HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bowman confident in his young centers

Old
07-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
On the other hand Bolland had good chemistry with Bickell and Frolik in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to break them up before giving them a good go to see if there was something there. If it turns out to be a flash in the pan, then why not give him a go with Hossa, although I have a recollection that a Bolland-Hossa pairing has been tried and it didn't work as well as the Ladd-Bolland-Havlat line (which was indeed a very good line) and that's why Hossa-Sharp ended up playing a lot together.
Sounds like you missed a big part of last season. Before his concussion, Bolland was doing a PPG over his previous 20+ games while centering for Hossa, while Sharp was on the LW for Toews and Kane and they were kicking ass in their own right. The Hawks ridiculous hot streak was all during this stretch, and the hot streak ended immediately upon Bolland getting the concussion.

To me it's very important that the Hawks find a 3rd line center than can do a decent job. It seems Kruger is getting that shot first and hopefully it works out, because it makes our 1st and 2nd lines MUCH stronger.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:18 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
Bolland was an absolutely nasty offensive player in Juniors and I think thats what he naturally is. He got molded into a defensive player and because he is so good at shutting guys down, we forget about his offense. I think he will break out next season playing with more offensive guys and won't lose a step defensively.
He played with London Knights like a year or two before Kane and Bolland had ridiculous offensive numbers I thought I would post them...
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2000–01 Toronto Red Wings GTHL 95 79 67 146 — — — — — —
2001–02 Toronto Red Wings GTHL 36 35 35 70 40 — — — — —
2002–03 London Knights OHL 64 7 10 17 21 14 2 1 3 2
2003–04 London Knights OHL 65 37 30 67 58 15 3 10 13 18
2004–05 London Knights OHL 66 34 51 85 97 18 11 14 25 30
2005–06 London Knights OHL 59 57 73 130 104 15 15 9 24 41

His 57 goals 73 assists 130 points in London are comparable to Kane's the year he was #1 overall... Bolland's offensive numbers his last year with the Knights are better than Jeremy Morin's junior numbers.

He can hit 60-65 points with Hossa and Hossa can hit 80 points if they play together on the 2 line and stay healthy. I think I would be happy with 70 games out of them this year.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:21 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
He played with London Knights like a year or two before Kane and Bolland had ridiculous offensive numbers I thought I would post them...
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2000–01 Toronto Red Wings GTHL 95 79 67 146 — — — — — —
2001–02 Toronto Red Wings GTHL 36 35 35 70 40 — — — — —
2002–03 London Knights OHL 64 7 10 17 21 14 2 1 3 2
2003–04 London Knights OHL 65 37 30 67 58 15 3 10 13 18
2004–05 London Knights OHL 66 34 51 85 97 18 11 14 25 30
2005–06 London Knights OHL 59 57 73 130 104 15 15 9 24 41

His 57 goals 73 assists 130 points in London are comparable to Kane's the year he was #1 overall... Bolland's offensive numbers his last year with the Knights are better than Jeremy Morin's junior numbers.

He can hit 60-65 points with Hossa and Hossa can hit 80 points if they play together on the 2 line and stay healthy. I think I would be happy with 70 games out of them this year.
130 points in 59 games monster year!

Old
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I knew Bolland was a huge offensive threat in London... but I've never bothered to check out his stats. He scored at nearly a goal per game pace in his 4th year. And over 2PPG. That's incredible...

I think in Bolland's case, he was adapting to the NHL and trying to find a niche for himself when he first joined. He was good defensively but had a bit to prove offensively. In his healthiest and fullest season in 08-09, he posted 47 points with Ladd and Havlat. Although he's been struck by injury the past couple of years, I think he's come a long way. Given a healthy season, I really do think he could post 55+ points and establish himself as a 2nd line center along with superb defense. I'm excited for him this coming season.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Cullksinikers

I wouldn't be opposed to Bolland as the second line center as long as we have a guy on the roster who can be a third line center. I'd rather see Smith than Kruger on the third line. Yes, I know Smith is a winger most of the time, but Bowman said he played a lot of center in Rockford and seemed comfortable with the idea. If this is the case, I think Smith has proven more than Kruger so far to be a third line player.

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Brunette-Bolland-Hossa
Bickell-Smith-Frolik
Carcillo-Kruger-Mayers
Stalberg(?)/Olesz(?)

However, toward the end of the season, I believe Kruger has the ability to learn and execute and get the chance on the third line. I just don't see how they think he's ready for the third line yet. Smith held his own playing with guys like Kane, Toews, and Hossa.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I knew Bolland was a huge offensive threat in London... but I've never bothered to check out his stats. He scored at nearly a goal per game pace in his 4th year. And over 2PPG. That's incredible...

I think in Bolland's case, he was adapting to the NHL and trying to find a niche for himself when he first joined. He was good defensively but had a bit to prove offensively. In his healthiest and fullest season in 08-09, he posted 47 points with Ladd and Havlat. Although he's been struck by injury the past couple of years, I think he's come a long way. Given a healthy season, I really do think he could post 55+ points and establish himself as a 2nd line center along with superb defense. I'm excited for him this coming season.
That's how I see it. He has been limited by his injuries and he has also been limited by being stuck on the third line, where he not only gets put in to a checking/defensive role, but also plays with inferior players than our top 6 guys have played with.

Short of Evgeni Malkin, who is a #1 center pretty much everywhere except playing on the same team as Crosby, I don't see why Bolly can't be one of the best #2 centers in the NHL.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

too much talk about a story that was discussed to death...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
too much talk about a story that was discussed to death...
What else do you suggest we do. We need our hockey fix

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I know, but lets talk about Toews

last years offseason was an all Toews talk

Old
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
He was an overager, a 20 year old playing against kids, on the best junior hockey team ever assembled.

Don't get me wrong, he was great that season, but I wouldn't read all that much into it.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
He was an overager, a 20 year old playing against kids, on the best junior hockey team ever assembled.

Don't get me wrong, he was great that season, but I wouldn't read all that much into it.
The same advice should heeded with regards to Beach in his final junior year. Put up a ton of points and had a great season, but he was 19 going on 20. Very good season, but it makes a difference taking that into account.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:33 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

Right, except the best Junior team ever assembled was the year prior to Bolland's monster year and Bolland was 19, not an over-ager.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:36 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Right, except the best Junior team ever assembled was the year prior to Bolland's monster year and Bolland was 19, not an over-ager.
Yeah, you're right. Got mixed up for a second, there. My point still stands, though.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Got mixed up for a second, there. My point still stands, though.
It does, Bolland was still an older player and the Knights were still an excellent team that year.

Still, if Bolland can stay healthy, expecting 50-60 points out of him isn't a stretch. I'm sure he expects more of himself in the offensive department and when he got some real linemates a couple months into last season he did start to produce at an impressive and consistent pace.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Recoil

I'll tell you all this, think of the defensive prowess of this team if Kruger does develop well into a #3 C role.

First line you would have Toews (Selke nominee) and Sharp does decent at defense as well.

Second line you would have Bolland and Hossa who are both very sound defensivle

Third line Kruger centering our shut-down line with Frolik and possibly Smith or Bickell.

That is some solid two-way play from our top 3 lines.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
RomersWorld*

I agree Bolland has a lot of offensive potential but I wouldn't look too much into his year on the Knights. Robby Schremp had 145 points that year and what has he done in the NHL? Pretty much considered a bust. He really has some sick dangles though sometimes. Still young and could turn it around like Bergenheim(in the playoffs) but still.

I think Bolland could put up 60 points this season. He just needs to stay healthy. It seems every time he is turning a corner he gets more back problems or gets a concussion like this year.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:09 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I agree Bolland has a lot of offensive potential but I wouldn't look too much into his year on the Knights. Robby Schremp had 145 points that year and what has he done in the NHL? Pretty much considered a bust. He really has some sick dangles though sometimes. Still young and could turn it around like Bergenheim(in the playoffs) but still.

I think Bolland could put up 60 points this season. He just needs to stay healthy. It seems every time he is turning a corner he gets more back problems or gets a concussion like this year.
Schremp and Bolland aren't even comparables. Bolland is a good skater who's responsible defensively, Schremp is a poor skater who could care less about defense.

Schremp is the better player with time in the offensive zone, unfortunately you play far more of the game 5-on-5, in the defensive zone and neutral zone than you do in the offensive zone on a PP.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:00 PM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I'll tell you all this, think of the defensive prowess of this team if Kruger does develop well into a #3 C role.

First line you would have Toews (Selke nominee) and Sharp does decent at defense as well.

Second line you would have Bolland and Hossa who are both very sound defensivle

Third line Kruger centering our shut-down line with Frolik and possibly Smith or Bickell.

That is some solid two-way play from our top 3 lines.
I think this is exactly the team make-up they are looking to achieve on the Hawks. Have players across the board that are defensively aware and responsible first and foremost and the rest will follow, especially when there is a high amount of skill on the team.

And with the new way they are running the prospect camp it seems this sort of thinking and philosophy is going to be instilled from the start. Hopefully they will find the correct coaching staff for Rockford to have that continuity all the way to the big team. It's obvious they have a larger picture on what they consider "Blackhawks hockey". Having a continuity and identity is important going forward and will pay dividends for sure.

EmeticDonut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:03 PM
blackhacks17

Rogers

This is not Bowman's quote. Its Rogers's. Jesse Rogers is the only one of the Hawks writers speculating the 19-36-16-Mayers center group. He also speculated that Kruger's line would consist of Ben Smith at LW and Fro at RW. Clearly, a seasoned checking line. He pushed Bickell down to 4th line. I'm 100% convinced he has zero clue what he's talking about.

blackhacks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhacks17 View Post
This is not Bowman's quote. Its Rogers's. Jesse Rogers is the only one of the Hawks writers speculating the 19-36-16-Mayers center group. He also speculated that Kruger's line would consist of Ben Smith at LW and Fro at RW. Clearly, a seasoned checking line. He pushed Bickell down to 4th line. I'm 100% convinced he has zero clue what he's talking about.
It is Jesse so that is a pretty good likelyhood

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:02 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Bolland in his 3rd year at London played in all situations including PK and was very effctive for being the 2nd line center.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhacks17 View Post
Jesse seems to do good with interviews and things of that nature, but he draws REALLY poor conclusions from those interviews. Yes, Bickell on the 4th line? Put down the crack pipe Jesse.

What I tend to do with his stuff, is I read quotes that he gets from interviewing guys like Bowman and Coach Q, and I draw my own conclusions, which are usually considerable different than his, but far more accurate.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Blue Liner

Ok good, so I'm not the only one who thinks he doesn't know much of anything about the game of hockey?

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

others know more

but he has good information

Old
07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
LandofLincoln

Originally Posted by LandofLincoln

[Reply] [!!]

Yesterday | 03:25 PM
Blue Liner

Originally Posted by massivegoonery

The same advice should heeded with regards to Beach in his final junior year. Put up a ton of points and had a great season, but he was 19 going on 20. Very good season, but it makes a difference taking that into account.

Beach had massive numbers in juniors for the reason because of his size... His body is an NHL type body so juniors could not push him off the puck.

Bolland has never been big so his numbers are more impressive because it was skill that achieved the numbers not his body size.

A decent point could be made about his age.. but that is weak if that is the best argument. 130 points in 59 games for Dave Bolland simply says he is more than a defensive 3rd line center.