HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wojtek Wolski

Old
07-14-2011, 03:09 PM
rangersfan111

vCash: 500
Wojtek Wolski

I keep hearing Rangers fans beg for Wolski to be traded or at least be bought out. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea. This is his contract year which is when players decide to step it up. He is training extremely hard this summer and is determined to be the 50 point producer he once was. I want to see him on the Rangers lineup next year, whether its on the first line with Richards, the second line with Callahan or the third line with Stepan. I think this guy can be a real asset to the team next year and I want to see what he is made of.

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I think its a bad idea right now, and it wouldnt be the end of the world to go into this season with him as a top 6 LW.

But I would absolutely love if a better option presented itself in the next couple of months - Im just not sure one will.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
I keep hearing Rangers fans beg for Wolski to be traded or at least be bought out. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea. This is his contract year which is when players decide to step it up. He is training extremely hard this summer and is determined to be the 50 point producer he once was. I want to see him on the Rangers lineup next year, whether its on the first line with Richards, the second line with Callahan or the third line with Stepan. I think this guy can be a real asset to the team next year and I want to see what he is made of.
Completley agree and since working with Underhill is NOT a requirement as a Ranger, i personally also see his attitude and will for the game change too. He seems to have turned a corner this offseason and taking it upon himself to get better. Give the kid a chance on the top 3 lines and lets see how he does.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Vitto79

I want him to stay and I think he will

Not sure why everyone wants to get rid of a talented guy. Yea he has been known to not give 100% but if he does'nt then he will be benched.

So give the 25 yr old who has scored around 20 goals a few yrs in the league a chance

This team needs offense and Wolski may be able to provide that. Its only a 1 yr gamble and they have the space to keep him and sign the RFAs so it would be dumb to dump him

and don't say sign Prospal casue most of thought his career was over last yr. Good for him for coming back but no pt to go back to that well

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I have to disagree... If anything, the fact that it's a contract year and he already carries a $3.9 mil cap hit is alarming. If he shows up this season, what kind of contract are you going to re-sign him to? Would you not be concerned about his consistency issues moving forward or question why he was able to put together a productive season leading up to his contract expiring? He's not worth the price tag IMHO... If you get 50 points from Dubinsky and Callahan, and look at what they additionally provide, in terms of leadership, defensive play, PK ability, and grit & toughness, and then compare that to getting 50 points from Wolski, and what little he provides in those other areas, you can see how the value in terms of contributions from those players, is quite different. Wolski is going to be a career journeyman until he figures out how to stop being so darn inconsistent.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I have to disagree... If anything, the fact that it's a contract year and he already carries a $3.9 mil cap hit is alarming. If he shows up this season, what kind of contract are you going to re-sign him to? Would you not be concerned about his consistency issues moving forward or question why he was able to put together a productive season leading up to his contract expiring? He's not worth the price tag IMHO... If you get 50 points from Dubinsky and Callahan, and look at what they additionally provide, in terms of leadership, defensive play, PK ability, and grit & toughness, and then compare that to getting 50 points from Wolski, and what little he provides in those other areas, you can see how the value in terms of contributions from those players, is quite different. Wolski is going to be a career journeyman until he figures out how to stop being so darn inconsistent.
I dont get what is so difficult about all of this. Wolski unless he shows he is worth the cap hit, will be gone regardless of how well or poorly he plays. So the QO or all the ******** of next season makes no sense.. Next year is the year when players like Krieder and Thomas will be ready. Wolski is a stop gap player for this year ONLY. If he has a great year then its up to managment to see if he is worth that cap hit, otherwise WE DONT HAVE TO SIGN HIM FOR NEXT YEAR.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
I dont get what is so difficult about all of this. Wolski unless he shows he is worth the cap hit, will be gone regardless of how well or poorly he plays. So the QO or all the ******** of next season makes no sense.. Next year is the year when players like Krieder and Thomas will be ready. Wolski is a stop gap player for this year ONLY. If he has a great year then its up to managment to see if he is worth that cap hit, otherwise WE DONT HAVE TO SIGN HIM FOR NEXT YEAR.
I'm sorry what are you failing to comprehend here? He said he hoped that Wolski had a great year and that we would re-sign him... My opinion is that he's not worth the price tag and doesn't bring enough to the table, so I don't see any long term future for him with the organization. Did I say he should be bought out? No... Rangers are not going to commit to a lucrative contract to a player who only showed up significantly in his contract year. What's your problem here? If you don't like my opinion, move along.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:32 PM
DudleyDoWright5

Send a message via AIM to DudleyDoWright5
Quote:
I like Wolski a lot, and i'd think he would be great in the top line with Richards and Gabby. I wouldn't give up on him yet. He is training with Barb Underhilll (thats what I heard) and hopefully that helps in improve his game, like it did for Boyle.

If he doesn't perform, Slats could always ship him somewhere at the deadline, i mean, Slats did trade Gomez, you know

DudleyDoWright5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
I am hoping to see Wolski on top line.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Honestly, nobody seems to like Wolski here but I was PSYCHED when we acquired him as I had loved him in Colorado when he was younger and was saying "Told you!" when he had his breakout year between COL/PHX. Last year, when he was in PHX I was just saying "eh, it's a down year, still young and has time to find his consistency". When he came here, he didn't play great by any stretch of the imagination, but was on pace for 40+ points in his time here which isn't anything to sneeze at necessarily either, and he spent a lot of time playing with... not the most offensively gifted players.

My opinion? Call me crazy, but I think Wolski could be a perennial 60+ point player playing on Richards' wing. A lot of top offensive talent's float and are opportunistic. We couldn't afford it last year necessarily because we needed anyone with a drop of talent to CREATE, not look for the opportunities to present themselves, but a line of Wolski, Richards and Gaborik simply has TOO much talent to not be deadly. Add in the contract year, like you said, and I think Wolski is going to surprise a LOT of people.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:50 PM
NYRKING30

the only way i see wolski not being on this team in october is if we acquired a better option for the first line otherwise the rangers won't just dump him. richards really might be just what wolski needs.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
district9

my only problem with a wolski-richards-gaborik line is that if the puck starts moving the other way who the hell is gonna play defense? against grinding forwards who is going to be able to play with a little grit and get into the dirty areas? it's worth a shot but i'm just worried about how productive it could actually be. i know he wasn't particularly productive last year on the third line but i think it would make sense to be centered by anisimov and another gritty playmaker.

wolski has immense talent and he should absolutely be brought back this season, i don't really think anybody thinks he won't be. however unless he has some breakout 25+ goal season on an extremely productive line with gaborik and richards i don't see him getting resigned since we have so many good young guys who play more of the rangers style and also have scoring ability (kreider, miller, thomas, etc.)

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
my only problem with a wolski-richards-gaborik line is that if the puck starts moving the other way who the hell is gonna play defense? against grinding forwards who is going to be able to play with a little grit and get into the dirty areas? it's worth a shot but i'm just worried about how productive it could actually be. i know he wasn't particularly productive last year on the third line but i think it would make sense to be centered by anisimov and another gritty playmaker.

wolski has immense talent and he should absolutely be brought back this season, i don't really think anybody thinks he won't be. however unless he has some breakout 25+ goal season on an extremely productive line with gaborik and richards i don't see him getting resigned since we have so many good young guys who play more of the rangers style and also have scoring ability (kreider, miller, thomas, etc.)
Agreed on both accounts... Torts demands defensive accountability from any lines garnering big minutes, and if Wolski and Gaborik are not going to commit to playing well defensively, I think that trio is an unlikely combination.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Pizza

He has done very little to make me believe in him as a player. Loads of talent, but a lack of grit, hustle and drive make him a very unappealing player. I just don't see where he fits on a team that has the identity the Rangers have.

What am I missing?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
As I said in another thread, I think the success of next season hinges largely on two things happening.

1. MDZ rebounding with decent 3rd pair minutes and QB duties for the second PP unit.
2. Wolski clicking with Richards and Gabby on the top line. That would allow the Pack line to stay together and ensure outstanding scoring depth and balance in our top 9.

I think it would be downright stupid to buy him out, because you won't find a better top 6 LW option this year anyway, outside of trading for one and giving up real assets when we're not quite ready to be contenders. Keeping him is a low risk high reward no-brainer. If he wants too much money after a good year we can always walk away.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Ryan Callahan heart + Wolski skill set = one of the best players in the game.

If Wolski could ever get his head out of his ass he would be a legitimate superstar.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:19 PM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
He has done very little to make me believe in him as a player. Loads of talent, but a lack of grit, hustle and drive make him a very unappealing player. I just don't see where he fits on a team that has the identity the Rangers have.

What am I missing?
what are you missing? well, hustle and drive are things that can develop in the right environment..when you're surrounded by guys who learned to elevate their game by being grittier, tougher players who hustle and work hard then sometimes it rubs off on you. natural talent isn't something you can teach. it's not often you come across a guy with wolski's talent, each team have maybe 2 or 3, but he hasn't realized his full potential yet.

maybe this is the year that wolski realizes that he can become an elite player if he works harder. maybe working with boyle and underhill will help him mature and grow up a bit, teach him how to play the game the way the rangers want it to be played. maybe it won't change him, but it's worth a shot. this guy's talent level is unbelievable but if he's 26 and can't play a little defense or get into the dirty areas then theres a chance he'll never get it and we can dump him at the end of the year.

unless we can trade him as part of a package for something better (which i don't see happening) there's absolutely no reason to not give wolski a chance this year

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:20 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Ryan Callahan heart + Wolski skill set = one of the best players in the game.

If Wolski could ever get his head out of his ass he would be a legitimate superstar.
So would Zherdev, etc.

You can't teach hockey sense; something Wolski is severely lacking in. Callahan's brain + Wolski's skill set = one of the best players in the game.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
rangersfan111

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'm sorry what are you failing to comprehend here? He said he hoped that Wolski had a great year and that we would re-sign him... My opinion is that he's not worth the price tag and doesn't bring enough to the table, so I don't see any long term future for him with the organization. Did I say he should be bought out? No... Rangers are not going to commit to a lucrative contract to a player who only showed up significantly in his contract year. What's your problem here? If you don't like my opinion, move along.
just to clarify ... i never said re-sign him

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
SML

We may as well keep him at this point. The guy has skills, it's a contract year, and we finally have a true #1 center on the team. All the stars are aligned for him to have a decent season. As far as Qualifying him, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We were all talking about buying him out anyway not long ago. Act as if he's a rental for this season only, except he's already paid for. There's no point in dumping him only to give up a second rounder or prospects later on to get someone to play the same role. If he isn't producing, we trade him away for whatever we can get. If he does produce, we got what we were looking for without giving anyone else up. There's really no risk involved here at this point. We can always let him walk after the season, whether he was good or bad.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
just to clarify ... i never said re-sign him
Yeah, I get that now. I was thrown off by "next season" part as I read it quickly while at work

Old
07-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
So would Zherdev, etc.

You can't teach hockey sense; something Wolski is severely lacking in. Callahan's brain + Wolski's skill set = one of the best players in the game.
Haha sting has taught you well young padawan. I agree. I feel what Zherdev, Wolski and most insanely skilled but not productive players lack is more brains than heart.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:18 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
man, another Wolski thread? If nothing else, I wish he was bought out so we could stop talking about him.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
We may as well keep him at this point. The guy has skills, it's a contract year, and we finally have a true #1 center on the team. All the stars are aligned for him to have a decent season. As far as Qualifying him, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We were all talking about buying him out anyway not long ago. Act as if he's a rental for this season only, except he's already paid for. There's no point in dumping him only to give up a second rounder or prospects later on to get someone to play the same role. If he isn't producing, we trade him away for whatever we can get. If he does produce, we got what we were looking for without giving anyone else up. There's really no risk involved here at this point. We can always let him walk after the season, whether he was good or bad.
this. well said mate.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I'm a Wolski fan, but consistency is definitely his bugaboo.

Having said that, I think it's a very good sign that he went to train with Underhill. I would hardly say that skating was a big problem for him, so I think that making that effort is indicative of both a dedication and willingness to do whatever the team asks of him that many accuse him of lacking. My guess is that on breakup day when they had their meeting Torts laid down the law and said, "look son, if you want to be a part of this team, this is what you need to do" and he's trying to do it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote