HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waiver eligibilty of Gustafsson/others?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
  #51
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Gustafsson would have been eligible for 2007 I believe. That's also the offseason he left Timra's junior system in Sweden for Northern Michigan.
That would make him 19 in the year he was eligible for the draft. He wouldn't be considered 20 then by the CBA, unless it has to do with when he signed the contract, rather than his eligibility, since he was undrafted.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
  #52
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
That would make him 19 in the year he was eligible for the draft. He wouldn't be considered 20 then by the CBA, unless it has to do with when he signed the contract, rather than his eligibility, since he was undrafted.

Meltzer talks about age at signing... this talk about their draft seems to be another aspect.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
  #53
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,109
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I'd like us to keep both Gustafsson and Bartulis up and waive Lilja... if it weren't for that 35+ contract...

So, I guess it means it will be either Gus/Bart and Holmstrom/Sestito on the opening roster? Unless some other prospect has too good a training camp to keep off the roster.
why? I trust Lilja more than I trust both of them

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:27 PM
  #54
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 500
I'm not sure, but I think people are getting mixed up because of Gustafsson's trial period the year before and whether or not those 5 games count as a "professional season."

This could also be based on when exactly he signed the contract as opposed to his age when he started playing. Gustafsson has a late birthday.

He was officially 21 when he signed. He turned 22 that December.

He has played 75 professional games while under this current contract (3 NHL/72 AHL) and 5 games under a tryout contract despite having a signed NHL contract ready for July 1st, 2010.

The chart says 3 seasons from signing and 80 NHL games for a 21-year-old.

Gustafsson has played 1 season from signing a standard player contract (SPC) and played only 3 NHL games.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
  #55
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500
if all goes well, we won't even have to consider waiving Gus anyways, I think he can beat out Walker, Bart and Lilja for the 6th spot

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
  #56
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
why? I trust Lilja more than I trust both of them
Lilja is a ****ing idiot, and I don't like him. More importantly though, he has slowed down considerably the past few years, and he wasn't exactly described as a mobile defenseman previously.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:52 PM
  #57
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
That's what I wrote last season, regarding Bartulis. I was right back then (five days before Meltzer posted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
The only things that determine waiver eligibility are games played and the age the contract was signed, nothing else. Bartulis signed during the 06/07 season at 19, exempt for four years (or, if he plays as a 19 year old 3 years). Four years means four seasons starting with the season he signed. The four seasons are 06/07, 07/08, 08/09 and 09/10. He is waiver eligible with the start of the 10/11 season.
The rules are still the same, age contract signed and number of NHL games. For Gustafsson (signed at 21), three years or 80 NHL games until he isn't exempt. BOth isn't reached, so he is exempt.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
  #58
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,953
vCash: 500
Yeah, he's waiver exempt. That's one rule I actually DO know fairly well from all the NHL EHM playing.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
  #59
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,736
vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
That's what I wrote last season, regarding Bartulis. I was right back then (five days before Meltzer posted).



The rules are still the same, age contract signed and number of NHL games. For Gustafsson (signed at 21), three years or 80 NHL games until he isn't exempt. BOth isn't reached, so he is exempt.
PPP explains it the best I think (Meltzer has cited as much, we were just discussing it):

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl

Bartulis hasn't played 80 NHL games, but he had played 209 professional games prior to the start of last season ('10-'11). AHL counts, the number of games made the age limits irrelevant.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:24 AM
  #60
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
they really need to fix waivers in the new cba. it comes up alot and leaves TONS of fans confused.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:33 AM
  #61
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
why? I trust Lilja more than I trust both of them
You never watched Lilja play I guess? The dude is BARELY, if you can even call him it, a 6th d-man. He gets injured every single season and is out for long periods of time. He is also as slow as a rock (OD will look like a speed demon when we watch Lilja). I wouldnt be surprised at all if Bartulis or Gustafsson gets the 6th spot and Lilja is the 7th.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
  #62
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
they really need to fix waivers in the new cba. it comes up alot and leaves TONS of fans confused.
Yeah, reworking the CBA so fans can understand how waivers work should be a priority during negotiations...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
  #63
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,179
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Yeah, reworking the CBA so fans can understand how waivers work should be a priority during negotiations...
I'd prefer if they rework them so the Flyers understand.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:03 PM
  #64
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd prefer if they rework them so the Flyers understand.
I don't think you're allowed to write legal documents in crayon.


Last edited by Coppy: 07-14-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:16 PM
  #65
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd prefer if they rework them so the Flyers understand.
That's funny, and sad, because it's probably pretty true.

I wonder how many pages Holmgren looks at and only sees

blah
blah
blah
blah
salary cap
blah
blah

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:23 PM
  #66
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Meltzer is a f---ing genius imo. He is always on point and just "gets it"

but i swear hes got a fetish for waiver eligibility :p

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:27 PM
  #67
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That's funny, and sad, because it's probably pretty true.

I wonder how many pages Holmgren looks at and only sees

blah
blah
blah
blah
salary cap
blah
blah


Will you guys give it a rest, every team hires a cap expert. Usually some accountant or a firm that works close to the GM. No GM in any of the major 4 sports is completely knowledgeable of all the suttle intricacies of the CBA. For instance, Joe banner is the Eagles, cap guy. He is the one who prepares contract in order for them to be cap friendly. Howie roseman on the other hand is the gm who is more involved with personnel decisions. The GM job of the 70's is now done by over 20 people in the organization.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
  #68
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Will you guys give it a rest, every team hires a cap expert. Usually some accountant or a firm that works close to the GM. No GM in any of the major 4 sports is completely knowledgeable of all the suttle intricacies of the CBA. For instance, Joe banner is the Eagles, cap guy. He is the one who prepares contract in order for them to be cap friendly. Howie roseman on the other hand is the gm who is more involved with personnel decisions. The GM job of the 70's is now done by over 20 people in the organization.
Well then this team needs to get a cap expert or 20 new people, because they are TERRIBLE in regards on how they manage it. One of, if not, the worse in the league.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:38 PM
  #69
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well then this team needs to get a cap expert or 20 new people, because they are TERRIBLE in regards on how they manage it. One of, if not, the worse in the league.
That my friend is not even close to being debatable unfortunately. Although i loved the Carter, Richards, Pronger contracts.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
  #70
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
That's what I wrote last season, regarding Bartulis. I was right back then (five days before Meltzer posted).



The rules are still the same, age contract signed and number of NHL games. For Gustafsson (signed at 21), three years or 80 NHL games until he isn't exempt. BOth isn't reached, so he is exempt.
For a player that signed when he was 20 or older, 1 game played as a Pro, which includes the AHL, counts as a Season towards his Waiver expemption. So it's not just NHL games in regards to Gustafsson. He is still exempt regardless for this year.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
  #71
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
PPP explains it the best I think (Meltzer has cited as much, we were just discussing it):

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl

Bartulis hasn't played 80 NHL games, but he had played 209 professional games prior to the start of last season ('10-'11). AHL counts, the number of games made the age limits irrelevant.
I think professional games are only relevant to re-entry waivers, as they make the difference between minor league veterans and NHL veterans, but that is a different topic. (Reason Bacashihua can be called up without re-entry waivers).

Bartulis is eligible because of the years since he signed his contract. Exempt for four seasons, 06/07, 07/08, 08/09 and 09/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
For a player that signed when he was 20 or older, 1 game played as a Pro, which includes the AHL, counts as a Season towards his Waiver expemption. So it's not just NHL games in regards to Gustafsson. He is still exempt regardless for this year.
Yes, I don't disagree with that.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:28 PM
  #72
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You never watched Lilja play I guess? The dude is BARELY, if you can even call him it, a 6th d-man. He gets injured every single season and is out for long periods of time. He is also as slow as a rock (OD will look like a speed demon when we watch Lilja). I wouldnt be surprised at all if Bartulis or Gustafsson gets the 6th spot and Lilja is the 7th.
I can't honestly remember Lilja playing for the Ducks, maybe Detroit.

I think they wanted a veteran for the 7 spot, so they signed him. They clearly either didn't think O'D could do the job, or would not accept a press box seat - which Lilja clearly will.

Bartulis will be given the chance to make the team in the 6 spot. If Gus beats hiim out, he might get sent down and we could lose him on waivers.

My guess is Gus starts with the Phanoms again, and we'll see how they all do.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
  #73
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,579
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I can't honestly remember Lilja playing for the Ducks, maybe Detroit.

I think they wanted a veteran for the 7 spot, so they signed him. They clearly either didn't think O'D could do the job, or would not accept a press box seat - which Lilja clearly will.

Bartulis will be given the chance to make the team in the 6 spot. If Gus beats hiim out, he might get sent down and we could lose him on waivers.

My guess is Gus starts with the Phanoms again, and we'll see how they all do.
I can't wait until Bartulis is waived and claimed and people act like he was going to be a future #1.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
  #74
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,179
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I can't wait until Bartulis is waived and claimed and people act like he was going to be a future #1.
If Bartulis is waived and claimed it's still an incredibly stupid move and truly terrible asset management, regardless of if he'd be a #1 or a #5.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
  #75
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Bartulis is waived and claimed it's still an incredibly stupid move and truly terrible asset management, regardless of if he'd be a #1 or a #5.
The way I look at it is if Bart gets beat out enough that they would send him down then it may actually be an advantage to gain a signing spot... They have veterans and prospects that are itching to prove what they got, so if Gus has it going enough to win the job, then so be it... And I think Bart is a fine young D-man who will no lose his slot; but who knows.

These waiver rules were structured and put in place to prevent stockpiling of players for an extended period of time... It certainly is doing its job as this situation may point out if Gus forces the issue with his play.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.