HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011/2012 Hershey Lineups/Pairings

Old
07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
jwaltonhockey: Bears announce the signing of goaltender Daren Machesney to an AHL contract for 2011-12 in addition to the news on Micflikier today.

Cheese.
I bet Grubauer spends the whole year in the ECHL and Cheese warms the bench in Hershey if there is a callup/injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Holtby
Sabourin

Grubauer (ECHL to start)

D
P McNeill Orlov
Wellar* Collins
Richmond Miskovic
plus Flemming and Baier*
Other D: Stevenson, Brouillette*, Oreskovic*

F
Bourque Aucoin Mink*
Greentree Perreault Potulny
Kane* Eakin/Sjogren Ford/Bouchard
Lacroix* Hanson Kugryshev
de Kastrozza* Carroll* GMitchell
Paquette
Do you have any confirmations of the Carroll, De Kastrozza, Lacroix, Oreskovic signings or it's just speculation?

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

Again, I put that line combo roster together very quickly just in response to the poster wanting to see something and of course, it's already dated with the additional signings.

Brs03 - I had the same thought about Grubauer, but given goalie depth needs the last few years (yes, I know Varlamov is not in the organization anymore) and the minor league scheduling of games, could be as simple as wanting a solid tandem in the ECHL and Machesney is there for call-ups to the AHL as people have noted. For those who might not realize it, Machesney played more games at the ECHL level last season, not the AHL. As far as goalies and SC, Shane Owen was extended a qualifying offer by SC so for now, they return his ECHL playing rights...he's the only other possible goalie in the system at this time.

Some other things to note about Grubauer... I haven't seen anything to indicate that Kingston expects him back and he does take up an overage spot plus an import spot on an OHL roster. I need to confirm this, but based on his late in the year birthdate and the CBA rules, if he doesn't play in NHL games this year, I believe his NHL contract is going to slide again and there will still be 3 years on his NHL contract whether he plays in the AHL/ECHL/CHL. I will check and update this, but pretty confident this is correct (and what happened with Holtby in his first pro season.)

To the poster who asked about the AHL (non-NHL contract players listed) - yes, there were reports for each player that they are under contract for the 2011-12 season. Also, the list is posted in the contracts thread for reference purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
I thought DiMichell was in there somewhere too? My hopes are Greentree is on the way out. Nice but nothing great. MicFlicker would be a nice upgrade there.
DeMichiel was on a one year contract and based on the season and being loaned out, not sure why anyone would have expected him back even before the Machesney signing.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-15-2011 at 09:05 AM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Again, I put that line combo roster together very quickly just in response to the poster wanting to see something and of course, it's already dated with the additional signings.

Brs03 - I had the same thought about Grubauer, but given goalie depth needs the last few years (yes, I know Varlamov is not in the organization anymore) and the minor league scheduling of games, could be as simple as wanting a solid tandem in the ECHL and Machesney is there for call-ups to the AHL as people have noted. For those who might not realize it, Machesney played more games at the ECHL level last season, not the AHL. As far as goalies and SC, Shane Owen was extended a qualifying offer by SC so for now, they return his ECHL playing rights...he's the only other possible goalie in the system at this time.

Some other things to note about Grubauer... I haven't seen anything to indicate that Kingston expects him back and he does take up an overage spot plus an import spot on an OHL roster. I need to confirm this, but based on his late in the year birthdate and the CBA rules, if he doesn't play in NHL games this year, I believe his NHL contract is going to slide again and there will still be 3 years on his NHL contract whether he plays in the AHL/ECHL/CHL. I will check and update this, but pretty confident this is correct (and what happened with Holtby in his first pro season.)

To the poster who asked about the AHL (non-NHL contract players listed) - yes, there were reports for each player that they are under contract for the 2011-12 season. Also, the list is posted in the contracts thread for reference purposes.

DeMichiel was on a one year contract and based on the season and being loaned out, not sure why anyone would have expected him back even before the Machesney signing.
Except that at the ECHL level Machesney was mediocre at best and wasn't even the starter on any of the 3 teams that he played for.

Why not re-sign Ford for SC?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:49 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Thanks sk8. Reading the WaPo story on Grubauer this morning it looks like ECHL may have been the plan all along, which doesn't surprise me. In which case having Machesney in for added depth makes a ton of sense, so that they might not ever need Grubauer to start at the AHL level if they don't think he's ready.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

As to Machesney, my point is it sounded like some people were surprised to see Machesney tagged to start the season in the ECHL and not sure why that should surprise anyone. As to Ford, not sure why re-signing Ford would make much sense over signing Machesney. Also worth noting that Yingst/Prior/Kolzig are all familiar with Machesney given his history with the organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Thanks sk8. Reading the WaPo story on Grubauer this morning it looks like ECHL may have been the plan all along, which doesn't surprise me. In which case having Machesney in for added depth makes a ton of sense, so that they might not ever need Grubauer to start at the AHL level if they don't think he's ready.
Haven't read the story, but ECHL looked to be the plan all along, I think is the case... didn't know anyone was questioning that...he was slotted as the 5th to start the season like Holtby and Neuvirth have been in the past. Anyway, the only issue is whether or not that is still the plan, I assume it is, but an overage CHL season or other place to play could be an option, too, is all.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Wpg Jets Fan

Jacob McFlicker

Washington Capitals fans,

I cannot find the details to McFlicker's contract with Washington. I was curious if his contract was a two way or straight AHL contract. Thanks for your help.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Langway
Intangibles

NHL two-way deal.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
As to Machesney, my point is it sounded like some people were surprised to see Machesney tagged to start the season in the ECHL and not sure why that should surprise anyone. As to Ford, not sure why re-signing Ford would make much sense over signing Machesney. Also worth noting that Yingst/Prior/Kolzig are all familiar with Machesney given his history with the organization.
Because if this is a signing for SC, Ford is a better ECHL goaltender than Machesney in addition to having familiarity with that organization for the past 2 seasons.

Yes, management is familiar with Machesney, familiar enough that they let him walk when he became a free agent. He had a promising rookie season in Hershey (probably should have played more than Cassivi that season), but that was by far his best season. His AHL numbers since then are below average as are his ECHL numbers.

In any event, hopefully Machesney won't be in a Bears sweater and won't hurt the Stingrays all that much.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
NHL two-way deal.
Thanks rod!

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Habs fan here from PA.

Following the Caps as my second team now since they acquired Hamrlik. And am thinking about attending quite a few Bears games too this year. Hope to see Dmitry Orlov in action amongst others.

Grew up watching the Bears and decided to renew my interest in them.

Good luck to the Bears and Caps this season!

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:25 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Because if this is a signing for SC, Ford is a better ECHL goaltender than Machesney in addition to having familiarity with that organization for the past 2 seasons.

Yes, management is familiar with Machesney, familiar enough that they let him walk when he became a free agent. He had a promising rookie season in Hershey (probably should have played more than Cassivi that season), but that was by far his best season. His AHL numbers since then are below average as are his ECHL numbers.

In any event, hopefully Machesney won't be in a Bears sweater and won't hurt the Stingrays all that much.
First you are making the assumption that the Stingrays wanted Ford back and that Ford wanted to return (I don't know about either???.) Second you are assuming Hershey had any interest in offering Ford an AHL contract. There's also the issue of who they want paired with a developing prospect if they do plan to have Grubauer starting in the ECHL as most expect. As to Machesney, definitely has had some struggles. However, it's not like Ford at the AHL level has been anything to write home about, he hasn't been.

I'm not saying that Machesney is the best signing ever, didn't say anything like that, just offering some of the reasons they may have signed him.

For the person who asked, as shown in the stickied contracts thread, known contracts to date:

AHL Contracts with Hershey for the 2011-2012 Season:

- Daren Machesney, G

- Paul Baier, D
- Julien Brouillette, D
- Phil Oreskovic, D
- Patrick Wellar, D

- Andrew Carroll, C
- David de Kastrozza, W
- Boyd Kane, LW
- Maxime Lacroix, W
- Graham Mink, RW

Old
07-15-2011, 11:50 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
First you are making the assumption that the Stingrays wanted Ford back and that Ford wanted to return (I don't know about either???.) Second you are assuming Hershey had any interest in offering Ford an AHL contract. There's also the issue of who they want paired with a developing prospect if they do plan to have Grubauer starting in the ECHL as most expect. As to Machesney, definitely has had some struggles. However, it's not like Ford at the AHL level has been anything to write home about, he hasn't been.

I'm not saying that Machesney is the best signing ever, didn't say anything like that, just offering some of the reasons they may have signed him.
You make a valid point. I only would think that since Ford did pretty well for SC that they would want him back. I'd also think that he's want to return to a team that he's familiar with rather than start from scratch, especially in a nice city like Charleston.

I didn't think about Grubauer starting though. I was just thinking about signing the better ECHL goaltender, who is Ford. I wouldn't be in a rush to sign a goalie who struggled for not 1, not 2, but 3 teams last year.