HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger Speaks on Rehab (Part I)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2011, 02:18 PM
  #1
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Pronger Speaks on Rehab (Part I)

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home


Good interview with Pronger on his rehab, thoughts about the playoffs, and thoughts about the team moving forward.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:43 PM
  #2
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,987
vCash: 500
Yeah I caught it on Hockeybuzz

I thought it was insightful..particularly about his back obviously and Richards which he said he's still learning as a captain (on the job training) and how he was brought in to help him.

The thing that troubles me the most though is this back situation...I don't think he'll ever be at 100% given the surgery he had which involved the nerve. I suspect he'll be a 50 t0 60 game player from here on in. This is why Holmgren may need to consider some more impact help on the backend via trade etc...Timonen is no spring chicken either. Stinks that our D situation is a bit suspect now given the fact we need a goalie...


Quote:
Q: Did the doctors say you were going to be back at full strength or is this going to reduce your play at all?

“Well, like anything else, especially with the back, there’s no guarantee. That was one of the things we wanted to find out when I went and met with the doctor and what his recommendations are and what he has seen. Everybody is different and everybody recovers differently and you hope that you’re able to recover a hundred percent, but that’s never a guarantee and you never know. It’s still very early to be able to tell that. I won’t know that until probably training camp or maybe even further on, who knows.”

Quote:
Q: Coming off that, a lot of fingers were pointed at Mike Richards, I am sure you have heard some of the things that were said about him.

“I have not. I have not. I have a simple answer for you. When a team wins, players get pats on the back or get all the credit. That’s usually your captain, your goalie, all the rest of that. When you lose, whether it’s fair or unfair, the people that get criticized are your captain, and your goalie, and all the way down the line. This is a team sport and for you to be successful you need everyone around you to play well. Whether it’s Richie, Carts, myself, Kimmo [Timonen], Boosh, Bob; I mean it’s not just one guy. People can say whatever they want about Richie, but at the end of the day you have to realize it’s a team sport.

Actually I did see one, is Sam Donnellon on the call? He’s not? I saw one headline, ‘Should Mike Richards step away for a year from the C.’ What good does that do? That is the most ridiculous thought I have heard yet. This is on the job training for Mike. I was brought in to help him be a captain and do all the rest of that and kind of help with my experiences. I think I got here, he was 24, he’s now 26. I think he’s made some strides. Everybody does things their own way. I wasn’t always this vocal with the media or this patient. It takes time, you have to have those experiences.

I think when you go through tough times, maybe this is one of them for him, you learn an awful lot about yourself, you gain a lot of experience. This game and life is not easy. Nothing in life worthwhile is easy. If it was, everyone would be able to do it. You learn how to handle different situations and it only makes you better as a player and a person, because you can always look back on those tough times and [know] I was able to come through those with my head held high and better. So will Mike.

I went through them as a young captain; I went through them as a player. Getting booed, getting mouthed off walking out of the rink and wanting to fight guys after games and all the rest of it. It’s not easy, especially on a team when the expectations are this high and the fans are this passionate. The media, you guys are bickering with one another trying to get the scoops. It’s not easy. I think as his career progresses, he is going to understand more and more what the media’s job is, and just to give you guys a little, just a little bit, just a little taste. Which is what I do, just give you a little taste. You don’t have to give it all, just enough so you guys can do your job and leave him alone. That’s all experience.

I think it’s a little ridiculous to be blaming one person. We win as a team and lose as a team – period, end of story.”

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 03:48 PM
  #3
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pronger View Post
I think when you go through tough times, maybe this is one of them for him, you learn an awful lot about yourself, you gain a lot of experience. This game and life is not easy. Nothing in life worthwhile is easy. If it was, everyone would be able to do it. You learn how to handle different situations and it only makes you better as a player and a person, because you can always look back on those tough times and [know] I was able to come through those with my head held high and better. So will Mike.
That's one of the stronger quotes I've read in a while.

I <3 Pronger.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
  #4
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,987
vCash: 500
Flyers' Pronger Still Limited After Back Surgery

Still think he's going to play 50 to 60 games....the former would not be cool. The latter somewhat to be expected. If he makes a full recovery and can play 70+ I'll be surprised..

Wonder if he weighs more than Couturier right now....???

Quote:
Chris Pronger might not be ready for training camp, but, when he does return, he likes what's shaping up in Philadelphia.

Speaking on the Mike Richards morning show on TSN1050, the 36-year-old said he's behind in his rehabilitation from offseason back surgery.

"I'm still probably three, three and a half weeks away from being able to train hard. I'm still walking on the treadmill, light bike riding. The back doctor wanted 12 weeks for me not doing a whole lot to allow that back area to scar up and then fully heal up before I start torquing and pushing on it hard," said Pronger, who needed to remove a herniated disc that caused him back and leg problems.

"I would say I'm quite a bit behind where I would be training-wise and working out-wise. Whether I'm at camp or not, I don't know that yet, it's still early to tell. I would guess I would not be starting camp just from the mere fact that I haven't been able to work out at all yet. I'm skinny to begin with, and now I'm looking really skinny."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371660

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:54 PM
  #5
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
he can sit out the whole freaking season for all i care, just stay in shape and be ready for the playoffs mother****er.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:01 PM
  #6
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,987
vCash: 500
Pic released of Pronger


FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
  #7
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
GOD DAMN can we get pronger to be our next coach or GM when (god forbid) he does eventually retire???

man is one of the smartest (and motivating) players to come through the league.

and he REALLY gels with "Flyers Hockey"

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:03 AM
  #8
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
He's going to be fine. For all the people saying he's going to be a 50-60 game player........please......... This is Chris freaking Pronger!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:14 AM
  #9
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He's going to be fine. For all the people saying he's going to be a 50-60 game player........please......... This is Chris freaking Pronger!
Clearly you've never had slipped discs in your back...

It doesn't matter who he is or how hard he works to recover from it, herniated discs are very unpredictable, and depending on how long it went untreated and a variety of other factors, he could have permanent nerve damage, or nerve damage that will take a year to heal. His back will also be extremely stiff after any kind of athletic movements and he will have days where he wakes up in pain w/ no reason why.

Trust me, coming from someone who had what's considered a "minor" herniated disc injury, 60 games is a distinct possibility for Chris this year.

Btw, I used the same surgeon as Chris... sick brag, I know

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:18 AM
  #10
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Clearly you've never had slipped discs in your back...

It doesn't matter who he is or how hard he works to recover from it, herniated discs are very unpredictable, and depending on how long it went untreated and a variety of other factors, he could have permanent nerve damage, or nerve damage that will take a year to heal. His back will also be extremely stiff after any kind of athletic movements and he will have days where he wakes up in pain w/ no reason why.

Trust me, coming from someone who had what's considered a "minor" herniated disc injury, 60 games is a distinct possibility for Chris this year.

Btw, I used the same surgeon as Chris... sick brag, I know
well lets try to be optimistic, but certainly its a scary situation.

Im not too worried for him in the playoffs though, we just need him to clear out the slot, sit on the point (hopefully this doesnt effect his shot), be a good leader int he locker room (HUGE in playoffs), and play that smart hockey he always plays

but its like pronger said, "who knows"

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:31 AM
  #11
SilkyMitts
Registered User
 
SilkyMitts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
he can sit out the whole freaking season for all i care, just stay in shape and be ready for the playoffs mother****er.
x2

i would be fine with that.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:41 AM
  #12
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
His back will also be extremely stiff after any kind of athletic movements and he will have days where he wakes up in pain w/ no reason why.
Screw pain, this is hockey.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:54 AM
  #13
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
well lets try to be optimistic, but certainly its a scary situation.

Im not too worried for him in the playoffs though, we just need him to clear out the slot, sit on the point (hopefully this doesnt effect his shot), be a good leader int he locker room (HUGE in playoffs), and play that smart hockey he always plays

but its like pronger said, "who knows"
Back issues will definitely affect one's slap shot...just sayin'.

If his back doesn't heal properly and effects from this crop up frequently, it's a distinct possibility that Pronger could be nowhere near the player he was two years ago.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:03 AM
  #14
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Clearly you've never had slipped discs in your back...

It doesn't matter who he is or how hard he works to recover from it, herniated discs are very unpredictable, and depending on how long it went untreated and a variety of other factors, he could have permanent nerve damage, or nerve damage that will take a year to heal. His back will also be extremely stiff after any kind of athletic movements and he will have days where he wakes up in pain w/ no reason why.

Trust me, coming from someone who had what's considered a "minor" herniated disc injury, 60 games is a distinct possibility for Chris this year.

Btw, I used the same surgeon as Chris... sick brag, I know
He had surgery to correct it, so he doesn't have a herniated disc anymore. If he had nerve damage, the doctors would already know about it.

Snotbubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
  #15
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He's going to be fine. For all the people saying he's going to be a 50-60 game player........please......... This is Chris freaking Pronger!
This is silly.....and downplaying it is going to look silly. Hell if he plays 60 games people should be thankful. That was an intrusive surgery (shaved the nerve etc) he had and he's behind in his rehab. Sure he can recover but no way will he be 100%. I said he'll be like Howe..in and out of the lineup due to stiffness etc. Obviously medical science has come a long way since Howe was operated on but backs are tricky. Thinking he is going to be a 70 to 80 game player again just because of his surname is bordering on flat earthism....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:39 PM
  #16
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
He had surgery to correct it, so he doesn't have a herniated disc anymore. If he had nerve damage, the doctors would already know about it.
Coming from someone who's dealt with this, I can tell you that you're so off base with this, it's not even funny.

When you have a herniated disc, they remove part of the disc. You're still subject to re-injury of the disc, and your disc/back will never be the same again. That disc used to support part of your weight, now it's broken... it can't provide the same type of shock absorption. You NEVER fully heal from a herniated disc, especially if you get the surgery because then part of the disc is removed... it can't heal.

As far as the nerve goes, you can have slow-healing damage to your nerves that doesn't show up on MRIs. I had this myself, it took physical therapy 5x a week and a full year to get back to my normal level of strength and flexibility. And after any kind of workout / athletic competition, your back stiffens up and hurts like you wouldn't believe. Good luck trying to play 4 nights of hockey per week.

Btw, just so you know, Leighton had a herniated disc last year, and if you look @ his performance in 2009-2010 compared to 2010-2011, you can see it might have had an effect. I can't say for sure because 2009-2010 was obviously a career year, but it very well might've impacted him.

I'm hoping Pronger will be fine, but going through it myself, I can't be as blindly confident/cocky as some on here about it.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:56 PM
  #17
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
I read this one today, felt like it belonged in this thread:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

a few quotes:

Quote:
"I'm still walking on the treadmill, light bike riding. The back doctor wanted 12 weeks for me not doing a whole lot to allow that back area to scar up and then fully heal up before I start torqueing and pushing on it hard."
Quote:
"I would say I'm quite a bit behind where I would be training-wise and working out-wise," Pronger said. "Whether I'm at camp or not, I don't know that yet, it's still early to tell. I would guess I would not be starting camp just from the mere fact that I haven't been able to work out at all yet. I'm skinny to begin with, and now I'm looking really skinny."

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:59 AM
  #18
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
This is silly.....and downplaying it is going to look silly. Hell if he plays 60 games people should be thankful. That was an intrusive surgery (shaved the nerve etc) he had and he's behind in his rehab. Sure he can recover but no way will he be 100%. I said he'll be like Howe..in and out of the lineup due to stiffness etc. Obviously medical science has come a long way since Howe was operated on but backs are tricky. Thinking he is going to be a 70 to 80 game player again just because of his surname is bordering on flat earthism....
Wow
So you actually ARE a doctor?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:04 PM
  #19
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Wow
So you actually ARE a doctor?
No but you obviously lack common sense

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.