Notices

Ray Edwards offered assistant coach position

Old
07-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

vCash: 500
Ray Edwards offered assistant coach position

A league source confirmed the Jets have offered an assistant coach's position to Ray Edwards, who was the head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes AHL affiliate in San Antonio last season.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...125284823.html

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
A league source confirmed the Jets have offered an assistant coach's position to Ray Edwards, who was the head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes AHL affiliate in San Antonio last season.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...125284823.html
Apparently to coach the forwards. Another solid addition if he accepts.

07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Here's a little more info on him from the Coyotes NHL site.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534367

Old
07-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

This makes a lot of sense given what the Coyotes did with Dave King recently. First of all, Edwards was contracted to the Phoenix Coyotes. For the 2011-12 season, they are switching their AHL affiliate from the San Antonio Rampage to the Portland Pirates. A couple of days ago the Coyotes announced that Dave King was stepping down as assistant coach and was going to become a “development coach” and work extensively with the prospects in Portland.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Huffer

I don't know anything about him besides what it says in the article. He isn't one of the "name" coaches we have been talking about lately (Huddy, Maclean, Muller, MacTavish, etc), But TNSE must like what they see in him.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

At first I thought they were talking about the Vikings DE hahahahah

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Edwards turns down the job offer.

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/pi...011-07-13.html

Quote:
The NHL's Winnipeg Jets made new Portland Pirates head coach Ray Edwards an offer he just had to refuse.

"I just thought staying with Phoenix and coming to Portland from a family standpoint, a comfortability standpoint, this was the best thing to do," Edwards said Tuesday.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:56 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Well find someone else then.
I don't know anything about Edwards anyways

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Ironically, turning down the job probably endeared him to True North. He has grounded enough to know that being in Portland as head coach is better for his career. If he does well there, he should eventually get a head coaching position in the NHL. It takes a special person to delay gratification.

Old
07-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Que the people who worry that coaches don't want to coach in Winnipeg!

Old
07-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Well find someone else then.
I don't know anything about Edwards anyways
Neither do I. Is he really anything that great anyways?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Que the people who worry that coaches don't want to coach in Winnipeg!
This article has gone viral on AZCentral, with all the desert dwellers proclaiming that "no one wants to go to Winnipeg bahahahahahaha". It's quite sad, actually.

Old
07-14-2011, 07:59 AM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
This article has gone viral on AZCentral, with all the desert dwellers proclaiming that "no one wants to go to Winnipeg bahahahahahaha". It's quite sad, actually.
I am so in the ABP camp right now.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I am so in the ABP camp right now.
Hey, some of us still support the Coyotes as our 1B Club.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
Hey, some of us still support the Coyotes as our 1B Club.
And you can continue to support them in another city. I've just reached my limit with the Anti-Winnipeg comments that are still surfacing, even though we long stopped being a threat to their franchise. It's like, ooh I wouldn't mind if they move to QC, as long as they didn't go to that frozen ******** Winnipeg. At least their mod told them to... hmmm, didn't like my acronym, so I'll substitute... be quiet.

Last edited by Jet: 07-14-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Please don't circumvent the obscenity filter.
BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
And you can continue to support them in another city. I've just reached my limit with the Anti-Winnipeg comments that are still surfacing, even though we long stopped being a threat to their franchise. It's like, ooh I wouldn't mind if they move to QC, as long as they didn't go to that frozen ******** Winnipeg. At least their mod told them to... hmmm, didn't like my acronym, so I'll substitute... be quiet.
Honestly, I agree. I support Vosie's right to cheer for the Coyotes, and I think Winnipegger's brought a lot of this on ourselves by the rude and disrespectful manner we attacked Coyotes fans, Glendale, etc. etc. over the past few years.

However, it's over now. We did not get the Coyotes, the team still resides in Glendale. The fans of that team should be elated the city council put their necks on the line AGAIN to keep the team in town for another year. Instead of worrying about us in the frozen wasteland, they need to SUPPORT that team and keep it there.

I apologize for the off topic response. Ray Edwards probably just wanted to continue to be a head coach as opposed to being an assistant at this time. Maybe the Coyotes org has a plan for him.

It's fine by me, we will find another good candidate and move on.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Honestly, I agree. I support Vosie's right to cheer for the Coyotes, and I think Winnipegger's brought a lot of this on ourselves by the rude and disrespectful manner we attacked Coyotes fans, Glendale, etc. etc. over the past few years.

However, it's over now. We did not get the Coyotes, the team still resides in Glendale. The fans of that team should be elated the city council put their necks on the line AGAIN to keep the team in town for another year. Instead of worrying about us in the frozen wasteland, they need to SUPPORT that team and keep it there.

I apologize for the off topic response. Ray Edwards probably just wanted to continue to be a head coach as opposed to being an assistant at this time. Maybe the Coyotes org has a plan for him.

It's fine by me, we will find another good candidate and move on.
Just a comment regarding the bolded. I can't count how many times I read a thread regarding the Coyotes possibly going to Winnipeg over the last few years where after pages and pages of negativity Coyote fans would start to bash Winnipeg. But if you actually looked at the posters who were being overly negative, 9 out of 10 of them were not from Winnipeg.

Not saying that there were not some jerks from Winnipeg. But we seriously get over credited with the Coyote negativity talk.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Just a comment regarding the bolded. I can't count how many times I read a thread regarding the Coyotes possibly going to Winnipeg over the last few years where after pages and pages of negativity Coyote fans would start to bash Winnipeg. But if you actually looked at the posters who were being overly negative, 9 out of 10 of them were not from Winnipeg.

Not saying that there were not some jerks from Winnipeg. But we seriously get over credited with the Coyote negativity talk.
From what I’ve heard, the Phoenicians got burned so thoroughly by perceived Winnipeg firebombing that a portion of the supporters will take a small sense of satisfaction even if their team moves to Quebec. As they would say, at least it’s not Winnipeg.

Old
07-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
From what I’ve heard, the Phoenicians got burned so thoroughly by perceived Winnipeg firebombing that a portion of the supporters will take a small sense of satisfaction even if their team moves to Quebec. As they would say, at least it’s not Winnipeg.
They can say whatever they want, however that won't stop the threat of their team being relocated after this season. They have bigger fish to fry than worry and ***** about anything Winnipeg related anymore.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

Not saying that there were not some jerks from Winnipeg. But we seriously get over credited with the Coyote negativity talk
This, and this is why I hate Coyotes fans.