HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waiver eligibilty of Gustafsson/others?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2011, 11:31 AM
  #101
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You wrote this on the 14th. They were traded on the 23rd so it's quite a ways off from a month even though it feels like it.

Had to laugh at the person who said he likes the Pronger contract. That was one of Homer's biggest **** ups because he thought it wouldn't qualify as a +35. Wrong-o! We're stuck with that one for a long time and if he retires the cap hit implications will be huge.
35+ rule or not, they needed to lock up Pronger for some years to justify the trade. That they clearly didn't understand the rule (gave them the benefit of the doubt at the time) just is part of the evidence of the lack of attention to detail under Homer.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
  #102
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Lilja is a 35+ contract (which is why it was dumb to give him 2 years). He will be on the roster.
I realize that and agree; I worded that badly... I suppose though he has to play onto the playing six, just assuming Camp competition is legit.

... Have heard he was signed for his needed special abilities and will be counted on for mostly his PK talent and toughness/team player. We will see... and how his health hold up in spot situations is the question. I agree that two years is risky with his situation... I have to assume that that was the only way he'd sign, and they felt the risk was worth it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
  #103
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I realize that and agree... I suppose though he has to play onto the playing six, just assuming Camp competition is legit.

... Have heard he was signed for his needed special abilities and will be counted on for mostly his PK talent and toughness/team player. We will see... and how his health hold up in spot situations is the question. I agree that two years is risky with his situation... I have to assume that that was the only way he'd sign, and they felt the risk was worth it.
Lilja is coming off a 1-year 600K deal... I very much doubt too many teams were jumping up and down to offer him 2 years at twice that rate (given that he isn't very good). The contract is dumbfounding.

And top 6 or not, he will almost surely be at the NHL level the next two years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:27 PM
  #104
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Lilja is coming off a 1-year 600K deal... I very much doubt too many teams were jumping up and down to offer him 2 years at twice that rate (given that he isn't very good). The contract is dumbfounding.

And top 6 or not, he will almost surely be at the NHL level the next two years.
Again, I agree he will be on the roster.

Lilja is a $737.5K Cap so it is nowhere near twice the $600K last contract... Since he is a 35+ I have to believe that the second year was a deal breaker and he had other options, else he could be signed for one year and prove the second. There is no reason to believe that they would just hand over the second year if not needed... The way I look at it is, since we have no knowledge otherwise I will give the Flyers he benefit of the doubt.

What has me stumped is why OD wasn't offered a contract since he ended up wanting to play another year and obviously was willing to take a nice cut... The only thing I can see is that the Flyers from firsthand knowledge didn't like the way he was holding up over the season and figured another year older would only make it worse.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
  #105
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Again, I agree he will be on the roster.

Lilja is a $737.5K Cap so it is nowhere near twice the $600K last contract... Since he is a 35+ I have to believe that the second year was a deal breaker and he had other options, else he could be signed for one year and prove the second. There is no reason to believe that they would just hand over the second year if not needed... The way I look at it is, since we have no knowledge otherwise I will give the Flyers he benefit of the doubt.
Well, that's better. Capgeek needs to update their information, they have two different contracts filed.

Quote:
What has me stumped is why OD wasn't offered a contract since he ended up wanting to play another year and obviously was willing to take a nice cut... The only thing I can see is that the Flyers from firsthand knowledge didn't like the way he was holding up over the season and figured another year older would only make it worse.
Or OD decided he wasn't going to be winning a SC here next year after the trades and felt like he might have a better shot in Chicago. Lilja is a downgrade from OD, especially on a 2-year deal (wouldn't want OD for two years either).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:43 PM
  #106
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, that's better. Capgeek needs to update their information, they have two different contracts filed.



Or OD decided he wasn't going to be winning a SC here next year after the trades and felt like he might have a better shot in Chicago. Lilja is a downgrade from OD, especially on a 2-year deal (wouldn't want OD for two years either).
CapGeek currently has that Cap it.

If OD decided against the Flyers it would have to have been after the changes since he was singing the Flyers praises before, during the season... I get the impression though that he was no longer in their plans and he was never offered a contract; I could be wrong.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
  #107
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
CapGeek currently has that Cap it.
If you click on Lilja, they have another contract on his actual page.

Quote:
If OD decided against the Flyers it would have to have been after the changes since he was singing the Flyers praises before, during the season... I get the impression though that he was no longer in their plans and he was never offered a contract; I could be wrong.
Ah... of course he was singing the praises of the Flyers before and during the season.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:30 PM
  #108
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
CapGeek currently has that Cap it.

If OD decided against the Flyers it would have to have been after the changes since he was singing the Flyers praises before, during the season... I get the impression though that he was no longer in their plans and he was never offered a contract; I could be wrong.
Of course he was singing their praises, he was keeping all options open.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:18 PM
  #109
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If you click on Lilja, they have another contract on his actual page.



Ah... of course he was singing the praises of the Flyers before and during the season.
Cap Geek now has that page correct also... it has the two seasons before last season at $1.25M each... then last at $600K... and this season at $775K and next a $700K which averages out to the correct Cap hit of $737.5K

Maybe they had the past seasons flipped with the new contract.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=302



As to OD... He seems like a stand-up kinda guy, although a total team player hearing him talk at the Meet the Team even I welcomed hear and he went off on how happy he was to be in Philly and with the Flyers... seemed sincere and to a fan was in no way covering his ass with the Organization... That said; I hear you and I'm not so naive to not believe hat's the way of doing business, but I tend to think it more would be his changing his view AFTER the player changes. I also can buy into the Flyers losing faith in his physical condition and going with another and cheaper player who is more of a PK D-man.

We'll never know for sure.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:37 PM
  #110
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Not sure it makes sense to lose faith in OD's physical condition and then go for a guy with a concussion history.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
  #111
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not sure it makes sense to lose faith in OD's physical condition and then go for a guy with a concussion history.
Not unless they knew from first hand circumstances... I is pretty clear that he faded down the stretch and in the Postseason he was not the player he was early in the season. He will be 40 one week into the season and he plays physical. It is possible the team physicians may have warned he staff about what he can and cannot do... and hat with his late season play allowed the team to cut ties... Just speculating though, I admit it.

As for Lilja's history... that is an entirely independent decision, and I suppose they felt he was okay playing a limited role and worth he risk -- keep in mind Gagne with his history got much more than Lilja with LA -- I wouldn't have signed him and you wouldn't have signed him, but we don't have the resources the Flyers do for making the decision... Worst case, they are hit with a 6th-7th D-man's Cap hit on LTIR maybe... best case, he helps the PK and gives the needed depth in the Postseason. Had it been twice the Cap hit I'd be more concerned, but they may not have taken such a gambled with a 35+ player with that high a contract.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:31 PM
  #112
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Not unless they knew from first hand circumstances... I is pretty clear that he faded down the stretch and in the Postseason he was not the player he was early in the season. He will be 40 one week into the season and he plays physical. It is possible the team physicians may have warned he staff about what he can and cannot do... and hat with his late season play allowed the team to cut ties... Just speculating though, I admit it.

As for Lilja's history... that is an entirely independent decision, and I suppose they felt he was okay playing a limited role and worth he risk -- keep in mind Gagne with his history got much more than Lilja with LA -- I wouldn't have signed him and you wouldn't have signed him, but we don't have the resources the Flyers do for making the decision... Worst case, they are hit with a 6th-7th D-man's Cap hit on LTIR maybe... best case, he helps the PK and gives the needed depth in the Postseason. Had it been twice the Cap hit I'd be more concerned, but they may not have taken such a gambled with a 35+ player with that high a contract.
1. Gagne ain't 35.

2. Gagne doesn't suck (Lilja does).

3. Lilja sucks. Like, really, he sucks.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
  #113
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
1. Gagne ain't 35.

2. Gagne doesn't suck (Lilja does).

3. Lilja sucks. Like, really, he sucks.
Good point... Gags isn't a 35+ so the worst case risk is cash and not Cap... my apologies for using him as a risk comparison example.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:17 AM
  #114
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Some of theses 50 contracts will be gone come time the roster is set and the regular season starts. We may well be at 45 or less by then not all are going to make the club or the farm team some will be let go or maybe claimed on waviers.............

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:35 AM
  #115
Coppy
Registered User
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
Some of theses 50 contracts will be gone come time the roster is set and the regular season starts. We may well be at 45 or less by then not all are going to make the club or the farm team some will be let go or maybe claimed on waviers.............
This isn't the NFL where you can just "let a player go." Those contracts count no matter where they are. Even if the Flyers were to loan a player out, they would still count towards the contract limit.

The only way to get rid of those contracts is to trade them, or to waive them. And the only players that would be claimed off waivers would likely be players the Flyers shouldn't be waiving in the first place. Team's aren't going to take our trash for no reason. Added to that, waivers doesn't go into effect until 12 days before the start of the regular season. So until that time the Flyers could not bring any additional free agents in without trading away a contract first.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.