HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why not put Callahan as the first-line LW?

Old
07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

vCash: 500
Why not put Callahan as the first-line LW?

Like basically all of our forwards, he can play both sides. How come no one talks about moving Callahan to LW and let him play on the first-line with Richards and Gaborik?

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I don't think I've ever seen Callahan play the left side.

07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCenafearsTheRock View Post
Like basically all of our forwards, he can play both sides. How come no one talks about moving Callahan to LW and let him play on the first-line with Richards and Gaborik?
I would look good on the first line with Richards and Gaborik. Put Feds or Avery or someone who needs better players to make them better in there. Cally makes the players around him better and that is needed in places other than the first line.

Its an interesting thought for sure and knowing Torts we might see it in camp, but I doubt he will be there for any length of time.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I guess I wouldn't hurt giving it a try. But I personally think that Callahan has looked to good with Dubinsky to split them up.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:56 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Last time he did it his game just didn't look the same, given, it was a small sample size. Already tried this experiment and it failed though. I can see him on the first powerplay unit, second line, first PK unit...he'll get plenty of minutes, might as well try not to lean on him too much...especially not at an unnatural position

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

He's not offensively gifted enough.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:00 PM
CM PUNK

if you are gonna split up the pack line then it makes alot more sense to put dubinsky on the top line since he is actually a LW and a perfect fit for that line. doesn't make sense to me to put callahan on LW to leave dubi on the 2nd line.

Now if we made a trade for a top 6 RW then a shift to LW might make sense.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:11 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCenafearsTheRock View Post
Cally, Gabby, Stepan, Anisimov ...all these suggestions for LW and people seem to forget that none of them have played LW, let alone played it effectively in their careers. Had another poster say Gabby has proven he can play either wing earlier this week when he's never played that side in the NHL.

Not every player can play both wings interchangably. Can we stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes and just let Wolski do his thing? This will work itself out - hell whoever plays there will have Gabby and Richards - it'll be fine.

At worst it's gonna be:

Dubi - Richards - Gabby
Wolski - Stepan - Cally

And we have scoring depth on the 3rd and 4th lines so we are fine.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I seem to remember Callahan playing (and playing well) on the left wing with Gomez and Zherdev. Maybe I'm remembering improperly.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
He's not offensively gifted enough.
This is a gigantic misconception. It stems back to Cally's projected potential when he was in the AHL and his first year in the NHL. Since then, he's proved that he has the right combination of unstoppable desire AND skill to play on any line, with any players. Callahan would not look out of place on any first line in the NHL. Does that mean he'd be playing in that spot on those teams over other more skilled offensive players? Of course not. But he would not look out of place in any way, shape or form. He can finish. He has a great shot. He has quick hands, and he'll do anything to make a play. Every team wants a player like Cally, and not just for their third line. If Cally finds more chemistry with Richards and Gaborik than Dubinsky, Feds, Avery, or any other experimental player in that spot, then you ride the wave until it fails or you need Cally to jumpstart another struggling line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSgIZjJSbVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ZbsgljLII

I haven't seen Cally play much LW at all. I honestly don't remember ever seeing him at LW except on powerplays. I don't doubt that he could make the adjustment and be just as productive in that spot. We have a lot of good options up and down the lineup. It's a much better problem to have than "Where can we stick Christensen / Frolov / Drury / etc"

WE WANT THE CU.... SEASON TO START!

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 07-14-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
JimmyStart*

With the variety of injuries these three would have it'd have to be called the head shoulders knees and toes line lol

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Its simply not going to happen. It likely will never even be tried.

07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
This is a gigantic misconception. It stems back to Cally's projected potential when he was in the AHL and his first year in the NHL. Since then, he's proved that he has the right combination of unstoppable desire AND skill to play on any line, with any players. Callahan would not look out of place on any first line in the NHL. Does that mean he'd be playing in that spot on those teams over other more skilled offensive players? Of course not. But he would not look out of place in any way, shape or form. He can finish. He has a great shot. He has quick hands, and he'll do anything to make a play. Every team wants a player like Cally, and not just for their third line. If Cally finds more chemistry with Richards and Gaborik than Dubinsky, Feds, Avery, or any other experimental player in that spot, then you ride the wave until it fails or you need Cally to jumpstart another struggling line.

I haven't seen Cally play much LW at all. I honestly don't remember ever seeing him at LW except on powerplays. I don't doubt that he could make the adjustment and be just as productive in that spot. We have a lot of good options up and down the lineup. It's a much better problem to have than "Where can we stick Christensen / Frolov / Drury / etc"

One good game doesn't prove anything. I Rupp had a hat tick against us, he's not a good offensive player. And the Sens weren't really known as a strong defensive team this past year.

I watched him play a ton, the very most you can ask if for him to be a solid second liner. Most likely Dubi or W2 will be up their on the top line.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:34 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post

Yea cant believe people still trash his skills. Also to your second link. The comment box
"He just might be better than gretzky" Obviously joking
Response by someone "Ur ********** retarded." Troll or someone who cant take a joke

Old
07-14-2011, 11:05 PM
RangerFan10

It won't shock me at all if the first line right winger ends up being Cally and not Gaborik...but it'd be pointless to put Cally at LW

Old
07-14-2011, 11:14 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
One good game doesn't prove anything. I Rupp had a hat tick against us, he's not a good offensive player. And the Sens weren't really known as a strong defensive team this past year.

I watched him play a ton, the very most you can ask if for him to be a solid second liner. Most likely Dubi or W2 will be up their on the top line.
It's pretty funny that you mention W2 as a solution but completely dismiss Callahan as a possible first line player.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Huh? I never said anything about one game. I linked you to a couple of videos that simply highlight Callahan's underrated hands, quick shot, and his ability to read the play and score goals in many different ways. Yes, it's his work ethic and passion/desire that makes him a great player, but he's not without very good skills as well. Otherwise, he'd just be Jed Ortmeyer or Blair Betts. He's easily a 2nd liner. Now in a vacuum, he's not a 1st line player, and he wouldn't play over Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa on the first line, but he could play on ANY first line in the league and never look out of place. He'd be able to keep up with any top-line offensive players and he wouldn't hold anyone back. In fact, he'd probably make a lot of first lines even better because of how relentless he is, every shift. How many 1st liners can you say that about? I can't think of any. Callahan could score 40+ next to Crosby. He just plays the game the right way, every shift. He's arguably the most consistent player in the NHL in terms of work ethic and giving his best effort every single shift. That coupled with his above-average skills make him such a valuable player. And he's only 26.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I seem to remember Callahan playing (and playing well) on the left wing with Gomez and Zherdev. Maybe I'm remembering improperly.
When he first came up, the Callahan-Avery-Shanahan line was very successful.

I think the reason Callahan isn't mentioned is because Dubinsky brings much of the same strengths and requires less shuffling around.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

I think the reason Callahan isn't mentioned is because Dubinsky brings much of the same strengths and requires less shuffling around.
And because we're counting on Callahan in the 2nd RW slot in order to keep our depth looking good.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:33 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

Yeah but I'm pretty sure Shanahan is the one that played on the left on that line. And Shanny took most of the face-offs.

Old
07-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Yeah but I'm pretty sure Shanahan is the one that played on the left on that line. And Shanny took most of the face-offs.
I'm positive that Callahan was on the left and Shanahan the right.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:02 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:

...really? You honestly felt like that one game was the one and only game he could've....you mean to tell me you honestly didn't realize what he was...never mind.