HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011/2012 Hershey Lineups/Pairings

Old
07-13-2011, 03:58 PM
tmljeh19

vCash: 500
2011/2012 Hershey Lineups/Pairings

What are you projected lines and D pairings for this upcoming year. With those who might not make the NHL like Eakin and Sjorgren where do you see them penciled in at Hershey?

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:35 PM
sk84fun_dc

Seems so early to be doing this...still unknown what other moves will be made, etc. And I will probably miss someone, as well...not intentional. * indicates an AHL contract.

Plenty of battles as to who makes the Caps roster, where people slot in the AHL, who gets traded before or during camp...does anyone get claimed on waivers, etc. Some will end up in ECHL...and then there's the question of someone like King or Beagle as some think they could find their way off the NHL roster...

G
Holtby
Sabourin

Grubauer (ECHL to start)

D
P McNeill Orlov
Wellar* Collins
Richmond Miskovic
plus Flemming and Baier*
Other D: Stevenson, Brouillette*, Oreskovic*

F
Bourque Aucoin Mink*
Greentree Perreault Potulny
Kane* Eakin/Sjogren Ford/Bouchard
Lacroix* Hanson Kugryshev
de Kastrozza* Carroll* GMitchell
Paquette

Note: All of this is speculation and typed quickly, can easily flip Mink and Potulny; wasn't really thinking very much about the D pairings, etc.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:42 PM
sk84fun_dc

Typing up the Hershey roster per the question, sure looks like something has to give unless there's someone injured who they know won't be ready to start the season. Obviously, some guys will be in the ECHL, but it's hard to find roster spots for players one would expect to dress at the AHL level.

Also, the extra AHL vet signed as of now. I wonder if someone has asked for a trade although not sure who that would be given most just signed. NO, I know nothing, this is simply speculation and the most obvious would have been Greentree, but that doesn't do anything regarding the vets anyway since he's in a different category so maybe not.

Hershey has started a season at least once before with an extra vet on the roster and had times during a season with an extra vet, but tough group to decide between for a coaching staff, etc.

Vets: Aucoin, Bourque, Mink, Potulny, Richmond
Tweener: Greentree

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Dirtbag59

Eakin and Sjogren!?!?! Try Eakin or Sjogren, lol.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
tmljeh19

Where do u think Hanson fits in?

Old
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Eakin and Sjogren!?!?! Try Eakin or Sjogren, lol.
I dont expect both to go down. I meant where do the line up IF either or one go down.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
EroCaps

I bet Sjogren makes the team and Eakin is first call-up if a wing goes down. Perreault first call-up if a top 3 C goes down.

They didn't sign the Swede for nothing.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
I dont expect both to go down. I meant where do the line up IF either or one go down.
Lol, no I know what you meant. I was just getting all righteous on you. Personally I would expect either to run away with the first or second line Center spot. Only reason I hesitate is Mathieu's possible presence in Hershey.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Lol, no I know what you meant. I was just getting all righteous on you. Personally I would expect either to run away with the first or second line Center spot. Only reason I hesitate is Mathieu's possible presence in Hershey.
Keith Aucoin, Dirtbag59. Dirtbag59, Keith Aucoin.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:32 PM
DrPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Seems so early to be doing this...still unknown what other moves will be made, etc. And I will probably miss someone, as well...not intentional. * indicates an AHL contract.

Plenty of battles as to who makes the Caps roster, where people slot in the AHL, who gets traded before or during camp...does anyone get claimed on waivers, etc. Some will end up in ECHL...and then there's the question of someone like King or Beagle as some think they could find their way off the NHL roster...

G
Holtby
Sabourin

Grubauer (ECHL to start)

D
P McNeill Orlov
Wellar* Collins
Richmond Miskovic
plus Flemming and Baier*
Other D: Stevenson, Brouillette*, Oreskovic*

F
Bourque Aucoin Mink*
Greentree Perreault Potulny
Kane* Eakin/Sjogren Ford/Bouchard
Lacroix* Hanson Kugryshev
de Kastrozza* Carroll* GMitchell
Paquette

Note: All of this is speculation and typed quickly, can easily flip Mink and Potulny; wasn't really thinking very much about the D pairings, etc.
Am I wrong to say this might be one of the best Hershey lineups ever? Bourque dominated the AHL the last time he played in it. Aucoin dominated last year. Potulny dominated in the playoffs last year and has produced to a little in the NHL at least. Ford scored 25 g last year. Perreault has produced a little at the NHL level. Then you have Mink, Kane, and Greentree as more vets. Eakin or Sjogren as quality rookies. It just seems like a lot of offense for an AHL team. Too bad Hershey is in Pennsylvania and full of cheap bluehairs otherwise it'd be paradise with the chocolate and hockey.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:39 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
Am I wrong to say this might be one of the best Hershey lineups ever? Bourque dominated the AHL the last time he played in it. Aucoin dominated last year. Potulny dominated in the playoffs last year and has produced to a little in the NHL at least. Ford scored 25 g last year. Perreault has produced a little at the NHL level. Then you have Mink, Kane, and Greentree as more vets. Eakin or Sjogren as quality rookies. It just seems like a lot of offense for an AHL team. Too bad Hershey is in Pennsylvania and full of cheap bluehairs otherwise it'd be paradise with the chocolate and hockey.
Woah keep the PA hate out of here I live a half hour from Hershey. Ive really gotten into the Caps in the last year (since football ended and the lockout BS). I am uber pumped to see a lot of games this year. You guys think they are gonna be stacked this year?

Old
07-13-2011, 07:58 PM
tmljeh19

So I have a general question about Hershey and the players there. I have never really followed minor league hockey. Aside from Eakin, possibly Sjorgren (if he goes there), Orlov and Holtby. Are there any players who have NHL futures? It seems like the answer to that is no for me, unless I just dont know much about the players. Is that common for most AHL teams to have very few NHL future talents on the team?

Old
07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Keith Aucoin, Dirtbag59. Dirtbag59, Keith Aucoin.
Dude thats so not fair to the rest of the AHL. No one wants to see 14-0 games night in and night out. Once in a while fine but it's going to be pretty boring for us beating up on these children of the poor night after night.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Brave Sir Robin

This may be a stupid question from a newbie, but why hasn't Perreault cracked the Caps lineup yet? He's put up much better numbers than Beagle. Is it because of his size?

When he was called up he mostly centered the 2nd line. It's as if he's either good enough to play 2C, or not good enough for the NHL at all. Why not play him as 4C or something like that. Our 4th line of Hendricks, Gordon and Bradley combined for a grand total of 0 pts in the playoffs, Perreault could have played done any worse.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
This may be a stupid question from a newbie, but why hasn't Perreault cracked the Caps lineup yet? He's put up much better numbers than Beagle. Is it because of his size?

When he was called up he mostly centered the 2nd line. It's as if he's either good enough to play 2C, or not good enough for the NHL at all. Why not play him as 4C or something like that. Our 4th line of Hendricks, Gordon and Bradley combined for a grand total of 0 pts in the playoffs, Perreault could have played done any worse.
Size matters Basically streaky play and I think part of it might be they don't like him enough defensively to put up with the scoring droughts.

By the way 4th line is a different animal. Virtually every team reserves the 4th line for grinders and sandpaper guys with that usually lack skill hence the name "checking line." Basically all the unskilled guys that like to run around and hit are paired with an unskilled faceoff ace (Guys like Gordo and Steckle). It's usually relied on to win defensive zone faceoffs, rack up hits, and play sound defensive hockey.

Right now Chimera, Halpern, Sjogren, Hendricks, Beagle, Ward, Brouwer, and even Laich are all candidates to get assigned to the teams checking line at some point in time. As it stands right now though the most frequent combination will likely be Chimera-Halpern-Hendricks.

So hypothetically Perault could play on every forward line except the fourth line since he doesn't have a checking line skillset.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 07-14-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Size matters Basically streaky play and I think part of it might be they don't like him enough defensively to put up with the scoring droughts.

By the way 4th line is a different animal. Virtually every team reserves the 4th line for big, strong, grit guys with that usually lack skill hence the name "checking line." Basically all the unskilled guys that like to run around and hit are paired with an unskilled faceoff ace. Right now Chimera, Halpern, Sjogren, Hendricks, Beagle, Ward, Brouwer, and even Laich are all candidates to get assigned to the teams checking line.

So hypothetically Perault could play on every forward line except the fourth line.
I know about grinders, but the fact is that we had one of the worst 4th lines in hockey.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
I know about grinders, but the fact is that we had one of the worst 4th lines in hockey.
I don't doubt it (you knowing about grinders). The thing is Perrault is a finese playmaker and his skillset doesn't match what you look for in a 4th line player. As I alluded to before the 4th line is almost always assembled with defense in mind. If you can get scoring great, but it's secondary to defense and grit. I would be more worried about scoring from the third line before I concerned myself with how many points the fourth line was putting up.

For him it's basically third line or bust to be a regular. He has to be among the 9 best skilled forwards. Not the 12 best forwards.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 07-14-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 08:13 AM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Dude thats so not fair to the rest of the AHL. No one wants to see 14-0 games night in and night out. Once in a while fine but it's going to be pretty boring for us beating up on these children of the poor night after night.
I am pretty sure that he was introducing you to eachother.

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
By the way 4th line is a different animal. Virtually every team reserves the 4th line for grinders and sandpaper guys with that usually lack skill hence the name "checking line." Basically all the unskilled guys that like to run around and hit are paired with an unskilled faceoff ace (Guys like Gordo and Steckle). It's usually relied on to win defensive zone faceoffs, rack up hits, and play sound defensive hockey.

Right now Chimera, Halpern, Sjogren, Hendricks, Beagle, Ward, Brouwer, and even Laich are all candidates to get assigned to the teams checking line at some point in time. As it stands right now though the most frequent combination will likely be Chimera-Halpern-Hendricks.

So hypothetically Perault could play on every forward line except the fourth line since he doesn't have a checking line skillset.
Look, I get that you're probably the youngest member here, but you talking down to people and trying to "educate" them is pretty amusing. Generally, checking lines are teams' third lines. Fourth lines are typically "energy lines" more than anything else. They are expected to be defensively sound, yes, but that's usually because they aren't going to score many goals and therefore need not to allow many so they aren't a liability. The Capitals have almost never had a checking line under Boudreau. I hope they will this year, but I'm not that optimistic. Also, Laich and his $4.5M will not be on the fourth line at any point, and Ward and Brouwer very likely will not either.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
LetsGoBears

Paper wise, that is a pretty impressive line up. Completely re-tooled team from the past two or three years, so this should be an interesting year.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Langway
Intangibles

VogsCaps: #Caps have signed forward Jacob Micflikier to a one-year deal. He put up 29-32-61 in 78 games with AHL Charlotte in '10-11.

LW, non-vet. First NHL contract at 27, he was the highest-scoring AHL contract player last season.

jwaltonhockey: Bears announce the signing of goaltender Daren Machesney to an AHL contract for 2011-12 in addition to the news on Micflikier today.

Cheese.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Interesting goalie depth they'll have there.

Holtby
Sabourin
Cheese
Grubauer

I wonder if they want to send Grubauer back for an overage season? I thought the plan was originally to have him turn pro this year though. What's SC's goalie situation look like (outside of potentially Grubauer/Cheese), anyone know offhand?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
LetsGoBears

I thought DiMichell was in there somewhere too? My hopes are Greentree is on the way out. Nice but nothing great. MicFlicker would be a nice upgrade there.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
I am pretty sure that he was introducing you to eachother.
I know. I might be stupid but I'm not that stupid, lol. It was well thought out and deliberate, okay maybe "well thought" is a stretch but it was deliberate.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:18 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

They're really loaded now. Between Bourque, Greentree, and MicFlikier, you've got three 1st line caliber LWs. Gotta think one of those guys will need to move to the #2RW slot. Potulny is rock solid, but he isn't as productive as those guys + Mink.

Maybe as a top-9:

Bourque Aucoin Mink
Greentree Perreault MicFlikier
Kane Eakin Bouchard

It's sort of crazy to think that a guy like Eakin or Sjogren will either be a #3C on the Caps, or the #3C on the Bears. With that roster, there's almost no in between.

Last edited by CapsWolverinesUSA: 07-15-2011 at 11:53 AM.
CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote