HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Bowman confident in his young centers

Old
07-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
What is with Bowman wanting to give Kruger a spot on roster?

He showed very little and isn't ready for NHL imo

Some time in Rockford as #1 C would do him good
You know that some posters here think different even before he played 1 NHL game?
You know that the posters that think this are the guys that saw him before, right?

Bowman wanted him on the Roster LAST YEAR.

Why isn't he ready? because he played a solid and mistakefree defensiv game as Bottom 6 guy? Because he played 1 year for a different team with a different system then came over just to help out the Hawks to not dress Brophey/Taffe.

You are right, he showed little offense but he is what he is. A good TwoWay player that will show his offense when he is used to the team, system and the other players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
In 12 NHL games(Reg+Playoffs): 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point, -2
Prorated stats(lol)
82 games, 0 goals, 7 assists, 7 points, -14

Nobody should be worried about his offense? Seriously? He showed VERY little offensive game with his time as a Blackhawks player. I honestly think Jake Dowell was about as good offensively. And there is no way I would feel comfortable with Dowell as our 3rd line center.

The kid obviously has talent, but he just wasn't there offensively. Let him refine his skills and get used to the North American rink.
yes, we shouldn't worry about his offense. He lead his team in the SEL as 20 year old - a PO Team.

You may be one of many that haven't seen him before he played in the NHL?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:13 AM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

yes, we shouldn't worry about his offense. He lead his team in the SEL as 20 year old - a PO Team.

You may be one of many that haven't seen him before he played in the NHL?
So we should go by what he did in the SEL rather than the NHL? Give me a break.

Jeff Taffe was the leading scorer in Rockford by a whopping 15 points. Almost a PPG! I guess that means that his success will translate NHL too.

Fact is, they play a different style of hockey in the SEL than the NHL. It doesn't always translate and many times it takes TIME to get used to the North American game. It takes time to get used to the rink size as well. I think he would be much better served getting used to and improving his game in the AHL rather on a team that is striving to make the playoffs and win the Cup. The Western Conference is very good and it was extremely tight last season. We were 1 point away from missing the playoffs.

I just don't see why he should start in the NHL when he hasn't shown he can be excel at the 3rd line center position, or any position for that matter. Kruger should not be the 3rd line center on a playoff team at this moment. The kid has a bright future, but I feel he is best served in the AHL.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Sarava

Th disgusting lovefest towards Kruger from HosstheBoss and Bubba has probably soured me on Kruger a good deal. It comes off a bit creepy. But it's not his fault obviously lol.

I'm fine with the Hawks giving Kruger the 3rd line center gig to start the season? Do I think he will succeed with it? No. But if he doesnt...then there's other options that can be explored.

I won't be happy if Ben Smith loses a roster spot to Kruger though. Smith showed more heart, determination, grit, character and overall clutch play than Kruger showed in his stint.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

Jeff Taffe was the leading scorer in Rockford by a whopping 15 points. Almost a PPG! I guess that means that his success will translate NHL too.

Fact is, they play a different style of hockey in the SEL than the NHL. It doesn't always translate and many times it takes TIME to get used to the North American game. It takes time to get used to the rink size as well. I think he would be much better served getting used to and improving his game in the AHL rather on a team that is striving to make the playoffs and win the Cup. The Western Conference is very good and it was extremely tight last season. We were 1 point away from missing the playoffs.

I just don't see why he should start in the NHL when he hasn't shown he can be excel at the 3rd line center position, or any position for that matter. Kruger should not be the 3rd line center on a playoff team at this moment. The kid has a bright future, but I feel he is best served in the AHL.
Krüger did fine in the NHL

Krüger did well in the POs against the Nucks, why shouldn't he play in the Bottom 6 of a PO team - which he did last year?

and why does Bowman and Q think he is ready? Why do the most guys that saw him play outside of the NHL think he is ready?
You sound disappointed that he wasn't a 0.5 PPG player during this short stint. But you should realize that Hoss and I am not. We expected this to happen

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:02 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
In 12 NHL games(Reg+Playoffs): 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point, -2
Prorated stats(lol)
82 games, 0 goals, 7 assists, 7 points, -14

Nobody should be worried about his offense? Seriously? He showed VERY little offensive game with his time as a Blackhawks player. I honestly think Jake Dowell was about as good offensively. And there is no way I would feel comfortable with Dowell as our 3rd line center.

The kid obviously has talent, but he just wasn't there offensively. Let him refine his skills and get used to the North American rink.
Extrapolating his stats from 12 games to 82?

Really.

At the age of 24, Sharp scored 0 goals and had 6 assists in his first 24 games with Chicago.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:29 AM
MrSerious

I would bet that he's looking to upgrade the center position. Just saying that he's fine with it in case he's unable to do anything to improve it. Kruger has shown nothing that would indicate he's ready to play in the NHL. I don't care what he's done in any other league. Tony Salmelainen put up good numbers in Finland, how did he do in the NHL?

MrSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:53 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Krüger did fine in the NHL

Krüger did well in the POs against the Nucks, why shouldn't he play in the Bottom 6 of a PO team - which he did last year?
Look. The Hawks were rather desperate to bring someone in last season and Kruger is definitely thought very highly of by the Hawks org. However, that does not mean he is already pencilled in. For the umteenth time, he will have to earn a starting spot during training camp and the pre-season, just like any other "prospect" and some veterans as well. Failing that he will be in the same situation in Rockford.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Recoil

Quote:

Your argument is pretty contradictory. You state that other's should compare his stats in the SEL because its different than the NHL, and you then as a reference use another example, Taffe being tops in Rockford but state it shouldn't be assumed that it would translate to the NHL either. And then, at the bottom of your post, you state Kruger would be best served in Rockford.

If your first statement about SEL/AHL not translating to NHL is true, then that is an argument to start him with the Hawks to open up the year and GIVE HIM NHL experience. Even though I'm skeptical of what he can do offensively, I do think that he may be best served setting a shot with the Hawks and seeing what he can do. If it doesn't work out, he can go back to Rockford for a bit.

But if you are right, and AHL skills doesn't translate to NHL as much as would be apparent, then having him just start in Rockford doesn't do a lot for him as a player.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:59 AM
MaximusPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMP View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-young-centers

Is Marcus Kruger really THAT good? According to Bowman, the centers will line up as follows:

Toews (10-19-88 line)
Bolland
Kruger
Mayers

Thoughts? He doesn't think there is a need for another center since we have so many forwards and he says that we will have a ton of centers in a year or 2 (prospects etc)
I think the time to win is now and a second line center would put this team over the top. I really loved the Bickle Bolland Frolik line in the po's last year. We have a very deep prospect pool and a lot can happen in two years while waiting for those prospects to develop.

MaximusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:58 AM
hawksfan50

LOOK-it appears SHARP willbe the 2nd line centre ...

BOLLAND stays as 3rd line C...

MAYERS the 4th line C...

THis looks set in stone now...

HOWEVER the Hawks have SO MANY CENTRES from the pipeline who can fill the 4th line role if necessary that if MAYERS goes down with injury there is no concern (Kruger,Ben Smith--yes at centre apparently,Flick, SHAW --if they sign him now_--there is a huge pool to draw on to fill in the middle on the 4th line.THE PROBLEM is that MAYERS cannot go upline ...IF SHARP goes down -they must either upline Bolland to line 2,or switch Frolik to centre there ..MAYBE -if he is buffed and proves he is now a lot readier--PIRRI could be called up.for line 2 and Bolland stays put on line 3..OR KRUGER goes to line 3 and Bolland to line 2..

The point is-UNTIL injuries to Sharp or Bolland -we'll be fine....An injury to Mayers-also fine...An injury to TOEWS and we are of course screwed.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Bowman: "Yeah, ya know, people forget that anyone can play center if I say they can... so ya know, we like that flexibility going forward"

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Sarava

I actually agree with Stan here. We have several things that could work, even if none of them are likely to work.

Start with trying Kruger at #3 center...if that doesn't work give Ben Smith a shot. Beyond those 2 - are either Pirri or McNeill ready? Probably not in the case of McNeill and Pirri, but you never know.

If all else fails you put Sharpy back at #2 center. I'd prefer they leave him as 1st line LW to make that line more potent, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Either way, assuming Sharp is re-signed, he probably will be able to settle back in as a LW in 2012-2013. I'm sure one of Kruger, Smith, Pirri or McNeill will be ready to take #3 center and run with it by then.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Hawkey Town 18

I like this plan. Seems like we aren't going to sign anyone other than Frolik and maybe Campoli, and in turn are going to have some cap room to pick up a player at or near the trade deadline. If Krueger doesn't work out, Sharp can fill in for the time being and then we can pick up a center at the deadline. If he does work out then we have an opportunity to add someone to help elsewhere and really strengthen our team. Seems like more upside than downside to me.

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I like this plan. Seems like we aren't going to sign anyone other than Frolik and maybe Campoli, and in turn are going to have some cap room to pick up a player at or near the trade deadline. If Krueger doesn't work out, Sharp can fill in for the time being and then we can pick up a center at the deadline. If he does work out then we have an opportunity to add someone to help elsewhere and really strengthen our team. Seems like more upside than downside to me.
I agree with this. I think our roster has enough flexibility to make any situation work.

If Kruger doesn't handle the 3rd line center role, we bring Sharp to #2/Bolly #3 and either Kruger as our #4 or let him play wing and keep Mayers as our #4.

We have enough wingers that can shift around that if Sharp is moved from LW to C, we could move Smith/Frolik/Bickell/Kruger etc. accordingly and not be too shabby from top to bottom.

I really do like the way our roster is constructed, I just hope that the question marks that surround it answer themselves quickly.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:37 AM
ndgt10

what's he going to say? "I'm not confident in our center depth but wasn't able to do anything about it."

Come on, Sharp should be on wing and Kruger should spend a year in the AHL.

3rd year as a Hawk for Hossa and he still doesn't have a legitimate center.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Opening night roster:

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Brunette-Bolland-Hossa
Bickell-Kruger-Frolik
Stalberg-Mayers-Smith
Carcillo-Olesz

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Leddy
Montador-Campoli
O'Donnell

Crawford
Salak

If Ben Smith can play center, I'd rather have him on the third line than Kruger. Our bottom-six should be this if Sharp is at left wing opening night:

Bickell-Smith-Frolik
Stalberg-Kruger-Mayers
Smith can play center. He played it at BC when they won their championships. He also played center for a bit in Rockford.

But he didn't really start to take off until he was moved to the wing. He's not a natural center.

Let Kruger show his stuff at training camp. I'm sure he's gone into this offseason knowing that he's first in line for the Rockford shuttle. Hopefully he's done something about it.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Hossa has managed 0.88 pts per game (overall career is 0.92 p/gm) without a center so far, is he REALLY that much in need of a proper center? Not saying it wouldn't add to his game, but the lack of a center hasn't really impeded him either that much.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
I just don't get it. Why give an important position like 3rd line center to an unproven player like Kruger? He left me quite unimpressed with what I saw on the Hawks. I think he will be a good, impact player in the future for the Hawks but not right now.

I couldn't see the Red Wings handing over a spot like that to a rookie. They make their players earn it in the AHL and prove they can play in the NHL before they give them a roster spot, especially a top 9 spot. I just don't see the negative in signing a 3rd/4th line center instead of starting with Kruger. If Kruger shows that he is ready to be an impact player at the NHL level then he would be brought up.
I just don't get it. Why give an important position like 3rd line center to an unproven player like Kruger? Because it is the first half the season, and that is a good time to test stuff. Because they are sitting on tons of prospects and a bag of cash to correct the situation going into the trade deadline.

Making a splash at the trade deadline makes a team better plus it gives a GM attention and job stability.

I like going into the season with a few minor ? marks. We have a veteran playoff squad mostly young guys with veterans. This is the time to give a rookie that didn't earn a spot a shot...this is the best time to do it. NOW not in the playoffs like last year.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
what's he going to say? "I'm not confident in our center depth but wasn't able to do anything about it."

Come on, Sharp should be on wing and Kruger should spend a year in the AHL.

3rd year as a Hawk for Hossa and he still doesn't have a legitimate center.
It always bothers me a bit when the "what's ____ supposed to say?" argument comes up. Q does it perfectly... never says exactly what he thinks but hints at it.

Here's a few suggestions of what Bowman could say without sounding like he's not confident:

"We're looking at all options to improve this team"

"Kruger has a bright future and we're looking forward to him contributing in the future"

"We have several players we're looking at to step up next season, take more responsibility"

"We'll have cap space at the trade deadline to address any need we have at that point"

"It's an ongoing process of examining what would be best for our team"

"Training camp will give us a clearer picture of what our situation is. I'm happy with the roster for the time being until we can assess our newcomers"

etc. etc.

None of those, IMO, would sound like he's worried about our team but definitely hints at doing something about the center position. With all of that being said, I do think he's confident in our centers so it's all a moot point.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

trade some guys from our bloated prospect pool during the season and maybe a pick to get a 2nd line Center if Kruger or the Center position isn't working out.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
Hossa has managed 0.88 pts per game (overall career is 0.92 p/gm) without a center so far, is he REALLY that much in need of a proper center? Not saying it wouldn't add to his game, but the lack of a center hasn't really impeded him either that much.
To add to this... don't forget that Bolland and Hossa had some good chemistry going until they got injured. It seems that people either want Bolland in the 3rd line center role because he's so good in it or forget that when healthy he's a good offensive player (remember when he deked Suter out of his jock last season? Or that he tied Keith/Hossa for playoff points last season despite playing in 3 less games than both? Or when he had 16 points in 22 games in our cup year (.72PPG-prorated 60 points in 82 game season)).

He's a playmaker at heart who can also finish his chances. He's a good fit for Hossa and the past has shown that. He was good with Havlat and Havlat was more of a playmaker as well. For all the clamoring about giving Kruger a chance on our roster... I think it makes just as much or more sense to give Bolland a shot as our #2 center. If he can stay healthy, I'd expect him to post career-highs next to Hossa. Whatever line he's on could be our defacto shut-down line as well. It doesn't have to be so black and white... I mean, any line with Bolland and Hossa will shut-down and be an offensive threat whenever they're on the ice. We could just roll 1 energy line, 1 checking/shut-down line, 1 shut-down/scoring line and our top scoring line.

Old
07-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

Bolland was an absolutely nasty offensive player in Juniors and I think thats what he naturally is. He got molded into a defensive player and because he is so good at shutting guys down, we forget about his offense. I think he will break out next season playing with more offensive guys and won't lose a step defensively.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
On the other hand Bolland had good chemistry with Bickell and Frolik in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to break them up before giving them a good go to see if there was something there. If it turns out to be a flash in the pan, then why not give him a go with Hossa, although I have a recollection that a Bolland-Hossa pairing has been tried and it didn't work as well as the Ladd-Bolland-Havlat line (which was indeed a very good line) and that's why Hossa-Sharp ended up playing a lot together.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:

Jeff Taffe leading Rockford scorer. He is a good guy to have in the AHL. I mean a career AHL guy..

I would rather Morin Pirri Beach play on a line because those guys playing together and clicking in Rockford and learning each others game makes more sense than Taffe.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I see your point, and I don't see how it hurts to give that line a go again. We'll probably see both at some point, I'm sure. I liked what that BBF line did in the playoffs, but really the only defensive stalwart on that line is Bolland. I think that a Bolland-Hossa line would be an incredible mix of shut-down ability and scoring punch.

But you're right, they've had times where they clicked and other times where they didn't. I think they're very compatible though and if we give them enough time together, they'll consistently click together. Not sure if that'll happen with Q though.