HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mackinnon to play in Halifax next year

Old
07-11-2011, 05:58 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Halifax will lose again in the playoffs against Gatineau. It's a given.
and MacKinnon will be a healthy scratch and will eat hot dog in the press box at the Bob like Marchand in 2008

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:41 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Only that your name is MacKinnon, nothing more. By the way, Toshiro sounds Japanese. Is that your mother's maiden name? Just curious.
Pure Scottish bloodlines here. Toshiro chosen as a joke made by a poster on another board comparing my reckless posting style to Toshiro Mifune. You may have noticed some of the posts are not well thought out lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felkov View Post
Why would he only play for Halifax? He missed out on an opportunity to pick up the french language.

Last edited by Mike8: 07-12-2011 at 05:10 AM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We are cellar dwellers because of Brad Marchand. We paid a lot for that piece of **** and he gave us not a lick of passion. The worst mistake in the history of the Mooseheads, bar none.
Poor mangement has also slowed the rebuild, they have done a pretty poor job of drafting and surrounding young players with quality veterans.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Poor mangement has also slowed the rebuild, they have done a pretty poor job of drafting and surrounding young players with quality veterans.
I think that's lumping a bit too much blame on management, although they certainly could have done better. In the years following the division title, they have gambled on more European players than they have in the past, and while some have panned out, others ended up going undrafted into the NHL and ended up leaving for pro leagues back home as soon as they could instead of playing out the entirety of their QMJHL eligibility and sniffing around for NHL tryouts (I think Stransky qualifies here, as might Knotek). Little management can do about that kind of thing, except stop taking risks on Europeans at all, and I'm sure you're not THAT kind of guy.

Are there really that many bad trades/moves that stick out for you? There are a couple that made me wonder what was going on. Would have liked to have kept Clarke around, but his new nickname is tradebait anyway, lol. I might have kept Desmarais as well. Replacing Cheremetiev with Wiggington didn't exactly work out, but that's a minor "deal". Drafting Brent Andrews (15th overall) instead of Huberdeau (went 18th) looks pretty bad in hindsight, but two other teams made the same mistake after them. I think Ciampini is going to turn out to be a decent 2nd overall pick. Hope he plays with Frk, but if Gelinas is still here, he'll have "seniority" I'm sure. I'm also expecting Ryan to have a decent year, and he was picked in the 2nd round of the same year. I don't quite know what to make of this year's draft, but I know there was interest from other leagues in Drouin, so that's at least a positive sign. Don't know if I would have gone with Furcale instead of Michaud when picking a goalie, but Furcale at least outplayed his backup more than other draftees like Belanger and Cadorette, and I look at that kind of thing if I can't get a look at the players myself.

I dunno, what would you highlight as particularly damaging by management during the "rebuild"?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Golden55

I feel bad for Baie-Comeau. It sucks for them that for a second year in a row, they can't have the player they really want even though they have the first pick overall (Matheson & MacKinnon). The new management there is making a good job by getting the Drakkar back on track but they have to deal with this kind of problems every year... so they can't rebuild the way a team like the Quebec Remparts are doing right now, by adding some of the best prospects in the world to their roster without paying that much in terms of assets (Grigorenko, Sorensen, Erne, Duclair, etc.) It's far from being fair.

The gap between the small markets and the big ones is getting bigger and bigger every year, and someday, the QMJHL is going to hit a wall, if it still goes that way.

Golden55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:24 AM
ClasslessGuy

“It was nothing against Baie-Comeau,” MacKinnon said. “It was a decision to either go to college or the Q and the trade happened."

Hahahaha

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
“It was nothing against Baie-Comeau,” MacKinnon said. “It was a decision to either go to college or the Q and the trade happened."

Hahahaha
lolz... He has not taken his media orientation course yet I am assuming.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Very good deal for the Mooseheads. With the trade with the Ramparts, they got MacKinnon for Turbide, Gelinas, a first and a second (only one first because they received two from Quebec and a second because they used that pick in the last draft to get Erne)

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Don't watch much of the Q but does this put Halifax over the top and are they the team to beat?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Don't watch much of the Q but does this put Halifax over the top and are they the team to beat?
Nope, they should improve though, but their core is 16 and 17 so they are at least a year from contending.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Not really , Victo, St-john, Shawi

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:49 AM
VanNistelrooy

I'm sad for Baie Comeau. Two years in a row they have the first pick and this years in a row they are obligated to trade it because the players doesn't want to report there.

VanNistelrooy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Nope, they should improve though, but their core is 16 and 17 so they are at least a year from contending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Not really , Victo, St-john, Shawi
Thanks. I know about Shawinigan since they are hosting the Memorial Cup and I'm sure they will build a solid team and acquire more players, excited for Bournival, hope he does well and even makes Team Canada at the Juniors

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:40 AM
ROSSter

Great news for Halifax. Hopefully this is the start of a new Halifax Mooseheads. Maybe we can get the city behind them again, like when Tanguay, Giguerre and Shelley used to play. City could really use a winning team. Go Moose.

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Saint-John is still the team to beat imo even if they loose Huberdeau. Shawi has a lot of work to do. Love Victo and they won't be far behind Saint-John

But Halifax and Quebec might be the most interesting team to watch with all the young talent on both team. A lots of 2012 & 2013 draft eligible kid on both team

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:33 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
St. John is still the team to beat this year. I think Halifax has a realistic shot of 2nd in the Maritime division though. The biggest thing going for Halifax this season will be having a skill based top 6. Frk, Ciampini, Ashley, and Grenier should all have big seasons, add in Drouin and MacKinnon whom are high skill guys and we could have an explosive offense that the Metro Center hasn't seen since the Voracek era.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:06 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
St. John is still the team to beat this year. I think Halifax has a realistic shot of 2nd in the Maritime division though. The biggest thing going for Halifax this season will be having a skill based top 6. Frk, Ciampini, Ashley, and Grenier should all have big seasons, add in Drouin and MacKinnon whom are high skill guys and we could have an explosive offense that the Metro Center hasn't seen since the Voracek era.
Oh yeah, I'm watching some games this year. More then I have the last few years. I watched a lot during Voracek's seasons with the team. You can actually see me in the highlight video of him they play on the megatron.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:14 PM
angry pirate

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm watching some games this year. More then I have the last few years. I watched a lot during Voracek's seasons with the team. You can actually see me in the highlight video of him they play on the megatron.
I've been a season ticket holder since 05/06 and I can say with near certainty that I've probably only been to 20 games over the past 2 seasons. They've been boring to watch for 3 periods, rink's close to empty, but I think this may be the "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak. Lots of exciting top prospects who could break into the 1st round of the draft (Ciampini, Frk, Drouin, Mackinnon), Other propects who's stock we could see rising (Ashley, Ryan), A true power forward type in Grenier who could score 40 goals as an overager this season, and a new coaching staff that has moved up through the ranks instead of starting right from the Q!

I have a feeling I'll be a regular at the Metro Center once again.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Saint John, look out! Second year in a row, I'm predicting a non-Quebecois team will win. Should be a great season though.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
hellojp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Halifax will lose again in the playoffs against Gatineau. It's a given.
Um... The Heard has to make the playoffs. It's been tough in Halifax for Q fans the past few years.. :S

(Like that he'll play here).

hellojp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
But Halifax and Quebec might be the most interesting team to watch with all the young talent on both team. A lots of 2012 & 2013 draft eligible kid on both team
Indeed.

I can't wait to go watch a Halifax/Quebec matchup. It will be exciting.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
BINYON
Rookie User

Quote:
We are cellar dwellers because of Brad Marchand. We paid a lot for that piece of **** and he gave us not a lick of passion. The worst mistake in the history of the Mooseheads, bar none.

Too true

BINYON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:48 PM
ScopeHockey

My last year on the Q the Mooseheads had a sick team. Benedict McRae Bell Vrana Cyr Guenette Bernier Jurcina Picard Sharrow etc. That was really their chance and they came one game away from making it to the Mem Cup, only to lose to Max Talbot's Olympiques in Game 7 of the Finals. Hopefully the Mooseheads can get back to being a contender although I'm still a Wildcats fans at heart.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Halifaxhab*

that trade for ****** b a g Marchand set the team back a few years.

But Scoring the 1st and 2nd overall picks this year and the majority of the top 6 under 17yo. Goaltending will greatly improve as well, defence got a major upgrade and added Austyn Hardie to the blueline.

Team will make the playoffs this year (like everyone else) near the middle of the pack. Next season we'll see this team step up huge.

Cam did an amazing job this last season. I think the biggest addition will be Lewiston's former captain Critchlow. He'll stabalize that room and light a fire under the rears of all the players. He is a well respected player and leader. He'll get this team's head into winning right away.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote