HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan on the wing?

Old
07-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Come season time, I think these are our lines.

Duby/Fedotenko - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski/Duby - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski/Fedotenko - Stepan - Zucc
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

I don't see Stepan on the wing, nor do I want him on the wing.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:28 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
^ That is what I think would happen; Stepan would slot in with Callahan/Dubinsky, and Anisimov moves back to center a defensively oriented third line. Frankly, I think that deepens the lineup a bit, but also gives the players more defined roles.

EDIT:

In regards to the powerplay, this is how I see it shaking out:

Stepan/Callahan-Dubinsky-Gaborik

Richards-Erixon

Dubinsky/Gaborik/Richards are locks, IMO. Stepan/Callahan will battle it out for that LW spot; or, I could see Tortorella rotating them depending on the type of PK unit the Rangers will be facing. We can't forget Callahan's 11 PP goals this past season.
For PP1 I agree with:

Stepan - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Richards - Erixon

----

As for Stepan on the wing at 5v5, unless he can't improve on faceoffs, he should stay at center. His game is very well suited as a center.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
For PP1 I agree with:

Stepan - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Richards - Erixon

----

As for Stepan on the wing at 5v5, unless he can't improve on faceoffs, he should stay at center. His game is very well suited as a center.
Please explain to me why we take 11 PP goals Callahan off of the 1st line powerplay? He was great along the left boards and was one of our best playmakers on the powerplay, as well as goal scorer. Why take him off that unit?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Please explain to me why we take 11 PP goals Callahan off of the 1st line powerplay? He was great along the left boards and was one of our best playmakers on the powerplay, as well as goal scorer. Why take him off that unit?
Because compared to Callahan, Stepan has superior skills, vision, and passing, that's why.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Stepan is a Center. He's nowhere near a wing...not even close. He makes plays...that's what he does.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Because compared to Callahan, Stepan has superior skills, vision, and passing, that's why.
Just have Stepan play center and then move him to LW after the faceoff. Cally would just start on the faceoff as a LW as always does on the PP and will then move in front of the net.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
John Torturella

Its funny how much time is spent on here putting lines together when Tortorella will change them after a bad period or 2 anyway. In a sense, everybody is right because odds are, we will see a bit of every thing because thats the style of Torts.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

We should be grooming Stepan to play 2nd line center. Anything else is a sin and Gabby should be his winger.

Cally and Dubi should be Richards' wingers just like Ericksson and Neal.

2 power lines so they can't be shutdown. Gabby scored 40 without Richards and Stepan is already a deft playmaker, as is Wolski, who will come back with a new pair of skating legs thanks to Barb Underhill.

AA takes on the Jordan Staal like role and shuts down the opposition.

Dubi Richards Cally
Wolski Stepan Gabby
Boyle AA Feds/Prust
Rupp Avery Feds/Prust
Zuccarello

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
We should be grooming Stepan to play 2nd line center. Anything else is a sin and Gabby should be his winger.

2 power lines so they can't be shutdown. Gabby scored 40 without Richards and Stepan is already a deft playmaker, as is Wolski, who will come back with a new pair of skating legs thanks to Barb Underhill.

Dubi Richards Cally
Wolski Stepan Gabby
Boyle AA Feds/Prust
Rupp Avery Feds/Prust
Zuccarello
I like this lineup, but I would hate to break up the Pack Line. They were very consistent last year

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:44 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Everyone can we please stop trying to move centers to wings. I know we need another top 6 LW but there is no need for this. The only player that should and could possibly slot into a LW role is Brian Boyle. Other than that leave Richards, Anisimov, Stepan, and whoever as our center lineup. I dont get it, we FINALLY have great depth and skill at center and now people want to change their positions? Come on guys!
good one!!!

Seriously, if Boyle is moved to the wing then it's only in the bottom 6 role - he was good in his role last year but he does not have skills, vision, speed or hockey sense for top 6 role.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:24 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Dubi Richards Cally
Wolski Stepan Gabby
Boyle AA Feds/Prust
Rupp Avery Feds/Prust
Zuccarello
Definitely see your point but

1. Richards was specifically brought to play center with Gaborik.
2. Pack line was and should be again a power line in it's own right.

Coming into the training camp 1LW is Wolski's to lose. He's got tools to play the position and at any rate anyone with top-6 skills produce 60 - 70 points in this spot.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Stepan Guy View Post
Just have Stepan play center and then move him to LW after the faceoff. Cally would just start on the faceoff as a LW as always does on the PP and will then move in front of the net.
Dubinsky is going to be on PP1.

Stepan is awful on faceoffs. Dubinsky is one of our best faceoff guys.

Our Power Play was awful last year, lacked creativity, lacked the ability to move the puck. Putting the most skill on the top PP unit would increase chances of scoring. Can't have one guy (Richards) on the PP that can distribute the puck.

Stepan(distibutor) - Dubinsky(net presence) - Gaborik(shooter)
Richards(distributor) - Erixon(shooter)

Old
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Its funny how much time is spent on here putting lines together when Tortorella will change them after a bad period or 2 anyway. In a sense, everybody is right because odds are, we will see a bit of every thing because thats the style of Torts.
This is true lol.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
gotmonte

I am unsure where people should play this year. I really am. I guess we just have to see how training camp runs.

With Richards being so good in a few different area's, it gives Tort's options.. And we ALL know tort's with options means = PLAYERS SLOTTING ALL OVER THE PLACE AND CHANGED UP AND RECHANGED UP AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Hopefully with a true #1 Center, Torts can make 4 lines and keep them intact for the most part and just roll line after line after line. Our team has some pretty decent talent. I am very optimistic this year. I normally am gloom about the year but with a true PPQB and a #1 center all in one... the future is looking brighter plus Erixon is getting me excited. Rangers brass said he could be a #2 D-MAN! Thats saying A VERY LOT for a player that never played in the NHL. So I am psyched.

Good defense getting more experience, AWESOME GOALTENDING TANDOM, A PP that should be leaps and bounds better with a TRUE PPQB in Richards, a #1 Center on the top line dishing Gaborik tap-in's. I see Gaborik with no less than 40 goals next year and a 25 Goal year from Richards, Dubinsky with 25 and Callahan with 30. Stepan I say hits the sophmore wall and pots 15 goals (hope I am wrong). Boyle if he plays the same, 20 goals from him. Prust with 12-14 goals (hopefully but I am not totally sold on that).

Looking forward to seeing if Michael Del Zotto can earn his way onto this team and STICK. If so, I see 8-10 goals from him.

The future is bright for next year. As for Zucc's. I just dont know. I dont know if he can stick with the team and if he does, I dont know what type of production he will provide.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:52 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Dubinsky is going to be on PP1.

Stepan is awful on faceoffs. Dubinsky is one of our best faceoff guys.

Our Power Play was awful last year, lacked creativity, lacked the ability to move the puck. Putting the most skill on the top PP unit would increase chances of scoring. Can't have one guy (Richards) on the PP that can distribute the puck.

Stepan(distibutor) - Dubinsky(net presence) - Gaborik(shooter)
Richards(distributor) - Erixon(shooter)
There's no guarantee Stepan will still be bad at faceoffs. Is there not a possibility that he improves? Callahan also brings a better net presence than Dubinsky and is better on the powerplay.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Stepan Guy View Post
There's no guarantee Stepan will still be bad at faceoffs. Is there not a possibility that he improves? Callahan also brings a better net presence than Dubinsky and is better on the powerplay.
Callahan is not a better option as net presence. And Dubinsky is able to control the puck down low in a way Callahan does not do. Dubinsky can play a puck possession game and open space for his teammates.

Stepan could improve on faceoffs, but before the start of the season, before playing NHL games? Doubtful. It'll take a couple of years before he improves to the point he can center the top PP unit. Dubinsky is by far our second best faceoff guy (behind Richards, who won't be taking faceoffs on the PP as he will be QBing from the point).

Callahan will get PP time, but being realistic, he isn't the best option there anymore.

You can not have a bunch of grinders on the PP. The PP is critical. You need to have creativity and be able to move the puck and not be predictable.

Old
07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Kershaw

I'd double-shift Richards on both powerplays, 2nd with preferably Girardi or MDZ if he's called up.

Stepan to the wings is a big no go for me, just be patient, his face-offs should improve as he gains experience.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:13 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think callahan showed at the end of the year he belongs on the first pp unit...no way stepan takes that spot

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Why can't we just have 3 or 4 good centers? In today's game every line needs to contribute. It's really become more than ever a four line game.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think callahan showed at the end of the year he belongs on the first pp unit...no way stepan takes that spot
Powerplay Line 1

Wolski - Stepan - Gaborik

Richards - Del Zotto/Erixon

Powerplay Line 2

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

Girardi - Del Zotto/Erixon

This is only if Erixon and DZ both make the team, otherwise replace one with McD or Staal

Old
07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Powerplay Line 1

Wolski - Stepan - Gaborik

Richards - Del Zotto/Erixon

Powerplay Line 2

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

Girardi - Del Zotto/Erixon

This is only if Erixon and DZ both make the team, otherwise replace one with McD or Staal
I remember some Dallas fans saying they kept Richards out on the PP for the full 2 minutes.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I remember some Dallas fans saying they kept Richards out on the PP for the full 2 minutes.
That is also an option. I was just making lines lol

Old
07-14-2011, 12:23 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

given how insanely well Shelley-Anisimov-Prust did, giving a Boyle-Anisimov-Prust combo a go is a no-brainer for me. I've been waiting for Torts to put some big boys with Anisimov to see if he can rekindle that scoring magic we saw in the spring of 2010.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Kershaw

Ahhh yes, Jody Shelley. Guy was a warrior for us down the stretch in 2009-10.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:00 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
We did but its not a good option. Richards would often be gassed by the end of it and cough the puck up on the blue line then go for a change while a SHG was scored against us. Playing him that long on the PP definitely gave him less energy to back check and was part of his defensive liabilities last year. He does better when rested more only playing a 1:00-1:20ish. Less shorties that way too.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote