HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik excited to team with Richards

Old
07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Hahah my bad, this is ringing a bell now...
You don't have to back off of your original thought. You are not the only one who thinks Gaborik didn't have a concussion.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Gabby is excited, we are excited. Lets get this show on the road.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
So no excuses this season 40-50 goals this season.

No need for the sarcasm face. It's true: no excuse this year for under 40 goals. He should have somewhere between 40 and 50 goals. Gabby will be playing with someone who was Top-5 in the NHL in assists over the last two years (combined)... on a team where the most offensively gifted winger is Loui Eriksson. He was only 3 assists short of being in the top-3 in the NHL in assists over the last two seasons combined.

If Brad and Gabby are playing together, Brad should get 55+ assists and Gabby should get 40+ goals. No excuses.

Last edited by Beacon: 07-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:27 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
No need for the sarcasm face. It's true: no excuse this year for under 40 goals. He should have somewhere between 40 and 50 goals. Gabby will be playing with someone who was Top-5 in the NHL in assists over the last two years (combined)... on a team where the most offensively gifted winger is Loui Eriksson. He was only 3 assists short of being in the top-3 in the NHL in assists over the last two seasons combined.

If Brad and Gabby are playing together, Brad should get 55+ assists and Gabby should get 40+ goals. No excuses.
People had that same mentality when Gretzky was paired up with Hull. It never really materialized, though.

But I'm hoping for the best! The powerplay should be markedly better, in any case.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
People had that same mentality when Gretzky was paired up with Hull. It never really materialized, though.

But I'm hoping for the best! The powerplay should be markedly better, in any case.

Yeah, but I can give a lot more examples when two superstars clicked. Lemieux and Jagr or Oates and Neely or Kariya and Selanne if you want to go back in the 90s. Kovalchuk and Hossa or Spezza and Heatley more recently.

Even if they don't click, Brad should make another Ranger line so good that he will draw away at least some of the opposition's best defenders.

Dubinsky - Brad - Callahan
Wolski - Anisimov - Gabby

Playing on the second line, Gabby would face much weaker opposition, which too should lead to more goals.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Im glad Gaborik is excited, I just hope hes ready to be much more of a factor than he was last season.

And if this Gaborik-Richards tandem doesnt work, this team is just as far away from competing as it has been the last decade.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
You don't have to back off of your original thought. You are not the only one who thinks Gaborik didn't have a concussion.
What jogged my memory is that I recall now when he missed those few games, making some wise cracks on another forum, indicating that I didn't notice much difference with Gaborik out of the line-up, given the way he had been playing at the time (and for most of the season).

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:57 PM
the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Let these fools be roommates on the road, especially in Europe and Western Canada. Chemistry ins't only on the ice, but it is off the ice. They gotta form a trust and a friendship off the ice for max chemistry on the ice. Torts put them together in the room.
Don't vets traditionally get their own rooms on the road? Not sure how the Rangers do it. Wouldn't surprise me if Torts mandated that everyone has a roommate just for the camaraderie aspect but I'm not sure.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:27 PM
rangers91

rangers

so ****ing pumped for the season never been so exicted we got richards gaborik and so much character duby, boyle, prust, avery, cally and with sauer ****ing recking anyone who crashes lundqvist and staal and girardi playing 30 minutes a game. all we need is one more winger for the top line and we are perfect

rangers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:21 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:

One big difference though is that Gretzky & Hull were united via in-season trade. And I personally believed at the time that Gretzky thought he would end up in New York first.

Richards has known for a good while that he was gonna be a Blueshirt for a long time & he has a whole offseason to focus as well as to be prepared.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I would like to believe that these 2 producing & the goaltending performing at high levels are now officially the least of our concerns.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Richards to Gaborik

Definitely excited to see the two together. Plus they better be good. Last thing I want to do is change my username to "Christensen to Gaborik"

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
One big difference though is that Gretzky & Hull were united via in-season trade. And I personally believed at the time that Gretzky thought he would end up in New York first.

Richards has known for a good while that he was gonna be a Blueshirt for a long time & he has a whole offseason to focus as well as to be prepared.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I would like to believe that these 2 producing & the goaltending performing at high levels are now officially the least of our concerns.

Before St. Louis acquired him, the NY Post had a photoshopped picture of Gretzky in Ranger uniform on their backpage. It was thought that he'll go to NY and not St. Louis.

After the Blues got him, the rumors were still rife that Gretzky will be coming to NY. When the summer came, it was widely expected that he'll sign with the Rangers. There was more surprise when Brad signed here than when TGO did.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:42 AM
ohbaby

I was one of those who did not want Richards. Not at the trade deadline or in the offseason. His 250 shots on net average will take away from Gabbys output. It's no guarrantee these 2 will gel. And signing him for 9 years at top dollar seems ridiculous, for at best, a 20 goal scorer and 70 pts. Haven't we learned anything about big contract signings since Drury, Gomez, Redden, and Rosy didn't pan out.

But that's behind us now,.... and I hope I'm wrong, and he gives us at least a few good years. That said, whoever plays with Richards and Gabby, will be just as important to that line to make it work. Gilbert and Ratelle didn't thrive until Hadfield joined the GAG line. Last year, Dubi and Cally had career years only because they played with Arty. And they both have said so.

So that third wheel will be just as important to that line. And don't be surprised if Mike Rupp gets a look there. He can play some hockey along with his other skills. I love that we signed him. This very hard worker will fit right in with this club.

Avery might be the best fit though. He has more skill in controlling the puck and passing among the other attributes needed in that position,... crashing the net, working the corners, hunting the puck and the like.

But whoever plays with them will no doubt be crucial in bringing out the best in them.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:59 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I was one of those who did not want Richards. Not at the trade deadline or in the offseason. His 250 shots on net average will take away from Gabbys output. It's no guarrantee these 2 will gel. And signing him for 9 years at top dollar seems ridiculous, for at best, a 20 goal scorer and 70 pts. Haven't we learned anything about big contract signings since Drury, Gomez, Redden, and Rosy didn't pan out.

But that's behind us now,.... and I hope I'm wrong, and he gives us at least a few good years. That said, whoever plays with Richards and Gabby, will be just as important to that line to make it work. Gilbert and Ratelle didn't thrive until Hadfield joined the GAG line. Last year, Dubi and Cally had career years only because they played with Arty. And they both have said so.

So that third wheel will be just as important to that line. And don't be surprised if Mike Rupp gets a look there. He can play some hockey along with his other skills. I love that we signed him. This very hard worker will fit right in with this club.

Avery might be the best fit though. He has more skill in controlling the puck and passing among the other attributes needed in that position,... crashing the net, working the corners, hunting the puck and the like.

But whoever plays with them will no doubt be crucial in bringing out the best in them.
20 goals, 70 points is the worst case scenario, imo. Best is 30 goals, 90 points.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
blue425

Quote:

To be fair Gretzky did only play like 15 games for St. Louis.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
When Gaborik is healthy and motivated, he's a top five scorer in the NHL.

Richards is a top five playmaking center in the NHL.

Put the two together, and its a recipe for success.
Gotta admit, I'm happy with the Richards signing especially since there was no plan B in place if we didn't get him. He is definitely a top 5 playmaking center despite being a top 20 talent in the league.
Now for Mr.Gaborik: classifying him as a top 5 scorer(assuming he is healthy? and motivated??) is careless and silly. If a "motivated" maryjane pots between 30-35 goals this coming season, we should all jump for joy and turn cartwheels across the floor. However, if he gets injured(pretty likely) and/or isn't motivated(after last year,who knows?), then perhaps he can become a top "5" scorer in the khl after we cut him loose.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:59 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yeah, but I can give a lot more examples when two superstars clicked. Lemieux and Jagr or Oates and Neely or Kariya and Selanne if you want to go back in the 90s. Kovalchuk and Hossa or Spezza and Heatley more recently.

Even if they don't click, Brad should make another Ranger line so good that he will draw away at least some of the opposition's best defenders.

Dubinsky - Brad - Callahan
Wolski - Anisimov - Gabby

Playing on the second line, Gabby would face much weaker opposition, which too should lead to more goals.
I've said this a few times. Obviously Richards and Gaborik together will be the first combo tried, but I'd like to see them separated, and I'm sure we will at times.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:58 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
20 goals, 70 points is the worst case scenario, imo. Best is 30 goals, 90 points.
He has never scored 30 goals in his career. Last year was his best at 28. And thats with taking 270 shots. He has a poor shot pct. 9%. There's no way Richards and Gabby will both take 250 shots on the same line. So if you figure Richards to shoot less, then how many goals does he get? 16? Maybe 20? The 20 g, 70 pts is basically his season average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Gotta admit, I'm happy with the Richards signing especially since there was no plan B in place if we didn't get him. He is definitely a top 5 playmaking center despite being a top 20 talent in the league.
Now for Mr.Gaborik: classifying him as a top 5 scorer(assuming he is healthy? and motivated??) is careless and silly. If a "motivated" maryjane pots between 30-35 goals this coming season, we should all jump for joy and turn cartwheels across the floor. However, if he gets injured(pretty likely) and/or isn't motivated(after last year,who knows?), then perhaps he can become a top "5" scorer in the khl after we cut him loose.
Gabby is a proven elite goal scorer. Twice he had 42 goals, 6 times 30 or more in his 10 years so far, and if he didn't get injured a few times it would be even better. In 2006-07 he scored 30 yet only played 48 games that year. In 2008-09 he scored 13 in 17 games played. Hell, he scored 42 with us 2 years ago with no "center". He obviously played hurt last year. A very uncharacteristic year he had. There has been only one other year in his career, where he performed subpar.

Old
07-16-2011, 03:31 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
He has never scored 30 goals in his career. Last year was his best at 28. And thats with taking 270 shots. He has a poor shot pct. 9%. There's no way Richards and Gabby will both take 250 shots on the same line. So if you figure Richards to shoot less, then how many goals does he get? 16? Maybe 20? The 20 g, 70 pts is basically his season average.
Yeah. That's why I said best case scenario.
Last three seasons GP:G:A: P
56 16 32 48 .285 GPG, .857 PPG
80 24 67 91 .3 GPG, 1.137 PPG
72 28 49 77 .403 GPG, 1.069 PPG

He's scored at least 20 goals per season every year since the lockout except for the one he played 56 games in, where he got 16.

You love Rupp for 1.5, but hate Richards for 6.66?

Avery is actually the person I would least like to have on that line. I don't want him ruining every good play with a friggin offside. Let him sit in the press box.

Old
07-16-2011, 06:58 AM
free0717

I think the Rangers believe Wolski is there guy @ LW. I think they believe WW has some correctable flaws to his game. Otherwise, he would have been traded or bought out.

WW is working with Barbara Underhill this summer. Maybe a problem with his skating.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
They should be fun to watch but you hope they don't take half a season to develop chemestry..
The way I feel about this is that they'll (Rangers) be good enough even if they(BR/MG) are not clicking. I mean the Rangers made the playoffs without Richards last year. If they start clicking at mid season the Rangers could be one of the hottest teams going in the playoffs.

I'd rather be a team that is "hot" than be a #1 seed going into the playoffs.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:45 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Yeah. That's why I said best case scenario.
Last three seasons GP:G:A: P
56 16 32 48 .285 GPG, .857 PPG
80 24 67 91 .3 GPG, 1.137 PPG
72 28 49 77 .403 GPG, 1.069 PPG

He's scored at least 20 goals per season every year since the lockout except for the one he played 56 games in, where he got 16.

You love Rupp for 1.5, but hate Richards for 6.66?

Avery is actually the person I would least like to have on that line. I don't want him ruining every good play with a friggin offside. Let him sit in the press box.
Richards actually averages 22 goals a year but at a cost. He shoots over 250 times which is a shooting pct. of under 10%. If he plays on the same line as Gabby something has got to give. Either he must shoot less or take away from Gabby's production. My reason for not wanting him was,.... I don't think he will be the answer for Gabby everyone might think. Plus the cost is too high for an unknown pairing. And it's not the 6.6 mil,... it's the 9 years for an if. I just don't think they will be the dynamic duo we hope for. But I hope I'm wrong. Even so,... It wouldn't be a disaster if he played on a different line. Then they both get their shots. We know Gabby can score without a center. He has done it his entire career. Richards by far would be the best center Gabby has ever played with. And with Torts, you know no line ever stays together for long. So that LW position will likely be a merry-go-round with everyone taking a ride.

The thing with Avery I like, is him controlling the puck down low, he's strong on the puck, and finding either Gabby or Richards bomb of a shot. I like Richards, I just think the 9 years at a high number that was needed to snag him is too high a cost. It didn't cost us this year as we will sign everybody. But you watch 2 or 3 years from now we will be screaming about his contract, maybe sooner if he scores only 16 goals.

Old
07-16-2011, 12:57 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
The way I feel about this is that they'll (Rangers) be good enough even if they(BR/MG) are not clicking. I mean the Rangers made the playoffs without Richards last year. If they start clicking at mid season the Rangers could be one of the hottest teams going in the playoffs.

I'd rather be a team that is "hot" than be a #1 seed going into the playoffs.
Dont forget that the Rangers made the playoffs without Richards last year - AND - a metric **** ton of injuries. Richards + Relatively Healthy Team + Continued Development of Younger Players = we should be ok

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:00 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Richards actually averages 22 goals a year but at a cost. He shoots over 250 times which is a shooting pct. of under 10%. If he plays on the same line as Gabby something has got to give. Either he must shoot less or take away from Gabby's production. My reason for not wanting him was,.... I don't think he will be the answer for Gabby everyone might think. Plus the cost is too high for an unknown pairing. And it's not the 6.6 mil,... it's the 9 years for an if. I just don't think they will be the dynamic duo we hope for. But I hope I'm wrong. Even so,... It wouldn't be a disaster if he played on a different line. Then they both get their shots. We know Gabby can score without a center. He has done it his entire career. Richards by far would be the best center Gabby has ever played with. And with Torts, you know no line ever stays together for long. So that LW position will likely be a merry-go-round with everyone taking a ride.

The thing with Avery I like, is him controlling the puck down low, he's strong on the puck, and finding either Gabby or Richards bomb of a shot. I like Richards, I just think the 9 years at a high number that was needed to snag him is too high a cost. It didn't cost us this year as we will sign everybody. But you watch 2 or 3 years from now we will be screaming about his contract, maybe sooner if he scores only 16 goals.
If the cap goes down, so will Richards' cap hit. When it continues to go up later, I actually think it will matter much less than it does now, and its not extremely large as it is now. Frankly, if Richards only gets 15 goals, I won't be terribly disappointed. He wasn't brought in here to score goals. I'm excited because, well, if Gaborik can score 40+ goals and at a PPG pace every year since the lockout (barring last year), he can probably do so much with more with the elite center he's never been able to play with. If he doesn't click, he'll see second pairing defenseman on the second line and Dubi and Cally will go with Richards to become 65-70 point players. I'm ok with that, too. Richards' role on the PP is invaluable too and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him play the full 2 minutes like he did in Dallas.

Old
07-16-2011, 01:30 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
If the cap goes down, so will Richards' cap hit. When it continues to go up later, I actually think it will matter much less than it does now, and its not extremely large as it is now. Frankly, if Richards only gets 15 goals, I won't be terribly disappointed. He wasn't brought in here to score goals. I'm excited because, well, if Gaborik can score 40+ goals and at a PPG pace every year since the lockout (barring last year), he can probably do so much with more with the elite center he's never been able to play with. If he doesn't click, he'll see second pairing defenseman on the second line and Dubi and Cally will go with Richards to become 65-70 point players. I'm ok with that, too. Richards' role on the PP is invaluable too and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him play the full 2 minutes like he did in Dallas.
I wouldn't be disappointed either if he scored only 16. Cause you know he's gonna get his 50 assists. I have no doubt will we be, a much better team with him. Just not for the reason of setting up Gabby. What kills me about him is,.... he was always the scariest player when we played against him. Not Vinnie, Not Marty, but him! He has a bomb of a shot. And with his stickhandling he was always a threat to get a bomb off. I'm just very surprised he hasn't scored more goals with that rocket. Hell, he shoots a ton of shots. Before Ovie, he was always up there in SOGs. Still, he commands alot of respect, opening it up for his linemates.

Besides his PP skills, he kills PKs too, very well.