HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Skate of the Union

Old
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
updated goal song??

can someone elaborate?
Goal song was the same, but Tim McGraw did a new video in the gold jersey for the song...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
updated goal song??

can someone elaborate?
It's the same idea with him in a gold jersey....

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:48 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Some pics I took from the unveiling:

I didn't take any pics of the jerseys as they came out on live humans, but that's mainly because they were throwing freebies (hats) into the crowd...and I was too busy trying to get one (without success). I do think the jerseys look OK in person, though...especially in natural light. Hard to say how they'll look on the ice. It's definitely a strikingly different look, though.

Coolest moment of the night: during the crowd questioning, a fan identified himself as an Atlanta resident and former Thrasher fan (he said he was a free agent fan)...so after Trotz joked around about the virtues of picking the Preds over the Hurricanes, Gnash came down with a new yellow Reebok Preds cap for him. I think he'll stick with Smashville.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:13 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Next to the jerseys the thing I most want to see is the improvements to the building.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:22 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakroomCrusader View Post
Next to the jerseys the thing I most want to see is the improvements to the building.
That was a bit of a tease, there. I'm very interested in what they might do...

For those of you who weren't there, they said that the "backdoor would become the front door"...it has to do with the new convention center in the back. They said that ticket booths, additional food places, and fan relations stuff could be expanded to the back side of the building.

All in all, I like the general direction the ownership & management want to take this team. They are a very ambitious group...and it's pretty obvious that they don't want to just "dream big"...they are a group that follows through.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:24 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Thanks for the pictures nashvols, looked like a great time.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
That was a bit of a tease, there. I'm very interested in what they might do...

For those of you who weren't there, they said that the "backdoor would become the front door"...it has to do with the new convention center in the back. They said that ticket booths, additional food places, and fan relations stuff could be expanded to the back side of the building.

All in all, I like the general direction the ownership & management want to take this team. They are a very ambitious group...and it's pretty obvious that they don't want to just "dream big"...they are a group that follows through.
Oooo I wasn't there, so I didn't hear that, just was following through Twitter. Did they say anything more on what was going up in the 300 level where the player banners are now?

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:42 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Nice pics. Wish I would've went.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:31 AM
irisheyes555

Video

http://www.tennessean.com/videonetwo...il-new-jerseys

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:42 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Thanks for the pictures nashvols, looked like a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Nice pics. Wish I would've went.
Thanks. It was a pretty good time. There was a pretty decent crowd there, so it made the event more enjoyable. I think you can tell there is definitely some carryover from last season's success. The fanbase is charged...management needs to take advantage of it.

Also, at the jersey unveiling, they had a number of local "dignitaries," such as Mayor Dean, who spoke. While some of it is just making an appearance for the purpose of politics, it's really nice to see city leaders publicly throw their support behind the team.

Oh, and if you like those pictures, check out my other Nashville area pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61853060@N07/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakroomCrusader View Post
Oooo I wasn't there, so I didn't hear that, just was following through Twitter. Did they say anything more on what was going up in the 300 level where the player banners are now?
They were intentionally vague. The did mention (in two separate question/answers) that this was a Preds initiative (team money - capital campaign) rather than a city funded project. They weren't very specific other than mentioning "the back door becoming the front door" and that there could be some future changes to that [south] end of the arena. Hopefully, if any changes take place to the interior chamber, there is a modest seat increase (17,5 or 17,7 would be nice)....but that's my speculation...no mention of that from the management.

It was, however, related to what is going on with the Music City Center.

On a side note, I imagine in a decade, there will be a new group of entertainment/eating opportunities in SoBro, making Bridgestone Arena the center of the Nashville entertainment scene, rather than on the end of it. The Preds have been a key part of our downtown's beautiful revitalization effort.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:25 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I heard a rumbling that they (management) also mentioned that they think Brett Wilson will be an investor by the end of summer? Did they say this? If so, then that is huge/great news for the team. Deeper pockets. Been waiting on this news for awhile since the Boots fiasco. We might even be able to spend near the cap ( and yes I know that doesn't mean success).

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:26 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I was secretly hoping that a Shea Weber contract announcement was coming but not really believing it would happen. But Poile did said they were progressing.

I caught a hat!

When I was going home I saw the Skate of the Union banner being rolled down Commerce street. They said the Jersey banner would be up for a while.

I think there was a lot more people there this year than last year.

Fox added 5 more games to their schedule this year.

Some asked about bringing Milwaukee back for a game and the response from the crowd was so loud that Jeff Cogan said he would have to look at that now, he never thought about it before.

I didn't know Geoffrion or Suter were going to be there. I was going to get in line but after seeing it was half around the arena, I wasn't about to stand in that line.

They were playing all the videos from the year and they played the "Run This Town" video. That still gets me pumped, they should have never stopped using it!

Mayor Dean is in Bettman's ear about getting the All-Star game when the convention center is done. Pretty much telling him, we're getting it in the next 2 years. I don't know what Bettman said, but the Mayor wants it anyway.

Same story about Radulov. Could come back in 2012-2013.

Poile definitely went into the "giving our young players the chance to step up and carry the team" speech. Halischuk, Kostitsyn, Hornqvist, Spaling, Wilson, Geoffrion all early 20's. And we'll have a whole year of Fisher, the best top d pair, one of the best goalie duos. He still said we would have a higher payroll than last year.

Trotz said that Bouillon was progressing well. They see no reason he shouldn't be ready for camp. Craig Smith is pretty committed to going back to Wisconsin for another year. Poile said they were trying to tell him he had a shot to make the team out of camp but think he's still going to go back to school. Trotz said that Eckholm could make the team out of camp.

Bettman gave teams a model for realignment but wants teams to study it and give their individual input. He is going to study this for a full year to see what teams want and how they each will be effected by any change. Our group hasn't really even looked at anything right now.

They don't know when single game tickets will go on sale. There is disagreement in the front office about how they go on sale. One choice, put all on sale at once. The other, put only a few months on sale at a time. Oct/Nov in August. Add in December in September. Add January in October, etc.

-----
Someone asked about Brett Wilson's status with the team. And they said it was inching to completion. And he could be a part owner by the end of summer or early fall.

They will be looking for more investors (I don't think that's the exact word that was used) in the fall to invest about $25 million into the team and if they get that done, the team will pretty much be here forever.

Anyone else that was paying more attention can elaborate on those 2 things.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:18 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I heard a rumbling that they (management) also mentioned that they think Brett Wilson will be an investor by the end of summer? Did they say this? If so, then that is huge/great news for the team. Deeper pockets. Been waiting on this news for awhile since the Boots fiasco. We might even be able to spend near the cap ( and yes I know that doesn't mean success).
They did say this. Of course, this is going off of their word only, but they sounded pretty confident that this was going to happen.

And yes, this could only be a good thing IMO. It not only means deeper pockets, but fewer questions about the team's financial status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I was secretly hoping that a Shea Weber contract announcement was coming but not really believing it would happen. But Poile did said they were progressing.

I caught a hat!

When I was going home I saw the Skate of the Union banner being rolled down Commerce street. They said the Jersey banner would be up for a while.

I think there was a lot more people there this year than last year.

Fox added 5 more games to their schedule this year.

Some asked about bringing Milwaukee back for a game and the response from the crowd was so loud that Jeff Cogan said he would have to look at that now, he never thought about it before.

I didn't know Geoffrion or Suter were going to be there. I was going to get in line but after seeing it was half around the arena, I wasn't about to stand in that line.

They were playing all the videos from the year and they played the "Run This Town" video. That still gets me pumped, they should have never stopped using it!

Mayor Dean is in Bettman's ear about getting the All-Star game when the convention center is done. Pretty much telling him, we're getting it in the next 2 years. I don't know what Bettman said, but the Mayor wants it anyway.

Same story about Radulov. Could come back in 2012-2013.

Poile definitely went into the "giving our young players the chance to step up and carry the team" speech. Halischuk, Kostitsyn, Hornqvist, Spaling, Wilson, Geoffrion all early 20's. And we'll have a whole year of Fisher, the best top d pair, one of the best goalie duos. He still said we would have a higher payroll than last year.

Trotz said that Bouillon was progressing well. They see no reason he shouldn't be ready for camp. Craig Smith is pretty committed to going back to Wisconsin for another year. Poile said they were trying to tell him he had a shot to make the team out of camp but think he's still going to go back to school. Trotz said that Eckholm could make the team out of camp.

Bettman gave teams a model for realignment but wants teams to study it and give their individual input. He is going to study this for a full year to see what teams want and how they each will be effected by any change. Our group hasn't really even looked at anything right now.

They don't know when single game tickets will go on sale. There is disagreement in the front office about how they go on sale. One choice, put all on sale at once. The other, put only a few months on sale at a time. Oct/Nov in August. Add in December in September. Add January in October, etc.

-----
Someone asked about Brett Wilson's status with the team. And they said it was inching to completion. And he could be a part owner by the end of summer or early fall.

They will be looking for more investors (I don't think that's the exact word that was used) in the fall to invest about $25 million into the team and if they get that done, the team will pretty much be here forever.

Anyone else that was paying more attention can elaborate on those 2 things.
-I, too, was hoping a Weber announcement would be part of it...but I wasn't going to hold my breath. The event in itself is pretty exciting. It would kind of spoil us if there was some sort of big player news each time they held the SOTU. Even though the new jersey was already leaked, I think it was more than fine that the event centered around that.

-Congrats on the hat! I was hoping for one...but I was on the right hand side, where fewer hats were thrown...plus I was a little out of range.

-While I feel for the people in the offices where the view is obscured, I think it's a great thing for Preds marketing that they have "marked their territory" on the tallest, and most prominent building in the state. I think it says a lot to the casual Nashville sports fan that the Preds ARE a big deal. I think the more that it gets in the minds of these casual fans, the more it will become "cool" or the norm to go to Preds games...not just a secret handshake to those who happen to be donning a Preds hat in a bar or walking down the street.

-The rest of your rundown is great...I couldn't remember all the points. Either you have a great memory or you took notes. Either way, good job.

-In regards to Radulov, I don't know what has been said exactly between him and Poile, but I still remain skeptical. I will believe it when I see it. I don't think any of us should be counting on his return. If he does, great...but again, not getting my hopes up.

-I would also like to add that Trotz (when the question was asked about acquiring a Top 6 forward) wasn't specific, but hinted that the team might be looking to make a move later in the summer. To paraphrase, he said that some teams have oversigned, and could be looking at dumping right before the season...and if that was the case, then the Preds would be in a great position to make a deal.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:21 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Opening night can't get here fast enough!

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:50 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Great recap! Thanks!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I forgot to mention that Poile called Spailing a "top 6 winger", to which the crowd reacted with general disgust (I did at least)

Old
07-14-2011, 08:18 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I forgot to mention that Poile called Spailing a "top 6 winger", to which the crowd reacted with general disgust (I did at least)
seriously? hahaha.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
seriously? hahaha.
I did a gigantic double facepalm. I couldn't believe he actually meant that.........

Old
07-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Skate of the Union Video

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:27 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Nice, thanks!!

Old
07-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Atlanta thrasher "free agent" asked his question around 8:30 of the third video. I highly recommend our refugees watch that.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:07 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
To be fair to Poile he said Spaling has a chance to be a top 6 forward, not that he was one now. Whether you agree with that is another question.

Also, highly recommend the Preds on the Glass full video that Dave is a killer posted.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:24 AM
pekkaslap

I get the vibe that Poile is banking on Radulov coming back next year. Not necessarily putting all the eggs in that basket because he knows how volatile that situation can be, but I get the sense he really thinks he'll be back. He seemed fairly confident about it. He might just be biding his time this year, hoping the young guys reach their potential, keep the core together, then really make a go at it next year. He kept talking about a "window of opportunity", but I have no idea, just speculation on my part.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
pekkaslap

If he does come back, I don't expect to see him at the SotU though, lol. People on this board have ill will, but will just be glad to have his offense. The average fan is just going to think "hey that's that danggone ruskie who left us high and dry a few years ago, git im!". haha

Old
07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Awesome! Just got home from work, gonna fix myself a drink, sit down and watch all the footage. Thanks!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote