HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto FC 2013 Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
was at TFC vs Seattle last night. we played well, had chances, but still ended up losing 1 - 0 to a ten man Seattle. they got it on a nice free kick.

just can't seam to find a way to score goals this year. TFC are almost in the basement and will be once they make up the games in hand they have on us.

disappointing...

Old
06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
5und1n

tfc have just signed former german international torsten frings along side dutch striker danny koevermans

Old
06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
MarcWagz

if TFC lose tonight they will be secured in a deserving last place

not even the best team in Canada.
out of 2.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
nick942

Hopefully these new signing will help TFC defensively and offensively. Frings is fairly large name coming over, although he is quite old I'm excited to see what he brings to the team.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:20 PM
PlietscherDassel

Well the "Lutscher" is still a good player and almost everybody in Germany expected him to stay in the Bundesliga. "Lutscher" has always been a huge fan of North America. That and a decent contract should be the main reasons for him to come and play for Toronto. I think he will be a nice addition.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:36 PM
TMLeafer

Good signings. Still need someone on defence with Cann and Williams out.

Also, FINALLY a win in MLS. TFC beats Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 on Soolsma's 2nd half penalty. Soolsma and Plata were great today. And it was pristine soccer weather.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:47 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Wow, loved Frings in his prime. Great player. Hope he has something left.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:29 PM
TMLeafer

Also, would it kill MLSE to take games off GOLTV and put them on TSN. MUCH better and much more accessible. GOLTV is a mess that needs to be shut down.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:54 PM
JohnnyO

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Also, would it kill MLSE to take games off GOLTV and put them on TSN. MUCH better and much more accessible. GOLTV is a mess that needs to be shut down.
This has really bothered me this year. A large potion of the games are broadcast on GolTV and they don't seem to do their broadcasts in HD.
I know last year they would have some HD feeds on the HD preview channel, but they don't seem to be doing that this year.
I don't mind paying a bit extra on my cable bill for a sports channel but the fact I'm being charged to watch a mediocre team without the option of HD irritates me.
All of Vancouver's games are on Sportsnet or TSN; therefore I assume almost all of their games are in HD. If TFC weren't owned by MLSE the games would probably be shown on regular channels and be in HD.
Before this year I think I've probably seen every TFC game from the start, this year I find myself missing more and more games.

Last edited by JohnnyO: 06-30-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old
06-29-2011, 11:34 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Same...I've lost a lot of interest in the team since I gave up my seasons + a lot of games aren't on my cable package.

I was going to head off to the match Saturday, but there's no way in hell I'm missing Doc's return. Hopefully they make it to the CCL since those are my favourite matches to attend.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:36 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

We signed Frings?? NICE!

Old
06-30-2011, 02:02 AM
IceDogsandLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
We signed Frings?? NICE!
Heck ya. A player with his experience on the world stage can only help this team

Old
07-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Toronto FC are your 2011 Canadian Champions!

Old
07-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Cruiser008

Holy crap TFC signed Torsten Frings! (and Danny Koevermans)

Now the question is do these guys have anything left.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:26 AM
TMLeafer

A fantastic game today. Great win boys!

Old
07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
TMLeafer

..and back to reality.

TFC assaulted, thrashed, embarrassed 5-0 at NY.

Old
07-10-2011, 02:03 PM
TMLeafer

...and they lost again in Houston.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:31 PM
abnormal

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...pair-of-trades

2 Big Transactions for TFC

1)
Toronto gets:
Terry Dunfield

Vancouver gets:
$$$ + future considerations
-------------------------------

2)
Toronto gets:
Ryan Johnson (Jamaican International Striker)
$$$
International Roster Spot

San Jose gets:
Nana Attakora
Alan Gordon
Jacob Peterson
-----------

My take?

I liked Gordon alot when he was healthy.
Replaced with Johnson who is only 26 so won't have to wait to get his prime years, he's there right now. He's not much smaller than Gordon at 6 ft 1 (vs Gordon's 6 ft 3) so he still has the height to play a similar game.
5 goals in 13 appearances for Jamaica not too shabby.

Sad to see Attakora go. Homegrown and was really a stud in the back 4 but something obviously happened this year as he fell out of favour with Winter, De Klerk and the coaching staff.
Peterson is a non-factor for me. Easily replaceable I think.

As for Dunfield, I'm not so sure about the move. Yea he's a Canadian international and he will probably be well liked in Toronto. He'll be a steady midfield presence but really can't see this paying off too much. I'll be glad to eat my words, but at best I see this as a stopgap in our midfield to provide leadership to some of the young midfielders coming up or already in the lineup.

As always, time will tell

Last edited by abnormal: 07-14-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnormal View Post

1)
Toronto gets:
Terry Dunfield

Vancouver gets:

2)

Toronto gets:
$$$

San Jose gets:
Nana Attakora
Alan Gordon
Jacob Peterson
-----------

My take?

Replaced with Johnson who is only 26 so won't have to wait to get his prime years, he's there right now. He's not much smaller than Gordon at 6 ft 1 (vs Gordon's 6 ft 3) so he still has the height to play a similar game.

Sad to see Attakora go. Homegrown and was really a stud in the back 4 but something obviously happened this year as he fell out of favour with Winter, De Klerk and the coaching staff.

As for Dunfield, I'm not so sure about the move. Yea he's a Canadian international and he will probably be well liked in Toronto. He'll be a steady midfield presence but really can't see this paying off too much. I'll be glad to eat my words, but at best I see this as a stopgap in our midfield to provide leadership to some of the young midfielders coming up or already in the lineup.

Going to miss Gordon. He was good for us when he played. Definetely hope Johnson can fill the hole. Losing Peterson is meh and Attakora obviously wasn't going to play much with TFC. Don't know why Winter didn't like him.

As for Dunfield, I hated him when he played against us. Hope he can help our midfield.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnormal View Post

1)
Toronto gets:
Terry Dunfield

Vancouver gets:

2)
Toronto gets:
$$$

San Jose gets:
Nana Attakora
Alan Gordon
Jacob Peterson
-----------

My take?

I'm glad to see changes. Our whole team stinks and it shouldn't. There is a vibrant fanbase here in T.O for soccer but MLSE has squandered much of it.

Lets just hope with the building of the new academy, TFC get much more funds and attention and can start climbing the ladder.

Even though they have been so terrible, they are well within striking range of any position on the table

Old
07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

just can't seam to find a way to score goals this year.
Yeah, it's almost like trading away the player that scored a majority of the team's goals last year somehow made the team worse....

Old
07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Your right. Dero is so good that trading him is the reason why we can not score. Trading him is also the reason why we gave up 7 goals in 2 games. He was such a great person that New York is laughing at us right now with how well he is playing for them... oh wait.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
Your right. Dero is so good that trading him is the reason why we can not score. Trading him is also the reason why we gave up 7 goals in 2 games. He was such a great person that New York is laughing at us right now with how well he is playing for them... oh wait.
lol

I agree that getting rid of Dero was very important.

I just hope Winter gets some real time to build this club. Very hard to turn things around in a short time in soccer. Especially when your local, home grown talent is utter crap.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Haven't followed the team lately, has Frings made any difference? He was always a defensive minded midfielder so guessing he can still play despite his age.

Maybe ticket prices (for the side seats) will go down next year if this trend continues or is that too much to ask?

I would prefer the signing of in-form players who can make an impact rather than big names like Frings. The team has a fan base and doesn't need big names as much as guys who'll actually help them win.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Haven't followed the team lately, has Frings made any difference? He was always a defensive minded midfielder so guessing he can still play despite his age.

Maybe ticket prices (for the side seats) will go down next year if this trend continues or is that too much to ask?

I would prefer the signing of in-form players who can make an impact rather than big names like Frings. The team has a fan base and doesn't need big names as much as guys who'll actually help them win.
Well I think the problem is two-fold. In soccer, it is difficult to attract the real talent to North America as it is. I think that you have to acquire a player like Frings and Koevermans(?) because they will help the club and give some credibility to it as well.

With the new academy on the way, their experience will only help. The biggest problem with the club right now is that Aron Winter is implementing a new system but does not have the players he needs to make that system work. A guy like Frings can still help control the midfield and hopefully bring a guy like De Guzman along further.

Koevermans has played this system extensively.

These new acquisitions seem to be about adding some ball control into our starting XI which is where we need improvements desperately.

A 4-3-3 is a heavy possession based system.

I think we are going in the right direction. When we get a good team together, it will be beautiful to watch.

Closed Thread