HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Re-sign Brian Boyle (3 years, $1.7M per)

Old
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
3 years is the right term
Thank you Sather

Its good in the sense that if Boyle has another big year, we dont lose him to a possibly absurd UFA contract. Longer deals always represent more interest on the part of the team for the potential growth of their investment. NYR clearly don't think Boyle is going to regress.

NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
I'm okay with the term, assuming the cap hit is under $2 mill, because this also makes it a lot easier to use him as an asset in a trade if such a need arises.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
u think so?

outside of last season he had never scored more than 4 goals in an NHL season, or more than 6 points...

last 23 games of last season where he came back down to earth he had 1 goal 2 assists and a -5 (not that i put much stock in the +/- stat)

over 82 games thats 4 goals, and 7 assists....

id call 2 mil a year for 3 years GROSS overpayment.

Let me put it this way. I think his worth as expect is probably in the $1.6 to $1.7 range, and that's assuming never again scores 20 goals and becomes a 12 goal, 15 assist checking center. In that case, he's slightly overpaid, but it does not change our cap situation one bit.

On the other hand, if he works hard and keeps improving and proves that the 21-goal season wasn't merely a fluke, then he deserves significantly more than $2, maybe $2.5 to $3 if he establishes himself as a 20-20 player while improving his hitting (now he's just shoving guys rather than running through them). I doubt this happens, but it could.

So it's not a horrible gamble for us if it's $2 a year. I won't be excited about it, but it's not the worst thing that could happen to the franchise. Plus, it eats up two years of UFA availability, and he'd likely get paid somewhat more than he deserves if he hit the UFA market as a 27-year-old next year.

Would Boyle at $5.5 over 3 years be worse than Rupp at $4.5?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Please be 1.5M, please be 1.5M, please be 1.5M.

If its over 2M then I will not be happy.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

One year deal takes Boyle to group III. Rangers never do that.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
freewheeler

If it's 2 UFA years then that should put some upward pressure on the $$$. Don't be stunned if it comes in closer to 2M/.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
17futurecap

Is it 1 or 2 years of UFA years eaten up?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I'd be fine with a $1.75 mil cap hit... That's my guess on what it is.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Let me put it this way. I think his worth as expect is probably in the $1.6 to $1.7 range, and that's assuming never again scores 20 goals and becomes a 12 goal, 15 assist checking center. In that case, he's slightly overpaid, but it does not change our cap situation one bit.

On the other hand, if he works hard and keeps improving and proves that the 21-goal season wasn't merely a fluke, then he deserves significantly more than $2, maybe $2.5 to $3 if he establishes himself as a 20-20 player while improving his hitting (now he's just shoving guys rather than running through them). I doubt this happens, but it could.

So it's not a horrible gamble for us if it's $2 a year. I won't be excited about it, but it's not the worst thing that could happen to the franchise. Plus, it eats up two years of UFA availability, and he'd likely get paid somewhat more than he deserves if he hit the UFA market as a 27-year-old next year.
yeah, youre banking on him improving in that case. if not, youve committed 3 years to a guy who really has no offensive ability sans a very outrageous first 60 games of last season or whatever, with the Rangers have TONS of young prospects who are chomping at the bit ready to take a spot. granted, it wouldnt be tough to get out from under the contract, but still, its not something i would have done.

Now, if its 3 years at like 1.25mil per year, im happy with the deal, because, imho, thats what he shoudl be getting.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I'm happy he's signed for three. I just hope it's 1.5 or less like everyone else.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleharp View Post
He's training again with the figure/power skater Barbara, so with that will most likely come more improvement or at least sustainability. I think he can replicate the season he had last year, but hopefully with more consistency.

He won't score 20+ goals again if for no other reason than because Brad Richards will eat up a lot of his time, and Stepan will probably play more too.

Now, if he gets moved to the first line LW spot, then he can definitely score over 20 goals, but that's because he'll be surrounded by Gabby and Brad.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Thank you Sather

Its good in the sense that if Boyle has another big year, we dont lose him to a possibly absurd UFA contract. Longer deals always represent more interest on the part of the team for the potential growth of their investment. NYR clearly don't think Boyle is going to regress.
Thought Sauer and AA would get 2 years. Thought Boyle would get 3 years. Callahan and Dubinsky will get between 4-5 years. My $ is on 5 years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thought Sauer and AA would get 2 years. Thought Boyle would get 3 years. Callahan and Dubinsky will get between 4-5 years. My $ is on 5 years.
give us the dollar amounts too!

Old
07-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Final pieces would be adding Vinny and a vet dman on cheap one year deals and IMO we'd be set for a run.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Just turned on my PC. Good news.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
yeah, youre banking on him improving in that case. if not, youve committed 3 years to a guy who really has no offensive ability sans a very outrageous first 60 games of last season or whatever, with the Rangers have TONS of young prospects who are chomping at the bit ready to take a spot. granted, it wouldnt be tough to get out from under the contract, but still, its not something i would have done.
Lets not forget how good he was on the PK and how well his line played at even strength... Boyle finished with 240 hits (led the team), 86 blocks (led all forwards), and was a +2 on the season, compared to Callahan being a -7. There is certainly more value to Boyle's game then just his offensive production. Boyle's got a lot of character, and he's a Torts type of guy. Doesn't strike me as a player who's going to let himself digress... I think he will push himself to continue to play well.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
He won't score 20+ goals again if for no other reason than because Brad Richards will eat up a lot of his time, and Stepan will probably play more too.

Now, if he gets moved to the first line LW spot, then he can definitely score over 20 goals, but that's because he'll be surrounded by Gabby and Brad.
its not a bad idea to try out. my guess is, by the end of the season, every rangers player will have played on the left side of that duo...i have a feeling its going to be a revolving door to find someone to complement them. In the end i think the best guy for that job would have been Chris Kreider, and this year. big body, fast, skilled, offensive talent galore, goes to the net. woulda been perfect.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
yeah, youre banking on him improving in that case. if not, youve committed 3 years to a guy who really has no offensive ability sans a very outrageous first 60 games of last season or whatever, with the Rangers have TONS of young prospects who are chomping at the bit ready to take a spot.

Who are our "tons of prospects" at center? We don't have a single center rankedi n our top-10 and the best center available is the 19-year-old Oscar Lindberg, who's at least a couple of years away. By the time Lindberg is ready for fully-time, real minutes duty, Boyle's contract will be over.

And if Lindberg shocks everyone and is ready by October 2012, I am sure we can trade Boyle with no problem so long as his contract is under $2 and he puts in at least a mildly respectable output in 2011-12.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
chip chipperson*

now pressure is on boyle to put up same numbers

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Lets not forget how good he was on the PK and how well his line played at even strength... Boyle finished with 240 hits (led the team), 86 blocks (led all forwards), and was a +2 on the season, compared to Callahan being a -7. There is certainly more value to Boyle's game then just his offensive production. Boyle's got a lot of character, and he's a Torts type of guy. Doesn't strike me as a player who's going to let himself digress... I think he will push himself to continue to play well.
agreed, which is why i dont want him off the team altogether or anything. i just dont want him overpaid. ppl may be like...oh whats 750k here or there. if you overpay 10 guys by 750k, thats 7.5 mil in wasted cap space, that 7.5 mil could get you another elite player.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Of course right after they re-sign Boyle, my blog is down under maintenance so I can't put up an article...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I'm expecting a very manageable cap hit here, in which case, this will be a really good signing for us. Unless I'm wrong in my expectations, locking up Boyle for 3 years is a good move; he'll always be a solid 4th line center and PKer at the least and has room to improve/impress.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:42 PM
azrok22

I was expecting $1.5m x 2 years. With the Rangers buying up an additional UFA year, I'm going to guess $1.75m x 3 years.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I was expecting $1.5m x 2 years. With the Rangers buying up an additional UFA year, I'm going to guess $1.75m x 3 years.
Yea, thats what i'm expecting.

1.50M - 1st year
1.75M - 2nd year
2.00M - 3rd year

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
mti79

Like everyone else, I'm going to reserve final judgment until I see the numbers but I'm happy we resigned him. 3 years is good term if he can continue to play like he did last season. And my fiancee will be happy since she's a big fan of his and will be able to root for him for the next 3 years.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote