HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Huselius injured - to miss 4-6 months

Old
07-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
This could be a major blessing in disguise. Imagine Howson signs a skilled stopgap player for a year or two, then in January Juice comes back and is 100% by the end of February. The team then has just that one more skilled guy for a stretch run and the playoffs.
Like a deadline acquisition in July...

Old
07-14-2011, 09:23 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
This could be a major blessing in disguise. Imagine Howson signs a skilled stopgap player for a year or two, then in January Juice comes back and is 100% by the end of February. The team then has just that one more skilled guy for a stretch run and the playoffs.

Then if your scenario should happen to play out, meaning one or more of the kids surprises without the weight of being forced to do this, you have a hell of a team on your hands.

Edit: For the poster asking about Prospal and if he was on Carter's line, Prospal was on the Briere line in Philly. Understand those lines weren't set and Stevens was mixing and matching as needed.

Prospal - Briere - Hartnell
Of course the flip side is that Juice doesn't fully recover, the band-aid player is constantly taken down by the fork protruding from his back and all the younger guys prove to be in waaayyy over their heads and one or all of them are inevitably scarred for their hockey lives.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I do not get why some people here are panicking. We arguably needed an insurance guy before. Now we're definitely going to get him. Even those of you who inexplicably can't stand Howson can at least recognize that he's showing initiative w/r/t new player pickups this offseason.

I'm so looking forward to all the hate that will be thrown towards the next winger we pick up. It will be SO MUCH FUN.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:54 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Of course the flip side is that Juice doesn't fully recover, the band-aid player is constantly taken down by the fork protruding from his back and all the younger guys prove to be in waaayyy over their heads and one or all of them are inevitably scarred for their hockey lives.
Well, it's the CBJ after all, so this may be seen as more likely.

I'm choosing to take a new perspective. Since things have rarely gone well for the Jackets, maybe they are due for a number of good breaks! One good break is a GM who demonstrated the desire and sense of urgency that resulted in two major deals thus far.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
We got a...

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
It's a real shame the Zherdev ship has sailed, as he's the best available free agent who fits our new needs.

Can you imagine how pissed Portzline would be if Zherdev came back? He'd be in teenage girl mode 24/7. Very entertaining.

07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
It's a real shame the Zherdev ship has sailed, as he's the best available free agent who fits our new needs.

Can you imagine how pissed Portzline would be if Zherdev came back? He'd be in teenage girl mode 24/7. Very entertaining.
Indeed you are correct. Reading Portzline imploding and having a hissy fit would be quite amusing.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:25 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I do not get why some people here are panicking. We arguably needed an insurance guy before.
Absolutely agree. I've been saying that for 2 weeks. CBJ can not be expected to compete when they are short of NHL depth. It's a long season, a physical game, and injuries will happen.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:

Just bring Mirasty in for the Express and he'll calm down.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Absolutely agree. I've been saying that for 2 weeks. CBJ can not be expected to compete when they are short of NHL depth. It's a long season, a physical game, and injuries will happen.
Oy. We're not that short of depth. If something like this had happened midseason (read: someone out for months), then we'd have had to go get somebody anyways. Most teams would.

For your commonplace "two to five games lost" snafus, tho, we have a bunch of versatile guys. I'm not that concerned.

I wanted an insurance guy in case Johansen wasn't ready, not because I was convinced we'd inevitably lose a critical top-6 forward to injury for half the season. I'm not that pessimistic.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Just bring Mirasty in for the Express and he'll calm down.
Trade for Konopka and he'll forget all about Dineen...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:42 AM
5StringBuzz

I'd be surprised if GMSH signs any of the recognized names that have been mentioned unless he can talk them down to small dollars and short term. I suspect that the reason these guys are still on the market is that those are the kinds of deals they've been pitched, and they're not interested. Unfortunately, it's now common knowledge that we're short a top-6 forward, so the CBJ just lost some bargaining power. Had a deal been made before this injury, I'm sure we'd have gotten a better deal than we can get now. I figure ownership was already sweating about the team's record salary, and now they're going to have to pay more. This is uncomfortable territory for this team's leadership.

I'm expecting an under-the-radar kind of deal. High risk from a performance/needs standpoint, low risk on salary and term.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:51 AM
JackieMoon
Howson Apologist

Quote:
I agree. In the line combos thread I see a lot of posters have Dorsett on our third line and everyone seems fine with that. I just don't get it. I really like Dorsett but he's a fourth liner. Arniel wants to roll three scoring lines. Dorsett on the third line is the polar opposite of what Arniel wants. We needed more NHL forwards before the Huselius injury. Howson has done a nice job this summer, I hope that trend continues. It sounds like he wanted another forward before the injury anyway.

I'm hoping for Prospal or Samsonov. Samsonov can set people up as well as score. Prospal is my first choice, but he's coming off a knee injury and because we haven't had success in the league we're still having to over pay free agents. I'm interested to see how this all plays out. One poster said we have to replace Huselius on the cheap. I'm not sure that's really possible at least not in the present. Once we have a winning culture I'm pretty sure we can stop over paying free agents.

JackieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:

The thng is, if Z wasn't such a clown show, he wouldn't be available anyway.

Porty is all about reconnecting to the past, why not Z?

Old
07-14-2011, 01:31 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
I hear what youre saying, but you also need guys on 2-way deals for roster flexibility. With the contracts they have, it's not like they can keep signing "NHL" types without limit. Also, have to consider that the cbj are in an awkward stage of their development. Some of the prospects aren't quite ready yet, but they will be NHL talent. You have to gut through this stage a bit, unless you want to pull a florida and buy a team all at once.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

The Caps are up against the cap. Any chance they'd part with Mike Knuble?

He's owed about $2 million so he'd be affordable for the CBJ (though that low cost for 24 goals last year may be incentive for the Caps to keep him and look to cut costs elsewhere).

Not much of a playmaker, but does a lot of other things well.
He's a guy that could easily slide lower in the lineup if/when Juice comes back too.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
The thng is, if Z wasn't such a clown show, he wouldn't be available anyway.

Porty is all about reconnecting to the past, why not Z?
I'm already looking forward to Arace's followup "slap in the face" column when we don't resign Z.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
The Caps are up against the cap. Any chance they'd part with Mike Knuble?

He's owed about $2 million so he'd be affordable for the CBJ (though that low cost for 24 goals last year may be incentive for the Caps to keep him and look to cut costs elsewhere).

Not much of a playmaker, but does a lot of other things well.
He's a guy that could easily slide lower in the lineup if/when Juice comes back too.
Honestly, I think you answered your own question with that parenthetical comment. Knuble's also a leader on that team and one of their playoff go-to guys; they wouldn't trade him for cap reasons.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Honestly, I think you answered your own question with that parenthetical comment. Knuble's also a leader on that team and one of their playoff go-to guys; they wouldn't trade him for cap reasons.
If I were their GM, that's how I'd see it. I hope they don't see it that way though.

Adding a guy like Knuble (if not Knuble himself), who can check and play some PK, could also make Pahlsson a little more expendable down the road...

Old
07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
ernmorris

Complete off the wall question. I don't even know if this is legally possible under the CBA since he is injured, but thought I would throw it out there as a discussion point.

Since Huselius is going to miss most of the season (maybe all for all we know), could we buy him out to provide additional cap assistance?

I'm neither for or against this move - just curious if it's a possibility and if it's something that should be considered...?

ernmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Lil Shake

Not sure what I'm going to miss more- the sound Ping makes when he rattles one off the crossbar OR his one hit per season

Lil Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
Complete off the wall question. I don't even know if this is legally possible under the CBA since he is injured, but thought I would throw it out there as a discussion point.

Since Huselius is going to miss most of the season (maybe all for all we know), could we buy him out to provide additional cap assistance?

I'm neither for or against this move - just curious if it's a possibility and if it's something that should be considered...?
I don't think that you can buyout a player on a long term injury. As for buying him out, it would be a bad idea because he's on the final year of his deal. As long as he's injured he doesn't count against the cap. Also, you have to think about the four years that you'd have a cap hit on him going forward. Do we really want to continue to pay for both Juice and Commodore?

Kev22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:34 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Wow..all I can say is wow..

I am a fan of the Juice man, I love the sound of ping (at least his shots are on net, not glass or netting). Actually like others have said, I really thought playing with Nash & Carter was going to rejuvinate the Juice.

Regardless, I'm looking at this from the glass half full, if we could land a decent piece, because this forced Howson into action, I really think it could be a blessing in disguise.

I can't even guess who a good fit would be, just hope Howson knows what he wants & how to get it.

What I don't like is having to find a top 6 forward when we should be securing another dman.

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 07-14-2011 at 03:36 PM.
LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Jimmys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
I'd be surprised if GMSH signs any of the recognized names that have been mentioned unless he can talk them down to small dollars and short term. I suspect that the reason these guys are still on the market is that those are the kinds of deals they've been pitched, and they're not interested. Unfortunately, it's now common knowledge that we're short a top-6 forward, so the CBJ just lost some bargaining power. Had a deal been made before this injury, I'm sure we'd have gotten a better deal than we can get now. I figure ownership was already sweating about the team's record salary, and now they're going to have to pay more. This is uncomfortable territory for this team's leadership.

I'm expecting an under-the-radar kind of deal. High risk from a performance/needs standpoint, low risk on salary and term.

I agree with you completely. I bet Howson goes for the cheap quick fix. If he does a name I have not seen here is J.P Dumont. He totally crapped his pants last year, but he's scored 20+ goals six times and will come cheap. He is also right handed, which would be ideal due to our glut of lefthanded wings and centers.

I personally would not want Dumont, would prefer Vinnie or trade, but I don't know what kind of trade we could pull off without creating another problem.

Jimmys7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I don't think that you can buyout a player on a long term injury. As for buying him out, it would be a bad idea because he's on the final year of his deal. As long as he's injured he doesn't count against the cap. Also, you have to think about the four years that you'd have a cap hit on him going forward. Do we really want to continue to pay for both Juice and Commodore?
Not that a Juice buyout is going to happen, but I think buyouts stretch over double the remaining length of the contract so Juice would get CBJ checks for two years, not four like Commodore.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I would not want Prospal for his injuries. I prefer or Samsonov or trade.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote