HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Lorne Chabot Hall of famer?

View Poll Results: should chabot be in the hockey hall of fame
yes 12 60.00%
no 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
I can't sound too biased when I say any goalie played 10 seasons in the NHL without a ******* mask should be enshrined.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
ok let see the stats of the other starting goalies during chabots time

i expecT this to be donE after i come back from watchinG brad richards sign with the leafs

Brad Richards could push TO up to a top 20 placing instead of 22nd I guess.

Although at least 2 of the teams that finished 23-30 will place better in the standings than TO next year IMO.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Canadiens1958

Lorne Chabot

The Lorne Chabot for the HHOF argument has been around for at least 30 years.

The basic problem with the position is that it comes down to the simple fact that Lorne Chabot only has HHOF credentials if we look at the weaknesses in the portfolios of honoured members.Chabots strengths on their own are not sufficient.Two SC wins. One Vezina, One first AST are feats accomplished by a few Non HHOF caliber goalies.

Basically the pro Chabot faction builds on the following circumstances.

1959-60 NHL season, the six NHL goalies who played a majority of their team's regular season games are in the HHOF. So six starting goalies from a specific season have been admitted.How this qualifies Chabot remains a mystery.

Glenn Hall comparables. Both had losing playoff records, and both were viewed as the reason why their teams NYR and Tor for Chabot, Detroit and Chicago for Hall did not win more SCs. Factor in that Chabot played on two SC winners in a shorter career while Hall played on one. This overlooks Halls honours and awards including the Smythe plus the 502 game streak. Accomplishments that Chabot does not have.

Other comparables. Juggle a few of the weaknesses shown by HHOF goalies like Worsely, Giacomin, Cheevers and Chabot looks interesting but then you look at the strengths and Chabot does not measure up.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
lazy!

Leaf Lander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Hainsworth won Vezinas by having the lowest team GAA (he had the lowest personal GAA in two of those years) - but he was not a factor in Hart voting, and even more telling was that in two of those years it was defensive defensemen on Montreal that got the hart votes (Gardiner, Mantha)

Worters was the guy getting all the hart votes, and based on limited info it appears the NHL GMs were voting him the league's best goalie in the pre-official AST seasons.

So I disagree that hainsworth would have been on "the top of anyone's list".
Don't take "top" so literally, and we should be good! At the top, with top meaning the top few spots, not necessarily #1 only.

Since Worters was the only goalie getting Hart votes at the time, we can't know who was considered second best. My point is, Hainsworth was well ahead of Chabot in contemporary esteem.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:06 AM
chabotsky

I voted yes...absolutely.The Hall was kind enough to borrow all our family's equipment to show in the hall including the blocker(gauntlet glove)that my Grampa invented as well as the puck from the longest overtime game(He unfortunately lost that game but won the second longest)his G.A.A. for the playoffs stands at 1.54 for his career(lowest in NHL history of any goalie playing at least 10 seasons)He was also the goaltender that was hit in the face by Nels Stewart's blast,which necessitated the NY Rangers coach Lester Patrick donning my Grampa's blood stained equipment to play game two of the 1928 Stanley Cup final.I see somebody already posted the link to my petition to have Lorne Chabot enshrined to the HHoF...thank you so much!..You can also read my upcoming book about how he has been overlooked and blacklisted from the Hall(You will find out what he did to enrage Conn Smythe on 3 separate occasions)

Excellent topic by the way and truly some wonderful comments both for and against my Grandfather's worthiness to be included in the hall..I really enjoyed reading them all.

Donny Chabot

Last edited by chabotsky: 07-14-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: removed repeat wording
chabotsky is offline   Reply With Quote