HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Turgeon-Oates-Nieuwendyk

Old
07-15-2011, 12:38 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
despite the recent thoughtful debate on oates vs. turgeon, i still rate turgeon pretty low on the list of all-star centers of his era. i'll have to give it more thought, but nieuwendyk vs. turgeon is a pretty interesting comparison and i could go either way at the moment. there is no set of reasonable criteria, however, that could make me rate either one even close to oates, career or peak.
I more or less agree. The gap between Oates and Turgeon might not be all that big, but it's definitely there.

Turgeon vs. Nieuwendyk is indeed an interesting question. At some point the best second line center of his era has to be considered better than some level of first liner, even if Turgeon would make a better first liner. Does that make sense?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:11 AM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I more or less agree. The gap between Oates and Turgeon might not be all that big, but it's definitely there.

Turgeon vs. Nieuwendyk is indeed an interesting question. At some point the best second line center of his era has to be considered better than some level of first liner, even if Turgeon would make a better first liner. Does that make sense?
that's exactly what i found interesting about turgeon vs. nieuwendyk.

you'd definitely take, say, rod brind'amour over craig janney. would you take him over bernie nicholls? where do you draw the line?

i still have to give it more thought...

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote