young guys already in place. I want to see guys like Stepan, Anisimov, and Zuccarello progress without older vets taking time away.

I'd lean towards "no"... but if they bring him back because they think he will provide some consistent offense I won't really mind. The guy has some fire in his game, as well. Always a plus.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:16 PM
darko

Yes sign him. The guy produced at a good clip last season (29 games only though). Injuries will happen and we need depth. Depth is a good thing people. Around $1.5 mill should be enough to bring him back.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Invite him to training camp, see how his knee holds up. if he's anything but 100%, let him walk, and if he's still available midseason and we could use him, then bring him back.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

We already have 13 forwards plus Zucc and that is not including some of the young guys like Hagelin. I don't see where Vinny fits unless we dump one of Wolski/Avery/EC. Another option could be to invite him to camp, and if he looks really good then make room for him.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post

What kids? Who besides Hagelin could realistically make the team this season? (and hes certainly not playing in the top 6).

Prospal is a smart, low-risk move on a cheap one year deal. If he goes down, you're in the same situation - if he plays well, you have that left winger the team is looking for.

Win-win.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post

id take an injured Prospal over an healthy Christensen even on the roster so if signing Prospal means they have to send Christensen down im all for it even if he plays 40 games...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Couldn't hurt. Depth.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id take an injured Prospal over an healthy Christensen even on the roster so if signing Prospal means they have to send Christensen down im all for it even if he plays 40 games...
Seriously...people talk about a "logjam" at forward with guys like a terribly ineffective Avery, and Erik Christensen? I'd take nearly everyone over the latter, especially Prospal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:48 PM
MSG the place to be*

Almost .8 ppg

THATS FIRST LINE TERRITORY FOLKS.

Sign him before other GM's get their calculators out and learn the ppg formula.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I wouldn't be upset if we signed him for cheap but I think it's time to let that ship sail. For now, I'd wait and see where this team is come late December / January and then consider signing Prospal (assuming he doesnt sign somewhere else) as a deadlineish veteran bulk up for the playlets kind of move rather than trading for someone more expensive. Of course it depends on what our needs are at the time. Hemsky is a ufa-to-be who could fit very nicely next to Richards and Gabby or anywhere in our top 6. But if Dubinsky or Feds or Boyle or Zucc are making sweet music on the top line and we need a gritty veteran D or some bottom 9 depth (you never know how things end up over the course of a season. Lots of things can change, not even considering injuries), then Prospal and Hemsky are not the way to go. PS I'm so effing excited for this season!

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:21 PM
beastly115

I don't see him being brought back. His knees are shot.

The only scenario I can see working out is if he accepts a tryout and a salary of 1M/1yr. Not sure how bonuses work with the cap but Slats could throw in another 1M if he plays like 25 games or something.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:10 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think he needs to be resigned unless they have a trade in the works for a left winger.... aside from dubinsky we're pretty weak there. At almost a ppg, and at very low salary, its a no brainer

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:13 PM
NYRangers16

I like the idea of signing him cheaply 1 year 1-1.5m ...assuming his knee is ok. He can get Avery's spot for all I care, and maybe we can rotate him in/out to keep him fresh. He'd outproduce most of our other wingers on a ppg basis.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
I like the idea of signing him cheaply 1 year 1-1.5m ...assuming his knee is ok. He can get Avery's spot for all I care, and maybe we can rotate him in/out to keep him fresh. He'd outproduce most of our other wingers on a ppg basis.
It would be a depth signing that would work out in our favor incase there are injuries or somebody ***** the bed and plays like garbage

Old
07-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Unpredictable1

He's been nothing but a clear bargain for us. I'd like him back, maybe a reduced role or scratched here and there saving him for the late season push.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:25 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Seriously...people talk about a "logjam" at forward with guys like a terribly ineffective Avery, and Erik Christensen? I'd take nearly everyone over the latter, especially Prospal.
Send down Christensen, buyout/trade Wolski, sign Prospal. Im fine with that. Like another said, he doesn't necessarily need to be on the first line. He can play in different roles. His knees make me nervous, but I haven't noticed him to be a liability away from the puck, especially compared with Christensen and WW.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
He's been nothing but a clear bargain for us. I'd like him back, maybe a reduced role or scratched here and there saving him for the late season push.
exactly. He was a big reason that we were able to make the push late in the season to make the playoffs next year.

.8 ppg for a player only making 1 mil, that is an absolute steal. He still has gas in the tank, I say we take him for a ride one more time

Old
07-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I'd sign him for no more than 1 million per to play on Gaborik's wing.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Miller Time NYR

Any talk about his knees being shot etc is pure speculation, since the end of the season there been no talk from media or whoever about his knees or overall health.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:54 PM
LyNX27

For 1.5 million, we'd be stupid not to do it. I think the organization is waiting till after the obvious contracts that need to be signed to fit him in under the wiggle room.

In my eyes, we have to pick him up.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:02 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Any talk about his knees being shot etc is pure speculation, since the end of the season there been no talk from media or whoever about his knees or overall health.
EXACTLY......he will have had 3+ months to strengthen a knee ( if it evens needs strengthening ), that appeared to be just fine by the end of the season. To anybody who says not to sign a veteran player who can still contribute , a guy who had a busted knee for the first 2/3's of the year.....comes back and help push this team in to the playoffs with 23 points in 29 games, is just plain crazy. Even if he sits a game here and a game there just to stay fresh......i personally thinks it stupid not to bring him on board again, especially if we dont get a legit LW for the first line. MZA......not gonna produce to the likes of Vinny.....sorry.

noupf is offline   Reply With Quote