HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Top Left Wingers

Old
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Me too, I want no part of him

How is Lucic a maybe? He's going no where

I hate Doan, so overrated its unbelievable.
How could you hate Shane Doan? He's Callahan intensified.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
NYRKING30

vCash: 500
bobby ryan would look amazing on that first line.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Me too, I want no part of him

How is Lucic a maybe? He's going no where

I hate Doan, so overrated its unbelievable.
For the right package I'm sure Boston would move him--Tell me he wouldn't look good in a Ranger jersey on the first or second line.That's why I wrote maybe next to his name.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
howztheglass

[QUOTE=Brian Boyle;35027553]How could you hate Shane Doan? He's Callahan intensified.[/QUOTE

Got to agree with BB--Doan is 1 of my favorite non Ranger players--I find it hard not to like Doan.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:28 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
bobby ryan would look amazing on that first line.
Bobby Ryan's not a left wing--but he would look amazing on the first line.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:32 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

I really don't get the Bobby Ryan obsession.

He's so freaking overrated. He'd barely crack the 60 point barrier without padding his stats with two all-stars.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post

He's so freaking overrated. He'd barely crack the 60 point barrier without padding his stats with two all-stars.
Youth Size and talent all there he reminds me of a young E.Lindros.Do you remember what Phil gave up to Quebec for Lindros a huge package.

Not saying the Ranger's go there but I believe that why everyone is so high on Ryan.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

71 point scoring 24 year old.

Tell me with a straight face you wouldn't grab him and enjoy watching him feed off of Richards and Gaborik.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:44 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
71 point scoring 24 year old.

Tell me with a straight face you wouldn't grab him and enjoy watching him feed off of Richards and Gaborik.
I would like him on the line with them, sure, but I don't get why everyone is so in love with him. Good player, yes, but he's no Getzlaf or Perry.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I would like him on the line with them, sure, but I don't get why everyone is so in love with him. Good player, yes, but he's no Getzlaf or Perry.
Not a lot of people are.

He's a very good young player though. Just because he plays with 2 elite talents like that doesn't mean he's not a very good player in his own right. Dare I bring up Letang?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Bobby Ryan is an absolute beast. He might not be a getzlaf or a perry but he is an upper echelon player in league for sure. Would kill to have him on this team.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

No, you don't dare. :p

Old
07-14-2011, 05:50 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Bobby Ryan's not a left wing--but he would look amazing on the first line.
He does play LW actually

Old
07-14-2011, 05:57 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
He does play LW actually
Ok my bad--thanks for letting me know I thought he was a center--but playing with Getzlaf I should have known better.

Old
07-14-2011, 07:15 PM
NYRKING30

he is only going to get better. now if it was last year id say perry or ryan but after the mvp year perry had. he isn't going anywhere. ryan would be a real nice compliment on a line with richards and gaborik. never happening though

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:55 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
How could you hate Shane Doan? He's Callahan intensified.
I'm not saying he isn't decent, he's just glorified... for what? 30 goals twice, all of his Canadian world championship appearances? Him and Rick Nash, I don't get it. I won't deny talent and ability, but their resumes do not justify the accolades.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
he is only going to get better. now if it was last year id say perry or ryan but after the mvp year perry had. he isn't going anywhere. ryan would be a real nice compliment on a line with richards and gaborik. never happening though
Yeah true. That being said, i'd give up an arm and a leg for him. Dangle some of our young D, prospect and roster.

Old
07-14-2011, 08:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

You know what?

I'd be willing to pay the price to get Loui Eriksson in a Ranger jersey.

My mancrush for him is just too large

07-14-2011, 08:05 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
You know what?

I'd be willing to pay the price to get Loui Eriksson in a Ranger jersey.

My mancrush for him is just too large
Def put me in that camp as well. Without Richards, Loui is now probably the best player on that team though. Unless the Dallas ownership issue is going to force them to go low salary and rebuild, he's not going anywhere

Old
07-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
I was just looking around on NHL.com for some of the top left winger in the NHL and I have come up with a rather long list of who might and might not be available.

Benn-Dallas(Highly doubt they would move him).
Boedker-Phx(talent is there).
Booth-Fla(Not the same player he was-but still a top left winger).
Bourque-Cal(I wish--would cost ALOT).
Cammalleri-Mont(staying put).
Clowe-S.J(again-I wish and would cost ALOT).
Eriksson-Dallas(Highly doubt they would move him either).
Heatley-S.J(Just traded).
Holmstrom-Det(Not available).
Huselius-C.B.J(Injured).
Kane-Wpg(Would cost a boat load).
Kostitsyn-Mont(I would take chance on him).
Kunitz-Pitts(Highly doubt they would move him playing with Crosby).
Ladd-Wpg(Not available).
Lucic-Boston(Maybe)
Malone-T.B(Available--might be a good vet--looking like he's on the downside).
Michalek-Ott(2 years ago I would say yes--Now pass).
Moulson--Isl(miss the boat on him but we got Boyle).
Neal-Pitts(He might play with Crosby if not Kunitz).
Ovechkin-Wash(Not a chance in HELL).
Pacioretty-Mont(Not available).
Parise-N.J-(Maybe after this season if he only signs a 1 year deal).
Penner-L.A(Pass).
Perron-St.L(Pass).
Sedin D-Van(Not available).
Semin-Wash(Available for the right price I would go after him).
Sharp-Chic(Don't believe they would move him).
Vanek-Buff(yeah right Not available)
Wolski-N.Y(already with us).
Zetterberg-Det(Not available).

So when it's all said and done how many top left wingers are available 4-5 maybe so why cut WW.I'm not a big Wolski fan but I don't see us making a hugh trade for 1 of these top left wingers so maybe Wolski turns it around this season playing on the second line if not it going to take alot to aquire a top rated left wing.

Fire away--hopefully I didn't miss anyone.
Nice work…Great list. Let’s play GM for a day. In no particular order here’s my take on the players mentioned and the potential deals I would chase to try and make it happen.

Jamie Benn : Age - 22 6-2 205lbs
Cap Hit $821,667 RFA at the end of 2012

Watching Benn play last year left me with the impression that this kid is going to be an elite top line talent very soon. He was physical, not just in the sense that he hits, and drops the mitts from time to time, but physical in the sense that he is tough to contain. Was able to impose will on the Rangers defense when he played them. I thought he moved really well for a big guy. He can snipe goals, and posted back to back 20 goal seasons. Familiarity with Richards a plus, age is great. If I had to guess on value I’m thinking offers Start with a 2012 1ST rounder and Dylan McIlrath. Maybe a top prospect to boot. The Stars might be sore that the Rangers just snatched Richards from them for nothing. However, the Rangers have lots of assets that might be able to bring him here. I’m one of McIlraths biggest supporters, however. If Benn could be had for a package of say 2012 1st, McIlrath then I would do it. Would sweeten the deal with Zuccarello. I would heavily chase a deal for Jamie Benn

David Booth : Age -28 6’ 212lbs
Cap hit $4,250,000 Signed through 2014/15

Damaged goods means the Panthers will probably let him go relatively cheap. When healthy, he seems to be a true goal scorer who’s dangerous around the net. The skill level is certainly there. The big question of course is the ability to take punishment with all the concussions. The risk factor is high, but that drops his value. Salary needs to go the other way as he has a fairly hefty cap hit. Potential value I’m guessing could be Wolski straight up. Fla would get out of the longer termed contract. Booth has regressed despite getting icetime this past year. His plus/minus was abysmal! Granted he was on the lowly Panthers. I do think Booth is a better player than his statistics showed from last year. Despite the contract which I feel is on the hefty side considering the return if the Rangers could trade him straight up for Wolski I think I would pull the trigger. Definitely not my first choice, and I wouldn’t chase a deal for him, but if it was presented and maybe even sweetened by the Panthers with a pick or prospect then I’d be game.

Rene Bourque : Age 29 6-2 213lbs
Cap Hit $3.333,333 Signed through 2015/16

Left handed shot, but is a natural RW. Gritty, works hard and contributes. But…he can score. Averaged 25 goals over the past three seasons and did so with far lesser quality centers than Brad Richards. Also did so despite missing 35 games in that span. He’s pretty consistent and the cap hit isn’t overbearing for the return. He’s a decent option, but I don’t think he has any “wow factor” to him. Can play physical but not his forte. If I had to guess on a value I’m thinking Sean Avery plus a 3rd rounder and maybe a mid level prospect. The Flames and the Rangers have been good partners over recent years. I never rule out a trade with them. I also wouldn’t chase a deal for Bourque.

Ryan Clowe : Age 28 6-2 225lbs
Cap Hit $3,625,000 Signed through 2012/13

Clowe is exactly what I would be looking for to play alongside Richards and Gaborik. He’s a top 6 guy who will give his linemates all kinds of room out there. He is super physical both in the sense that he is a fighter, and an excellent one at that, and a guy that likes to play a heavy forecheck. Over the past two seasons he’s averaged 154Hits. His size though and ferocity is what can wear down defenses over a 7 game series. 32 fights over the past three seasons…he only lost 2 of them! Being he is a skilled guy that can kick ass too, he fits into a new mold of tough guy. A top 6 tough guy, and one that doesn’t hurt you as a liability, but carries a bigger rep especially when playing against opposing clubs top 6…other than Boston not too many clubs have a great counter for a physical top 6. I don’t want to take away from his talent level though. He can play the game. Averaging 21 goals per season, and an average of 178shots.Hes solid in the corners and wins a lot of battles, but is super tough to contain down low. If the Rangers were able to land him, and rolled out a top 6 with him, Dubi and Callahan I don’t think that’s a lineup that too many players are going to want to go up against. There would be no easy games against the Rangers. Add legit top talent like Richards and Gaborik and I’d put that top 6 against any in the league. He is a player that I would absolutely chase, and would actually be one of my number 1 targets if I got to play GM. I’d start the bidding with Derek Stepan(Who is one of my favorite players) MDZ, and a 2012 2nd rounder.

Evander Kane : Age 20 6’2 190lbs
Cap Hit $3,100,000 Signed through 2011/2012

He’s feisty, he’s physical, and he’s has that separation gear to his game. At 19 years old he’s budding superstar! He got off a whopping 234 shots on goal this past year. He’s going to be deadly when he grows into his frame. Problem is, Kane is Winnepeg’s franchise player and he is going to cost bundles of assets. I think he may be just a little out of reach, however I think a package of 2012 1st rounder, Derek Stepan, Michael Del Zotto and one of Kundratek, Pashinin, or V-tank would be the value. I would chase this deal as I think Kane is going to be a stud. Only hesitation is his contract I believe is over at the end of this year. He’s getting paid good money already and will probably look to command more. Wouldn’t offer a penny, pick or prospect more than the aforementioned offer but I would need to know that he would 100% want to be in NY…and why wouldn’t he?

Andrei Kostitsyn : Age 26 6’0 208lbs
Cap Hit : $3,250,000 Signed through 2011/12

OK, so this guy has been brought up a few times already here. I’ll admit, he’s a good player, and I like his game. He’s a physical player throws the body well and he can probably fit into Tortorella’s style of hockey. Strictly as a player, Kostitsyn I think could fit the bill. He’s never really been a top line guy but he’s never played with talent like Gaborik and Richards either. Plus, he’s not elite, not even close so the pricetag shouldn’t be too high. Add to that his unrestricted free agent status at the end of the season and he could be a rental at the trade deadline. His value…Wolski straight up. I wouldn’t openly Chase this deal, however I’d listen to offers, and make sure that Mtl knew we were open for business here but it’s pending UFA for pending UFA straight up.

Milan Lucic : Age 23 6’3 228lbs
Cap Hit : $4,083,333 Signed through 2012/13

Starting with I don’t think he’s going anywhere because he is reaching cult hero status in Boston. Lucic would be an absolute homerun. When a guy like him comes to your team he changes the dynamic. Like Graves did when he came to the Rangers. You know he’s going to take care of business on his end, and during his tenure you won’t have to worry about your top end talent getting pushed around. Gaborik’s not gonna get smacked by a Daniel Carcillo. Anyone remember the fits Jagr used to have when Komisarek used to bully him in the corners against MTL. A Lucic counters that incredibly well and lets your studs do their thing. Same as Clowe, Lucic would give his linemates all the room they need to out there, and he obviously punishes the opposition in the process. Seriously, one of the best hitters in the game, and he absolutely crushes people when he does it. Lucic is clearly not the most talented guy but falls right into my theory as power forward that imposes his will. I think the guy carries far more than his skills would suggest simply because when playing against opposing top 6 players they simply don’t have an answer to his physical game. This guy scored 30 last year…and he did it because he wouldn’t let other teams contain him. He would fit perfectly…PERFECTLY into Tortorella’s system. However, as mentioned earlier he’s probably not going anywhere. It’s funny to think that Lucic might carry the same worth as Kessel did. But…I think that just might be the case here. In guessing on his value, offers start with 2 first rounders, plus… Or, maybe Kredier plus 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and Brian Boyle. Only thing the Ranger might have on their side here is Gordon…Other than that, I think Lucic is going to be a Bruin for a very long time. I would chase this deal hard and would be prepared to offer a lot to get him here.

James Neal : Age 23 6’2 210lbs
Cap Hit : $2,875,000 Signed through 2011/12

So, maybe the Rangers missed a boat a little here. I can’t confirm, but I remember reading somewhere that Richards was a little disappointed at the Neal trade. That they were buddies. I can’t help but wonder if Neiuwedyk had a feeling that these two were thinking of playing together in NY someday? But whatever, it’s doen he’s a Penguin and has arguably the best player in the game as his center now. The Pens see the value in adding physical players into their system to play alongside their superstars. Neal fits the bill. He’s tough, he plays hard, he’s young… and he’s averaged 24 goals over the past two seasons. Through natural progression I think you are going to see him grow into a 65pt producer netting 30 goals a year someday…but also I see him as a guy that is going to be that workhorse for his linemates. A one two punch on the left side of Neal and Dubinsky wouldn’t be fun to play against. In Pitt I don’t think he settled into his role, and granted Crosby was out with the concussion so we don’t know what kind of chemistry they have there. In NY I think he’s a good fit for familiarity to Richards, and again he fits the mold of what I think would work alongside the new top line. As of now the cap hit is very affordable but he’s RFA at years end and if he does play with Sid the kid he’s probably going to increase his point totals. Also needs to be considered that Pitt has three key RFA’s they will need to resign at the seasons end Neal being one of them plus Kunitz who is a UFA If he reaches 55 this season I think $4.5 cap hit would be his range on his next contract. If I had to guess on value I’m thinking Boyle, Michael Del Zotto and A 2ND round pick. Or Anisimov and a 2nd rounder or one of V-tank, Pashinin od Kundratek. I think Pitt would pass that up, so I wouldn’t chase it too hard.

Max Pacioretty : Age 22, 6’2 203lbs
Cap Hit : $1,625,000 Signed through 2012/13

I read a post in here maybe (bobop) that Pacioretty was a huge Rangers fan growing up. Love to see that! No idea what he’s going to turn into only saw him a couple of times. I think he was one of the top prospects in Mtl. 7 pp goals last season in only 37 games. That’s good to see. No idea of the value here though as he is still raw. Don’t know enough to chase a deal for him.

Zach Parise : Age 26, 5’11 190lbs
Cap Hit : Unsigned still

Been one of my favorites for a long time. Ever since I heard he and Stepan trained together in the offseason I loved the idea of Parise coming to NY. American born kid, reaching his prime as a PPG player and with a legit center could potentially reach 100pt status. Guys a stud, and unfortunately he plays across the river. No idea what is happening in Jersey, but I would think that they are going to keep him around and look to stay a two superstar team. In Pairse you have a potential captain, and one of the best left wings in the game, I think top 5 for sure, and I would certainly put him in the top 10 best players in the game right now. Even with Richards, and Gaborik, Parise I feel would be the best player on the NY Rangers and I would love to see a Parise/Dubi/Callahan all in the top 6. Value is tremendous, im thinking a healthy Gaborik and would maybe add from there. i would chase this deal hard as Parise would always be atop my wish list if I was GM for a day.

Patrick Sharp : Age 29 6’1 181lbs
Cap Hit : $3,900,000 Signed through 2011/12

OK, so a free agent next season makes Sharp a potential rental this year IF Chicago isn’t a potential playoff team, which I am pretty sure they will be. In any event, Sharp is obviously a tremendous talent. He’s not a physical specimen, but he’s fast, he’s smart, and he’s consistent. Sharp however I think is a natural center which is obviously a position the Rangers are strong at currently. He though would add another veteran presence and he could potentially be a pretty good fit on the Dubi/cally line which brings me to his value. Im thinking it would cost Artem Anisimov plus a 2nd rounder or Michael Del Zotto to get him here. I wouldn’t chase it because I think Anisimov is progressing into a very good young second line center. You get better in the short term, but in the long term you are giving up sOme key pieces. If the team is poised for a run at the deadline I would think long and hard on this one buy wouldn’t chase it.

Scott Hartnell.: Age 29 6’2 210
Cap Hit : $4,200,000 Signed through 2012/13

I hate Hartnell, because he’s a royal pain in the ass to play against. That’s very telling about his game. You get alot of consistency with his game though. Another guy who is physical in every aspect of his game. He hits everyone, and he is tough to contain and deal with down low. Good in the corners, and worthy of top 6 minutes. Had some success in Philly on the PP also. Two years ago he had 8ppg and another 6 helpers. He’s going to create some space for his linemates but what might be the most appealing is I think his value is going to be lesser than a lot of the other players mentioned. With a $4.2 mil cap hit, Philly might want to take back less salary in a deal and don’t forget that They won’t want Wolski, but I think they will have a lot of interest in Del Zotto. Plus, with Wayne Simmonds there I have to wonder how expendable it makes Hartnell? Value I’m thinking Michael Del Zotto and Zuccarello. I wouldn’t chase this deal, but I do think the two rival clubs would be open to discussion.

Pass on the following
Boedker – Great player but not so certain he fits the bill.
Mike Cammaleri- Tremendous player, too small.
Eriksson- great player but now what I am looking for on a line with Richards
Heatley- Tremendous talent, and could be dangerous on the left side with Richards. But just curious… who would be the workhorse on this line? I gotta say I don’t think he is a possibility, unless a trade somehow involved Gaborik going back to Minnesota? …What the hell am I talking about here?
Thomas Holmstrom- Tremendous talent, no doubt. He’s a pain in the ass and he could give teams fits creating ice for Richards and Gaborik, however…He’s old as dirt.
Christian Huselius – Id pass on him completely. Big injury, but I don’t see the need to add him when Vinny Prospal might be a cheaper better alternative that you wouldn’t need to trade for.
Kunitz – Hasen’t completed a full season in 4 years. Pass.
Ladd- If they wanted him they could have gone after him via free agency
Ryan Malone – Pass, cap hit, contract, age, return on your money. Just don’t think a 31 yr old Ryan Malone is a top line player, and question if he is a top 6 at all.
Milan Michalek- Pass, Keep waiting for the big breakout year and has had tremendous talent for linemates.
Matt Moulson- I don’t think these clubs will ever swing a trade
Ovechkin- Pipedream
Penner- Pass here, I think there is a lot of inconsistency in Penners game and also feel he’s a 6’4 perimeter player who if he ever realized his size and strength he’s be s PPG producer.
Perron – Pass
Sedin- Never happening
Semin- I think he could be had, but with Gaborik and Richards I don’t think the trip is a good fit. Too many chiefs.
Vanek- He is to Buffalo what Gaborik needs to be to NY. Cap hit makes it impossible to fit unless large alary wen the other way. I think I would rather Gaborik.
Zetterburgh- Im thinking he’s staying put for sure.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:17 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Nice work…Great list. Let’s play GM for a day. In no particular order here’s my take on the players mentioned and the potential deals I would chase to try and make it happen.

Jamie Benn : Age - 22 6-2 205lbs
Cap Hit $821,667 RFA at the end of 2012

Watching Benn play last year left me with the impression that this kid is going to be an elite top line talent very soon. He was physical, not just in the sense that he hits, and drops the mitts from time to time, but physical in the sense that he is tough to contain. Was able to impose will on the Rangers defense when he played them. I thought he moved really well for a big guy. He can snipe goals, and posted back to back 20 goal seasons. Familiarity with Richards a plus, age is great. If I had to guess on value I’m thinking offers Start with a 2012 1ST rounder and Dylan McIlrath. Maybe a top prospect to boot. The Stars might be sore that the Rangers just snatched Richards from them for nothing. However, the Rangers have lots of assets that might be able to bring him here. I’m one of McIlraths biggest supporters, however. If Benn could be had for a package of say 2012 1st, McIlrath then I would do it. Would sweeten the deal with Zuccarello. I would heavily chase a deal for Jamie Benn

David Booth : Age -28 6’ 212lbs
Cap hit $4,250,000 Signed through 2014/15

Damaged goods means the Panthers will probably let him go relatively cheap. When healthy, he seems to be a true goal scorer who’s dangerous around the net. The skill level is certainly there. The big question of course is the ability to take punishment with all the concussions. The risk factor is high, but that drops his value. Salary needs to go the other way as he has a fairly hefty cap hit. Potential value I’m guessing could be Wolski straight up. Fla would get out of the longer termed contract. Booth has regressed despite getting icetime this past year. His plus/minus was abysmal! Granted he was on the lowly Panthers. I do think Booth is a better player than his statistics showed from last year. Despite the contract which I feel is on the hefty side considering the return if the Rangers could trade him straight up for Wolski I think I would pull the trigger. Definitely not my first choice, and I wouldn’t chase a deal for him, but if it was presented and maybe even sweetened by the Panthers with a pick or prospect then I’d be game.

Rene Bourque : Age 29 6-2 213lbs
Cap Hit $3.333,333 Signed through 2015/16

Left handed shot, but is a natural RW. Gritty, works hard and contributes. But…he can score. Averaged 25 goals over the past three seasons and did so with far lesser quality centers than Brad Richards. Also did so despite missing 35 games in that span. He’s pretty consistent and the cap hit isn’t overbearing for the return. He’s a decent option, but I don’t think he has any “wow factor” to him. Can play physical but not his forte. If I had to guess on a value I’m thinking Sean Avery plus a 3rd rounder and maybe a mid level prospect. The Flames and the Rangers have been good partners over recent years. I never rule out a trade with them. I also wouldn’t chase a deal for Bourque.

Ryan Clowe : Age 28 6-2 225lbs
Cap Hit $3,625,000 Signed through 2012/13

Clowe is exactly what I would be looking for to play alongside Richards and Gaborik. He’s a top 6 guy who will give his linemates all kinds of room out there. He is super physical both in the sense that he is a fighter, and an excellent one at that, and a guy that likes to play a heavy forecheck. Over the past two seasons he’s averaged 154Hits. His size though and ferocity is what can wear down defenses over a 7 game series. 32 fights over the past three seasons…he only lost 2 of them! Being he is a skilled guy that can kick ass too, he fits into a new mold of tough guy. A top 6 tough guy, and one that doesn’t hurt you as a liability, but carries a bigger rep especially when playing against opposing clubs top 6…other than Boston not too many clubs have a great counter for a physical top 6. I don’t want to take away from his talent level though. He can play the game. Averaging 21 goals per season, and an average of 178shots.Hes solid in the corners and wins a lot of battles, but is super tough to contain down low. If the Rangers were able to land him, and rolled out a top 6 with him, Dubi and Callahan I don’t think that’s a lineup that too many players are going to want to go up against. There would be no easy games against the Rangers. Add legit top talent like Richards and Gaborik and I’d put that top 6 against any in the league. He is a player that I would absolutely chase, and would actually be one of my number 1 targets if I got to play GM. I’d start the bidding with Derek Stepan(Who is one of my favorite players) MDZ, and a 2012 2nd rounder.

Evander Kane : Age 20 6’2 190lbs
Cap Hit $3,100,000 Signed through 2011/2012

He’s feisty, he’s physical, and he’s has that separation gear to his game. At 19 years old he’s budding superstar! He got off a whopping 234 shots on goal this past year. He’s going to be deadly when he grows into his frame. Problem is, Kane is Winnepeg’s franchise player and he is going to cost bundles of assets. I think he may be just a little out of reach, however I think a package of 2012 1st rounder, Derek Stepan, Michael Del Zotto and one of Kundratek, Pashinin, or V-tank would be the value. I would chase this deal as I think Kane is going to be a stud. Only hesitation is his contract I believe is over at the end of this year. He’s getting paid good money already and will probably look to command more. Wouldn’t offer a penny, pick or prospect more than the aforementioned offer but I would need to know that he would 100% want to be in NY…and why wouldn’t he?

Andrei Kostitsyn : Age 26 6’0 208lbs
Cap Hit : $3,250,000 Signed through 2011/12

OK, so this guy has been brought up a few times already here. I’ll admit, he’s a good player, and I like his game. He’s a physical player throws the body well and he can probably fit into Tortorella’s style of hockey. Strictly as a player, Kostitsyn I think could fit the bill. He’s never really been a top line guy but he’s never played with talent like Gaborik and Richards either. Plus, he’s not elite, not even close so the pricetag shouldn’t be too high. Add to that his unrestricted free agent status at the end of the season and he could be a rental at the trade deadline. His value…Wolski straight up. I wouldn’t openly Chase this deal, however I’d listen to offers, and make sure that Mtl knew we were open for business here but it’s pending UFA for pending UFA straight up.

Milan Lucic : Age 23 6’3 228lbs
Cap Hit : $4,083,333 Signed through 2012/13

Starting with I don’t think he’s going anywhere because he is reaching cult hero status in Boston. Lucic would be an absolute homerun. When a guy like him comes to your team he changes the dynamic. Like Graves did when he came to the Rangers. You know he’s going to take care of business on his end, and during his tenure you won’t have to worry about your top end talent getting pushed around. Gaborik’s not gonna get smacked by a Daniel Carcillo. Anyone remember the fits Jagr used to have when Komisarek used to bully him in the corners against MTL. A Lucic counters that incredibly well and lets your studs do their thing. Same as Clowe, Lucic would give his linemates all the room they need to out there, and he obviously punishes the opposition in the process. Seriously, one of the best hitters in the game, and he absolutely crushes people when he does it. Lucic is clearly not the most talented guy but falls right into my theory as power forward that imposes his will. I think the guy carries far more than his skills would suggest simply because when playing against opposing top 6 players they simply don’t have an answer to his physical game. This guy scored 30 last year…and he did it because he wouldn’t let other teams contain him. He would fit perfectly…PERFECTLY into Tortorella’s system. However, as mentioned earlier he’s probably not going anywhere. It’s funny to think that Lucic might carry the same worth as Kessel did. But…I think that just might be the case here. In guessing on his value, offers start with 2 first rounders, plus… Or, maybe Kredier plus 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and Brian Boyle. Only thing the Ranger might have on their side here is Gordon…Other than that, I think Lucic is going to be a Bruin for a very long time. I would chase this deal hard and would be prepared to offer a lot to get him here.

James Neal : Age 23 6’2 210lbs
Cap Hit : $2,875,000 Signed through 2011/12

So, maybe the Rangers missed a boat a little here. I can’t confirm, but I remember reading somewhere that Richards was a little disappointed at the Neal trade. That they were buddies. I can’t help but wonder if Neiuwedyk had a feeling that these two were thinking of playing together in NY someday? But whatever, it’s doen he’s a Penguin and has arguably the best player in the game as his center now. The Pens see the value in adding physical players into their system to play alongside their superstars. Neal fits the bill. He’s tough, he plays hard, he’s young… and he’s averaged 24 goals over the past two seasons. Through natural progression I think you are going to see him grow into a 65pt producer netting 30 goals a year someday…but also I see him as a guy that is going to be that workhorse for his linemates. A one two punch on the left side of Neal and Dubinsky wouldn’t be fun to play against. In Pitt I don’t think he settled into his role, and granted Crosby was out with the concussion so we don’t know what kind of chemistry they have there. In NY I think he’s a good fit for familiarity to Richards, and again he fits the mold of what I think would work alongside the new top line. As of now the cap hit is very affordable but he’s RFA at years end and if he does play with Sid the kid he’s probably going to increase his point totals. Also needs to be considered that Pitt has three key RFA’s they will need to resign at the seasons end Neal being one of them plus Kunitz who is a UFA If he reaches 55 this season I think $4.5 cap hit would be his range on his next contract. If I had to guess on value I’m thinking Boyle, Michael Del Zotto and A 2ND round pick. Or Anisimov and a 2nd rounder or one of V-tank, Pashinin od Kundratek. I think Pitt would pass that up, so I wouldn’t chase it too hard.

Max Pacioretty : Age 22, 6’2 203lbs
Cap Hit : $1,625,000 Signed through 2012/13

I read a post in here maybe (bobop) that Pacioretty was a huge Rangers fan growing up. Love to see that! No idea what he’s going to turn into only saw him a couple of times. I think he was one of the top prospects in Mtl. 7 pp goals last season in only 37 games. That’s good to see. No idea of the value here though as he is still raw. Don’t know enough to chase a deal for him.

Zach Parise : Age 26, 5’11 190lbs
Cap Hit : Unsigned still

Been one of my favorites for a long time. Ever since I heard he and Stepan trained together in the offseason I loved the idea of Parise coming to NY. American born kid, reaching his prime as a PPG player and with a legit center could potentially reach 100pt status. Guys a stud, and unfortunately he plays across the river. No idea what is happening in Jersey, but I would think that they are going to keep him around and look to stay a two superstar team. In Pairse you have a potential captain, and one of the best left wings in the game, I think top 5 for sure, and I would certainly put him in the top 10 best players in the game right now. Even with Richards, and Gaborik, Parise I feel would be the best player on the NY Rangers and I would love to see a Parise/Dubi/Callahan all in the top 6. Value is tremendous, im thinking a healthy Gaborik and would maybe add from there. i would chase this deal hard as Parise would always be atop my wish list if I was GM for a day.

Patrick Sharp : Age 29 6’1 181lbs
Cap Hit : $3,900,000 Signed through 2011/12

OK, so a free agent next season makes Sharp a potential rental this year IF Chicago isn’t a potential playoff team, which I am pretty sure they will be. In any event, Sharp is obviously a tremendous talent. He’s not a physical specimen, but he’s fast, he’s smart, and he’s consistent. Sharp however I think is a natural center which is obviously a position the Rangers are strong at currently. He though would add another veteran presence and he could potentially be a pretty good fit on the Dubi/cally line which brings me to his value. Im thinking it would cost Artem Anisimov plus a 2nd rounder or Michael Del Zotto to get him here. I wouldn’t chase it because I think Anisimov is progressing into a very good young second line center. You get better in the short term, but in the long term you are giving up sOme key pieces. If the team is poised for a run at the deadline I would think long and hard on this one buy wouldn’t chase it.

Scott Hartnell.: Age 29 6’2 210
Cap Hit : $4,200,000 Signed through 2012/13

I hate Hartnell, because he’s a royal pain in the ass to play against. That’s very telling about his game. You get alot of consistency with his game though. Another guy who is physical in every aspect of his game. He hits everyone, and he is tough to contain and deal with down low. Good in the corners, and worthy of top 6 minutes. Had some success in Philly on the PP also. Two years ago he had 8ppg and another 6 helpers. He’s going to create some space for his linemates but what might be the most appealing is I think his value is going to be lesser than a lot of the other players mentioned. With a $4.2 mil cap hit, Philly might want to take back less salary in a deal and don’t forget that They won’t want Wolski, but I think they will have a lot of interest in Del Zotto. Plus, with Wayne Simmonds there I have to wonder how expendable it makes Hartnell? Value I’m thinking Michael Del Zotto and Zuccarello. I wouldn’t chase this deal, but I do think the two rival clubs would be open to discussion.

Pass on the following
Boedker – Great player but not so certain he fits the bill.
Mike Cammaleri- Tremendous player, too small.
Eriksson- great player but now what I am looking for on a line with Richards
Heatley- Tremendous talent, and could be dangerous on the left side with Richards. But just curious… who would be the workhorse on this line? I gotta say I don’t think he is a possibility, unless a trade somehow involved Gaborik going back to Minnesota? …What the hell am I talking about here?
Thomas Holmstrom- Tremendous talent, no doubt. He’s a pain in the ass and he could give teams fits creating ice for Richards and Gaborik, however…He’s old as dirt.
Christian Huselius – Id pass on him completely. Big injury, but I don’t see the need to add him when Vinny Prospal might be a cheaper better alternative that you wouldn’t need to trade for.
Kunitz – Hasen’t completed a full season in 4 years. Pass.
Ladd- If they wanted him they could have gone after him via free agency
Ryan Malone – Pass, cap hit, contract, age, return on your money. Just don’t think a 31 yr old Ryan Malone is a top line player, and question if he is a top 6 at all.
Milan Michalek- Pass, Keep waiting for the big breakout year and has had tremendous talent for linemates.
Matt Moulson- I don’t think these clubs will ever swing a trade
Ovechkin- Pipedream
Penner- Pass here, I think there is a lot of inconsistency in Penners game and also feel he’s a 6’4 perimeter player who if he ever realized his size and strength he’s be s PPG producer.
Perron – Pass
Sedin- Never happening
Semin- I think he could be had, but with Gaborik and Richards I don’t think the trip is a good fit. Too many chiefs.
Vanek- He is to Buffalo what Gaborik needs to be to NY. Cap hit makes it impossible to fit unless large alary wen the other way. I think I would rather Gaborik.
Zetterburgh- Im thinking he’s staying put for sure.
Wow that's alot of good deals that you threw out there I would think long and hard on some of them.If I were GM for a day--Benn/Clowe are the 2 guys I would chase off of your list.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Wow that's alot of good deals that you threw out there I would think long and hard on some of them.If I were GM for a day--Benn/Clowe are the 2 guys I would chase off of your list.
Thx...me too. I am totally on board both of those players bandwagons.

I remember reading a quote somewhere about the team potentially looking to deal for a LW if Richards became a reality. I just don't know if that was speculation from a beat writer or if it was actually fromTortorella or someoen in the organization? Anyone know?

Old
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Youth Size and talent all there he reminds me of a young E.Lindros.Do you remember what Phil gave up to Quebec for Lindros a huge package.

Not saying the Ranger's go there but I believe that why everyone is so high on Ryan.
Physically I can see the comparison but lindros had elite vision and playmaking ability. I see Ryan as much more of a finisher. Lindros had it all. He was a generational talent.

But that's a bad comparison to use because Philly gave up so much and didn't win a cup while forsberg went on to win two with the nordiques franchise.

I'd love Bobby Ryan or Lucic but neither are available for anything remotely resembling reasonable.

Hemsky is likely moved at the deadline if healthy and would be somewhat reasonable.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Physically I can see the comparison but lindros had elite vision and playmaking ability. I see Ryan as much more of a finisher. Lindros had it all. He was a generational talent.

But that's a bad comparison to use because Philly gave up so much and didn't win a cup while forsberg went on to win two with the nordiques franchise.

I'd love Bobby Ryan or Lucic but neither are available for anything remotely resembling reasonable.

Hemsky is likely moved at the deadline if healthy and would be somewhat reasonable.
Where does he fit?

Old
07-15-2011, 01:56 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Lion, how could Ericsson not be what you are looking for on a line with Richards? They excelled together in Dallas.