HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Prospal

Old
07-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Sure. Give me some names of the LW they could sign or trade for. And what are they giving up to get that top line LW?
I dunno... I'm not Glen Sather. Have no idea who he knows is/could be available. Have no idea who he thinks would work with BR & Gabby. It's his job to know, not mine.

As for what he'd be giving up?

I'd say you would see some combo of young d-men
or
dman + picks
or
dman + WW if anyone is crazy enough to take him.

It's a position that needs upgrading. Hopefully one of the young guys can do that in a yr/few years but until then it's a hole in the roster.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I dunno... I'm not Glen Sather. Have no idea who he knows is/could be available. Have no idea who he thinks would work with BR & Gabby. It's his job to know, not mine.

As for what he'd be giving up?

I'd say you would see some combo of young d-men
or
dman + picks
or
dman + WW if anyone is crazy enough to take him.

It's a position that needs upgrading. Hopefully one of the young guys can do that in a yr/few years but until then it's a hole in the roster.
Point is it's easy to say you can save capspace and trade for/sign a better LW. Little harder when you actually try to do it.

07-14-2011, 10:31 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Point is it's easy to say you can save capspace and trade for/sign a better LW. Little harder when you actually try to do it.
Exactly. So why not give Vinny a one year deal, let he and Wolski battle it out, and make the loser go home?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Exactly. So why not give Vinny a one year deal, let he and Wolski battle it out, and make the loser go home?
Or be scratched. Avery, Christensen, and the loser of Wolski/Prospal could be our 3 scratches, unless they want to keep a 7th defenseman.

Of course if Wolski loses and is awful, then they should be able to waive him and send him to Hartford if no one claims him.

07-14-2011, 10:35 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Sign him. I don't want crap Zuccarello taking a roster spot. Anyone/combo we put in place of Vinny won't come close to his production.

I'm all for playing kids, just not Craparello.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:43 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
my thoughts exactly

stick boyle and his gigantor-like frame in front of the net and let richards shoot pucks at him for 2 minutes

very excited to see our PP next season, and its certianly put up or shut up time for torts in that
regard
well, Richards isn't really a shooter and there are better in close options to the net on this team than boyle

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:

I'll give you that.

Point also is... without it we're not a contender... and while (I've said this already) I like Vinnie he's only a temp solution. He can't play forever. This season? Maybe. Not a lot of 38 yr olds coming off knee surgery lighting it up in the NHL. Even more unlikely that he can do it for 82 games, not even talking play-offs yet.

The plan may be WW or Vinnie until Krieder/Thomas are ready because of what you just said. We may be forced to keep him. IF that's the plan I'm on board... but Sather has some $, and can get more by buying out W2... he should see what he can do for sure.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
Any implications of a 35+ contract?
For a 1 year contract, there's zero implications for 35+. There's absolutely no difference between a 1 year deal for a 25 year old and a 36 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I'll give you that.

Point also is... without it we're not a contender... and while (I've said this already) I like Vinnie he's only a temp solution. He can't play forever. This season? Maybe. Not a lot of 38 yr olds coming off knee surgery lighting it up in the NHL. Even more unlikely that he can do it for 82 games, not even talking play-offs yet.

The plan may be WW or Vinnie until Krieder/Thomas are ready because of what you just said. We may be forced to keep him. IF that's the plan I'm on board... but Sather has some $, and can get more by buying out W2... he should see what he can do for sure.
He's 36... kind of a big difference from 38

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
For a 1 year contract, there's zero implications for 35+. There's absolutely no difference between a 1 year deal for a 25 year old and a 36 year old.

He's 36... kind of a big difference from 38

My bad. Thought he was turning 38 this yr

Old
07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Well, there is one difference. 35+ players on 1 year deals are eligible for performance bonuses. But since there is no bonus cushion next year, I doubt Vinny will get any if he is signed.

But yes, teams are only stuck with the cap hit after the 1st year of a multi-year deal. Brashear signed a 2 year deal at age 37. We sent him down during the 1st year, removing his cap hit. In the 2nd year, we traded him and atlanta bought him out, keeping the full 1.4 mil cap hit.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You know who the Rangers could actually use right now a lot more than W. Wolski?

Rozsival. Just pointing it out.

Of course if we had Rozy we wouldnt have the cash to sign Prospal as a replacement.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You know who the Rangers could actually use right now a lot more than W. Wolski?

Of course if we had Rozy we wouldnt have the cash to sign Prospal as a replacement.
We were all getting along so well and dandy and then bam. You had to open up that can of worms. May offdacrossbar not see this eitherwise we'll always have 'nam like nightmares of Lisin.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Signing Prospal to be our top LW is insanity. Signing him as our #13 for $1 million to be plugged in every time there's an injury or a benching, now that makes sense.

It keeps him fresh through the season and he's going to be a better player than whatever scrubs we have right now who will be coming in as plugs for our injured guys.

Plus, just waive Christ or send him somewhere for future considerations. Prospal>Christ as a #13.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Signing Prospal to be our top LW is insanity. Signing him as our #13 for $1 million to be plugged in every time there's an injury or a benching, now that makes sense.

It keeps him fresh through the season and he's going to be a better player than whatever scrubs we have right now who will be coming in as plugs for our injured guys.

Plus, just waive Christ or send him somewhere for future considerations. Prospal>Christ as a #13.
23 points in 29 games last year and 58 in 75 the year before.

He isn't going to be a #13 on this team if we sign him unless something goes horribly awry, in which case he'd be on IR anyways. In terms of PPG the only LW we have that will even touch his production is Dubinsky.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
We're not playing one of our PK guys in Dubi 2 minutes per pp unless we want to give him another stress fracture from overuse.

If we acquire the depth, we won't have to kill our top guys with 24 minutes a night, which believe it or not is a big wear on forwards over the course of a season.
That's a good way of looking at it. Dubi is one of our top PK'ers also.

He should be on PP1, though. No one else can control the puck like him on this roster.

You know Torts will give him a lot of ice time, either way.

More we all talk about it the more it makes sense, we should bring Prospal back for one year. I like his game more then Christensen, Wolski, Avery, and even Zuccarello.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

And where would he play, on the bottom pairing not shooting the puck on the PP?

We don't really need either of them.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
23 points in 29 games last year and 58 in 75 the year before.

He isn't going to be a #13 on this team if we sign him unless something goes horribly awry, in which case he'd be on IR anyways. In terms of PPG the only LW we have that will even touch his production is Dubinsky.
Exactly...

Prospal is going to find a way to put up 55 points. If he's completely healthy, over 60.

Dunno why people think that is just replaceable or someone else could do it.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Exactly...

Prospal is going to find a way to put up 55 points. If he's completely healthy, over 60.

Dunno why people think that is just replaceable or someone else could do it.

Problem is, I don't know that he can still remain completely healthy if he plays the whole season on the top-2 lines, logging close to 20 minutes per game.

The guy will turn 37 in February.

I would rather that he plays about 43-50 games. That's how many games have at least one injury or benching. If he can contribute 30 points over 50 games, it would be a very significant contribution for a million dollars, while keeping him healthy and rested for the playoffs.

Then in the playoffs, he should play full time because - let's face it - he's still probably superior to any of our LWs other than Dubinsky.

I don't think there's a reason to over-play him during the regular season because we'll make the playoffs anyway, and having him an extra 30 games on the ice (that's assuming he's totally healthy) won't make a massive difference for us, probably no difference in standings at all.

Considering that he'll be 37 by the time playoffs begin, I would rather he be well-rested.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Why does everyone act like Prospal had 8 different injuries last season? He rehabed an injury that most believed, including Tortarella, would keep him out the entire year. He came back and although at times it looked like he wasn't in top "game shape", he didn't miss any time when he came back. And we all know the stats by now.

This generalization that he's injury prone because he had a knee injury is similar to guys that labeled Brad Richards a risk because he missed 8 games to a concussion. Prospal clearly keeps himself in good shape, it's not crazy to think the odds of him playing 65+ games next year are good.

If he's on the 2nd or 3rd line and on the 2nd powerplay unit, he's VERY valuable to this team and a much better asset to Wolski, not just production wise, but he brings leadership to the table and a positive influence int he lockerroom. And he's also a "tort's guy", which while I think that's a little overrated, isn't a bad thing for certain.

10 powerplay points in 29 games...we need supporting cast guys like that.

Callahan-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Richards-defenseman on the point as our first unit, Prospal with 2 of: Boyle, Stepan, Anisimov, Christensen, Wolski and whoever is left on defense, and you have two solid units...something we haven't had in a LONG time.

The fact that Christensen and Wolski were critical to our powerplay last season showed how dire that situation is. We need Prospal for our powerplay, we need to take this very low risk to make our powerplay better.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I thought he was done because of the knee.

He came back and his mentality and skill hadn't gone anywhere.

Just strengthen the knee.

Sign him for one year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote