HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Support for the Islanders!? Vote Yes!

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2011, 01:58 AM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
other than the cup in 1994 the elation of that franchise moving would be my second best Hockey event of my lifetime.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Giacomin

Unfortunately I live in Suffolk County so I can,t vote. I grew up watching the Rangers before the Islanders were in existence and remember how great the rivalry was in the 70,s to the 90,s. I know many young fans think our greatest rival is the Devils or maybe Flyers but as a diehard fan for over 40 years there is no doubt it is the Islanders and it looks like they are building a nice young team. I think it would be great if they stayed especially if they became competitive again.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:46 AM
nyrleetch

I'd vote yes if I could. To fans wanting them relocated I think it's dumb. Think of any team having to move it would suck.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:43 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quite honestly I'm torn between this dilemma;

On one hand I have a visceral hatred for the Islanders because I grew up on Long Island until I was 12 and being a Rangers fan in the late 1980s even when the Islanders stunk and the Rangers had Leetch, Granato, Turcotte, etc. coming up was hard; those guys gave it to me as an 8 year old and talked so much smack and honestly, got in my face. They'd celebrate every Rangers loss like it was more important than an Islanders victory especially during those two playoff losses to the Capitols and the 92 series against the Penguins.

On the other hand, a huge part of New York sports and a a major rivalry will be lost. There's been some WWF stuff over the years whether it was Islanders fans crashing Greschner's wedding, Theo Fleury's chicken dance, the LaFontaine ambulance thing, or the goofiest; the two Santa Clauses who ripped off their outfits to have Rangers jerseys on at the Coliseum and got chased by all the other Santas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hypdmF1leFc

In the end; I'm going to have to agree with what Spock said in Star Trek VI that the universe will unfold as it should and whatever happens, happens.

Just remember two things;

1. That team is going to get good any year now. They have assembled some good talent over there.

2. Be careful what you wish for and that goes for Gilbert, Graves, Boyle, etc....there are no more obnoxious and insulting fans when there team is good in sports than the Islanders.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:49 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Don't want them to move, but I aint paying for it....

Old
07-14-2011, 06:59 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Reading this stuff reminds alot of the fiasco in PHX that just ended with Hulsizer...its way over my head but when public money/tax revenue gets involved as part of the funding things get dicey. I would never wish anyone to lose their team (its happened to me and it blows) but like someone said...whatever happens, happens. Everyone just needs to keep in mind (especially Islander fans) that there is a negative side to every deal and as much as you may want to keep your team both sides have to be weighed equally and the simple fact that you are a fan, go to games, spend money, and all that other stuff shouldn't be the overriding fact.

When on this board its easy to make the on-ice product the focus of everything but there is a great big world out there where the on-ice product is a very small fraction of a percent when it comes to a deal like this. Like I said, i don't wish anyone to lose their beloved team but just be smart and objective when looking at everything...whatever happens...happens.

Old
07-14-2011, 07:19 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Nassau County employee here for almost 23 years. Been screwed over by Tom Suozzi, Peter Schmidt, and now Mangano as well as their respective "Vote the party line on anything and everything" minions to def be voting NO.

They should try paying their employees for services rendered.
Mangano has layed people off and reneged on contracts while saying "we will not raise taxes 1 penny. As soon as he got his concessions he runs to the taxpayer asking for a a 58$ increase.

A 9% increase in property taxes would have avoided layoffs and give the County the ability to pay it's employees what took almost 7 years to negotiate AND was mutually agreed upon. This was all after County employees gave back hundreds of millions in "real money" to avoid layoffs and help the taxpayer during these difficult times the year before.

Hockey and minor league baseball doesn't mean dick when you have to pay a mortgage and feed your families...

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 07-14-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 07:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'm obviously no longer a resident of Nassau County, but if I were, I'd definitely vote yes.

I'd hate to see the economic impact of the deal falling apart and the Islanders moving. That's a lot of lost jobs and revenue itself.

It's just pain.
Old
07-14-2011, 07:32 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

As a Rangers fan for 25 years, but someone who missed out on the heyday of the rivalry, my hatred is mostly concentrated on the Devils. That said, I HATE the Islanders...just because I feel it's the right thing to do! But I want you guys to stay, cause I want to know what it's like to hate you even MORE. I want your team to get good again and make the playoffs, so we can play you...and beat you!!

So, what I'm trying to say here is (even though I live in Jersey and can't vote)...YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT!!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 07-14-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 07:34 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I'm obviously no longer a resident of Nassau County, but if I were, I'd definitely vote yes.

I'd hate to see the economic impact of the deal falling apart and the Islanders moving. That's a lot of lost jobs and revenue itself.
You mean the same County executive that is facing lawsuits for handing out contracts to out of state contractors like they were candy? Good to see that money being earned here then spent back in Tennessee..

NIFA is here to put a stop to that.

Old
07-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1950
I would definitely vote yes if I lived in Nassau. From what I hear, it seems like people are expecting this to pass?

07-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So fund it your-*******-selves. Pay some seat licences for the stadium and cover what the taxes would have to cover.

I mean, you'd actually need fans to do that. But it's a way to cut out the tax payers who shouldn't be involved in the first place.
We are the initial investment for the project as the money will be raised through bonds and not through taxes. If you don't want to put your money into a new building you simply don't invest in the bond. The bonds are obviously backed by Nassau County but your taxes will not go up in the beginning. They will only go up if for some reason Wang is unable to pay back the bonds. And that's not very likely because Wang essentially promised to pay a minimum every year and a percentage of revenues rather than profit. So Nassau County is gonna be paid off right off the top.

Granted, having a privately funded coliseum renovated (and the land developed around there) would be much preferable. Wang desperately wanted to do this but politics-as-usual in Nassau made sure that didn't happen.

Last edited by Renbarg: 07-14-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Noreaster96

[QUOTE=Kind of Blue;35004425]More specifically, Wang's initial investment here is zero. That is one of the most disappointing aspects of the deal. He should be making at least some contribution upfront.

I hadn't seen the EIA, thanks for that. Unfortunately, I don't see anything that changes my opinion. It is also important to note that EIAs involved a host of assumptions, rely heavily on information provided by the developer, are generally understood to be biased in favor of the developer.

Having said that, I have to give some credit to Camoin for at least adjusting down some of the initial projections the Islanders provided them. The funniest one was the Islanders projected six home playoffs games per season! (Page 10)

Also, are the Islanders really planning an average ticket price around $60 to $64? What are they charging now?[/QUOTE]

I think if he would pony up an initial $100 million this thing would go through no problem, but thats probaly not going to happen... and yeah, as you said Camoin adjusted down the estimates of ticket costs, noting that $64 would be among the highest in North America

Old
07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
JanErixon20

I asked three of my friends who are Nassau residents how they would vote. Two are NYR fans, one is a NYI fan. They all said no.

If they stay....fine whatever. If they leave, I will be throwing a party at my house to send them on their way.

I also wonder how many Islander fans would vote to save the Rangers?

Old
07-14-2011, 09:10 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

if they were to move, i'd feel really bad for my father, who is a huge Isles fan. i'd vote yes if i could, but i live in Brooklyn...

Old
07-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
I asked three of my friends who are Nassau residents how they would vote. Two are NYR fans, one is a NYI fan. They all said no.

If they stay....fine whatever. If they leave, I will be throwing a party at my house to send them on their way.

I also wonder how many Islander fans would vote to save the Rangers?
I would think the vast majority would. First it would suck for anyone to lose a team. But secondly, there is a selfish issue: if the Rangers were out in Quebec City there is no more Rangers-Islanders rivalry, those are the best games to go to. You can no longer chirp your friends at school or work when the Islanders win. That would suck.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
As someone who doesn't live and have never lived on Long Island, this seems like an awful hard sell. The economy is still bad and they're asking tax payers to pay for something that will make the rich richer — with the rich owner using his team and the thread of moving as a weapon.

07-14-2011, 09:29 AM
frankthefrowner

You can have your economic reasons as to why you don't want this that's fine. But your a real short sighted dumbass if it gives you pleasure to watch them leave.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
You can have your economic reasons as to why you don't want this that's fine. But your a real short sighted dumbass if it gives you pleasure to watch them leave.
Pretty much this. The people getting pleasure for them leaving are real *******s.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

I'll enjoy them leaving, if they can also take the Mets, it would be a bonus.

I would prefer the Devils moving instead of the IHLanders though if that's any consolation.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

People wanting them to stay for "Rivary" reasons are the selfish ones here.

How about whats good for the NHL?

The Isles lose money all the time and can't even ice a competitive team despite tanking for picks for years. How about they move somewhere where people actually come out to support the team and help the NHL make money to be more successful.

Moving the team should be a no brainer. Don't be selfish and just think about the "Rivalry" we have other teams who are our rivals.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

From the standpoint of a Ranger fan and of someone who lives closer to the coliseum than MSG, I hope the team doesn't eventually move.

That being said, publicly funded stadiums are some of the biggest shams in government spending.

Studies have shown they almost always run over budget, bring in less revenue projected, and never meet the "jobs created" number that's floated around. Look at the Barclay's center for even more proof of that.

I'd love the Islanders to stay, but this is a losing proposition for Nassau County. I'm a Suffolk resident so I can't vote, but it would be a resounding no for me.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post

The Isles lose money all the time and can't even ice a competitive team despite tanking for picks for years. How about they move somewhere where people actually come out to support the team and help the NHL make money to be more successful.

Moving the team should be a no brainer. Don't be selfish and just think about the "Rivalry" we have other teams who are our rivals.
LOL, right. Moving them to Kansas City would be great for the league. The incompetent owner would still be there, so what about the product would change? The sweaters? They'd play in front of a full arena for one year, and if they sucked, attendance would plummet. Whereas if they became legitimately competitive, the attendance would remain good--though they'd draw well on Long Island if they became competitive, so there's no difference.

The problem with the Isles starts from the owner down. Unless he gets his **** together, they'll continue to struggle. There's nothing wrong with the market for hockey on Long Island though.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post

The isles Lose money because of the lease on NVMC. In the new building they would make substantially more money. To be fair to the isles they constantly try to sign big name free agents. They just flat out dont want to go their. I have no doubt the isles threw huge money at ehrhoff and he justsaid hell no, same thing with Smyth years ago.

But yea you know whats good for the NHL, friggin meat heads in this thread.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
From the standpoint of a Ranger fan and of someone who lives closer to the coliseum than MSG, I hope the team doesn't eventually move.

That being said, publicly funded stadiums are some of the biggest shams in government spending.

Studies have shown they almost always run over budget, bring in less revenue projected, and never meet the "jobs created" number that's floated around. Look at the Barclay's center for even more proof of that.

I'd love the Islanders to stay, but this is a losing proposition for Nassau County. I'm a Suffolk resident so I can't vote, but it would be a resounding no for me.
Wasn't Yankee Stadium built partially using taxpayer money too? I think Citifield was as well.

The thing is with this project going over budget Wang personally said that he would cover all overruns when it comes to the budget so it wouldn't be more than what they are asking.

Normally this would be a no vote from me(even as an Isles fan) but with Wang covering the overruns and paying back with revenue instead of profit personally it seems like it possibly could be a good deal for the county. Even better would've been them letting Wang finance the whole thing personally but because of fatass Kate Murray that didn't happen.

Closed Thread