HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #16

View Poll Results: Who is the #16 Rangers prospect?
Jason Wilson 1 1.79%
Mikhail Pashnin 13 23.21%
Michael St. Croix 10 17.86%
Dale Weise 12 21.43%
Shane McColgan 20 35.71%
Blake Parlett 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #16

Our third-round pick Steven Fogarty won round 15. Jason Wilson won the right to be added to the poll.

Don't forget to write-in who should be added in the next round. Also would be good to include a discussion/argument on why you voted for a particular prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. D Ryan McDonagh
3. D Tim Erixon
4. RW Christian Thomas
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. LW Mats Zuccarello
7. LW J.T. Miller
8. LW Carl Hagelin
9. RW Jesper Fasth
10. D Pavel Valentenko

SECOND-TIER PROSPECTS

11. C Oscar Lindberg
12. D Tomas Kundratek
13. LW Ryan Bourque
14. C Andrew Yogan
15. C Steven Fogarty

Steven Fogarty
Center
Born Dec 4 1991 -- Boca Raton, FL
Height 6.03 -- Weight 202 -- Shoots L

2010-11 Chicago Steel USHL 6 2 0 2 2

"underrated...one of the most natural passers... we wanted him."
-Gordie Clark

Old
07-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

LW JASON WILSON

Tough, banging winger projected to play on the bottom two lines as a physical player who can hopefully add some offense.

"Wilson is going to surprise some people. He can really play.”
-Gordie Clark

D MIKHAIL PASHNIN

Hard-hitting defenseman with an all-around game. Similar in style to Scott Stevens, though obviously nowhere near as talented. However, he is on the first pairing defenseman in the KHL at the age of 21.

"Pashnin is a warrior, who goes all out in games and does everything it takes to win. He is a good influence on his teammates, because he has great character and is a solid, hard-working player... He acclimated very well on the Red Army team and to the big city. Since playing at the KHL level, he has really improved his intensity and quickness. His body-checking has become harder and he plays a stronger physical game. He is a very hard player to play against and he plays with a lot of confidence."
- Vladimir Lutchenko, the Rangers' Russian scout.

"He plays like a North American. I loved what I saw from him in the 2008 Canada-Russia Challenge series. The Canadian players came after the Russians, and this guy just gave it right back to them. He's just a real warrior."
- Gordie Clark in 2010.

"The KHL arenas have wider ice, and there's very little hitting, but Pashnin's game is a North American game, and that's why he stood out at Development Camp last year. The way he plays is very North American. Defenseman Mikhail Pashnin, the Rangers' seventh-round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, celebrates the MHL championship he won with Red Army 2, the top affiliate of CSKA Moscow on April 22, just a few weeks before he turned 22 years old... He came here and he opened a lot of eyes"
- Gordie Clark in 2011.

C MICHAEL ST. CROIX

A talented small guy who is high risk, high reward, exactly the kind of player I have been advocating that we draft.

"His statistics and achievements speak for themselves, but the essence to St. Croix’s unique game is his style of play. A playmaker and goal-scorer, he believes a big part of his game involves his vision, which contributes to his impressive offensive abilities. St. Croix is able to set up plays and get passes through the narrowest of lanes, but most importantly he positions himself perfectly to finish the play. At the same time, his vision grants him the confidence to get fancy with the puck and put on a show."
- The Hockey News

RW DALE WEISE

Tied for AHL lead in shorthanded goals, energy player who has been compared to Callahan by the Rangers.

"He's very underrated as a goal-scorer, so I would have expected close to 20 in his first year, and I'm not at all surprised he got this many (28) in his second year. I think this is a big off-season for him in getting himself prepared to take a run at a position on the Rangers. He had a great year for us in Hartford... He's got a combination of size and skating. The thing we licked about him in juniors was his penchant for finishing checks. He still does and can pop anybody. He plays an all-around game and plays in all positions."
- Gordie Clark.

"I do have some skill, too. I'm not a guy that just fights and mucks. I think I can score, and eventually someday, I can probably score 20 goals in the NHL."
- Dale Weise.

RW SHANE MCCOLGAN

Just like St. Croix in that he's a talented small kid. Finished as the runner-up to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as the WHL top rookie in 2009-10 after posting 25 goals and 69 points in 71 games.

"McColgan sees the ice well, has great hands, and definitely isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas. The big question on everyone’s mind is whether or not he will be able to play his style at the pro level. The 5-9 McColgan hasn’t let his size hold him back yet, as he has proven a willingness to battle with any player in the WHL while generally staying healthy. If he can get his game to the next level, he could be a big draft day steal."
- TheScoutingReport.org

"Plays fearlessly as a Kelowna Rocket with a great speed/skill ratio puck and does so at top end speed, maybe faster than anyone in this draft class. Has a nice snap shot, and passes well, but what sets him apart is the quick first step and the gears. Not big, and needs heaps of weight-room strength. Never the less, he brings all he does have in the attack zone.
- Bill Placzek

D BLAKE PARLETT

Offensive defenseman with good size. ECHL All-Star in 2011.

“A good defenseman has to be able to move the puck, whether it’s in transition, regrouping, breaking out or making plays under pressure. He does all those things, and those are often skills that I try to polish in young defensemen who come here. If you have a kid who shows up and has that element in his game, it’s a good plus.”
- Whale Assistant Coach J.J.Daigneault.

“I like the way he moves the puck, and he’s a strong skater, so that’s always helpful when you’re defending and can close the gap and take away time and space. He’s really poised with the puck; he doesn’t just throw it away, which is part of being a good player. And he makes plays that make a difference in the course of a game."
- Whale Coach Ken Gernander.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

St. Croix, and why don't we add Cameron Talbot.

07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Went with Michael St. Croix because he has easily the highest potential of any prospect still up there. I like McColgan too, but St. Croix was 1) drafted earlier and nothing changed since then; 2) about 1-2 inches taller; 3) scored more last season. It's not a runaway call for St. Croix, but it's pretty clear that he's a superior prospect right now.

Add Sam Noreau. He was just picked in the 5th round. I don't see anyone who's worth more than that who's not already in the poll.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
eco's bones

Weise. Talbot.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Went with Michael St. Croix because he has easily the highest potential of any prospect still up there. I like McColgan too, but St. Croix was 1) drafted earlier and nothing changed since then; 2) about 1-2 inches taller; 3) scored more last season. It's not a runaway call for St. Croix, but it's pretty clear that he's a superior prospect right now.

Add Sam Noreau. He was just picked in the 5th round. I don't see anyone who's worth more than that who's not already in the poll.
Ditto.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Do people really think Talbot will be a decent goalie? I mean, at least someone who can be a good NHL backup?

Old
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Do people really think Talbot will be a decent goalie? I mean, at least someone who can be a good NHL backup?
I think he has a better shot at NHL action than anyone else we could add to the list right now. Usually when I get past any skater prospects I have any interest in I go to goaltenders in the system.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
xxxZENxxx

McColgan has to be the guy here. He has much higher upside than St. Croix. Add a goalie.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

McColgan. Add Talbot

Old
07-14-2011, 03:45 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Went with McColgan again. Guy plays with heart and has skill. He was going to be a top 10 pick before he had a down year, and that's cause he was hurt. He's got the most skill of anyone on the list. We're going to be talking about this guy as one of our top prospects either at the end of this season or at the beginning of next season.

Add Stacjer.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
St. Croix. Upside.

Add Cameron Talbot.

It's just pain.
Old
07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Jxmarts

Wilson. A grinder with toughness who is good defensively always has a good shot to make it in the NHL a la Prust. St. Croix & McColgan can easily pass him, but there's a reason why they slipped in the draft, and they need to prove that their disappointing seasons were just flukes.

Add Sam Noreau.

Old
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

McColgan. Add Talbot

Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Went with McColgan again. Guy plays with heart and has skill. He was going to be a top 10 pick before he had a down year, and that's cause he was hurt. He's got the most skill of anyone on the list. We're going to be talking about this guy as one of our top prospects either at the end of this season or at the beginning of next season.

Add Stacjer.
When was McColgan projected to be a top ten pick? I've seen reports of him having first round talent, but never anything claiming that he was a top ten player.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

I think it's safe to say that neither McColgan nor St. Croix won't be our top prospect a year from now. The absolute best either of them can hope for is to reach the level of Christian Thomas, who is presently our #4 prospect after having a terrific regular season and an enormous post-season.

A small guy will never be ranked as the top prospect unless he already spent half a season in the NHL as a top-6 player and he did not graduate only because of HF's game requirement.

As for being "one of the top prospects", it's possible, but again, it depends on how you define it. Even to be "one of the top prospects", St. Croix and McColgan would need to get 90+ points the next season just to crack our top-10 in the summer 2012 rankings.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
When was McColgan projected to be a top ten pick? I've seen reports of him having first round talent, but never anything claiming that he was a top ten player.
Sorry about the top 10 pick part. Meant to say, top 10 forward in the draft. He got hurt and he didn't get off to a great start, so his stock fell, luckily for us. Look at his playoff performances. I think if he's healthy to start the season, anywhere from 90-100 points for him is not out of the question. He'll AT LEAST be the top scoring forward on his team.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
St. Croix. Upside.

Add Cameron Talbot.
Weiss. Likelihood of reaching potential outweighs potential of 2011 4th and 5th rounders.

Add Talbot.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that neither McColgan nor St. Croix won't be our top prospect a year from now. The absolute best either of them can hope for is to reach the level of Christian Thomas, who is presently our #4 prospect after having a terrific regular season and an enormous post-season.

A small guy will never be ranked as the top prospect unless he already spent half a season in the NHL as a top-6 player and he did not graduate only because of HF's game requirement.

As for being "one of the top prospects", it's possible, but again, it depends on how you define it. Even to be "one of the top prospects", St. Croix and McColgan would need to get 90+ points the next season just to crack our top-10 in the summer 2012 rankings.
Umm no offense but just because a player is "small" doesnt mean he cant be a great player in the league. Look at Parise. Besides that, these guys are at least 5'7 and WILL continue to grow.

Thomas has OUTSTANDING upside and being #4 on our list has more to do with the fact that our prospect pool is EXTREMELY deep, especially with defensive prospects.

They can very well do that, since i believe i read that last year McColgan had 69pts in 71games and was INJURED for part of the year.

Anyway, im voting for McColgan, he has extreme potential and skill, just needs to grow a couple of inches and gain some muscle.

Add Talbot

Old
07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Why is there no love for Pashnin? First overall pick in the KHL Draft! Also, he had a great camp last year.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCenafearsTheRock View Post
Why is there no love for Pashnin? First overall pick in the KHL Draft! Also, he had a great camp last year.
Because him having any success in the NHL would be entirely conducive on the notion that he is a better NHL player than a KHL player. And that is a very rare thing.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Sorry about the top 10 pick part. Meant to say, top 10 forward in the draft. He got hurt and he didn't get off to a great start, so his stock fell, luckily for us. Look at his playoff performances. I think if he's healthy to start the season, anywhere from 90-100 points for him is not out of the question. He'll AT LEAST be the top scoring forward on his team.
I don't know about that either. He was 15th among WHL skaters in the preliminary rankings, before his stock fell.

I like him as a prospect, I just don't think he was nearly as highly-regarded as you state, really at any point. I could be wrong.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:05 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:

Thomas isn't the biggest player out there, and he put up amazing points. If there was no acquisition of Erixon, he'd be the 3rd best prospect in our system. I think people here realize players that have talent, and rank them high based on that. If those guys put up big years in the CHL, they'll rocket towards the top based off of who'll graduate (McDonagh, MZA, possibly Erixon, Valentenko, Thomas, Hagelin or Kundratek). At least one of those players in the possibly group will graduate, most likely to be Erixon or V-Tank. All those guys (7) are in the top 11 players

The only guys on the list who will for sure still be there are, Kreider, Miller, Mcilrath, and Fasth. Not all of those guys will graduate, if the min amount do (I think that it is 4, but 3 is likely), McColgan and St. Croix will have the opportunity to jump players like Lindberg, Hagelin, and Kundratek/V-Tank just because they are boom/bust top 6 players while the others are more or less bottom 6/bottom pair forwards/defenders.

One of those two players will be in the top 5 prospects at season's end based on them jumping past people, and others graduating.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCenafearsTheRock View Post
i voted for Pashnin, but the whole first overall pick was blown out of proportion. i know the players that were in that draft were mostly scrubs or players unlikely to ever play in the KHL (like Tavares for example)

I could be wrong though, im just going off of memory.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Umm no offense but just because a player is "small" doesnt mean he cant be a great player in the league. Look at Parise.

You must've missed my (many) posts arguing that we should draft small players with high skill rather than big players with limited skill, when that is the choice we get. Obviously I agree with you.

But the reality is that your top prospect will almost always be a guy with the full package. Who knows if Kreider or Thomas will be better, but Kreider is ranked higher because he's bigger.

If Thomas was the same size as Kreider, there's no doubt he'd be our top prospect and one of the top-10 prospects in the league.

Closed Thread