HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

J.T. Miller has Change of Heart, Going to OHL not NCAA

Old
07-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
A guy named Tyler Seguin played for Plymouth also, he looks like he could be a keeper.
Not saying the OHL doesn't develop players. I just think the NCAA especially UND do a great job of getting kids ready for the NHL. JT would have gotten a ton of ice time with the Sioux as I would bet money he would of been on the first line. Again UNDs track record speaks for itself.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Not saying the OHL doesn't develop players. I just think the NCAA especially UND do a great job of getting kids ready for the NHL. JT would have gotten a ton of ice time with the Sioux as I would bet money he would of been on the first line. Again UNDs track record speaks for itself.
I wasn't putting ND down or doubt you, i just preferred seeing him go the Junior route, since its usually a quicker development since its more hockey focused (more games, less school, more practice, etc)

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Ah really? I read so much back and forth stuff what player is playing what these days when it comes to the forward position. I'll take your word on it then.
Both Clark and Gorton believe center is his best position. If you go to Blueshirts United, they have post-draft video from both Clark and Gorton saying pretty much the same thing.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I would have preferred North Dakota. Oh well.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Not that happy with this. NoDak is a top notch developmental school with a proven track record of developing really, really good players. Miller is the prototypical guy who would benefit greatly in college. I just don't see how the OHL helps his development at all.
Really man?

Pros:
-72 game schedule instead of ~45 games
-1st line ice time + PP time in OHL (20-25 min per game) compared to 10-15 min per game as a freshman in college
- More minutes in a more offensive role will only help advance his offensive skills and confidence

If you're only going to play a year in college or the OHL before turning pro, the OHL is by far a better option for Miller, IMO

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Really man?

Pros:
-72 game schedule instead of ~45 games
-1st line ice time + PP time in OHL (20-25 min per game) compared to 10-15 min per game as a freshman in college
- More minutes in a more offensive role will only help advance his offensive skills and confidence

If you're only going to play a year in college or the OHL before turning pro, the OHL is by far a better option for Miller, IMO
Like I said before he would of gotten alot more ice time than 10-15 minutes a game.The Sioux lost 7 of their top 8 goal scorers from last year and he was going to be relied on heavily. Oh well it's not like the first time this has happened. Again I wish him nothing but the best.

Another thing he will miss out on is playing in a world class arena with a world class weight room with all the bells and whistles. Just saying.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Like I said before he would of gotten alot more ice time than 10-15 minutes a game.The Sioux lost 7 of their top 8 goal scorers from last year and he was going to be relied on heavily. Oh well it's not like the first time this has happened. Again I wish him nothing but the best.

Another thing he will miss out on is playing in a world class arena with a world class weight room with all the bells and whistles. Just saying.
The NCAA has to do something to amp up its commitments of top tier talent. Now whether or not that involves potentially their big ten conference we'll see. But some of the top teams like Yale are still not allowed to give scholarships.

Some sort of an agreement that would allow players to play in the NCAA while under pro contract would be nice, albeit against NCAA regulations.

07-14-2011, 04:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Eh.

He's going to be bigger and stronger then a lot of the kiddies he will be running over.

Really prefer he play against grown adults 20-23 years old, and his two way game better not regress due to the premium put on offense in the CHL.

Silver lining is he will play more games, but that's about it, IMO.

He talked about wanting a guaranteed ELC if he chose the CHL route at the request of his drafting team, hope that comes in the coming days.

He had a lot of ice time and a big role lined up for him at UND. Plymouth better put him in a big role.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:00 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I think I am missing something. I thought that the OHL was a high level of competition and fastest way to turn pro. Isn't that good?
Not to mention longer seasons. CHL is the way to go, although not so much QMJHL imo.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:02 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Eh.

He's going to be bigger and stronger then a lot of the kiddies he will be running over.

Really prefer he play against grown adults 20-23 years old, and his two way game better not regress due to the premium put on offense in the CHL.

Silver lining is he will play more games, but that's about it, IMO.

He talked about wanting a guaranteed ELC if he chose the CHL route at the request of his drafting team, hope that comes in the coming days.

He had a lot of ice time and a big role lined up for him at UND. Plymouth better put him in a big role.
Yeah, I'd much rather he were playing against more mature opponents and learning team/system based play a bit better than major junior players seem to.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:07 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Totally agree.
Nah, you're not biased. Lol.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm also not sold on him only playing one year and then turning pro. Even if he wanted to do that, he can't now.

Whatever though, it's not like he chose to do it. The organization wanted him to. Hopefully they chose what's best for him in the long run.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Nah, you're not biased. Lol.
Ha just a little. Life goes on. Go Sioux!!!!

Old
07-14-2011, 05:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm also not sold on him only playing one year and then turning pro. Even if he wanted to do that, he can't now.

Whatever though, it's not like he chose to do it. The organization wanted him to. Hopefully they chose what's best for him in the long run.
He wasn't in the CHL when drafted, he can go Pro whenever he wants.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:14 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Sigh. Yes, he can.

Are there really this many people who STILL don't understand the rule?

Miller was not drafted out of the CHL. That means he can play in the AHL now if the Rangers wanted him to. Grachev was drafted out of Europe, played 1 year in the OHL then went right to the AHL. Miller can do the same thing.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Ratelleitlikeitis

Nice,looking forward to seeing him visit Sarnia and play against Yakupov and Galyenchuk. Should be an exciting season here!

Ratelleitlikeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Ha just a little. Life goes on. Go Sioux!!!!
Im disappointed for you guys. UND was a great fit for Miller.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Not that happy with this. NoDak is a top notch developmental school with a proven track record of developing really, really good players. Miller is the prototypical guy who would benefit greatly in college. I just don't see how the OHL helps his development at all.
Agree 100%.

Awful decision IMO.

He had huge minutes and a top role lined up at UND.

He better not be dicked around in Plymouth.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Agree. North Dakota is a great program and I think the competition would be just a bit higher if he went there.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Dakota Sioux

Love the last 3 posts. You guys get it.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:34 PM
petejudge

for guys who need a few years of development the ncaa is definitely the better route. miller is a guy who sees himself, and who the rangers see as being a guy who could be playing in the nhl in a year or two. the ohl is perfect for getting these guys getting nhl-talent players ready to play at the next level. i could see him doing a year in plymouth, a year in hartford, and then being up with the rangers. things would be much stickier if he committed to UND and then wanted to bail after a year with only 45 games of non-high school competition under his belt.

i'm not putting down ncaa hockey, but it makes complete sense why they would want him to make this move.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Agree 100%.

Awful decision IMO.

He had huge minutes and a top role lined up at UND.

He better not be dicked around in Plymouth.
He's going to get the same thing in Plymouth.

You mean he better not be dicked around how like Krieder has been his first two years in the NCAA?

Great decision by him and the Rangers.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

You mean he better not be dicked around how like Krieder has been his first two years in the NCAA?

North Dakota and BC? Apples and oranges. Huge difference in how the two programs operate.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
North Dakota and BC? Apples and oranges. Huge difference in how the two programs operate.
No doubt. UND knows how to get guys ready for the next level. They have been doing it for years. They play a pro style of hockey and are probably the most physical team in all of college hockey. BC is far from that.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

As far as talent it's pretty much a wash IMO. The difference is he'll be playing against mostly 16-19 year olds in the OHL. At North Dakota he'd be playing against bigger, stronger players mostly in their 20's. Miller already is a big, strong player but there would be more push back in the WCHA--maybe the numbers wouldn't turn out as great but the challenge for him would be greater.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote