HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan White inks one-year (1-way deal)

Old
07-13-2011, 07:04 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
The Rhyno is back! Good kid. Good deal. Happy for him.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I guess this settles the White vs Pyatt debate

(yes, there were those who actually sided with Pyatt)
Let's see in a couple of years. Right now, sure, White fills a Habs need, doesn't mean that Pyatt can't fill someone else's need.

Time will tell. A lot can happen in one year. After the 2010 playoffs when Pyatt chipped in a bit with points and was 8th in scoring among forwards and playing 12-14 minutes, everyone praised HIS one-way contract. Several months later, frustrated with the team's low scoring, fans and eventually even the coach found his shutdown abilities less important.

As a Habs fan, I'm pulling for White to have a great season and not to fall out of favour with the team.

As a proponent of good defence, I would like to see Pyatt have a solid NHL career too.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 07-24-2011 at 01:20 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:09 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I hope he turns out to be a ''real deal'' bottom six player. Like, a home grown Neal type. When is the last time we developed and kept a bottom six player for a while?

Serious question... I can't think of one. Lapierre got close but thats it.

Garth Murray, Stewart, Chipchura... They all busted out and got shipped out. It would be great if White stayed here for a while.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:26 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Another great contract by Gauthier. The man has really been on fire since the season ended.
I don't see how it's a "great contract". It's pretty much what was expected, so it's definitely satisfactionary.

I think I wrote a post a week or so ago saying that 625 000 was the absolute maximum I'd be willing to pay Ryan White right now. Oddly enough I must not be the only one who feels that way.

*edit*: Correction, I had said 650 000$.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:51 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I hope he turns out to be a ''real deal'' bottom six player. Like, a home grown Neal type. When is the last time we developed and kept a bottom six player for a while?

Serious question... I can't think of one. Lapierre got close but thats it.
Lapierre was and is a perfect bottom 6 player. Management figured he wouldn't fit with the roster. He's a favorite player of mine but I don't blame PG/JM for that, it's just how it is.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

White is good asset to have because he is a gritty physical player that can also fight, but than can play hockey and he is still developing and with the effort he give each game Martin will always use him at some point. Plus he seem to get better on faceoff, he got 52,2 % in the playoff while the others centre (not named Halpern) have been destroy.
thanks for reminding me why i love white so much

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Mr. Hab

Glad Gauthier signed White, but this should not have been an issue...he has been a warrior for us (always stood up for his teammates the way Laraque should have done it but didn't want to, and White can play hockey).

IMO:
<White should have been signed a long time ago, glad it was finally done.

<Gorges should be signed to a 3-4 year contract...what the heck is taking so long? (he's a solid #3-4-5 dman who gives it his all, all heart).

<O'Brien? Wasn't he signed for 1 mil or less? I would have done that...adds so much toughness for our #5-6-7 position...anyways he's with Colorado now. Still...very glad Gauthier signed Erik Cole .

Markov - Emelin
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Spacek? OR Weber?
O'Brien (too bad he's with Colorado now and not us, oh well!)
Mara (we need more toughness)
Diaz

Management has to pretend that Markov will get injured (reverse psychology?)...we need more D depth (another top 4 dman). Or, else we might lose another 2nd Round pick in trying to replace Markov... For now I'll just hope we sign Gorges, 'cause if we don't, well...I'm gonna lose it!!

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
well put...

i'd be very interested to hear the conversation btw PG and JM about White and his projected role for the team going into this year.

I hope the "vote of confidence" is shared by the coach, and that he gives him a little more of an opportunity to play a bit more consistently... in the ~10-13min/game range as opposed to the 8-9min he was getting this past season.

White strikes me as a player who could develop into a Claude Lemieux clone... not skilled/consistent enough to be a top-6 fixture, but a perfect mix of skill/intensity to play a strong bottom-6 role and the type of guy who elevates his game when the pressure is on... his production, as a pro (granted at the AHL level) reflects that, as does his "in-your-face" style in the NHL.

definitely think/hope he's a guy that will exceed most people's expectations.
Maybe I'll hope White becomes our Steve Downie but classier (not as dirty as Downie) with some Mike Keane.

Huge fan of White...

p.s.: C.Lemieux may be one of the best playoff performers in CH history (clutch goal scorer). But who knows? If White were given a shot at 2nd line duty one day and a speedy center and winger he would do the rest (fearlessly go into corners, crash the net, score huge dirty goals that come from hard work,etc).

Old
07-14-2011, 09:11 AM
King peZ
Where's my Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Maybe I'll hope White becomes our Steve Downie but classier (not as dirty as Downie) with some Mike Keane.

Huge fan of White...

p.s.: C.Lemieux may be one of the best playoff performers in CH history (clutch goal scorer). But who knows? If White were given a shot at 2nd line duty one day and a speedy center and winger he would do the rest (fearlessly go into corners, crash the net, score huge dirty goals that come from hard work,etc).
I really hope White never gets 2nd line duties :S

Keep him in the Bottom 6 and hopefully he's a good clutch one.

King peZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:55 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

Huge fan of White...

Claude Lemieux had a great shot. One of the best on the team. He was also a better skater than White and bigger. He was also an idiot during the regular season but was a great playoff performer.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Claude Lemieux had a great shot. One of the best on the team. He was also a better skater than White and bigger. He was also an idiot during the regular season but was a great playoff performer.
Sounds like Lappy to me.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Spider-Man NL

Send a message via Yahoo to Spider-Man NL
White won me over when he kicked Johnny Boychuk's a$$.....it will be good to see Ryan back in Montreal this season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvu0NkuK8I

Spider-Man NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Not much bigger.

White and Lemieux shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath. Claude Lemieux is VERY underrated.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

White is good asset to have because he is a gritty physical player that can also fight, but than can play hockey and he is still developing and with the effort he give each game Martin will always use him at some point. Plus he seem to get better on faceoff, he got 52,2 % in the playoff while the others centre (not named Halpern) have been destroy.
Damn, that second video gets my heart going even to this day. That was one of those special moments last year.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

I wasn't comparing White to C.Lemieux...

White is White: tough, all-heart solid 4th liner with UPside of solid 3rd liner.

I'm hoping White becomes a cross of Mike Keane and our own Steve Downie (but classier than Downie).

White is an old-school player (like the good 'ol fashioned Habs in the 70's and 80's...not that I remember everything!).

Old
07-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Marksman

I would be happy to see him becoming pest that contributes little offence like Arron Asham.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:10 PM
sbtatter

A big plus for all parties involved here is that Ryan LOVES Montreal, the city, the people, the fans, the atmosphere, he just loves it down East. The guys heart is in the right place that's for sure.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:17 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Damn, that second video gets my heart going even to this day. That was one of those special moments last year.

It did a lot of good (NOT!), allowing Montreal fans to briefly feel an immoral victory as White jumped on Boychuk who did NOT cheap shot Subban, only for the fans to realize later later that the fighting and cheapshot game is not zero-sum. Pacioretty was knocked out for the season later that same game.

Nothing about that game can be a special moment for me, at least not in a good sense.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:39 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Glad Gauthier signed White, but this should not have been an issue...he has been a warrior for us (always stood up for his teammates the way Laraque should have done it but didn't want to, and White can play hockey).

IMO:
<White should have been signed a long time ago, glad it was finally done.

<Gorges should be signed to a 3-4 year contract...what the heck is taking so long? (he's a solid #3-4-5 dman who gives it his all, all heart).

<O'Brien? Wasn't he signed for 1 mil or less? I would have done that...adds so much toughness for our #5-6-7 position...anyways he's with Colorado now. Still...very glad Gauthier signed Erik Cole .

Markov - Emelin
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Spacek? OR Weber?
O'Brien (too bad he's with Colorado now and not us, oh well!)
Mara (we need more toughness)
Diaz

Management has to pretend that Markov will get injured (reverse psychology?)...we need more D depth (another top 4 dman). Or, else we might lose another 2nd Round pick in trying to replace Markov... For now I'll just hope we sign Gorges, 'cause if we don't, well...I'm gonna lose it!!
O'brien loll

what about O'byrne

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
larrypacman8167

just for his heart and hard-working bullish style he's become one of my favorite player........ ryan white for president !!

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It did a lot of good (NOT!), allowing Montreal fans to briefly feel an immoral victory as White jumped on Boychuk who did NOT cheap shot Subban, only for the fans to realize later later that the fighting and cheapshot game is not zero-sum. Pacioretty was knocked out for the season later that same game.

Nothing about that game can be a special moment for me, at least not in a good sense.
Wow.

Boychuk was going for Subban's knee.

But here is a question for you. Did Boychuk make another attempt to take out Subban's knee after White tuned him up?

That point is lost on you.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:20 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Wow.

But here is a question for you. Did Boychuk make another attempt to take out Subban's knee after White tuned him up?

Please don`t be so smug with what looks to me like a Homer analysis. I DO understand the points you and others make, I just do not AGREE with them. Something about having my own mind.

What I saw is that Boychuk went for an open ice hit on Subban, who spectacularly jumped and spun out of the way. Looking at it, there is no way to know for sure that Boychuk was planning to give himself a 5-minute major and game misconduct plus probably a suspension for going at Subban's knee in the first few minutes of the game.

Of course, when Subban hit Marchand in open ice a few months earlier, you were cheering I'm sure and defending Subban's hit as perfectly normal.

As for the supposedly "avoided" SECOND (lol) attempt on Subban's knee, are you SERIOUS in thinking that a fight narrowly lost (no real permanent damage to Boychuk) is/was more of a deterrent to dangerous behaviour than the severe penalties the league might give out?

THINK about it, dude. Pretty much no one in the league could take out Derek Boogaard. Why would his team not just ask him to go around injuring people left and right since he had nothing to fear??

Meanwhile, could you please let me know if you too feel SO GOOD about that night because favourite son Ryan White won a fight that you forget what happened 1 hour later?

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 07-24-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old
07-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Wow.

What I liked about that fight was the fact that in the last game between the two teams Boychuk attacked Spacek and was punching him while he was down in a complete coward move while trying to be a tough guy. Then he now look less like a tough guy after been beat up by a 23 years old smaller kid.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

No montage yet ? HF I am disappoint.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 05:50 PM
DAChampion

Baseball Coach,

Human beings are pack animals.

Even among CEOs, the taller make more money. Height and size commands respect.

As for Boogarde, he has a long history of delivering injuries, like Chara and Pronger. It's a skill that needs to be managed. The NHL tolerates it -- embraces it even -- as long as it is not too blatant.

Last edited by DAChampion: 07-24-2011 at 05:56 PM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote