HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would your final moves be?

Old
07-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Would've taken O'Brien at $1.1M. Alas.

Wellwood... maybe I'm too conditioned by his reputation, and maybe he has changed his game somewhat... but I think he's basically the last kind of bottom-6 player we'd want. Small, soft, not too quick, and if he has any reputation on faceoffs, it can't be with very impressive opposition or in very tough situations?
The though of O'Brien and Wellwood on this team is making me nauseous. One is a has-been tough defender who's a #7 defensmens on a awful team scared of his own shadow and the other is lazy out of shape no role player.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:35 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta
AK - Plekanec - Kovalev
Pacioretty - DD - Cole

Can someone imagine 3 lines like that That would be so hot.
Actually this would be the WORST thing you could possible do!

Take our #1 center and put him with two head cases that show up for one game in every five or six!

Is Martin or Gauthier going to take walk with Kovalev in the park? Maybe BOTH Kostitsyn and Kovalev will need some time away from the game DURING the season?

Seriously what is wrong with you people who want Kovy back... Just look at how often he actually gives a crap on the ice? The same with Kostitsyn... Neither can be counted off, especially in the playoffs!

Last edited by nyhabsfan: 07-13-2011 at 10:10 PM.
nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:06 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
The though of O'Brien and Wellwood on this team is making me nauseous. One is a has-been tough defender who's a #7 defensmens on a awful team scared of his own shadow and the other is lazy out of shape no role player.

Nashville was the 3rd best team in GA last year AND O'Brien was the no5 D of their team....

Last edited by Mike8: 07-14-2011 at 01:10 AM.
EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:40 PM
MistaWa16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
That's what I want.

Let Weber/Emelin earn their spot, pushing Spacek outta the line-up.
x3,this is our best bet for the start of the season imo

edit: had trouble with my quoting...this is the lineup i was talking about

Originally Posted by otto bond
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kosititsyn - Eller - Palushaj
Moen -DD - White
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek- Yemelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

btw the third line is just missing shultz and we d have our blues connectoin!

MistaWa16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:11 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWa16 View Post
x3,this is our best bet for the start of the season imo

edit: had trouble with my quoting...this is the lineup i was talking about

Originally Posted by otto bond
Kosititsyn - Eller - Palushaj
Moen -DD - White
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek- Yemelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

btw the third line is just missing shultz and we d have our blues connectoin!
I'm still holding hope for Shultz. Big, can fight and has a nose for the net, potential PWF???We will see.

If I could replace Spacek I would but not at the price of youth. Same goes for Gomez, next year, one will be off the books, the other with increased value (that contract) so play them and hope they have better season.

There is Michael Blunden who can't fight that good but is willing, there grit but I hope there's a better role for him...can he find his jr scoring touch?Doubt it...

White better come prepared. Can he find that role on the 4th?should be but you never know.
Palushaj, has the speed, hands and hockey awareness but lack strength in his uper body IMO but it's his spot to lose on the 3rd. He's got competition in Avstin and perhaps Darche.
IF PG is not gonna move, it's about time to try all that depth. It's gonna be a good camp.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:06 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Top four d-man for when the inevitable happens.
not sure we have any 2nd round picks left before 2036-2037 ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Throwing this out there...

Kyle Wellwood as our 4th line center? As offensive flair, speed, good on faceoffs and has NHL experience.

Between Moen and White? Could round the lines capabilities well, no?
Why would you want to round out the 4th line?

With the three other lines as they are, we need to have 4th line with some edge.

Moen, White and Blunden/Darche will make a good 4th unit.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Would've taken O'Brien at $1.1M. Alas.
Eminger is still out there.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:42 AM
WestIslander

I sometimes believe that all Gauthier will do now is sign a 4th line veteran centre (a la Halpern, Metropolit, Smolinski) and start the season with:

Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
White - UFA - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Yemelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

UFA = John Madden, Brian Sutherby, Ryan Shannon or Jamie Lundmark

I WANT MADDEN!!!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:12 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
not sure we have any 2nd round picks left before 2036-2037 ...
LOL

The more I think about Wiz walking the more I question the complete non-interest on PG's part. I know what Wiz signed for but it doesn't necessarily mean he would have had the same deal in Montreal.

The defense as it stands looks to be one injury away from a disaster. IMO teams will focus more on Subban this year and if Gill is his partner that could be pretty easy. Subban didn't get the attention because of his "newness".

Markov's partner is still a question mark and Markov himself needs to get back into shape. Ditto for Gorges who may end up being Markov's partner.

I just don't think letting two top four d-man walk with little effort in signing them was the smartest move but we'll see I guess. And the talent pool to even add depth lessens everyday too.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I sometimes believe that all Gauthier will do now is sign a 4th line veteran centre (a la Halpern, Metropolit, Smolinski) and start the season with:
Possibly...but by offering Hamrlik a contract he obviously identified adding another veteran d-man as being a need...would seem strange to me that he wouldn't add another one.

I'd still sign Hannan and one of Drury/Madden to one year deals each. We have the cap space and these guys WILL come in handy during the season.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:28 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
LOL

The more I think about Wiz walking the more I question the complete non-interest on PG's part. I know what Wiz signed for but it doesn't necessarily mean he would have had the same deal in Montreal.

The defense as it stands looks to be one injury away from a disaster. IMO teams will focus more on Subban this year and if Gill is his partner that could be pretty easy. Subban didn't get the attention because of his "newness".

Markov's partner is still a question mark and Markov himself needs to get back into shape. Ditto for Gorges who may end up being Markov's partner.

I just don't think letting two top four d-man walk with little effort in signing them was the smartest move but we'll see I guess. And the talent pool to even add depth lessens everyday too.
We only have 4 million in cap space left. If we get another D, it will be a bottom pairing fill-in like Paul Mara.

The point about the draft picks is correct, but we have limited options. We had tons of injuries last year. Right now:
Markov-Gorges
Gill-Suban
Spacek-Emelin

Weber, Diaz, Carle and possibly Nash are the backup plan. If injuries happen early in the season there will be players available like when we signed MAB two seasons back. There's also players like Jay Leech who go on the waiver wire.

We don't have the cap space to sign a top-4dman. Aside from the measly 4 million left this year, we need room next year for the salary upgrades to Subban, Eller and Price. There was no going after Kaberle or Wizniewski or even Alzner this year.

BTW Subban will have an easier time this year. Since Markov is back, Subban will be facing lesser competition.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:30 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Possibly...but by offering Hamrlik a contract he obviously identified adding another veteran d-man as being a need...would seem strange to me that he wouldn't add another one.

I'd still sign Hannan and one of Drury/Madden to one year deals each. We have the cap space and these guys WILL come in handy during the season.
He was willing to give Hamrlik a 1-year deal, but not a 2-year deal.

In terms of the dmen willing to take 1 -year deals, of whom Hamrlik was not one, there's not much available and was not much available that is as good or better than Weber, Diaz, and Carle.

Old
07-14-2011, 08:39 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
LOL

Wisniewski has been on 4 teams in the last 2 and a half years, he obviously wanted a long-term deal to get some stability for once and it made no sense for us to sign him long-term when we have guys like Markov and Subban on the PP and guys like Weber and Diaz who could be seeing regular PP time as early as this year. Its not like he was going to sign here for $4 million or something.

Hamrlik was offered a deal but he rejected because he wanted two years how is that giving little effort to sign him?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Eminger is still out there.
Meh. I would take Sopel or Mara over him in the role of depth pylon. I don't know if O'Brien is actually much better than Alex Henry, but still, even if he's mostly pylonesque too he has the toughness rep and a few better seasons in his past.

Anyway, we do still need a D... pylon or not. Not sure if there is anything but pylons left, though. Stralman on the Alexandre Picard deal is my fallback gamble. It wouldn't be Eminger. Maybe Campoli or Sekera will get cut loose after arbitration, but I'm not a fan of them either.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Wisniewski has been on 4 teams in the last 2 and a half years, he obviously wanted a long-term deal to get some stability for once and it made no sense for us to sign him long-term when we have guys like Markov and Subban on the PP and guys like Weber and Diaz who could be seeing regular PP time as early as this year. Its not like he was going to sign here for $4 million or something.

Hamrlik was offered a deal but he rejected because he wanted two years how is that giving little effort to sign him?
It was offered in the closing days leading up to the start of free agency but it doesn't matter anyway. My main point is that Gauthier left two top four d-men walk while making a bottom pairing d-man a priority. So now if one of Markov or Subban get injured who is going to compensate for that offensive production? Hal Gill? Can Yannick Weber play enough minutes against top competition and still compensate offensively? Weber's best games as a d-man came with Hamrlik by his side.

I understand Wiz may have cost too much but the fact that Gauthier never even negotiated with the guy makes me wonder. It's obvious Columbus wanted to fill a void and they paid the price. Does that necessarily mean Montreal would have paid the same? And then Gauthier offers a one year deal to Hamrlik at the last moment. I do call that little effort in making a 3rd top four d-man a priority to support Markov and Subban.

So as it stands Gauthier will have to settle for another depth d-man. So my question remains - if one of Markov or Subban go down who is going to pick up the offense? If one of those two are injured then Gill becomes a bigger albatross than he already is at even strength.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
So as it stands Gauthier will have to settle for another depth d-man. So my question remains - if one of Markov or Subban go down who is going to pick up the offense? If one of those two are injured then Gill becomes a bigger albatross than he already is at even strength.
If one of them gets injured we will likely have only a single offensive d-pairing.

What did you want Gauthier to do? Undermine our ability to retain Subban, Price and Eller next year by signing Wizniewski to a 4-year, 20 million dollar contract?

Personally, I think it might have been better to let Gill go, and sign Hamrlik to an inflated 1-year contract that he would accept (i.e., 5.5 million dollars). Next year Diaz, Weber, etc will be ready. However, they obviously liked Gill's intangibles.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

They think Weber is ready this year. They think Emelin can be part of our defense this year. They scouted these guys. They know better than anyone what they're able to do.

And they must think Markov is good to go. They decided to go with the guy. They're not going to start saying "but what if he gets injured?" Why would they do that? If they signed him, it's because they felt his past two injuries had no consequences on his career. The season hasn't started yet and you guys are already trying to find a replacement for him, as if he was going to get injured for sure. Last year, PG found a replacement after Markov went down. If he has to, he'll find another solution. But only if it's necessary.

Whether PG made the right moves or not, only time will tell. But I'm glad he chose Markov over Wiz, and there was no way they would have clustered up next year's cap--as it's been mentioned many times--with another big contract. The cap space will be needed.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If one of them gets injured we will likely have only a single offensive d-pairing.

What did you want Gauthier to do? Undermine our ability to retain Subban, Price and Eller next year by signing Wizniewski to a 4-year, 20 million dollar contract?

Personally, I think it might have been better to let Gill go, and sign Hamrlik to an inflated 1-year contract that he would accept (i.e., 5.5 million dollars). Next year Diaz, Weber, etc will be ready. However, they obviously liked Gill's intangibles.
Sign another legitimate top 4 d-man with some offensive upside. It didn't have to be Wiz or Hamrlik but with the little effort to negotiate with either of those players implies to me that Gauthier is going to be reactive instead of proactive. Maybe he's counting on Spacek to make a comeback. I dunno.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:01 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Meh. I would take Sopel or Mara over him in the role of depth pylon. I don't know if O'Brien is actually much better than Alex Henry, but still, even if he's mostly pylonesque too he has the toughness rep and a few better seasons in his past.

Anyway, we do still need a D... pylon or not. Not sure if there is anything but pylons left, though. Stralman on the Alexandre Picard deal is my fallback gamble. It wouldn't be Eminger. Maybe Campoli or Sekera will get cut loose after arbitration, but I'm not a fan of them either.
That's what happens when you are left with the lower hanging fruit. I agree retaining Mara as a depth pylon is totally the way to go. Perfect fit.

But our needs on defense are more than depth pylon. We will be in an awful position for the next 2 years before any of the prospects can really jump in. And heaven for sake let's not even mention an injury in our top 4.

Eminger with triple digits in hits and blocked shots has much more value than depth pylon.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Marksman

Quote:

I would be surprised to see Campoli of Sekera becoming loose. Besides think we have enough puck moving type defencemen with as it is. In my mind our d corps could use physical dman you refer as pylon, who also is natural on the right side.

Sopel would be good for one year basis and more likely choise, but personally I'd like to have someone younger on 2-3 year contract to get some stability, when we propably have Gill and Spacek gone after next season.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
DrunkenKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
White - UFA - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Yemelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

UFA = John Madden, Brian Sutherby, Ryan Shannon or Jamie Lundmark

I WANT MADDEN!!!

Totally agree. I can see PG going after some 4th line depth, and Madden would be perfect. Maybe sign the Beard as defensive depth for cheap, but otherwise, I think we have our team for the year!

DrunkenKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Sign another legitimate top 4 d-man with some offensive upside. It didn't have to be Wiz or Hamrlik but with the little effort to negotiate with either of those players implies to me that Gauthier is going to be reactive instead of proactive. Maybe he's counting on Spacek to make a comeback. I dunno.
There was not many possibilities for us. Obviously, it wasn't in the plans to sign a defenceman at a high salary...Gauthier don't want to have his hands tied in for next year's off-season and it's probably a good thing. Our two franchise player will have to be re-sign. Price will get a huge raise, and Subban will also ask for a lot of money.

Anyways, all teams are in pretty much the same situation as far as injuries goes. Chances of seeing Subban and Markov injured at the same time are slim...just like seing Chara and Seindeberg, or Kronwall and Lidstrom, or Pronger and Carle injured at the same time and for a long period of time.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Habblues

Kovalev The Bruin Killer

I`ve read many post regarding Alex Kovalev since he left town. But what many people do not remember is that he scored some big goals for us at important times of the games, and he made our Power Play a real threat to score every time. Alex always scored against the Bruins (playoffs) and was the leading goal scorer last time he faced them. He might have been the difference for us this year against the Bruins had we signed him......I think he`s worth signing for 1 year. And lets face it, he loves Montreal and the the city loves him.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Marksman

Yeah, you cant prepare for everything, best you can do is to have deep team.