HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bowman confident in his young centers

Old
07-13-2011, 09:11 PM
HMP

vCash: 500
Bowman confident in his young centers

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-young-centers

Is Marcus Kruger really THAT good? According to Bowman, the centers will line up as follows:

Toews (10-19-88 line)
Bolland
Kruger
Mayers

Thoughts? He doesn't think there is a need for another center since we have so many forwards and he says that we will have a ton of centers in a year or 2 (prospects etc)

HMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMP View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-young-centers

Is Marcus Kruger really THAT good? According to Bowman, the centers will line up as follows:

Toews (10-19-88 line)
Bolland
Kruger
Mayers

Thoughts? He doesn't think there is a need for another center since we have so many forwards and he says that we will have a ton of centers in a year or 2 (prospects etc)
What is with Bowman wanting to give Kruger a spot on roster?

He showed very little and isn't ready for NHL imo

Some time in Rockford as #1 C would do him good

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:25 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
He's seeing what the kid can do. If he shows he's not ready for a roster spot by the time the trade deadline rolls around, a move is made. Simple as that.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

The ONLY benefit I see, is that if he plays #3 Center, he is apparently already pretty defensively savvy, so the risk to the Hawks would be minimal. What I question is his offensive game. Will that third line take a productivity hit from where it was with Bolland running things? That's my concern.

I guess there is no harm in seeing how he does early on. If it doesn't work out, he can play in Rockford and get some more ice time and experience.

But I agree, I don't see the need to rush him. It wouldn't kill us to start with Sharp at #2 C and Bolland at #3 C and give Kruger some top line minutes in Rockford.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:33 PM
madgoat33

I think i just **** my pants and threw up all over myself at the same time.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

So would a full offseason and a training camp. I don't have a chubby for Kruger by any means but I'm willing to give him a shot. Hopefully he improves at the dot, though.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:52 PM
IJReilly

On a related note, does anyone know the NHL record for lowest team faceoff percentage in a season?

IJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:18 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJReilly View Post
On a related note, does anyone know the NHL record for lowest team faceoff percentage in a season?

I don't know but it would probably be a team where the top center isn't one of the very best in the league.

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 07-13-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Flaming others
massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Cullksinikers

Opening night roster:

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Brunette-Bolland-Hossa
Bickell-Kruger-Frolik
Stalberg-Mayers-Smith
Carcillo-Olesz

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Leddy
Montador-Campoli
O'Donnell

Crawford
Salak

Quote:
"Ben Smith played really well in the playoffs. He played a lot of center in Rockford."
If Ben Smith can play center, I'd rather have him on the third line than Kruger. Our bottom-six should be this if Sharp is at left wing opening night:

Bickell-Smith-Frolik
Stalberg-Kruger-Mayers

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I hope he's right... I'd love to see Kruger shut some of us up and say "wow, he was right all along". It'd be a good situation to have.

He obviously sees something in him and I've liked and trusted the moves he's made thus far so I'll trust this. Not the ideal situation though, IMO.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:51 PM
RomersWorld*

I just don't get it. Why give an important position like 3rd line center to an unproven player like Kruger? He left me quite unimpressed with what I saw on the Hawks. I think he will be a good, impact player in the future for the Hawks but not right now.

I couldn't see the Red Wings handing over a spot like that to a rookie. They make their players earn it in the AHL and prove they can play in the NHL before they give them a roster spot, especially a top 9 spot. I just don't see the negative in signing a 3rd/4th line center instead of starting with Kruger. If Kruger shows that he is ready to be an impact player at the NHL level then he would be brought up.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:53 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I hope he's right... I'd love to see Kruger shut some of us up and say "wow, he was right all along". It'd be a good situation to have.
I really hope this is the case. Although he would really have had to make some big improvements this offseason for that to happen. I don't know, I just don't see it.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Cullksinikers

If Kruger is not doing well, they can make in house adjustments during the season before the trade deadline. If Kruger doesn't look like he can handle a top-nine job after a few weeks, they could do this:

Brunette-Toews-Kane
Smith-Sharp-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Frolik
Carcillo-Kruger-Mayers
Stalberg-Olesz

Old
07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
If Kruger is not doing well, they can make in house adjustments during the season before the trade deadline. If Kruger doesn't look like he can handle a top-nine job after a few weeks, they could do this:

Brunette-Toews-Kane
Smith-Sharp-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Frolik
Carcillo-Kruger-Mayers
Stalberg-Olesz
Now imagine this roster without a healthy Bolland and Hossa

I hope that they both can at least play 70 games. I think our roster last year was much more vulnerable and we dealt with injuries to both and still made the playoffs... but I don't want to think we'll have to deal with that again. Not when we have guys like Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook/Sharp on this roster.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I can't see us not going with

Toews
Sharp
Bolland
Mayers

No reason to rush Kruger in at this point.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I can't see us not going with

Toews
Sharp
Bolland
Mayers

No reason to rush Kruger in at this point.
I think they rushed him last year. They kind of threw him into the fire when Sharp went down against Phoenix. I wouldn't mind them kicking Mayers out to right wing, his natural position, and putting Kruger as a fourth line center. I don't think he's shown much on offense yet to be in the top-nine. He's good defensively, so the fourth line is a good line for him to start the 2011-12 campaign on.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Opening night roster:

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Brunette-Bolland-Hossa
Bickell-Kruger-Frolik
Stalberg-Mayers-Smith
Carcillo-Olesz

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Leddy
Montador-Campoli
O'Donnell

Crawford
Salak

If Ben Smith can play center, I'd rather have him on the third line than Kruger. Our bottom-six should be this if Sharp is at left wing opening night:

Bickell-Smith-Frolik
Stalberg-Kruger-Mayers
If ben smith can play a competent center, he better be there instead of Kruger. Unless of course Kruger has a good camp and shows he can win consistent faceoffs and not get bullied physically.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:18 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Nobody should be worried about Kruger's offensive game. I mean, before he came over from Sweden, most on this board would see his production and say "Kruger is definately one of our best offensive prospects".. and now people are concerned that he won't be able to produce enough to be a quality third line centremen?

He was the go-to guy on his SEL team offensively, was one of their leading scorers in the regular season and playoffs (as a rookie) in 09-10 and then lead the team in scoring last year. I'm not worried about his offensive game translating because he relies on his smarts, his hockey sense, something that can't be taught and something that should translate well despite the size of the rink.

When Kruger first came over, I had a couple concerns.. One, would he be a perimeter player? Two, how long would it take him to get used to the speed of NHL hockey?

The first question was obviously answered pretty quickly. Right off the bat Kruger showed the tenacity and feistiness to get into the dirty areas, the front of the net, the corners and even gave Hordichuk a shot in a scrum after his first NHL shift.

The second took a little more time, but after he came back from being a scratch (in game 2 against Vancouver) to end the season he seemed to play with more confidence and then after he was scratched in game 6, he followed that up with his best game (to that point) and was one of the most noticeable players in Game 7.

The stint was, what it was. He played safe, simple hockey, trying not to make mistakes. Coming in to a fresh year, competing in camp, he shouldn't have to worry about playing "just safe" hockey. He can focus more on playing his game right out of the gate, a puck-possession game, a puck-moving game, a game that should fit right in with the rest of our team.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Cullksinikers

They should just put Sharp at center.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:30 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Sharp-Toews-Kane needs to stay together. We need our puck possession game to be dominant.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:33 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Nobody should be worried about Kruger's offensive game.
In 12 NHL games(Reg+Playoffs): 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point, -2
Prorated stats(lol)
82 games, 0 goals, 7 assists, 7 points, -14

Nobody should be worried about his offense? Seriously? He showed VERY little offensive game with his time as a Blackhawks player. I honestly think Jake Dowell was about as good offensively. And there is no way I would feel comfortable with Dowell as our 3rd line center.

The kid obviously has talent, but he just wasn't there offensively. Let him refine his skills and get used to the North American rink.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Cullksinikers

I wish they'd trade for a number two center. Man, if we just got Stephen Weiss, I mean, wow. That would just be incredible. It seems like a pipedream, but his contract is extremely reasonable at this point for what he brings to the table. You could load up that top line, have a great second line, keep that Bickell-Bolland-Frolik line together, and have a good fourth line, which would include Smith and Kruger.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'm not worried about Kruger's offensive game in the future... he's proven he has an offensive game in the SEL as just a kid.

However, I'm worried about his offensive game the first 40-60 games. Beyond that, I'm worried about his ability to win faceoffs consistently and handle the physicality of the NHL. If he's gonna be our 3rd line center and fill Bolland's shoes, he's gotta improve in those departments. Bolland may not be the best faceoff guy either... but at the least, he wins nearly half his draws and isn't kicked out every few times he goes to the dot. And he can not only handle the physicality but dishes it out as well. We're so used to his superb defensive and pesky game and good offensive instincts that I just think it's hard to imagine Kruger stepping in and handling that role.

I mean, the kid has a bright future... and maybe he puts on some muscle mass, works on his draws and this all becomes a moot point and he shows what Bowman has been raving about for a while now. But from what he's shown in his brief stint in the NHL, IMO, there's a little bit of concern.

I'll admit I've been hard on him but part of me is excited that he'll prove me wrong. He's got a lot of potential... I just don't think it would hurt to start him out in Rockford, acquire a 3rd line center and when he proves he's 100% ready for the NHL we'll find a way to fit him.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:37 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Is Bowman serious?

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:48 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
People take this center issue way overboard. Especially since we've haven't even seen how the team plays together and what players stand out in training camp etc. I guess there must always be something to worry and complain about.

I for one would be happy with Sharp centering the 2nd and Mayers as the 4th center, a position he himself called natural. If Krüger impresses in training camp, then by all means place him on some line, otherwise send him to RFD. If it's obvious things aren't working with the current center setup, then either sign someone cheap (not much out there, something many seem to ignore when crying about why Bowman didn't get a 2nd line center) or make a trade.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote